The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2004, 03:02 PM   #1
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Nasty Tricksy Sauron

Ok I searched for this and I couldn't find it I had this thought and I figured for my 1000th post(yahoo) I would do a very thoughtfilled post.

When Pippin looks into the plantir he sees Sauron, and he sees a glimpse of the invasion on Minas Tirith. Sauron thinks Pippin has the ring and would think he's protected by strong forces.

So isnt it possible Sauron "slippied up" and showed his plan on purpose thinking the host would go to Minas Tirith most liikely taking Pippin with them. isnt it possible he was trying to trap the ring in Minas Tirith so all he would have to do is kill everyone then go through the city looking for it?

I think it was a trap, a trap that backfired, but a trap none-the-less
Old 08-18-2004, 03:14 PM   #2
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Tolkien

Very good point,
I think that may be true as Sauron knows that there are people with the strength of will to weald it (namely Aragorn) and after the battle at Pelenor Gandalf make the little speech about it in Aragorn's tent. So He is almost convinced that Pippin had the ring, I think this is what he thought;

"Well, that Halfling had the ring. That dunadain must have got it off him as he has
Will enough to weald it. They won the battle at Pelenor dew to its power. So now they are getting in over their heads and going to try and get me at my own gates... Fools!"

I always liked that quote from the puppet version of LotR (See Middle Earth Mirth I think) where sauron says (In the palantir) "Hello, Saruman, oops wrong number." That kind of sums up what I think was going on. Also the BBC radio version shows this when Pippin reports what he has seen;
Sauron: Why have you neglected to call? Wait? You are not Saruman! Who are you?

And so on.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:29 PM   #3
NightKnight
Lost among the Stars

NightKnight has just left Hobbiton.
I don't think it was. It says somewhere (I don't have the books in English, or even nearby) that Sauron must have thought that Saruman had Pippin imprisoned, and that he was using it as a form of torture.

I agree with them. He knew Saruman had a palantir, they had communicated through it. He had no reason to think that someone else had taken Saruman's palantir. After all, Orthanc was pretty untakable (does this word exist? ). And he sent the nazgul to fetch Pippin (and possibly the Ring, or at least news about it).

Afterwards, when Aragorn revealed himself, I don't think he got the chance to set a trap. Aragorn bent the palantir from his will, and saw the threat from the Corsairs in time to stop it.

It was after Pelennor, when Aragorn & co. marched towards Morannon, that he set the trap.

Sorry about the messy post.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:30 PM   #4
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

I fear that there is some confusion between the book and the movie. In the book, Pippin does not foresee the attack on Minas Tirith. All he saw was Barad-dur, the Nazgul, and then Sauron.

From what Pippin reported Sauron as saying, I think NightKnight is correct as to what Sauron was thinking at the time.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:02 PM   #5
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Oh right! I would now ask the moderator to move this for me please thank you and sorry for the inconvenience I will repay by being more careful
Old 09-05-2004, 03:58 PM   #6
lotrfreak90
Pile O'Bones

lotrfreak90 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Contradiction

Sorry but Kuru haren pippin still saw the on coming threat and possibly thought that the first logical place for sauron to attank would be minas tirith

in conclusion i think that this is why peter jackson added this part and further more pippin could have had this thought going through his mind and thought that it was another effect of the palantir

~landis ~
lotrfreak90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 05:06 PM   #7
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! Who knows.

NightKnight I think the word you are looking for is "indestructable." For really it talks about Orthanc being indestructable, sort of protected by this magic, something so strong that Ents were bruising themselves to try and destroy it. But, I do believe untakable is a word, lol.

As for the question of was Sauron trying to set a "trap." I think it's possible, in fact very likely, that Sauron would try and trap Pippin, Aragorn...etc into Minas Tirith, thinking it is a sure victory. Of course it backfired.

As Kuruharan said, there's nothing ever saying that Sauron showed Pippin the assault on Minas Tirith. LOTRfreak your statement about "maybe Pippin assumed" has no proof of ever happening. So you can't say it did, it's possible, but it would only be a conjecture and can't write it off as a "fact."
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 05:41 PM   #8
lotrfreak90
Pile O'Bones

lotrfreak90 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

i aggre and apologize it was merely a suggestioni didnt want to advertise it as a fact (just like the entwives (-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

And they shall soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not grow feint, those who hope in the lord. {Isaiah 40:31}
lotrfreak90 is offline   Reply With Quote