The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2003, 03:30 AM   #41
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He started out by murdering Deagol. That is not so naive and simple.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:39 AM   #42
Quirkette
Haunting Spirit

Quirkette has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Obviously I meant he was naive and all before he saw the ring!
Old 12-18-2003, 03:42 AM   #43
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He'd only seen it for a minute before the murdering started.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:21 AM   #44
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quite simply the best movie Ive seen. Forget changes, missing parts that will be in EE, and all else. This is an emotionally exhausting film that filled my eyes with tears of joy and sorrow. Never has any movie effected me on that kind of level and quite simply I yearn to see it again like Gollum wants the Ring.

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
GreyIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 11:45 AM   #45
BeeBombadil
Animated Skeleton

BeeBombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Loved:<BR>1. Lighting the beacons<BR>2. Attack of the Rohirrim at Pellenor<BR>3. Attack of the fell beasts on Minas Tirith<BR>4. the eagles<BR>5. Frodo's desperation<BR>6. Sam's heroism<BR>7. Faramir's sadness with his father<BR>8. The Army of the Dead<BR>9. Sam's reaction to Frodo ordering him to "go home". It was just heartbreaking. Nice acting, Mr. Astin.<P>Hated:<BR>1. what the feck did they do to Denethor???! He wasn't an insane pig and they made him into one. This was the one part of this movie that REALLY ****ed me off.<BR>2. No House of Healing???!<BR>3. Arwen being tied to the ring...since when?<BR>4. How little was made of Eowyn's defending Theoden...was almost a dramatic after-thought.<BR>5. The flower petals floating down at Aragorn's crowning...ok, where were they coming from, as the Citadel is at "the top floor".<BR>6. The whole Grey Havens...could have been so much better. It felt hurried and tacked-on.<BR>7. Many many wobbly CG shots where you could actually see a character's feet slipping on nothing. Shoddy and rushed.
BeeBombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 11:57 AM   #46
Alatariel
Wight

Alatariel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I was absolutely blown away by RotK. It was honestly one of the most amazing movies I have ever seen - I can't really find words to express how it made me feel. I hope in the EE they make a bigger deal about Aragorn entering Minas Tirith - after all the movie is called "Return of the King," and they just kind of skipped over his return. I also hope that they have more with Eowyn and Faramir - it would help round out their characters.<P>RotK is definitley one of the best movies I have ever seen, and I can't wait to see it again!
Old 12-18-2003, 12:01 PM   #47
GreyIstar
Wight

Sting

"3. Arwen being tied to the ring...since when?"<P>Since she is now mortal and cannot take the ships to Valinor. Hence she is bound to the fate of the Ring like all mortals are.

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
Old 12-18-2003, 01:13 PM   #48
BeeBombadil
Animated Skeleton

Sting

No GreyIstar, that's not what I mean..yes, all fates are tied to the One Ring. But this movie makes it seem that she's physically ill and Elrond states that she is dying because of the One Ring. Nowhere in the book was this intimated...this was pure Jackson and it didn't work for me.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:18 PM   #49
Alatariel
Wight

Alatariel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I had the same impression, Bee. BTW, did anyone spot where PJ was in the movie (since he appears in all of his movies)? I thought I might have seen him as a rider of Rohan, but it went by so quickly I couldn't be sure.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:42 PM   #50
GreyIstar
Wight

Sting

I didn't get that imprerssion at all. I took Elrond saying she was dying as she is now mortal. All mortals are dying its just a matter of when.<P>PJ's cameo was one of the scenes that hit the cutting floor. He is a Corsair. It will be in the EE. I guess we know now that PJ isn't vain.<p>[ 3:13 PM December 18, 2003: Message edited by: GreyIstar ]

Old 12-18-2003, 02:10 PM   #51
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Oh, I forgot to mention. Peter Jackson's cameo came as one of the Corsairs of Umbar.<P>Edit: Oops, I was on Page 1. Sorry. But I did see PJ, his cameo isn't just in the EE.<p>[ 3:12 PM December 18, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 12-18-2003, 02:11 PM   #52
Bill the Pony
Pile O'Bones

