The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #1601
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Getting the Music in Middle-Earth book right into my appartment in Finland.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #1602
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
Lying in bed until 11 o'clock in the morning with the cat purring close by, watching the snowflakes falling outside. Also, spending an entire day just reading a good book. Ahh, those rare moments of peace...
Old 02-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #1603
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Listening to Tolkien reading some of the poems from Lord of the Rings and realising he sounds almost as if Elvish were his first language.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #1604
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Coloring anatomically accurate animal drawings with crayons, birch beer, and counting down the hours until I see my Stick.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #1605
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Coloring anatomically accurate animal drawings with crayons, birch beer, and [...]
Guess what I first thought when I read this!
Yeah - the drawing might get a bit sticky (no pun intended).
Old 02-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #1606
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'm assigning the first real winter we've had for quite a long time. I can't remember the last time it snowed so much for so long, especially in February. It snowed like in a fairy tale all day and now everything is white and soft and Faramir (erm, that is, the fir tree outside my window, I named him Faramir, you see...) looks quite charming with a thick coat of bright snow. I send him to the Shire too.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:55 PM   #1607
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimturiel View Post
I'm assigning the first real winter we've had for quite a long time. I can't remember the last time it snowed so much for so long, especially in February. It snowed like in a fairy tale all day and now everything is white and soft and Faramir (erm, that is, the fir tree outside my window, I named him Faramir, you see...) looks quite charming with a thick coat of bright snow. I send him to the Shire too.
Just wait and see. I'm about to reassign snow from the Shire to Orthanc - yes, it's beautiful, but having to shovel all the time gets rather tedious after a while, and taking two hours (instead of 45 minutes) to get home from work because our authorities are running out of salt for the motorways definitely sucks. All that's missing now is wolves crossing the frozen Brandywine...
Old 02-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #1608
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Just wait and see. I'm about to reassign snow from the Shire to Orthanc - yes, it's beautiful, but having to shovel all the time gets rather tedious after a while, and taking two hours (instead of 45 minutes) to get home from work because our authorities are running out of salt for the motorways definitely sucks. All that's missing now is wolves crossing the frozen Brandywine...
Wait - your authorities actually put down salt for you? Do they plow, too? My goodness...

And yes. Snow goes to Orthanc at least. But what should be assigned to the Shire is the wonderful warm spell in Alaska right now - hovering around freezing point. No need for coats, snow is melting, "spring" is almost here...what more could you want?
Old 02-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #1609
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
Wait - your authorities actually put down salt for you? Do they plow, too? My goodness...
Usually, they do both, at least for the motorways and other major roads, but they're having a hard time keeping it up at the moment, as it's getting increasingly hard to get any salt for love or money.
And yes, I do realize that from an Alaskan perspective, my complaints probably sound like those of a pampered spoiled brat!
Old 02-13-2010, 06:21 PM   #1610
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Usually, they do both, at least for the motorways and other major roads, but they're having a hard time keeping it up at the moment, as it's getting increasingly hard to get any salt for love or money.
And yes, I do realize that from an Alaskan perspective, my complaints probably sound like those of a pampered spoiled brat!
My dear, only the Big City (which admittedly has less than 300,000 people) gets plowed, and even that not fully. Most of us use snow machines or snowshoe or something when it really starts to snow. Most of the backroads are hand-shoveled out only far enough that the shovel-people can get to the highway. Mostly it all shuts down. I think there are supposed to be people to plow, but that never happens. Oh, and highway snow gets beaten down by traffic until you can't see the snow, only black ice (fine, you can't see black ice either). So...Alaskans expect driving-related delays.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:24 PM   #1611
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
My dear, only the Big City (which admittedly has less than 300,000 people) gets plowed, and even that not fully. Most of us use snow machines or snowshoe or something when it really starts to snow. Most of the backroads are hand-shoveled out only far enough that the shovel-people can get to the highway. Mostly it all shuts down. I think there are supposed to be people to plow, but that never happens. Oh, and highway snow gets beaten down by traffic until you can't see the snow, only black ice (fine, you can't see black ice either). So...Alaskans expect driving-related delays.
Only us folk that reside in said large city are safe from snow on the roads. . . Sometimes. Most other times there is packed down snow in the roads. The summer is not much better, what with the pot-holes and such. But for everything else, snow machines are the way to go.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #1612
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Only us folk that reside in said large city are safe from snow on the roads. . . Sometimes. Most other times there is packed down snow in the roads. The summer is not much better, what with the pot-holes and such. But for everything else, snow machines are the way to go.
Driving is actually better in the winter because the snow fills up the potholes, leaving an acutal road. Very handy. And four-wheelers in the summer. Or dog sled...I know people who do that. Or horse back, but those aren't as helpful once they start freezing to death. They're funny that way.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:07 PM   #1613
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Driving is actually better in the winter because the snow fills up the potholes, leaving an acutal road. Very handy. And four-wheelers in the summer. Or dog sled...I know people who do that. Or horse back, but those aren't as helpful once they start freezing to death. They're funny that way.
Yeah, not many people that I know keep horses because it's freezing for most of the year. I do like the winter because of the lack of pot holes. It is quite nice, except for the slickness. Just today, we slid down the driveway because of the packed down snow. We don't have a four wheeler, last time we went out places we went in our Expedition. That was a bad idea. We got sand in our car.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:21 AM   #1614
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I assign the support that BDers give to their fellow BDers and their willingness to help out toward an important cause. It is truly a sign of how close a community we really are when so many BDers are ready to back each other up and even sacrifice as a way to show their support. I appreciate what my fellow BDers have done for me this past month and am so proud to be among a group of such wonderful people.

