User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2002, 01:01 PM   #321
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Nevtalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Girion grumbled as he was ordered around by Bram. He hated the boat. His room was small and dark, not up to the standard he was used to. Even in the wood, he had felt there was space about him, a high room of rustling leaves and an unbounded room. Here, he felt like a caged animal, shut up in a boat which prevented him from sleeping and where he was forced to obey the orders of a man he was growing to detest.

The work required no mental effort, for which Girion would once have been thankful, but he found that after his recent diplomatic efforts, such menial tasks bored him. His muscles ached and his hands were alerady sore. He longed to be off the boat; somewhere where he could be in charge of his own actions. Even Rubin was too busy for him to talk to, but he was determined to get through the journey, if only to show Bram that he could.
Old 10-24-2002, 02:28 PM   #322
Ransom
Wight

Ransom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ransom
Sting

==Rivendell==
Though it had taken quite a bit of maneuvering, Elrohir had escaped duty in the initial party that greeted the dwarves. Quite a bit of effort, but completely worth it. More than once, the elusive elf had been accused of slacking on a regular basis. Of course, these charges were (almost) completely baseless. Indeed, he spent most of his ‘slacking’ time reading reports from various scouts and diplomats.

He calmly rolled up a scroll containing the reports of the Elvin rangers that had led the hobbits and dwarves to Rivendell. Not much information, but some had been fairly interesting. His hopes for the journey were beginning to perk up again. He hadn’t seen a hobbit for quite a while, but their antics and shouts certainly brightened his heart. Even the dwarves weren’t half bad. They hadn’t broken anything…yet.

But one thing bothered him. Somehow, someone had convinced a certain elf named Thule to join their party as a guide. He frowned, pulling out his saber and beginning to sharpen it. Hundreds of years of experience seemed to go cry out against the simple idea of taking assassins. Elrohir stood and sheathed his weapon and, still holding the sharpening, went out to find one of his companions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Silently padding through the gardens of Rivendell, Elrohir caught sight of his brother conversing with a hobbit and a dwarf. Truly amazing. Creeping closer, he discovered that Elladan was getting a head start on the diplomatic side of their trip. What was this talk of alliances? They hadn’t even left Rivendell! Elrohir smiled. Elladan was learning.

He bided his time carefully, waiting for a pause in the conversation before stepping out of the woods behind his twin and gently tapping him on his back. “Greetings, visitors from the Shire and the Blue Mountains. My name is Elrohir, and I am this conspirator’s brother. Perhaps you could introduce me to your newfound friends, Elladin.”
Old 10-24-2002, 02:42 PM   #323
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

****SHIRE****

"To me, yes. But there is no shame in it, my friend. We have our task to perform, and that means we have to leave our homes for a time, but we will return. And we will love our land all the more for having been away."

The elfs quiet logic and beautiful voice enchanted Brando. He had told her of the Shire..the waving cornfields...the little hobbits he played with...the little streams and valleys he searched...groves of trees he climbed...

He sighed. Ciri nudged him playfully. "Hey, this wasnt just a chance to get depressed and pour out your sorrows with a beautiful woman, was it?"

Brando blushed and nudged her back. "Oh how did you guess ma'am?" He said, bold enough to make a joke.

"Hey, I have a name, Ive told you! Anyway, is your shire all scenery then? Nothing else in it? What do little hobbits do then all day?"

The little hobbit smiled wickedly. "Oh yes of course, there are other past times. I never take more than a few bags of spuds. In a day. Usually."

Ciri laughed, grinning and punched him playfully. "Why you regular little rascal!"
He grinned back. "Hey, I think rascal is rather unfair! Especially when youre adressing the champion mushroom thief in the whole Shire!"

The elf pretended to bow and doff her cap. "Oh, I do apologise, your royal Shroomness!"

Brando laughed happily, his bashfullness and embarrasment vanishing quickly. They stared at the stars for a moment in amiable silence before Brandos eyes slid slyly towards Ciri again. She shot him a sideways glance. "That look cant mean anything good..."

"Ah, well. Fairs fair. What do little...and not so little...elves do in the elegance of these elvish..." He couldnt think of a word that would do. "places?"