Bill the Pony has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought I saw a very PJish Corsair for a brief instant...will be watching more closely next time!
Bill the Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 02:15 PM   #53
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> 5. The flower petals floating down at Aragorn's crowning...ok, where were they coming from, as the Citadel is at "the top floor". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Um... that was from the White Tree.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:25 PM   #54
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I to thought I saw PJ giving orders aboard one of the ships, so did my two friends...<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>No 3rd palantir to more fully explain Denethor's descent into madness through despair. They got the pride right, though.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Perhaps it'll make it's way to the EE?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Since she is now mortal and cannot take the ships to Valinor. Hence she is bound to the fate of the Ring like all mortals are.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I also thought that she was ill (the movie guide that's been mentioned around here occasionally said that she was), & that she would die if the Ring wasn't destroyed.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 02:54 PM   #55
BeeBombadil
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Diamond 18, Umm, the White Tree was quite far away from where they were standing, and the petals were falling from above. There was no wind machine going.<P>I thought it was a ridiculous Hollywood touch and because it was so Hollywoodish, as opposed to most of the movie, it really stuck out. Blech.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:26 PM   #56
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I really enjoyed the film and it brought together the whole trilogy making it feel like one continuous tale.<P>My favourite part is without a doubt the Muster of Rohan and their appearence on the battle filed. There is only one thing better than a battle and that it the build up to a battle. Theoden riding down his line with his sword and hitting his men's spears was brilliant!<P>The EE will include a scene with Sauraman and also I saw a few pictures on the official movie website that did not make it into the final cut. These were Ewoywn(sp?) in the Houses of Healing, and Eomer mourning Theoden's death on the batte field.<P>Roll on EE!!<p>[ 4:27 PM December 18, 2003: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 12-18-2003, 03:28 PM   #57
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It was only just earlier that it hit me that I had not seen Denethor and a Palantir together. That sucked! Denethor isn't Denethor without the Palantir!<P>Oh, and the petals were a gorgeous touch to the scene. Much better than Arwen's game of peekaboo. Although it was very touching to see her and Aragorn's reunion.<P>I never new the Eye of Sauron was a giant spotlight...<P>The Dead should have been more grey and less green. But that was a wonderful scene where Aragorn leapt out of the boat and they whooshed out.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:31 PM   #58
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Everything was too close together. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>.<P>A rare downs moment. Burrahobbit and I agree.<P> It got absurd after awhile, <BR>You open the Black gate and there was the mountain and Barad dur. Heck Legolas should have just gotten an elvish sling shot and...<P>OK to start more generally:<P>I was <I>really</I> hoping to enjoy this as much as i did FotR, but PJ as I hate to have to say, fell prey yet again to the lure of the ONE PEN. His editorial one.<P>In short where we hear JRRT's writing and see his scenes it is great. A few of the Minas Tirith battle amplifications were very well done as well. Some of that was awesome. The Rohirrim crashing into the orcs [although the real build up to all of that was largely replaced by the horrific, 'what do we owe Gondor' garbage 'Theoden' was made to utter, was extremely well done. Finally we see the real Rohan. <P>However having them coming as a suprise creeping silently through the Pellenor [oops that's right PJ had some great reason for leaving that out ] would have added much to it.<P>But as the movie went on the great moments for me were consistently overridden by the 'adaptations'.<P>'Denethor' was a <I>complete disaster</I> imo. Worse than the 'Faramir' adaptation. Oh well, like father like son. <P>The lack of any other nobles and feifs in 'Gondor' was really sad. Why not another one of those map scenes wherein someone can say, while pointing...'3,000 from Dol Amroth and Imrahil will lead them, 500 from the Ringlo Vale and hopefully Dervorin will lead them etc. <P>this lack reached the height of absudity when after 'Denethor's 'murder/suicide [see <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=002542#000004" TARGET=_blank>here</A> for more on that splendid scene] we finally get to the 'fellowship' alone occupying the Hall of Kings in Minas Tirith. How goofy.<P>At least 'Theoden' finally gets to act like a king of 'Rohan' before the Battle, that was refreshing. His death scene though, while wordred somewhat faithfully betrayed fwe signs of a person about to die. Quick eye movements and a few other details I do not recall, and generally way to strong a voice all undercut the moving scene though.<BR>And no passing the banner to 'Eomer'. completely lame. But I guess as PJ has said 'it does not get the ring to mordor', so it was out. <P>The whole 'Sam/Gollum/Frodo' thing was exactly the kind of absurdity I have come to expect from PJ, and for which he does not disappoint. He has a compulsion to waste screen time with non-existent plot lines and then cut corners with things that beg to be shown [Imrahil, the Dunedain of the North and on and on].<P>However in the Ext. DVD while most of my criticisms will sadly remain unfixable, I am sure the quick trip through Mordor will be suitably amplified, and we will be able to see them cast of their orc gear. <P>Apparently 'Gollum' falling in the midst of his cappering was not hollywood enough for PJ. 'Frodo' has to fall as well [and 'Denthor'... . <P>I can understand leaving out the Scouring, just as could Bombadil and Barrow Downs, As much as they all really have their place inthe story, I concede that somethings will have to go, but to have everyone come back and drink ale and wink at the quaintness of the shire just plain did not work at all for me. <P>It will be a skip scene for me for sure. It would have been far better for the company to go straight to Rivendell have collect frodo and then to the Havens and end with Sam coming to Bag End.<P>And as the final nail in the coffin for book readers 'Sam' gets to walk in the wrong door.So instead of the door of bag-End closing where it all began in The Hobbit, we get #3 bagshot row.<P>imo...<P>I truly hope the Extended version makes it all more watchable, but I must confess that sense of marring overtook my sense of enjoyment. I will just have to practice my latent schizophrenia and forget LotR is an already written masterpeice well and lovingly etched into my heart and soul in order to enjoy PJ's 'Variations on themes from the LotR'.<P>Newbies [to the books]- in this case you are greatly to be envied as what would be a great film had it no literary precedent will for many [not most I am sure] be an <I>extremely</I> exspensive bit of Fan-fction gone amok. <P>Final grades:<BR>FotR - B<BR>EXT FotR - A-<BR>TTT - D<BR>EXT TTT C<BR>RotK C<P>And by the way, lest I be seen as being a books only 'purist', one my favorite scenes in TTT is the Elves arriving at Helm's Deep. It works in a way that for me, many of PJ's other bits of tinkering do not.<P>Thank goodness I could not care less about what happens to King Kong.<p>[ 4:38 PM December 18, 2003: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 03:33 PM   #59
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Diamond 18, Umm, the White Tree was quite far away from where they were standing, and the petals were falling from above. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I believe they meant it to be seen as coming from the White Tree, even if it looked a little incongruent with where the tree was placed. I was just addressing your comment that it came from nowhere.<P>Personally, regardless of the physics of it, as a visual I thought it was quite beautiful.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:40 PM   #60
Fíriel of Ao Tea Roa
Pile O'Bones

