The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-11-2004, 08:14 PM   #1
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! A Civil War?

It's been discussed what would have happened if Denethor had lived, would he have succumbed to Aragorn, or started a Civil War. But what about Faramir, if Faramir wasn't so wise do you think he could have summoned a Civil War, one strong enough to beat Aragorn, and stay in power as Steward?

Faramir, was arguably the most loved person in Minas Tirith. Especially Beregond, I think if Faramir was to start a civil war he would have the support from Beregond, and how far would Beregond have been able to sway the people of Minas Tirith? Also, you have Imrahil, who is Faramir's uncle, yet he didn't show any interest in challenging Aragorn's title as "king," he was actually quite happy the king had returned. But, being Faramir's uncle, Imrahil might have just stayed neutral, or even sided with Faramir. And there were still many people not at Minas Tirith during the siege, that might not have heard of Aragorn's "great battle deeds," and have sided with Faramir. So, it comes down to who do the people side with, their beloved, loyal captain Faramir, or this Aragorn who has shone great skill in the battlefield, and as a healer? When it comes down to it, I think Faramir had a much better chance of starting a Civil War then his, fallen Denethor. Luckily, Faramir was wise enough not to challenge the kingship, that's a reason I like him. So, your thoughts...
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 08:53 PM   #2
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
To quote the cliché: that's a pretty big 'if'. For if Faramir weren't as wise as he was, he probably wouldn't have been as admired by the people of Gondor. Assuming that Unwise Faramir was equally admired as the Captain of Ithilien we have come to know, however...

If, for some reason, he rebelled against Aragorn's authority, he probably would have succeeded - depending upon what stage the rebellion began. If Faramir decided to rally the people against Aragorn before the latter's coming into Minas Tirith, he probably would have been successful; Gondorians would likely have been easily convinced that Aragorn was no more than a wandering ranger, at most the last remnant of a dead line.

If, however, Faramir began an insurrection against Aragorn's authority after Aragorn had taken the thrown and Sauron was vanquished, it is more likely that he would have failed; King Elessar, who would at this point have been shown to be wise and benevolent (unless this is bizarro-Aragorn, too ), would have the people's favor even over a renowned captain.

*Walks off, imagining Faramir screaming hysterically while pouring oil on a roped-and-bound Aragorn*

*Comes back briefly, to ask, intrepidly, "Is there a point to this conjecture?*
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 09:03 PM   #3
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Imrahil was teh prince of Dol Amroth and had a legitiment call to the throne of gondor, but his faith was with Aragorn from the first time they met... he might stayed neutral but i doubt it, the Sawn knights and himself would be Aragorns elites, Denethor would probaly just die a disgruntled old man... and if you think about it, i know its kinda off topic, but isn't faramir Imrahils nephew? seeing how denethor married Adrahils daughter, sister of Imrahil and Legolas said that Imrahil had elven blood in his veins, so faramir could have elven descent as well!
Old 09-11-2004, 09:06 PM   #4
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
1420! A touch of Elven.

Gil-Galad, yes Faramir does have a bit of Elven-Blood. If I got the names right here, Galador and Mithrellas, founded Dol Amroth. So all descendants of them, would have a bit of Elven-blood. Finduilas, was from Dol Amroth, of course her children being Faramir and Boromir, giving them elven-blood.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:44 PM   #5
Lachwen
Wight

Lachwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lachwen
Eye

This is purely nit-picking on my part, but Galador was the son of Mithrellas, not her husband. Imrazôr was her husband. (They also had a daughter, Gilmith, but that isn't really important right now... ) Galador was then the first Prince of Dol Amroth, and we all know the rest of the story.
Old 09-12-2004, 06:01 PM   #6
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

About the original question, if Faramir had for some reason (picture him
hearing about PJ's Gandalf assaulting his father ) challenged Aragorn's claim the chances would have been strong for him being successful, or at least
fomenting a significant civil war. Just recall 1) the kinstrife and 2) the rejection by the Council of Gondor of Arvedui's clearly legitimate claim to the throne of Gondor. Of course, Tolkien got around this possibility by killing off Denethor and Boromir and making Faramir a "scholar-warrior" without the drive and ambition to be a king (or PM or president nowadays). And going as far back as Numenor "good" people were repeatedly prone to error, arrogance, etc. However, a big factor in Aragorn's favor, probably more then his leading the Army of the West to the gates of Mordor, would have been his role as "the Liberator of South Gondor."

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin; 09-12-2004 at 06:08 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 06:29 PM   #7
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

An additional thought, the role of Eomer could have been crucial. Imagine
Faramir seeks power after marrying Eowyn. What does Eomer do? Stay
neutral, support his sister and her husband against his best buddy, support
Aragorn against his sister's interests? And how would Imrahil be inclined?

By the way, while some are disinterested in this kind of speculation, I tend to
find "counterfactual" historical-type speculation can, on occasion, be
fascinating if done well. I found one book on counterfactual speculations on
World war II events well done (by professional historians and/or military
experts).
Old 09-12-2004, 07:14 PM   #8
Voralphion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voralphion has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Imrahil was teh prince of Dol Amroth and had a legitiment call to the throne of gondor,
I don't think he did. I don't believe he was descended from Elendil, either through Isildur or Anarion/Melendil and so would not have had a claim to the throne of Gondor, or the Princes of Dol Amroth would probably made a claim long before.
I don't think the prospect of the people following Faramir is as clear cut as stated. The people were thrilled at the prospect of having a king as soon as Aragorn had arrived and healed the people in the houses of healing. The people wanted a king to return, and bring back Gondor's glory days, so it is possible they would have accepted anyone with a legitimate claim.
If a civil war did break out however and Rohan did intervene on one side, it would have been to support Aragorn. Eomer had a strong friendship with Aragorn and probably woul have supported him. I don't think the prospect of Faramirs relationship with Eowyn would have been a factor, because if Faramir was as power hungry as he would have to have been to start a civil war, I don't think he could have won over Eowyn.
Were mirrored in his silver shield
Voralphion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 12:54 PM   #9
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420! Very nice

Tuor I like the scenario you have brought up, with the whole what would Eomer do? I happen to agree with Voralphion, that Eowyn wouldn't have fallen for Faramir if he was "power hungry." However, you can't help but think, hey maybe this is Eowyn's chance to get back at Aragorn, that is if a Civil War started. But, I don't see Eowyn as a revengeful type. And without the relationship between Faramir and Eowyn, Eomer would definately side with Aragorn.

Also, Lachwen, thankyou for the correction, if I say something wrong I would expect to be corrected.