[ October 27, 2002: Message edited by: Amanaduial the archer ]
Old 10-24-2002, 02:54 PM   #324
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

***Shire***

High above, a robin settled into a perch on a branch of a pine tree. This simple action dislodged a pine cone which fell towrds the ground with ever increasing speed. The pine cone's engagement with the floor of the glade was interrupted, however, by a Hobbit's head.

"Ow!" cried Brando, rubbing his head and picking out pieces of broken pine cone. The Elf laughed...
Old 10-24-2002, 04:44 PM   #325
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Urken stood in the shipyards, speaking with the Man of Gondor who was explaining the repairs that were required. At the end of their conversation, he provided Urken with a long, itemized list which totalled all the items that would be fixed or replaced. When Urken saw the final figure, he blanched.

"This is half a kingdom," he growled.

"But I understand it does not come from your pocket, but that of your companion."

"That may be true," he retorted, but in the country where I am from, a man stands beside the friends he travels with." And Urken meant those words. His business affairs were his own secret, but he wished Fuinur no ill. The man could not sail a ship to save his soul, but he was a decent companion and an accomplished warrior on the land. Urken bargained with the craftsman several minutes, and managed to get a small reduction in the total, still not enough to make the figure to his liking.

Still, they promised the ship would be ready in one more day. Now, if only he knew that his other affairs would fall in line, but he could not count on that. The risk there was much greater. He'd just have to wait and see.

"I will bring these totals to my companion. He will pay you."

The craftsman laughed, "From what I hear, your friend may have exhausted his funds."

Urken looked at him annoyed, "Do not speak like this. Say clearly what you mean!"

The man shook his head, "Only this, your friend is making a spectacle of himself in the less reputable part of town. Drink, women, gambling, you name it. He's surely spent a small fortune."

Wnraged and furious, Urken looked at the man and grabbed him by the collar, "Watch your tongue, woodcarver, or I will carve you into pieces. And I want those repairs done on time!"

But, to himself, Urken wondered. Had the wonders of the port swept all good sense away? Just what had Fuinur been doing these past few days?

Now, what was the name of the inn where he was staying? And then he remembered. He sat down and addressed a note to Fuinur at the King's Palace. The King's Palace? Ah, that was at least a respectable place.

He gave the note to the messenger and slipped him a few coins for his services.
The letter presented Fuinur with the totals for the ship repair, and asked to meet him that evening. Urken laughed. That meeting should put a crimp in Fuinur's roving ways. For he intended to have a serious talk with the man.

[ October 25, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-24-2002, 06:29 PM   #326
Celebmornie
Haunting Spirit

Celebmornie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Celebmornie Send a message via MSN to Celebmornie
Silmaril

**Rivendell**
Thule looked into the room to find it empty. She started walking and soon ran into Elrohir. He was talking to a hobbit and a dwarf. "Hello Elrohir!" She said walking up to him.

[ October 26, 2002: Message edited by: Celebmornie ]

Celebmornie
Old 10-24-2002, 06:50 PM   #327
Guildo
Wight

Guildo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Guildo
Tolkien

<<<Eryn Lasgalen>>>

Orodan & Nefros

Orodan didnt mind boating much himself for his life spanded long enough to take many boat journeys, and did not mind the work, as long as he saw to it that Nefros tend to Isilya below deck. Orodan jumped and meneuvered around the boat with ease, and followed every order given to him with the utmost speed, slowing down every now and again to try and confort Frain from being so cautios about his every step, as if he was going to fall off.

For the most part the only thing going through Orodan's head was which would be the best part of the boat to lay for the night, for he was especialy looking foward to sleeping under the stars, and only went below deck to check up on the other four Elves.

Glen Sight
Old 10-24-2002, 07:24 PM   #328
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

^^^^^^Erebor/Lonely Mt^^^^^^

Frain grumbled and stared at his feet as he slowly made his way to his cabin. He was tired, his eyelids threatening not to open the next time he blinked. He hated the ship, and realized it wasn't such a joyride. Every step he took reminded him of what they were floating on, and how deep it was.

Carefully watching each step, Frain accidentally bumped into Orodan (who, by the way, tired none and made Frain rather jealous).