Fíriel of Ao Tea Roa has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, I am back again.<P>And my heart is heavy. Having seen "Return of the King" for the second time now, I think its editing is unusually sloppy. I was never much of a nitpicker; I loved "Fellowship" from the first screening, and the same happened with the extended version of "Two Towers". But the theater release of "Return of the King" has so many mistakes! <P>For the first time, one can clearly see when scale double have been used. <P>When Gandalf talks to Pippin about death as another journey, one can see that his sword is fake: it shows the air bubbles of a plastic sword, not the battle scars of a steel sword. <P>And Aragorn´s speech when he has been made king is really weak, and his speech before the battle does not stand out enough. Missing music support (for me this speech has always been the strongest moment of the trailer) probably?<P>The beacon on our highest peak Aoraki/Mount Cook was too much, everyone loved and we were ripped out of Middle-Earth, back into a National Geographic documentation. Darn, I was just so enchanted..<P>And then the storyline alterations: what about Sam not just crying after Frodo´s speech but actually TURNING BACK! What about Aragorn´s healing hands? What about Sam´s family living in Bag-Ends?<P>I have enormous hope for the extended version, where sidestories can be included. Merry pledging his service to Theoden.The grievance of the journey into Mordor- why not showing the shedding of Frodo´s and Sam´s orc armour? A grieving son (Eomer). More elvish. And what about a narrative about the later adventures of the main characters ..<P>As some of these scenes were in the trailer, I live with hope. And re-live the better moments of the cinematic version. Pippin heartbreaking singing. Frodo´s "one cannot simply go back in time". <P>---------------<P>Faenaduial, you are not alone.
Old 12-18-2003, 04:18 PM   #61
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Judged on its own, without any unfair comparisons to the book, this was <B>an excellent movie</B>. Worthy of having a place in my favourite movies of all time, although having only seen it once that may change. After all, I loved TTT the first time round! This movie goes now to join its fathers (such as <I>Excalibur</I> and <I>The Empire Strikes Back</I>), and even in their mighty company it shall not now be ashamed.<P>Cheers to everyone who advised me to check the spoiler threads. Changes from the book could well have distracted me from enjoying what was an amazing event, although I have to say for the most part that the changes were few and well done. I'll go into much, much more depth on other threads, for years to come!<P>It really did feel as though the journey had ended. I am really happy to have the wait over, to have finally seen the last installment of the Lord of the Rings movies. Wow, I do actually feel privileged to be saying that. They could never have lived up to the books, but <I>Return of the King</I> is just about as close as you could get in three hours. <I>The Grey Havens</I> alone was worth the $650 million, but it wouldn't have meant anything without all the incredible work done to build up to that point.<P>I was crying my little heart out when Frodo had to leave, and I was very close to it many other times. The theme of friendship was superbly played. If ever a group of actors deserved to win an award together, it was the four Hobbits. Bless you laddies, your off-screen bond really shone through.<P><I>Return of the King</I> in general was done so well, I sometimes wondered whether the same director had made the last two films. Everything up until Pippin climbing the beacon was just exceptional. The movie had its bad moments, of course, but these were fewer and further between than before. Whatever gripes I will come up with, most of which will stem from my knowledge of the books, <I>The Return of the King</I> is an excellent movie and a credit to anyone that had anything to do with it. <B>Especially</B> Alan Lee!!<P>I think that in a lot of ways, this movie really redeemed flaws that we had seen in the previous episodes. Characters in particular. Elrond, Arwen, Éowyn, Samwise and Aragorn were characters that from time to time (Aragorn) or every single time (Elrond!) I had cringed at. But they were all treated marvellously by the writing team, which I notice contained about six dialogue editors (is that new for the last installment?). The quality of acting in the film was absolutely superb, led by Ian McKellen, although hampered by Bernard Hill... grrr...<P>Alas, all too many scenes were missing, and once again I think that Peter Jackson's priorities were sometimes askew. It will be a long wait for the extended edition! But unfortunately we still live in a time where even 3 hours is generous for a movie. I am so glad that DVDs are here so that we can enjoy some of the scenes that were, regretably cut. <P>I also noticed a general tendency by the movie to go too far sometimes. For example, the prologue. Peter Jackson had it perfect right up until Déagol was murdered, and I felt he should have stopped there instead of droning on about the transformation into Gollum. He had already gotten his point across. Similarly, Théoden's speech before the charge at the Pelennor was a standout piece in the movie (and the only time that Hill lived up to my expectations). The Rohirrim were truly the most frightening thing on the battlefield. That aspect of them could not have been brought to life more skilfully. But after the chants of: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Death! Death! Death! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Jackson continued to lay it on, a bit too thick in my humble opinion. More talking from Théoden and a pitiful yell from Éowyn (it's in the eyes, Miranda, act with your eyes) took away from the impact of the moment.<P>Lastly I have to say that no punches were pulled when dealing with the theme of death. Peter Jackson bravely took it on, bringing it out of the book superbly, and that's not something that most popular movies will have the nuts to do.<P>Bravo Peter, you've finally done us proud, grown as a director, and even in your characters! Who would have thought that the belching yokel from Bree would one day rise to become captain of a Corsair ship? Kudos.
Old 12-18-2003, 04:55 PM   #62
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> 'Sam' gets to walk in the wrong door <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> lest I be seen as being a books only 'purist' <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Err... too late! Those two sentences can't possibly be in the same post! I realise that it is very difficult to open one's mind to other interpretations, and to allow a book so near and dear to be tampered with. That's something that I've had to come to terms with during the course of these three movies. I find that <I>The Return of the King</I> makes this a lot easier than was previously possible, but it also has to be a shift in attitude. If you get tied down to the little things you can't possibly ever be happy with anything these movies has got to offer. <P>Wrong door?! Let it go... Besides, there is no such thing as the <B>wrong</B> door. It's a different door. The door to his house and his Gaffer's house. Hardly cause for alarm.
Old 12-18-2003, 05:13 PM   #63
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> 5. The flower petals floating down at Aragorn's crowning...ok, where were they coming from, as the Citadel is at "the top floor". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, but doesn't the tower of Ecthelion stand high above all that?
Old 12-18-2003, 06:17 PM   #64
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

