The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-19-2003, 11:49 AM   #1241
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
You have walked 433.89 miles.
Go, Naz, Go!! May Asfaloth carry you the rest of the way!!!! Remember, time is different in the Elvish country! Woohoo!!!! (Can anyone tell I've had enough coffee for today? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )

Cheers,
Lyta

P.S. I'll certainly carry on walking, Estelyn! I've become addicted to it, and although I am taking somewhat of a rest for a little while (as did the Fellowship!), I do wear my pedometer and record my walking about mileage still! I'm ambling in a leisurely way to Caras Galadhon! (I'm not sure what deadline to set, though!)

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:52 PM December 19, 2003: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 12:12 PM   #1242
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Congratulations to all who made it, and I must say I'm absolutely amazed with Naz. Good going!

I, alas, fell 28 miles short of the goal on the appointed day but I shan't stop. Just because I was a little late I shall continue, thanks to Strider's unusual patience... or... is it very usual? This little hobbit still doesn't understand Strider, I'm afraid! I do mean to walk all the way to Orodruin and perhaps back. However, I could ride home again by doubling whatever amount of mileage I gained in a day. Yet the journey home doesn't need to be considered yet. First, Rivendell!

Last edited by Nurumaiel; 02-02-2005 at 05:08 PM.
Nurumaiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 05:32 PM   #1243
Naz
Shade of Carn Dûm

Naz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*gets teary eyed* Aww, guys... thanks^ ^; *bows* eheh..

This is best thing that's happened to me today!!:

You have walked 438.10 miles.
You have reached the Ford of Bruinen! (436)
You have only 19.9 miles to Rivendell.

At that moment there came a roaring and a rushing: a noise of loud waters rolling many stones. Dimly Frodo saw the river below him rise, and down along its course there came a plumed cavalry of waves. White flames seemed to Frodo to flicker on their crests and he half fancied that he saw amid the water white riders upon white horses with frothing manes. The three Riders that were still in the midst of the Ford were overwhelmed: they disappeared, buried suddenly under angry foam. Those that were behind drew back in dismay.

*much to Asfaloth's dismay, everyone has found a way to climb onto him & are making him go towards Rivendell*

Asfaloth: *Now where's a nice canyon when you need one..?*

Sam: AUUUGH!! MR. FRODO!! *shakes Frodo*

Ary: *to Glorfindel* ...And alluva sudden, Gandalf says, "Would you mind picking this little hobbit guy? He's going around with a weird Nazgully thingy, & with her retarded self- more than Pip"-he said it, not me-"-Frodo may need help- mentally." And I really had no choice, or else it was the Pokey Stick of Doom for me...

Naz: *holding onto Asfaloth's mane* Noro lim, Asfaloth! Whoo hoooo!!!

Glorfindel: Oh, Eru, save me..

Ary: *hits Naz over the head with butt of his sword* SHUT UP! We prolly won't get into Rivendell with you hollering like a retard!

Naz: Oh, but what else is new, Ary? What else is new?

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 6:33 PM December 19, 2003: Message edited by: Naz ]
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 12:26 AM   #1244
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Go Naz go! Your doing a great job.

Congratulations to all the walkers, whether you reached Rivendell by the release of RotK or not. It has been a great experience "Walking" with everyone.

After a few days rest we are ready to set out again tomorrow for the Lothlorien.

'Ah!' said Sam gloomily. 'We'll just wait long enough for winter to come.'

When winter first begins to bite
and stones crack in the frosty night,
when pools are black and trees are bare,
'tis evil in the Wild to fare.

I guess we better wear our warm cloaks! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2003, 10:41 PM   #1245
Naz
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

You have walked 442.91 miles.
You have only 15.09 miles to Rivendell.

I would write something funny, but current mood forbids it. *bows* Sorry all..
Old 12-20-2003, 11:02 PM   #1246
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Quote:
BTW, the runner up is Sapphire_Flame...she gets a medal...YAY!
Aw, thankies!!!

**You have walked 196 miles.
You have reached the western edge of the Midgewater Marshes (196).
It is 5 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 262 miles to Rivendell.**

Strider: Listen up! See this wet, squashy area just ahead?