Friend Frain! Why must you keep your feet in such a way? Do you not trust our faithful captain? Orodan chuckled.

Sorry, Sir Orodan. And yes, I trust him very much. It is my feet that I do not trust. Unsteady, they seem. 'Tis not so under the Mountain, I assure you. Sturdy as steel, yet they seem waivering as though I can't control them. Frain shook his head in dismay at his own stability, or lack of it.

After a quick and polite good-bye, Frain continued to his quarters. He had not the chance to meet the captain fully yet, but he intended to have a chat, as the work on the boat seemed not enough for Frain's strong arms.

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ October 24, 2002: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 10-24-2002, 09:46 PM   #329
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

***** DALE - Jarl *****

They had found the two young men not far into their search in the mountained area. Jarl and Gramil had seen the smoke of a campfire. When they dismounted a distance away from it, and had crept up on its source, they thought that Ethar and Garlin had been taken hostage.

Ethar lay still by the fire, and Garlin sat next to him, his head hanging down. Two unknown, armed men moved about the camp, speaking a language Jarl did not recognize.

He and Gramil reached for their weapons. Jarl had knocked an arrow and pulled back his bow, while Gramil drew out his blade. They advanced upon the two armed men, gesturing for them to lay down their weapons or be killed.

There was a fierce look in both the strangers' eyes and it seemed as if they might fight the approaching two to the death, if necessary.

Garlin called out to Jarl. 'Stop! These men have been helping Garlin and I get back to you. They were being held hostage by brigands, and it was when we tried to free them that Ethar caught the knife in his leg.'

Gramil had been listening to the exchange of words between the two strangers. A surprised look filled his face. He sheathed his weapon and bade Jarl put his bow away. Then he tried a few phrases on the one who appeared to be the leader.

It was now the stranger's turn to be surprised. He answered in turn, while both he and his companion sheathed their blades.

Jarl turned to Gramil, a questioning look on his face. 'They're from Nurn!' said Gramil, studying the leader closely. Jarl's eyes narrowed and looked the pair over, too. 'From Nurn. What an interesting concidence.'

It had been a grim week's journey. The knife wound in Ethar's left calf had started to swell and fester. It had been so tender when they first found him that he had been unable to walk on it, and now he was starting to have chills.

'Fever will soon follow.' said Jarl, quietly to Gramil. 'We have got to take him to someone who can deal with this. it needs draining and poultices, and he needs a good, long rest.'

Ethar was seated, for today's journey, in front Jarl on the oliphaunt. Jarl held the young man securely against him. He was so weak, and now the fever was starting to rise. Soon both men would be drenched from it.

Gramil poured some water on a small scarf and handed it to Jarl. He placed it over the top of Ethar's head. The water would evaporate in the heat of the sun and the moist vapors would bring some measure of relief to the fevered young man.

'We'll be in Pelargir late tonight.' he told Jarl. We can get some rooms and I'll go for the herbalist. I know one there. He used to travel with the armies in his younger days. He will know exactly what to do for him.'

Al-Gareth and his companion, Al-Hafir, had joined the journey west on the invitation of Gramil. They rode on Ethar's oliphaunt, speaking only when spoken to - though often they could be heard speaking softly to one another, just low enough that Gramil could not make out the meaning.

He had the opportunity to study them intently as they rode along on this long journey. It was an interesting fact that the interaction between the two, though they were of similar age, was not one of companions on an equal footing. Rather, Al-Hafir was always deferential to the other man. And Al-Gareth, Gramil noted, always initiated the dialog. 'An interesting pair.' he thought to himself.

By night fall, they had entered into the city. They were all bone tired, even the oliphaunts who had been pushed to their limits. Gramil took them to a place he had used before - The King's Inn. There was a place to quarter their mounts, and a suite of rooms on the second floor that would accomodate the entire party.

The innkeeper quoted a price to Gramil, who opened his mouth to bargain for the rooms. Wearily, Jarl put a hand on his arm and shook his head 'no'.

Gramil smiled and pointed at Jarl. 'My friend here will be paying. Name the price and show us to the rooms quickly.'

The innkeeper grinned, his eyes flashing in anticipation. Sighing loudly, Jarl pulled out his pouch.