Firstly, I will say that it was stunning! And I truly mean that. Even after all the problems I found in the film, it has still left me with a sense of awe. The ending, from the lava shots onwards made the trilogy for me.<P>BITS I DID NOT CARE FOR:<BR>-"Saruman? Saruman? Here boy!" where is he<BR>-I wished Pippin had repeated Sauron's words like in the book.<BR>- Legolas knowing ore about the 'Evil Mountain' than Aragorn and the elf knowing too much in general<BR>- Gimli, stop being funny!!!<BR>- Gandalf hitting Denethor<BR>- Not enough of Faramir, he was great in this film (it showed why he was soo mean in TTT, he was trying to attain his father's love)<BR>- Lack of Palantir with Denethor<BR>- Lack of Palantir with Aragorn<BR>- Lack of time spent on Cirith Ungol (but the scenes that were there were great!)<BR>- Creating an orc figure head, get lost!<BR>- No Gandalf vs Witch King, I was waiting for it<BR>- Not enough time between Pelennor and the Black Gate<BR>- Not enough ground between Aragorn and the Black Gate<BR>- No Mouth of Sauron<BR>- the Lighthouse, you know what I mean<P><BR>BITS I LOVED:<BR>- Deagol/Smeagol scene<BR>- Pippin with Palantir<BR>- Beacons, wow<BR>- The Citadel, nice place to live and lovely views<BR>- Corsairs and Haradrim, cool<BR>- Theoden's speech gave me the biggest shivers ever<BR>- The whole of Frodo/Sam/Gollum stuff, amazing<BR>- The whole Merry and Pippin scenes together and alone. Edoras was heart-breaking and Pippin, WHAT A VOICE!<BR>- EAGLES!!<BR>- Samath Naur was just the pinnacle of the film, I though it was beautiful<BR>- Best shot in the film, Frodo with the lava behind<BR>- The Grey Havens gave me tears, in the book that bit saddens me but this was heart-rending.<P>It may seem from this that I disliked the film but as I said before, I loved it. In the words of the comic-book shop guy from the simpsons, "Best film ever!"
Old 12-18-2003, 07:10 PM   #65
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dűm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