Frodo: Yes?

Strider: That's the Midgewater Marshes. I need for the five of you to walk through it while I go around this way where it's nice and dry.

Sam: And why would we do that?

Strider: It's important to the story!

Saph: The Mordor it is! *fume* My little hobbit butt isn't going anywhere near that marsh, thank you very much!

Pippin: Me neither!

Strider: *pouts* Okay, fine, what if I go through too?

Saph: Okay, that's better. If we have to be miserable, so do you.

Merry and Pippin: Hear, hear!

Strider: *mutter, grumble*

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 12-22-2003, 02:32 AM   #1247
Fíriel of Ao Tea Roa
Pile O'Bones

Fíriel of Ao Tea Roa has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

::got whacked over the head by a grey cloaky thing or being::

Mellyn, I found you again, after many moons lost in the shades. I have walked many miles, and then reached the goal.. and wonder what are we doing now? Shall we continue?

[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2003, 05:19 PM   #1248
Naz
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

You have walked 450.60 miles.
You have only 7.39999999999998 miles to Rivendell.

WHEE! I'm almost there!!
Old 12-23-2003, 09:35 AM   #1249
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

Well, I've been walking, though not posting, and I made it to Rivendell a week before Dec. 17. YAYNESS! I'm still walking. (Yeesh, two miles at school and two at work really adds up, eh?)
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 06:05 PM   #1250
Naz
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

You have walked 458.35 miles.
You have passed Rivendell (458).
It is 21.65 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 463.65 miles to Caras Galadon in Lothlórien.

Frodo woke and found himself lying in bed. At first he thought that he had slept late, after a long unpleasant dream that still hovered on the edge of memory. Or perhaps he had been ill? But the ceiling looked strange; it was flat, and it had dark beams richly carved. He lay a little while longer looking at patches of sunlight on the wall, and listening to the sound of a waterfall.

*starts walking backwards*

Trilogy Tuesday was a week ago (it seems like forever ago) & I FINALLY made it!!

Ary: That's nice dear. *Now, to find Arwen..*
Old 12-23-2003, 10:12 PM   #1251
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
Shield

I am definitely going to keep walking. I think my new deadline will be March 25, the destruction of the One Ring.

You have walked 115 miles.
You have reached the House of Tom Bombadil (115).
It is 17 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 343 miles to Rivendell.

Yay! I'm in my own house. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2003, 10:55 PM   #1252
Rosie-Posey Sandybanks
Pile O'Bones

Rosie-Posey Sandybanks has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, it's been awhile since I've been here, but I have been walking as faithfully as possible! The holidays are a very busy time for me, so I've walked less than I wanted to, but that's okay! I'm getting back to walking as much as possible as soon as Christmas is over.

You have walked 18 miles.
You have reached Green Hill Country (18).
It is 9 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 440 miles to Rivendell.

After some time they crossed the Water, west of Hobbiton, by a narrow plank-bridge. The stream was there no more than a winding black ribbon, bordered with leaning alder-trees. A mile or two further south they hastily crossed the great road from the Brandywine Bridge; they were now in the Tookland and bending south-eastwards they made for the Green Hill Country. As they began to climb its first slopes they looked back and saw the lamps in Hobbiton far off twinkling in the gentle valley of the Water. Soon it disappeared in the folds of the darkened land, and was followed by Bywater beside its grey pool. When the light of the last farm was far behind, peeping among the trees, Frodo turned and waved a hand in farewell.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:14 PM   #1253
Naz
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

You have walked 461.67 miles.
It is 18.33 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 460.33 miles to Caras Galadon in Lothlórien.

Elrond booted us out! So we're on our way to Lothlorien now... and Legolas is already using up most of his Herbal Essences. - -;; Oh well...
Old 12-25-2003, 05:05 PM   #1254
Naz
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

You have walked 463.67 miles.
It is 16.33 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 458.33 miles to Caras Galadhon in Lothlórien.
Old 12-26-2003, 08:32 PM   #1255
Naz
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

You have walked 467.34 miles.
It is 12.66 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 454.66 miles to Caras Galadon in Lothlórien.