[ October 27, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-25-2002, 12:44 AM   #330
Adanedhel
Animated Skeleton

Adanedhel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

***** DALE - Rira *****

Rira looked over the crew once more, looking into the eyes of each one searching for the man's weakness or his worth. As his vision passed over the last man he came to the First Mate, Bram.

'I say again, an interesting crew, but one that looks very efficient and very skilled'

He flicked a glance through the rigging and over the decking looking for any signs of neglect or misuse, upon finding none he remarked;

'You run a clean and right ship Bram, i like that'

Rira watched Bram bristle with pride and a small smile form on his lips.

'Now introduce me to this fine crew of yours, they seem like a certainly lively bunch'

He chuckled and rubbed his hands together eager to know this crew and get on with the journey ahead.....

[ October 25, 2002: Message edited by: Adanedhel ]

-Henry V
Old 10-25-2002, 01:40 AM   #331
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

***** DALE - Bram *****

Bram saw several faces blanch when the phrase 'your fine crew' was spoken. He could almost hear the word, "hostages", ring through the air, and he looked about surprised that no one else could hear it.

'Well, Captain', he said, 'these are the companions we talked about several weeks ago - the ones King Bard wants delivered to King Elessar for that special audience. Now none of them have done a lot of sailing, but they are quick learners and . . . enthusiastic . . . in their own ways.'

The groans were almost audible at this remark, but he ignored them and went on.

He motioned forth the Dwarves, first. 'These are the representatives from The Lonely Mountain. Stonehelm, Hringa, Durgan, and Frain.' Next came the Elves. 'And these are the representatives from Mirkwood - Orodan, Nefros, and the lovely Isilya. Last came the Men. 'These are the representatives from Dale - Girion and Rubin.'

Bram could see some of the companions' mouths drop open at this introduction like fish out of water, gasping for air.

'He left out all our titles!' hissed Girion to Rubin. 'Shame!' muttered Durgan, looking toward Stonehelm.

[ October 25, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-25-2002, 03:28 AM   #332
Adanedhel
Animated Skeleton

Shield

*****Dale - Rira *****

Rira nodded to each person in turn and noticed the nearly inaudible groan escape the lips of some of the members of Bram's crew. This brought a slight and barely noticable frown onto Rira's face, one that dissapeared as soon as it appeared.
He then moved forward and shook hands with each of the crew reciting their names with a small nod as he did so.

First were the Dwarves 'Stonehelm, Hringa, Durgan, Frain' moving on to the Elves 'Orodan, Nefros, Isilya' Rira looked at Isilya a little longer as her beauty was indeed quite spectactular, he looked into her eyes with a hard gaze but she returned it and stood stone still Rira smiled to himself and knew that there was more to her than her looks. Then came the Men 'Girion and Rubin' Rira noticed Girion grind his teeth slightly and Rubin winced when he said their names and he wondered what was wrong, but he said nothing.

The thought soon left his mind as his stomach grumbled, he turned to Bram and said;

'First Mate Bram, this is a fine crew indeed one that looks both capable and sea worthy'

Rira looked back at the group.

'....and also hungry and thirsty by the look of things. May i invite you to my house for some food and maybe a drink or two?'

He chuckled as he saw, out of the corner of his eye some of the Men and Dwarves look up with small grins on thier faces at the words 'A drink or two'.

'Let us go!'

Rira walked purposefully down the gang plank and onto the dock he turned and watched Bram then the crew come down and look around from the dock. Rira moved off guiding the group up a small path towards his home.....

[ October 26, 2002: Message edited by: Adanedhel ]

-Henry V
Old 10-25-2002, 06:50 AM   #333
Kettle of fish
Wight

Kettle of fish has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

***** Dale - Rubin *****

"Hush for now," Rubin whispered softly to Girion, "and look at this new captain. Look deep into his eyes. I do not think he tolerates anger or pride well. Do not let him provoke you, Girion, for on this boat he is king."