I liked the movie. It was well done and I did cry at times. Now the only thing that got me was that they didn't explain what was going on with Arwen, so I had to, at 4:30 in the mourning. But any way I thought that the two or three false endings were a bit annoying, 'cause I had to try my hardest not to yell at the screen. An then there was also this guy pretending to be peter pan with the errrr errr er errrrrs everyone else started to yell at him. But that is that there are always stupid people in crowds. <P>I liked the intro. of Smeagol and Deagol at the beginning, that was cool, and then the slow transformation of Smeagol into Gollum.<P>Gimli was the comic relief as always. I liked the book Deanther better than the film one, I wanted to hit him. <P>Over all I say good.<P>Edit: You must understand the creation of the CG characters is hard, and they did a great texturing job, But one just can’t make everything perfect. Until we have batter software and stuff CG is always going to look weird. They always move strange and so they floating Cg characters is just gonna happen any way. Hey that is one of the things I hate about most CG is that the characters don’t look like they are actually touching their environment. Rant Rant, the Computer animation major goes…..<P>I have come to the conclusion that the movies are nothing like the books but a good story all in them selves. So, from a movie standpoint I liked it, but from a book stand point yuck!<p>[ 11:51 AM December 21, 2003: Message edited by: Annalaliath ]
Old 12-18-2003, 08:06 PM   #66
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> - Best shot in the film, Frodo with the lava behind <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I agree. That would have made a very nice movie poster.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:32 PM   #67
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I liked the movie, which seems to be the most positive thing I can say after seeing it only once. I didn't really care for FotR the first time I saw it, but now I adore it. I hated TTT at first, but like it a lot now. I'm sure in the fullness of time I'll love this movie too, but when it was over all I could say was:<P>"My butt is numb, yet the movie should have been longer."<P>Whoever said this is a 3.5 hour trailer for the extended edition hit the nail on the head. Lots of good stuff, but not enough. Plot threads and characters left dangling. Rushed action. No Houses of Healing. <P>Things I loved:<BR>Frodo's suffering.<BR>Sam's raw intensity.<BR>Pippin. Every Pippin scene.<BR>Gandalf. Especially with Pippin.<BR>The EAGLES!<BR>Eowyn and the Witch King.<P>Things I hated:<BR>Sloth from "The Goonies" leading the ground troops of Mordor.<BR>Smeagol's transformation from white trash hobbit to Gollum took too long.<BR>Aragorn and Faramir's goofy battle tactics.<BR>Denethor. What a twisted husk.<BR>No memorable music.<P>The film was well done, the acting was even better than before and the effects were great. Yet something is still missing. I'm still grateful to everyone involved in the production of these films. Thanks, guys. I'm sure I'll love the EE.<P>-Lily
Old 12-19-2003, 03:08 AM   #68
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, why was the elephant man commanding the armies of orcs at ground level?
Old 12-19-2003, 09:16 AM   #69
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Doug your reviews seemed aimed not only at recording your impressions [ the avowed puropse of the thread], but of criticising those who have the misfortune [and I am clearly one] of experiencing the Movies in a very different way.<P> I have no bitterness towards anyone who can seperate the films so completely from the books that the major re-characterizations and plot changes do not wrankle, good for you, or to whomever can acheive such a feat!<P>But why attack those who wished to enjoy the movie more, found they could not? <P>Is there a sub-text to the official thread saying, worshipers of PJ only? or only nice comments allowed? You offered your critiques I noticed, <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Alas, all too many scenes were missing, and once again I think that Peter Jackson's priorities were sometimes askew. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Why then turn around attack mine?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Wrong door?! Let it go<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>To which I would say, some one feels differently about the Movies than you do! Let it go! <P><BR>p.s.<BR>Question: And how can the following two quotes possibly be in the same post ?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Whatever gripes I will come up with, most of which will stem from my knowledge of the books <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Judged on its own, without any <I>unfair</I> comparisons to the book... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <I> italics mine</I><P><BR>Answer: because they are for you, like my 'contradictory' quotes, describing two different aspects of one experience. <P>One of the cardinal principles of posting here is that one does not invalidate anothers <BR>subjective experiences. You disagree - fine. You state it for all to read - fine. But branding someone as having yet to really 'get it' or as not having 'sufficiently adjusted their attitude' for optimal viewing and you just strayed well into the zone of [whether it was meant ot not] an attack on a fellow member.<P>I take the trouble to address this point fully so hopefully as to not have to encounter it again [in this thread at least!].<BR>It is a recurring theme in the Movie Forum but folks do need to be tolerant of others experiences.<P>and btw, I agree that Alan Lee deserves a lion's share of credit for not just the succesful aspescts of III but of I and II as well.<P>respectfully,<BR>L<p>[ 10:17 AM December 19, 2003: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 09:19 AM   #70
Catherine
Shade of Carn Dűm