Pip: Welp, we're going nowhere fast.

Naz: Oh, shut it.

Pip: &lt; &lt; *glares*

Gandalf: Fool of Tooks or something! Both of you, shut up!

Ary: Look who's grumpy..
Old 12-26-2003, 09:46 PM   #1256
Rosie-Posey Sandybanks
Pile O'Bones

Rosie-Posey Sandybanks has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, from now on, whenever I reach a landmark, I plan to post a message. So here I am, at another one!

You have walked 27 miles.
You have reached Black Rider Stopping Place (27).
It is 19 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 431 miles to Rivendell.

The other two ran quickly to the left and down into a little hollow not far from the road. There they lay flat. Frodo hesitated for a second: curiosity or some other feeling was struggling with his desire to hide. The sound of hoofs drew nearer. Just in time he threw himself down in a patch of long grass behind a tree that overshadowed the road. Then he lifted his head and peered cautiously above one of the great roots.

By the way, does anyone know if the mile/landmark count is going to go further eventually? I'd love to walk the entire journey if possible. I don't know who did the count, but whoever did, it's brilliant! I'd love to go all the way to the end with Frodo and Sam. It would be great!

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 10:51 PM December 26, 2003: Message edited by: Rosie-Posey Sandybanks ]
Old 12-27-2003, 10:43 AM   #1257
Naz
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

You have walked 469.78 miles.
You are only 10.22 miles from Fords of Bruinen.
You still have 452.22 miles to Caras Galadon in Lothlórien.
Old 12-27-2003, 06:17 PM   #1258
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatáriël Lossëhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
I'm going to carry on - how about the rest of you? How far do you think we'll get in the coming year?
Estelyn: I will continue. Frodo (and Sam) will not find it easy to leave me behind. I hope to reach Orodruin by Frodo's birthday in September, as I don't think I can make it by March.

Quote:
By the way, does anyone know if the mile/landmark count is going to go further eventually? I'd love to walk the entire journey if possible. I don't know who did the count, but whoever did, it's brilliant! I'd love to go all the way to the end with Frodo and Sam. It would be great!
Rosie-Posey: We can thank the Barrow-Wight for the mileage/landmark counter. He is a Prince among Wights. It originally went only as far as Rivendell, and as people started reaching (and passing) that goal, he graciously extended it to Caras Galadhon. I am hopeful that he will soon find the time and be kind enough to extend it even further.

We have spent the past 10 days relaxing amid the mallorns here in Lothlórien. The Galadhrim have been most gracious in granting us access to all amenities in the City. The hobbits have been able to eat their fill, Aragorn and Boromir have been working out in the gym, & Legolas and I have taken the dwarf to the spa for a complete...one might even call it extreme...makeover. This brief respite from our journey has allowed us to come to terms with the loss of Gandalf, though our grief cannot be wholly assuaged. But we must now leave this haven of peace and continue our Quest. Haldir returned to guide us to the shores of Silverlode, where we have been given boats. Galadriel and Celeborn arrived soon after and dined with us. The Lady had gifts for all of our Company, and gratefully did we receive them. Afterwards, we took our places in the boats, and the Galadhrim pushed us away from the shore. Then the current caught us and bore us away from Lórien.

--------------------

Now the Lady arose, and Celeborn led them back to the hythe. A yellow noon lay on the green land of the Tongue, and the water glittered with silver. All at last was made ready. The Company took their places in the boats as before. Crying farewell, the Elves of Lórien with long grey poles thrust them out into the flowing stream, and the rippling waters bore them slowly away. The travellers sat still without moving or speaking. On the green bank near to the very point of the Tongue the Lady Galadriel stood alone and silent. As they passed her they turned and their eyes watched her slowly floating away from them. For so it seemed to them: Lórien was slipping backward, like a bright ship masted with enchanted trees, sailing on to forgotten shores, while they sat helpless upon the margin of the grey and leafless world.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:55 PM   #1259
Naz
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

You have walked 472.08 miles.
You are only 7.92000000000002 miles from Fords of Bruinen.
You still have 449.92 miles to Caras Galadon in Lothlórien.