I also assign giving something up that so many are unwilling to let go of in the name of a great cause. The experience and outcome are so rewarding that it is totally worth the sacrifice.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:57 AM   #1615
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Finding this posted in "Yahoo Answers":

Quote:
What can I do about my misery?
I am a sick man. ... I am a spiteful man. I am an unattractive man. I believe my liver is diseased. However, I know nothing at all about my disease, and do not know for certain what ails me. I don't consult a doctor for it, and never have, though I have a respect for medicine and doctors. Besides, I am extremely superstitious, sufficiently so to respect medicine, anyway (I am well-educated enough not to be superstitious, but I am superstitious). No, I refuse to consult a doctor from spite. That you probably will not understand. Well, I understand it, though. Of course, I can't explain who it is precisely that I am mortifying in this case by my spite: I am perfectly well aware that I cannot "pay out" the doctors by not consulting them; I know better than anyone that by all this I am only injuring myself and no one else. But still, if I don't consult a doctor it is from spite.
And four people earnestly advised him to seek medical help.

Quote:
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

It sounds to me that while you have not been diagnosed, you may have some sort of psychological or mood imbalance. It is nothing to be ashamed of and it is extremely treatable!!!
The first step to recovery is admitting that you have a problem, and you just did!!!
congratulations!!!
Having paranoid thoughts, being spiteful, having conflicting ideas/hypocrisy, low self esteem/feelings of worthlessness, negative/neurotic thoughts without purpose, self destruction.

From your writing, I get the impression that you can be quite impulsive at times.

While I am not a doctor, I know quite a lot about mental instabilities.

And I know first hand, that it can be extremely tortuous for you and everyone close to you to live with. (so by not taking care of yourself, you are in fact injuring them as well)

I really advise you to put your spitefulness aside and seek medical attention!

It will change your life for the better! Happiness is possible!!
You deserve it! No one should have to be miserable!

You need to take this leap and get better! If you feel too guilty about doing it for yourself, think of your loved ones!!

I wish you the best of luck!
Ah, nothing like a good pretentious literary leg-pull, is there?
Old 04-06-2010, 08:23 PM   #1616
Ibrîniđilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniđilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniđilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Having a sweetheart of a husband who gave me an Easter basket the day after Easter with an iPad (complete with LotR and TS in the Books library) in it. I know he's the real technogeek in this house, but he always likes me to try things out first. What a guy.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #1617
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

England. I assign England. Lauri and I are hollidaying in Britain and it is grand! I love this place. All of my years of Anglophilia paying off! And, we have the opportunity to meet Downers too!
Old 05-04-2010, 06:45 AM   #1618
Student of War
Newly Deceased

Student of War has just left Hobbiton.
To the Shire I would like to assign an old wooden toad stool that I acquired at the last birthday party I attended. This is the second time I have unwillingly but politely accepted it in less that 5 years. Used to milk fat cows it has the tendency to grab your trousers when standing up. I must give it up this way so I wont have to wait until my birthday party next year to give it away again.
Student of War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #1619
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

That sounds like a true mathom, SoW! Definitely belongs in the Shire.
And welcome to the Downs, by the way. Enjoy being dead!
Old 05-05-2010, 01:27 PM   #1620
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

Ah.This is where Lalaith belongs-in land of mirth!