Catherine has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I loved it all except:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> No House of Healing???!<BR>Arwen being tied to the ring...since when?<BR>How little was made of Eowyn's defending Theoden...was almost a dramatic after-thought.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Other than that I loved the movie it was so great!!!
I don't think I should have had the heart to leave it."
~Merry to Haldir in Lothlórien~
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 09:22 AM   #71
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I don't care about any of the changes, that movie was bloody brilliant! Peter Jackson is the most brilliant director on the face of the planet!!!! By the end of the movie, I was bawling fit to burst, and my boyfriend had to literally wipe tears off of my face.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 04:23 PM   #72
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

ACTION beats CHARACTERS - (Peter Jackson?)
Old 12-19-2003, 08:05 PM   #73
pandora
Haunting Spirit

pandora has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> ACTION beats CHARACTERS - (Peter Jackson?) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>"Characterisation means CONFLICT!" - Dave Sim parodying Marvel Comics.
pandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 11:36 PM   #74
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

"Well, I'm back."<P>Returning from absence, let my first post hail the best film of 2003. Congratulations PJ, you did your job well. Best Picture (and Director) will fall like a ripe apple, come Oscar time.<P>A true masterpiece. I think it really made up for TTT, and did an exceptional job at compressing the extraordinary plot of RotK into a movie as long and detailed as possible. Indeed, perhaps some details could have been changed or saved from the book, but this time I think the minutia of the thing are just that: unimportant details (in film form). <P>Beautiful,<BR>Iarwain
Old 12-19-2003, 11:42 PM   #75
Alucard