Still going nowhere fast..
Old 12-30-2003, 12:57 PM   #1260
Faenaduial
Wight

Silmaril

You have walked 480 miles.
You have reached Fords of Bruinen (480).
It is 45 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 442 miles to Caras Galadon in Lothlórien.

At the Ford of Bruinen they left the Road and turning southwards went on by narrow paths among the folded lands. Their purpose was to hold this course west of the Mountains for many miles and days.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:37 PM   #1261
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Silmaril

It is pleasant to float down the Great River rather than trudging on our own feet. It reminds me of float trips down the Bruinen with Elladan and Elrohir in summers past. But being on the water all day makes me grateful for the gifts of Galadriel. The glare off the water was beginning to give me a headache, when Legolas thoughtfully reminded me about my new sunglasses. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] And with our sensitive Elvish skin, the sunscreen with aloe has been most beneficial.

--------------------

Suddenly the River swept round a bend, and the banks rose upon either side, and the light of Lórien was hidden. To that fair land Frodo never came again.

The travellers now turned their faces to the journey; the sun was before them, and their eyes were dazzled, for all were filled with tears...

So the Company went on their long way, down the wide hurrying waters, borne ever southwards. Bare woods stalked along either bank...The breeze died away and the River flowed without a sound. No voice of bird broke the silence. The sun grew misty as the day grew old, until it gleamed in a pale sky like a high white pearl. Then it faded into the West, and dusk came early, followed by a grey and starless night. Far into the dark quiet hours they floated on...through the mist...It was dreary and cold. Frodo sat and listened to the faint lap and gurgle of the River...until his head nodded and he fell into an uneasy sleep.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:57 PM   #1262
Naz
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

You have walked 488.31 miles.
You have passed Fords of Bruinen (480).
It is 36.69 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 433.69 miles to Caras Galadon in Lothlórien.

At the Ford of Bruinen they left the Road and turning southwards went on by narrow paths among the folded lands. Their purpose was to hold this course west of the Mountains for many miles and days. *** Be brave, travelers. The distances between landmarks are great for the next 200 miles. ***

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 9:01 PM January 02, 2004: Message edited by: Naz ]
Old 01-03-2004, 10:11 AM   #1263
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White-Hand

We need to keep posts on this thread to things other than what the Walk to Rivendell screen is showing you (though feel free to include the WtR text from the site if it is accompanied by some interesting text of your own). Do like it was originally intended and describe your walk and how it reminded you of Middle-earth. We don't need to see every mile marker you pass.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2004, 10:30 AM   #1264
Eruantalon
Wight

Eruantalon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruantalon
Sting

Hi everyone!

happy to start this. Now the winter over here is pretty harsh. I'm not shure if the Shire had Michagian winters ,but oh well. To be a hobbit in spring would have been worth a hard winter like this.

You have walked 2.5 miles.
You have passed Bywater (1).
It is 4.5 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 455.5 miles to Rivendell.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 11:42 AM January 03, 2004: Message edited by: Eruantalon ]
Eruantalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 11:14 AM   #1265
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Sting

Hello, everyone! I'm checking in from the other side of Rivendell (492 miles, 12 mi. past the Ford of Bruinen). The landmarks are few and far between on this side of the journey, and despite the rest up at Rivendell, I am afflicted with a rather nasty cold that makes it difficult to breathe (thus my slower progress). I see I'm only a few miles ahead of Naz again! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Another odd coincidence: I have just taken custody of Sting while I was at Rivendell (great timing!) and I have worn it every time I have gone on my walks so far! Strangely enough, no one I've passed on the road has commented on it at all, not even when I was done up in full Frodo-gear! I think they're used to me now...one neighbor asked me if I'd gotten to Mount Doom yet! (I don't even want to think that far ahead!)

Cheers!
Lyta

P.S. Welcome to the Walk, Eruantalon! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:16 PM January 03, 2004: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Old 01-04-2004, 10:36 PM   #1266
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Floating down the river is pleasant in the summer sunshine...in the cold drizzle of a winter afternoon, it is distinctly disagreeable. The boats have covers to prevent them from filling with water, and our new cloaks keep us fairly dry, but even Legolas and I are uncomfortable. The Hobbits, particularly, are quite miserable. We can rarely risk a fire, and their shivers touch my heart.