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:11 AM   #1621
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Ah.This is where Lalaith belongs-in land of mirth!
You know, Urwen, I saw you'd posted here, and I thought to myself, "I bet it'll be about Lalaith..."
Old 05-06-2010, 07:44 AM   #1622
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Good.Could you repay me by continuing 'Who am I?' thread?

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #1623
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
the adaptability of nature - I had to stop for a group of deer crossing the lane as I left work and apart from the joy of this sight of the relatively elusive creatures I was amazed how they slid through the horizontal strands of barbed wire to get in to the field (no doubt en route to the open forest 2 paddocks on). Amazing I was sure they would get tangled but it was incredible. None of them were white Bethberry but I am still looking!

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 05-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #1624
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Palantir-Green

Finally managing to rep the last people on a mammoth-size "should rep" list.

Also, larping.

And sorting old stuff for moving out. Yikes!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #1625
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

It might sound strange, sending thunderstorms to the Shire of all places, but I have to send the one that just ended. It's the first one I've experienced since moving into my new loft, and I have to admit that looking out the window while lying on the bed and watching lightning flash right above you is extremely exhilarating. I'm also sending the fresh air that's outside right now - no dust, finally, which means I can actually keep the window open without sneezing my head off - as well as the fresh smell of wet grass. Ahh, right now it feels great to be alive.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:18 AM   #1626
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
People who don't give up, no matter what, even when they know they will not get any appreciation for it. That, in my opinion, is a hero.

People who treat others as equals, not as superiors or inferiors.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:22 AM   #1627
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

I assign the little duckling we helped out of its egg three days ago. It had fallen out of the nest, and Mom decided she was busy sitting on the remaining eggs and couldn't be bothered. We took it inside and put it in a cage with a lightbulb and hot-water bottle for warmth; after taking a night to make up its mind, it decided it was going to live and promptly adopted my wife as its new Mom. Since yesterday it's got a sibling who suffered a similar fate shortly after hatching to keep it company, and they're both happily chirping away now.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:43 AM   #1628
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

so cute..and in a few months so tasty with pancakes spring onion and hoisin sauce
Old 05-26-2010, 05:55 AM   #1629
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Mith you are evil!

Those are so cute Pitch! Are you planning to keep them as pets?
Old 05-26-2010, 10:13 AM   #1630
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Just wait a while, and you may yet see me assign roast duck ŕ la Mithalwen to the Shire...

Generally, our ducks are not so much pets as slug police. As of now, we have four adults and three ducklings hatched a few weeks ago, in addition to the two little ones. Some of those will have to go (surplus drakes first, lest there be gang bang). We'd prefer to find a new home for them, but if there's no buyer, the frying pan is the alternative; same for the chickens (and believe me, home-grown poultry beats anything you can get from the supermarket!).

Not for these two, however (relax, Agan!). Don't know whether they'll stay as tame once they share the garden with the others, but they're bound to be stayers - at least the perky yellow one for whom Mrs Pitch acted as midwife.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #1631
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Aww, these ducklings take me back to when my brother raised one for Biology– you know, to study imprinting.

The whole class used to make their ducklings fight each other at recess– I don't think that was in the project description somehow, but nonetheless the "duck fights" became a popular attraction.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #1632
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Aganzir, never claimed otherwise

Pitchwife, I'd be honoured! And though to be honest, I don't know if I could kill lunch myself, it is probably the most humane way to produce poultry, raising your own.

Nerwen, that is fabulous ... Australian genius for turning anything into a sport you can bet on (one of my cousin's met his wife at the Melbourne cup... )
Old 05-27-2010, 01:05 PM   #1633
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Those ducks are cute!
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #1634
Lastande Took
Animated Skeleton

Lastande Took has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I assign to the Shire: ponies...late spring trees...peanut butter...good books...lush flower gardens...siting beside the creek and reading...apples...misty rain showers...good friends.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:49 PM   #1635
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
1420!

A long weekend with the family and a few pints of Guinness.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:38 PM   #1636
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I assign to the Shire a good book, no peanut butter or corn, and a cool place to sleep
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:52 PM   #1637
kementari
Haunting Spirit

kementari has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to kementari
Boots

I would like to assign hot chocolate with two marshmallows on top.

Thermals, that keep me warm in winter...along with a pair of wooly socks for good measures.

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo.
kementari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:35 PM   #1638
Lastande Took
Animated Skeleton

Lastande Took has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Happy Celtic music...cool, misty, early summer mornings...hollyhocks...herb gardens.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:56 PM   #1639
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Roller skating! The parts where I don't fall down, anyway.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #1640
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
My first paycheck!

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote