The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-11-2003, 01:49 PM   #1
Rosolas
Animated Skeleton

Rosolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Which of the three journey's did you prefer in the TTT?

I preferred the journey of Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli. Basically because I personally thought there was a lot more action in their journey.<P>My second favourite was Frodo and Sam's with Gollum.<P>Thirdly it was Merry and Pip. I just thought their journey was sooo boring and laborious. It didn't seem to go anywhere for me personally. Under my breadth in the cinema I was saying "Oh come on! Get a move on". It was just too slow for me, but I have to admit at the end, they and the Ents came up trumps and I thoroughly enjoyed their destruction scene.<P>So what about you? What is your preference and why?
Rosolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 03:03 PM   #2
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I liked Gollum and Co.'s trip the best (except for the parts with evil-twin Faramir ). Gollum was my favorite part of the movie. Just thinking about poor Smeagol makes me weepy! <P>Wandering Contently,<BR>Iarwain<p>[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: Iarwain ]
Old 01-11-2003, 03:52 PM   #3
Aroaraniel
Wight

Aroaraniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Aroaraniel
Ring

My favorite was Merry and Pippin's journey. Oh how I love those two!
Aroaraniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 08:06 PM   #4
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

My favourite was Aragorn and co.'s, followed by Merry and Pippin's. I didn't like the fact that Gollum was leading them into Shelob's lair.

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 09:09 PM   #5
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

My favorite was Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli's because their's had all the harbinger music in it and that was the most intent part of the movie. I like Frodo, Sam, and Smeagol/Gollum's second because I like the whole Smeagol vs Gollum thing. And then Merry and Pippin's. It did get a little monotonous no matter how much I love those two.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:14 PM   #6
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Even though I love Frodo and Sam, there journey was kind of boring for me at some times. The best of the three was Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas. It was very cool.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:15 PM   #7
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

The Frodo/Sam/Gollum/Sméagol journey, hereafter referred to as Smeeodosam, was in my opinion the best in TTT. As it should be, it's the main plot! While I did enjoy the scenes and the Dwarf Comedy of the Three Walkers, I thought that the book did a better job with things like the tracking, the urgency, the hardship, and the ominous presence of Saruman.<P>Merry? Pippin? Screentime? What?
Old 04-24-2003, 12:57 PM   #8
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I liked them all in different ways.<BR>Aragorn, legolas and Gimli's journey was very exciting and it probably had the most going on, so I think I liked that one best.<BR>Merry and Pippin's was good at first but then it got a little dull because there weren't enough Treebeardisms in it. Actually, there just wasn't enough of *it*.<BR>But in the extended DVD there will be more, and there will be ent draught! Yay!<BR>Frodo and Sam's was as good and interesting as they could make it, because not that much was actually going on in comparison to Aragorn and Co's journey. Evil Faramir kind of bought it down a little though. But I'm glad that he redeemed himself at the end.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:59 PM   #9
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would have said Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli had the most interesting journey, as it had a lot of action, plus it invvolved Rohan and Helms Deep.<BR>But having scanned all the previous posts, I have yet again realised that my fatal mistake in thinking about how dull I found Frodo and Sam's journey is that I forget Faramir. And of course, Faramir being my absolute favourite character, I have to say that I prefer Frodo and Sam's journey.<BR>But then I think about Merry and Pippin's journey, and although it didn't entail much, there is one immortal moment when Treebeard says "I always like going south. Somehow it feels like going downhill." That is the best line I have ever heard in any film. So Merry and Pippin's is my favourite journey to follow because of that.<BR>But if I had to choose an absolute favourite... *thinks for about a year: Faramir, Rohan... Faramir, Rohan...* still pretty hard pressed. *lightbulb appears above head as Osgiliath is remembered* Ok, Frodo and Sam's journey is my favourite, but only the later/Faramir-including bits. But if I weren't so shallow and David Wenham adoring, I probably would be equally as shallow and say that I love ogling at Viggo Mortensen, and therefore would choose the journey of Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:00 PM   #10
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

When I first started reading TTT, I liked Merry and Pippin's journey because it was thrilling and I wanted to know if they would die or not. Pippin being my favorite character at the time, I definitly didn't want that to happen. <P>But as time progressed and I read on past the journeys of Aragorn and Pippin and all the rest, I came to a very interesting part of the book----Book 4 of Lord of the Rings. <P>Frodo and Sam's journey took my breath away. The friendship and loyalty they had to each other made me wish I was in Middle Earth even more than I already did. I wished that I could have a friend like Sam in real life. I mean, he risked his life just for loyalty to his "master". I seemed connected to this part of the story more than anything else. I almost felt as if Tolkien had drug me into the story with them. It was amazing. To this day, Frodo and Sam's journey stays my favorite part of the books, and Sam is now, and forever, my favorite character. <P>Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli's journey was exciting at times...as was Merry and Pippin's. But Frodo and Sam definitly touched my heart and changed my outlook on life. I loved it.<P>EDIT: And seeing I forgot I was in the Movies section, everything I said about the books applies to when I watched the movies as well.<p>[ April 25, 2003: Message edited by: Eruwen ]
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 12:09 AM   #11
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

Location: Wellington, New Zealand (Middle-Earth Baby Yeah!!!)
Frodo 007 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked the Frodo/Sam/Gollum journey because i love Gollum, he was the best character in TTT.<BR>Then i like the Aragorn/Gimli/Legolas journey coz it had the most action.<BR>I did like the Merry/Pippin journey aswell, but it was slow and not so much was happening.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:49 PM   #12
BethoHOG
Haunting Spirit

BethoHOG has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to BethoHOG
Sting

In the movie, I personally liked the Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli journey the best. The action at Helm's Deep was thrilling and exciting! <P>My second favorite journey (tagging <I>very</I> closely behind Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli's journey) is with Frodo, Sam, and Sméagol. After all, Frodo and Sam are my favorite characters. <P>As for Merry, Pippin, and Treebeard... well... it was just so boring in the movie, and it kept dragging on and on... especially whenever Treebeard spoke. So slow and sluggish... not that I have anything against Treebeard, I like him a lot, it's just the way he talks kind of annoys me. (I was also annoyed a bit that Treebeard sounded too close to Gimli... John Rhys-Davies could've changed his voice a little more? :-\) The only part I liked about Merry and Pippin's journey was the last part with the Ents tearing up Isengard. Now THAT was awesome. <P>I have spoken enough.<P>Navaer!<p>[ April 25, 2003: Message edited by: BethoHOG ]
Old 04-25-2003, 05:26 PM   #13
Eruwen

Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>especially whenever Treebeard spoke. So slow and sluggish...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Wasn't Treebeard's voise <I>supposed</I> to be slow and sluggish? He did say in the books {paraphrasing} that Ents never liked saying anything unless it was worth taking a long time to say. I, for one, liked that part, but it may just be my opinion.<p>[ April 25, 2003: Message edited by: Eruwen ]
Old 04-26-2003, 01:19 AM   #14
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The Elves!!! for sure... Legolas... as well as Gimli and Aragorn i suppose... but the elves.. i love the elves!

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 01:20 AM   #15
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

The Elves!!! for sure... Legolas... as well as Gimli and Aragorn i suppose... but the elves.. i love the elves!

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 04-26-2003, 02:13 AM   #16
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I loved the Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas. Aside from being *ahem*, a <I>little</I> partial to Legolas, I think it was the most dramatic to watch.<BR>Merry and Pippin were good, because I adore Pippin and the ents were done well, in my opinion. When they stormed Isengard it was breathtaking.<BR>Frodo and Sam's journey, was to be honest, a little boring to me. The only thing that perked it up was Smeagol/Gollum's presence. Considering that I hated Gollum in the books , they did a good job of making Gollum pitiable.
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 06:08 AM   #17
Arwen_Evenstar
Wight

Arwen_Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hey, <BR>I liked Sam, Frodo and Gollums journey the best, because it made me laugh(po-tate-tohs!), cry(when gollum is grabbed by Faramirs men, you can <I>see</I> the betrayal and pain in his eyes ...), and SHOUT IN ANGER(faramir!!!!!!!!!!!need i say more?) But i liked merry and pips too....Heck, I liked 'em all!!!!!
Old 04-26-2003, 03:39 PM   #18
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

My favourite was probably Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli, because they got more action, and there was the Helm's Deep scene. Second was probably Merry and Pip, because the end at Isengard managed to bring a tear to my eye. Even if I did start feeling a little sorry for Saruman. My only problem with their journey was the scenes with the Ents, I didn't like the Ents decision not to attack first. However, Merry's speech almost made me cry too. (Overemotional? Not me..)<P>Frodo and Sam's journey was probably my least favourite. Partly because it didn't conclude at Shelob's lair, also because of the ending scenes at Osgiliath.
Old 04-26-2003, 03:41 PM   #19
BethoHOG
Haunting Spirit

BethoHOG has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to BethoHOG
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Wasn't Treebeard's voise supposed to be slow and sluggish? He did say in the books {paraphrasing} that Ents never liked saying anything unless it was worth taking a long time to say.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Very true. But when it gets to the Merry, Pippin and Treebeard scenes, I always get so bored. (With the exception of the Ents tearing down Isengard like I said before)That of course, is just me.
Old 04-26-2003, 04:35 PM   #20
OddEvenstar
Pile O'Bones

OddEvenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to OddEvenstar
Shield

My favorite journey was the one featuring Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli. It just seemed like the whole plotline of TTT revolved around the one group. After all, Aragorn is the rightful king of Gondor, and when he reclaims it, he establishes an army worth fighting Mordor with. Frodo and Sam's was the close second because it really made you look at what the Ring was doing to him, and the battles he had to fight with himself. Merry and Pippin's journey was pretty much equal, the Ents being the main (or maybe only) redeeming factor.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:16 PM   #21
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli's journey barely beats out Frodo, Sam, and Gollum's for me. Merry and Pippin's didn't really seem all that riveting.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 04:23 PM   #22
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> My favorite was Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli's because their's had all the harbinger music in it and that was the most intent part of the movie. I like Frodo, Sam, and Smeagol/Gollum's second because I like the whole Smeagol vs Gollum thing. And then Merry and Pippin's. It did get a little monotonous no matter how much I love those two. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> My thoughts exactly, except that my reason for having Merry and Pip’s journey third were slightly different. a. I didn’t like the way that Treebeard was portrayed in the movie. b. their journey was shown as being rather secondary, while in the books it had the feeling of being more important, with the storming of Orthanc and all. Still, it wasn’t bad. And I think that the journey of the Three Hunters wins out over Frodo, Sam, and Gollum’s by not all that much.<BR>I liked Faramir <P>~Menelien<p>[ May 03, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]
Old 04-29-2003, 05:23 PM   #23
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In the book it was Merry and Pippin with Treebeard even though that was just a single chapter really, but from the film it was Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas as it was the central story of the movie (sorry Frodo) and dealt with in an appropriate depth. Merry and Pippen seemed just sketched out enough to fulfill plot necessity. I'm very much looking forward to the special edition though.<P>H.C.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:02 PM   #24
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

In the Books, I liked Merry and Pip's journey the best, followed by Frodo and Sam's, then Aragorn and co. In the Movie, it's a three way tie. I loved everything about M&P's journey, and I liked only parts of the other two, but seeing as how the others got so much more screentime, it won them bonus points to tie them with Merry and Pip. <P>Once the Extended DVD comes out, Merry and Pippin will most definately come out on top!!!
Old 05-02-2003, 06:33 PM   #25
Nyneve
Animated Skeleton

Nyneve has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

My favorite part was with Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli because there were a lot of good lines in those scenes. It was more dramatic and exciting as well. (do not take the oppinion of a rodent too seriously! aka me!)
Old 05-03-2003, 03:34 PM   #26
Luinalatawen
Wight

Luinalatawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luinalatawen
Eye

In the movie, I like Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli's journey the best. Next would be Merry and Pippin's, then Frodo/Sam/Gollum. It did not seem right to me. Frodo didn't appear to be in that great of a peril. He kept saying that the ring was getting harder to deal with, but the audience doesn't get the sense of just how hard it really is.
Old 05-04-2003, 12:54 AM   #27
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Ents=boring... therefore i had to sway the other way away from poor merry and Pippin... apart from the "dont tlak to it merry" bit..

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 05-04-2003, 09:47 AM   #28
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, Frodo is my favourite character, so his journey was my favourite. Even though it could be kinda slow, it is the most importent in the long run.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:25 AM   #29
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

The great thing about Frodo and Sam's journey was Gollum... oh man, he was so funny.. even if he wasnt meant to be..