--------------------

Frodo was roused by Sam. He found that he was lying, well wrapped, under tall grey-skinned trees in a quiet corner of the woodlands on the west bank of the Great River, Anduin. He had slept the night away, and the grey of morning was dim among the bare branches. Gimli was busy with a small fire near at hand.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:04 AM   #1267
Faenaduial
Wight

Silmaril

You have reached Wild Country Path (525 miles)

It's been easy to cover a lot of ground of late as we have been walking in New York City during the holidays.

We had a terrific time but unfortunately there was nothing remotely resembling Middle Earth on the paths we were walking. Time Square and Broadway would probably scare most hobbits and the lack of nature ie: trees, grass, flowers, etc. would have most elves desparing.

We will be heading up to the mountains this weekend and our hikes should feel much more in keeping with the fellowships journey.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:25 AM   #1268
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Went walking around Manila on January 1. It was fun. We were eating peanuts, petting dogs, and watching fire works over
the bay I expected Smaug to fly by, and Gandalf smiling at us little people. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 01:55 PM   #1269
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

**You have walked 201 miles.
You have reached Neekerbreeker Pond (201).
It is 10 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 257 miles to Rivendell.**

They spent a miserable day in this lonely and unpleasant country. Their camping-place was damp, cold, and uncomfortable; and the biting insects would not let them sleep. There were also abominable creatures haunting the reeds and tussocks that from the sound of them were evil relatives of the cricket. There were thousands of them, and they squeaked all round, neek-breek, breek-neek, unceasingly all the night, until the hobbits were nearly frantic.

Saph, Merry, and Pippin: &gt;.&lt;;;; *running around in circles shrieking* MAKE'EMSTOPMAKE'EMSTOPMAKE'EMSTOP!!!...

Aragorn: -,-;;;

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 01-08-2004, 08:46 PM   #1270
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

We drift..and float..and drift..and float. I am seriously, SERIOUSLY bored! I would welcome an orc attack, a leak in the boat, or Pippin giving Gimli a wedgie...anything for some excitement!

--------------------

They started again before the day was broad. Not that most of the Company were eager to hurry southwards: they were content that the decision, which they must make at latest when they came to Rauros and the Tindrock Isle, still lay some days ahead; and they let the River bear them on at its own pace, having no desire to hasten towards the perils that lay beyond, whichever course they took in the end. Aragorn let them drift with the stream as they wished, husbanding their strength against weariness to come. But he insisted that at least they should start early each day and journey on far into the evening; for he felt in his heart that time was pressing, and he feared that the Dark Lord had not been idle while they lingered in Lórien.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:23 PM   #1271
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

You have walked 17.5 miles.
You have passed Last View of Hobbiton (7).
You are only 0.5 miles from Green Hill Country.
You still have 440.5 miles to Rivendell.

Humm, I didn't know til tilday that I left hobbiton. I was walking through a really nice park today. Its vary beautifull right now. Snow every where in the thick woods. Yet still though it would be winter it wouldn't be anything like whats here.

So I would be losing view of hobbiton. I think I'd probaly get sad at that point. If I where a hobbit I wouldn't want to lose sight of it. But at least there would be pretty countryside comming up on the horizon.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:24 PM   #1272
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Ok, guys! Legolas and I will start us out, then the Hobbits will join in on the second round, then the Humans on the next. Gimli, you just jump in anytime. Right, now...ready?
  • Row row row your boat
    Gently down the stream
    Merrily merrily merrily merrily
    Life is but a...
Hey, come on now! ::dodges leftover cram thrown from the other boats:: I'm just trying to make this trip a bit more entertaining. Dang..what party-poopers!!