Sting

I loved this film despite the changes. ROTK had everything: epic, intense scenes that made your heart pound, scenes that made you want to cry, light hearted parts that just made you smile, scenes that were frightening, and heartfelt scenes that displayed the main themes of the story, friendship and dedication. I think ROTK had more visually stunning shots than the first two films. The Rohirrim charging the fields, Aragorn’s army being surrounded at the Black Gate, the destruction of Barad-dur and the armies of Mordor, Frodo and Sam on the lava with the eagles approaching… the list could go on forever. Minas Tirith itself was absolutely gorgeous, one of my favorite aspects of the film.<P>I must say I disagree with those who think the music was sub par this time around. I thought the soundtrack was brilliant, both in its powerful moments (Mount Doom for instance), and the lighter, sorrowful parts (listen to the theme playing when Faramir and his men are riding out of Minas Tirith, before Pippin’s song). I think the visuals are so amazing in the really epic parts that the music kind of goes unnoticed to some.<P>As far as characters go I must say that Sam is definitely my favorite. He really is the heart of the films. It broke my heart to see the look on his face when Frodo told him to go home, and I couldn’t help but smile when he killed that orc for his Gaffer! Pippin is a close second for favorite character, he was just so great in all of his scenes. I love the look on his face right after he lights the beacon. He so proud of himself until he realizes he’s not sure how he’s getting down without getting burned. The face he makes is so funny!<P>I really only had a few gripes this time and none of them are too major. I was disappointed that there was no Gandalf/Witch King confrontation (especially since I saw this part many times in trailers and such), and that things seemed a bit rushed after the battle of Pelennor Fields was over. But my biggest complaint is that I really wish they handled “The Choices of Master Samwise” parts in a manner that was closer to the books. I was really looking forward to this scene because its one of my favorite chapters from the book, and I was expecting it to be the most emotional part of the film. But it was an excellent film nonetheless. I can’t wait to see it again so I can pick up more little details that I may have missed or forgotten.
Old 12-20-2003, 12:27 AM   #76
Shenaran
Pile O'Bones

Shenaran has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

And I cry a bit at the end...and I rarely cry.<P>The battle scenes were great and I like what they did with Frodo and Sam in Mordor...<P>This seem to be a very tense movie, kept me on the edge of my chair...and that Spider looked so real...and I hate Spiders.<P>Oh and the part where Denethor gets burned...thats kind of cool.<P>Gandalf seemed a bit nicer in this one also.<P>Now for my dislikes...<P>PJ cut out a lot of scenes...which caused parts to make no or little sense.<P>Where the hell did Sam get the ring I wonder??? unless I missed that...and why didn't they show him using it.<P>And we already know about cutting out the scene with Saruman...<P>And what is with lighting the fires as a signal...was that in the book...I don't remember...I remember a red arrow or something like that....And lighting the fires on the mountain top isn't that a bit cold and unrealistic.<P>No House of healing and didn't show the romance between Eowyn and Faramir.<P>I know more parts that were missing...like...humm...<P>Scouring of the Shire<BR>Elronds Sons<P>I wish that they had spoken more Elvish....or hell even more Black Speech.<P>I hope some of the missing parts will be on the extended DVD...I think they will have to add at least two more hours...lol..
Old 12-20-2003, 04:17 AM   #77
Bill the Pony
Pile O'Bones

Bill the Pony has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Just saw it again...<P>It comes across much differently the second time. The first time I was too blown away by the visuals to pay much mind to other stuff. This time, however, I noticed much more...<P>#1 complaint: the ending - what is with all that fading!?!!?!? It was really irksome this time around (didn't love it the first time either)<P>The music seemed better this time, but there are a few spots I still am not fond of. I think the orchestra could be put to better use in spots. However, there were some fine musical moments (the beacons music was perfect for that spot, and the Black Gate/Sammath Naur music towards the end was just right on ...but NOT the Gollum-dancing-with-ring stuff!)<P>I doubt I'll be going a third time...at least for a week or so Two viewings just have left me a wee bit jaded. I'm gonna go read the books again instead.<P>
Bill the Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 07:34 AM   #78
BlingBlingtheWarriorElf
Newly Deceased

