The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up Alan Lee & John Howe Art

Today I managed to bag the last Hobbit calendar in the Waterstones sale and ripped it open as soon as I got home, only to be struck by how similar the images were to what we saw on screen in the film. I suppose I should have expected it, given that these two great illustrators were involved once again. However, the art in the calendar isn't 'concept' art, it's pre-existing art, mostly from the books (and all the art in them is approved by the Estate, I believe CT also chose Lee to illustrate CoH).

One good example of art that comes close to what we see in the films is Howe's illustration of the Great Goblin:
Howe's Great Goblin

Grotesque and towering above the other goblins, but with skulls around his neck instead of that fleshy chin. And note the dwarf who looks very like the Dwalin we see in the film.

And what's this? Alan Lee's Great Goblin, also a towering monster:
Alan Lee's Great Goblin

I don't know if that's a baby sat by his feet, or if it's the 'goblin scribe' I liked from the film.

In the Michael Hague illustrated Hobbit (which I can't get down from the shelf because I have around 200 CDs perched in front) there's also another immense Great Goblin. So I think we can lay to rest that the enormous one we saw in the film was just one man's vision!

I have also located a nice tumblr blog with a lot of Howe and Lee's art, both in general and also their concept art, and a quick look at this will demonstrate the extent to which they were involved in creating the film. To be honest I was a bit taken aback as it's clear they created an incredibly large swathe of it, and I don't think it can rightly be called Jackson's vision, because it's not! Take a look:

http://alan-and-john.tumblr.com/tagged/The-Hobbit

When Gandalf splits the rock at Trollshaws, this is Alan Lee's concept. The 'look' of Goblin town is down to Howe, as is Radagast's house. And the bluff where the Eagles take the company is clearly based on the Alan Lee book illustration.

And as a final and slightly irrelevant note, something which pleased me is that the Lego Bag End set is obviously based on the John Howe painting
Old 01-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
Rhod the Red
Shade of Carn Dūm

Rhod the Red is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Was unable to get the Hobbit merchandise I was after, except 1 item, in recent shopping.

So I'm jealous you got a calendar, couldn't even bag one for myself. Nor movie posters!

Those two artists are a credit to their profession. I have got a 2001 calendar with their art which I'll keep through to old age I'm sure.

And Happy New Year to all
Rhod the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:48 AM   #3
Glorthelion
Haunting Spirit

Glorthelion has just left Hobbiton.
Both pictures have very high quality. I wonder what Ted Nasmith would have drawn. I like Howe's version because it made the Goblin more intimidating with the skulls on his neck. I get the impression that he cannibalises even his orcs.

Damn Gulf
Glorthelion is offline   Reply With Quote