--------------------

The dull grey hours passed without event. As the third day of their voyage wore on the lands changed slowly: the trees thinned and then failed altogether. On the eastern bank to their left they saw long formless slopes stretching up and away toward the sky; brown and withered they looked, as if fire had passed over them, leaving no living blade of green: an unfriendly waste without even a broken tree or a bold stone to relieve the emptiness. They had come to the Brown Lands that lay, vast and desolate, between Southern Mirkwood and the hills of the Emyn Muil.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:56 PM   #1273
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Sting

Quote:
dodges leftover cram thrown from the other boats
Maybe it is the uncomfortable reminiscences of Star Trek V [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] It must be weird "walking" while you're boating down the Anduin! If only one could build a raft and take it down the Mississippi for that portion...oh yes..this ain't Huck Finn! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I've got a small stream where I live, but it is only about a foot deep--won't do! I don't have to worry about that for awhile though, since I'm at 531 miles, a bit past the Wild Country Path...I could not help but take myself back last night with a short read of the Old Forest portion of FOTR. How at odds the hobbits seemed with the trees then (well all except Merry!)...and how things change! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Best wishes to all!

Cheers!
Lyta
Old 01-13-2004, 02:17 AM   #1274
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

We're not the only ones who want to keep walking - if you haven't checked out the Éowyn Challenge site lately, do. You'll find an assortment of possible (new) goals to set and the already familiar tool pages. Let's keep those black shields coming!

I'm approaching Redhorn Pass now - I hope no ice and snow come to stop me from walking!

PS - Oh my yes! "Row your boat" does bring memories of that most unmusical version in ST V!!!

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:21 AM January 13, 2004: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 04:49 AM   #1275
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Oh, btw, sorry for abandoning you all at 230 miles. I lost count of my mileage when I was away this summer and now it seems too late to restart the journey... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
its great that so many are pressing on with the quest, anyway.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:36 AM   #1276
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

**You have walked 211 miles.
You have reached the eastern edge of the Midgewater Marshes (211).
It is 17 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 247 miles to Rivendell.**

Saph: No more marshes! Wheeeeeee! *skips around*

Strider: My, you're in a good mood.

Saph: Yep, because I met Gollum yesterday. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Frodo: Gollum? *squeak!*

Saph: Yep, he signed his book for me and everything! *proudly displays Gollum book, pointing out the signature on the first page* Yay! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 01-16-2004, 11:52 AM   #1277
Tefalathiel
Pile O'Bones

Tefalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Still alive! I guess I should be called something like "Fadding ghost".... What can I say? It isn't my fault i don't have a net connection at home... Well, you don't want to hear it (read it actually)... I guess I am the closest thing to inexistent here...
Luckily I can still walk even if fadding!
Old 01-17-2004, 12:03 PM   #1278
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I completely forgot to post!!! I reached Rivendell on December 31!!! I'm so happy I reached Rivendell before the new year!!! I'm not sure that I will keep walking...I don't have all the time in the world anymore, but I think I will a little on the side. I might not record it though. Oh, who knows...only the future can tell!!!

**Your-ecstatic-friend-that-you-don't-really-know Siri**
Old 01-17-2004, 09:10 PM   #1279
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

You have walked 35 miles.
You have passed Black Rider Stopping Place (27).
It is 11 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 423 miles to Rivendell.

The country side changes with every turn and bend in the road. Life seems to changed so easily here. Though I have a long way to go. I feel as if my journy has really started.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:03 AM   #1280
Naz
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

You have walked 550.49 miles.
You have passed Wild Country Path (525).
You are only 19.51 miles from Barren Hills.
You still have 371.51 miles to Caras Galadon in Lothlórien.

The country was much rougher and more barren than in the green vale of the Great River in Wilderland on the other side of the range, and their going would be slow; but they hoped in this way to escape the notice of unfriendly eyes.

Pip: *trips*

Naz: Izzit supposed to be this cold..?

Ary: *stops* Hey. *turns* Isn't this supposed to be a Fellowship of nine?

Gandalf: Um.. yeah. *hits Ary with his staff*

Ary: ! Ow!! Will you let me finish?! We don't have nine. We have ten.

*all look at Naz*

Naz: O___O;;; Um...

Ary: Whaddya say we chuck her once we get to Caradhras..?

Naz: O O HELP.

(my walk has been NOTHING like the Quest, by the way. We're not even at Caradhras yet & there's below freezing temperatures!)