BlingBlingtheWarriorElf has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

ROTK was great. But what did they do to Frodo, they made him a nervous wreck, they made him tell Sam to go home! <P>Since when was Arwen going to die from the ring, you knew that her fate was connected to the ring, if Sauron got it back, she would fall like a mortal, but not die.<P>And there were no houses of healing, Merry and Eowyn didn't get hurt very badly, Gandalf didn't get to fight the Witch King, and they never told you that Farimir and Eowyn are in love.<P>Other than those things, I Loved the movie. It was awesome. (Fae walks past the computer and whacks me over the heal )
Old 12-20-2003, 02:27 PM   #79
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have only seen the movie once so far and will obviously need to see it again to solidify my opinions about it; however these are my first impressions.<BR> <BR> I thought that PJ left way too much to the third movie. I mean, I don't really know how much differently he could done it, but I just felt that the first hour was just scene after scene crammed together. I swear, if you hadn't read the books you would be slightly lost.<P> I did enjoy the transformation of Smeagol into Gollum. It was very very interesting to see that. Kudos to the makeup artists on that one; actually on everything really. <P> I was glad that Pippin was allowed to shine in this movie and kind of redeem himself for being the fool throughout the first two movies. The entire scene where he is singing while Denethor eats and the soldiers ride in was one of the best sequences out of the entire three movies, I thought. It just...makes so much sense.<P> At the end, I think the connection between Eowyn and Faramir needed to be explained. I mean, one minute she's hubba hubba for Aragorn and then the next she's smiling with Faramir whilst Aragorn greets his bride! And...was Elrond supposed to be there? I thought he didn't show because he never really approved of the whole thing.<P> Okay, is anyone else irate over the fact that Gimli is given the role of comic relief? I mean, honestly! Especially when they're about to go into the Halls of the Dead - it's a solemn moment of decision, bravery and courage! But then...oh, there's Gimli the dwarf har har har. <P> Speaking of the Halls of the Dead...I would have liked to have seen a bit more of that! It's one of my favorite parts in the books, that description of the journey taken and you can actually taste the fear. I thought they didn't portray how frightening that experience actually would be.<P> And I thought the relationship between Legolas and Gimli could have been highlighted upon a bit more. I mean, it's true it was definitely expanded upon in TTT, but I would have liked to have seen a continuation of that; perhaps when they decide to go off and explore eachother's realms together at the end.<P> This posting shows too much of the negative things I thought about the movie and I suppose that's not fair. I really did enjoy it for the most part. I was especially glad that they included Eowyn's line "I am no man." I was scared that scene was going to be butchered somehow, but it worked out very well.<P> There were many moving moments aswell. When Merry and Pippin bid farewell at Rohan. When Frodo remembers his vial of light given to him and we hear Galadriel's voice - that's one of my favorite lines ("...our most beloved star..."). When Sam is talking about the Shire and Frodo can't remember any of it. When Pippin declares that "Eagles are coming!". When Gandalf says goodbye at the end - I mean, I just lost it; that whole scene was basically heartbreaking (although it was ruined for me by some extremely rude boys sitting next to me).<P> I thought Sean Astin's performance was amazing. His genuine expressions of heartfelt dedication to his master were heart-wrenching. He was another character who shone in the movie. I would say Best Supporting Actor worthy.<P> Another scene that was very well done was when Frodo is walking on the bridge instead of up the stairs. I thought that scene was very intense and properly displayed the kind of fear that Frodo and Sam would have felt. <P> Now that I've written all this, I desperately want to see it again. Perhaps I'll have to edit this post or create a new one after seeing it again. My opinions might change. We shall see. <P> And no one get me wrong, I did enjoy the film, all three of them. They are definitely epics. At this particular moment I would say FOTR is the best, then ROTK and TTT is definitely the weakest link. The books are far better, but the films capture some of the great themes contained in that timeless work.

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 11:23 PM   #80
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Silmaril

As I recall, in the book, the beacons were being lit as Gandalf and Pippin and Shadowfax were tearing overland toward Minas Tirith. And yes, they were on the mountaintops. "...Amon Din, and flame on Eilenach; and there they go speeding west: Nardol, Erelas, Min-Rimmon, Calenhad, and the Halfirien on the borders of Rohan."