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 05-06-2003, 09:53 PM   #30
Magician of Nathar
Animated Skeleton

Magician of Nathar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

To be honest, I hated the hobbits' part. I was often very annoyed because the main hero of LOTR was actually a hobbit. My friedns and I used to sit there and come up with tons of reasons why hobbits are annoying. My favourite journey is of the three walkers. In movie and book alike. And in ROTK my favourite is the journey of the grey company. I just don't like Frodo's journey. Never reread that part and I think I never will.
Magician of Nathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 01:09 AM   #31
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

I don't much like Hobbits either, but those are just our opinions, so I don't think that they really work here.<P>~Menelien
Old 05-09-2003, 07:27 AM   #32
Grimbold
Haunting Spirit

Grimbold has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I completely agree with the first post of Rosolas. When Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas and Gandalf were going around together, I was right there and didn't feel like I was being taken away from the other two journeys. When watching Merry and Pippin, I wanted to get back to Aragorn, but the journey of Frodo and Sam was cool, although Rohan was just the best.
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountains. Like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the west. Behind the hills, into shadow.
How did it come to this?
Grimbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 10:30 AM   #33
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Through the whole thing I was wondering when it would get back to the hobbits (especially during those horrible scenes with Arwen ) I really loved the battle of Helm's Deep though! <p>[ May 09, 2003: Message edited by: Sapphire_Flame ]
Old 05-11-2003, 06:34 PM   #34
Gildor15
Pile O'Bones

Gildor15 has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I agree with Sapphire_Flame. Not enough hobbits.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:22 PM   #35
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Ents=boring... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Merry and Pippin's didn't really seem all that riveting <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>But when it gets to the Merry, Pippin and Treebeard scenes, I always get so bored. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> As for Merry, Pippin, and Treebeard... well... it was just so boring in the movie, and it kept dragging on and on... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Thirdly it was Merry and Pip. I just thought their journey was sooo boring and laborious <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Let's not be hasty.<P>But seriously, you're talking about Ents. They are by nature SLOW.<BR>I actually enjoyed Merry and Pippin's part very much. <BR>When I read the book I flew through the first half because I wanted to get to Frodo and Sam's part. So the movie was really my first chance to sit back and enjoy the Ents. I feel that those two hobbits grew up in that movie. Merry's speach to Treebeard was moving and I just loved the look in Pippin's eyes at the end when he convinced Treebeard to go south. I think that in the first movie Billy and Dominic couldn't act out their part to well because they were overshadowed by everyone else. TTT really gave them a chance to show what they can do with their characters.<P>My favorite journey was Frodo and Sam's. It was my favorite in the book. I just love the interactin between the characters. This is also when the POV changes from Frodo to Sam in the books.<P>I liked Aragon, Legolas and Gimli's part the least. It's not that I didn't love it. It's just I love it less then the other parts. My reason? HOBBITS RULE!
Old 05-12-2003, 03:11 PM   #36
Grimbold
Haunting Spirit

Grimbold has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't see what's so exciting about the hobbits. The movie really slows down in the Merry and Pippin parts, and Treebeard gets a little tiresome, although not much, he's still incredible.
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountains. Like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the west. Behind the hills, into shadow.
How did it come to this?
Grimbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 10:02 PM   #37
Gimli stonesheild
Pile O'Bones

Gimli stonesheild has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<B>Gimli!</B>
Old 08-09-2003, 08:37 PM   #38
Genevieve
Animated Skeleton

Genevieve has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I liked Merry and Pip's journey the best I think, because I really liked the Ents. They were one of my favorite character/groups in TTT. Second is probably ARagorn/Gimli/Legolas journey, because there were a lot of good shots and I LOVED the music, and I really liked what was going on. Frodo and Sam's was a bit tiresome, not much action, but I don;t think that could've been helped.<P>toodles
I have never failed to feel
Pain.
Genevieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 01:42 PM   #39
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

My favorite parts were with Merry, Pippin, and Treebeard. As some of you said, they were overshadowed by the others, and I think they put the M&P parts in the wrong spots, namely in the middle of Helm's Deep, where everyone in the audience (excluding me ) is like, "C'mon, get to the killing and maiming!"<P>But contrary to what a lot of you said, I found myself bored during the Frodo and Sam parts and wanting Merry and Pippin back on screen. Hopefully in ROTK my two favorite hobbits won't be overshadowed by everyone else.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 03:36 PM   #40
Eruwen

Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I found myself bored during the Frodo and Sam parts and wanting Merry and Pippin back on screen. Hopefully in ROTK my two favorite hobbits won't be overshadowed by everyone else.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I sort of agree with you on this, in a way. Although I loved the parts with Frodo and Sam, I did wish to see Merry and Pippin on screen more. Actually, during the scenes with Aragorn & Co, I was wishing for <I>any</I> of the Hobbits to come on screen again. I don't know, but it seemed to me that the whole time I was wanting Frodo and Sam to come back on as well. What can I say? I love the Hobbits!