Rubin could almost hear Girion grinding his teeth. He turned his gaze back to the new captain.
Old 10-25-2002, 10:16 PM   #334
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

**** Harad/Umbar ****

“My lord, my lords are you awake?”
“Mmmm… what is it?” asked Fuinur as the girl continued her massage
“There is a man here with a message for you”
Fuinur rased his head and saw a messenger waiting for him by the doorway
Rising from the bed Fuinur approached the man and was given a note.
Fuinur thanked the messenger and handed him some coins for his trouble.

Once the man left the room Fuinur opened the letter.
The note was from Urken. The note contained a complete assessment of the ships repairs along with the total cost of these repairs; the sum was staggering to say the least. Why he could by a whole new ship for the price of the repairs. At the end of the tally was a message from Urken requesting that they meet this evening.
“ Damn him,” thought Fuinur “we just started to have fun”!
Turning to the two girls Fuinur apologised and explained that they had to leave. Fuinur winked at the girl who was massaging him before Trying to wake the snoring Seth by pressing closed his nostrils. Seth jumped up sputtering.

“Hay! Why did you do that, I was having the most wonderful dream. You know, the one with all the girls in it.”
“They all have girls in them”; laughed Fuinur “You’ll have to be more specific. Anyway, sorry to spoil your fun but we have to go. Urken has sent word. He wants to meet with us. Tonight”.

Leaving the Kings palace the pair made their way towards the harbour. Along the way they noticed a group of Oliphaunts “parked’ outside the Kings Inn.

“Strange that others would have Oliphaunts in the port” thought Fuinur. Turning to Seth Fuinur declared that he wanted to investigate further.

“Investigate. Sure! You just want to have another drink. What about Urken?”

“Don’t worry. I’ve made a solum vowel never to drink again. Don’t give me that look. I mean it this time. Anyway, we will only be a little while in there. Relax; there is plenty of time to meet with Urken. Besides it might be someone we know.” Seth practised pulling faces at his friend and master. He was not impressed with his masters renewed pledge.

Upon entering the Inns common room, Fuinur spotted someone he had not seen for a long time.

“ Gramil, you old dog. How are you? Sorry I could not meet with you before but I had to leave in a bit of a hurry. I hope my little letter helped you? How goes the mission? What are you doing in this part of the world? You were supposed to be negotiating with Jarl of Dale, representative of King Brand of Dale, to negotiate a trade agreement with our realm. Why are you here?”

Caching up the two groups enjoyed a quiet drink while Gramil filled Seth and Fuinur in on what had happened on their journey. Soon Fuinur noticed the time. He sill needed to meet with Urken. Apologising, Fuinur promised to return on the morrow.

[ October 26, 2002: Message edited by: Alkanoonion ]
Old 10-26-2002, 10:26 AM   #335
Ringwraith Number Two
Haunting Spirit

Ringwraith Number Two has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

******The Shire/Rivendell/Blue Mountains******
Orlo smiled, and bowed his head in respectful greeting. "Orlo Hornblower of the Shire, sir," he said.

Elladan nodded his acknowledgment, but before he could say anything, someone else walked into the room.

"I am so sorry to disturb you!" The elf started to walk away, but turned back.

"Are you the group that I am to lead?" She asked.

Orlo wondered who this newcomer was. He hadn't seen her before, and no one had spoken of her yet. Glancing at Elladan, he saw their his brow was furrowed. Orlo decided to be courteous, and bowing in the same way he had done before, he introduced himself. "May I know your name?" he asked of the Elf.

"Thule," replied the newcomer. Orlo nodded.

There was a silence. Finally, Serin spoke. "If you will excuse me," he said bowing to the company," I'm afraid I will have to retire for the night. Good night to all of you." He turned, and left.

"Well, I'm afraid I'll have to say the same," Orlo said. "I'll see you all in the morning." He bowed politely and left.

He hurried down the passages and back to his room. Checking that everything was packed for the last time, he sighed with relief and fell into bed, anxious to get a good night's sleep for the journey ahead.

[ October 26, 2002: Message edited by: Ringwraith Number Two ]
Old 10-26-2002, 11:31 AM   #336
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

^ ^ ^ ^ Erebor/ Lonely Mountain ^ ^ ^ ^

Stonehelm ignored Durgan's look of reproach about Bram's breezy familiarity. He reached forward to shake hands with the man who at the moment held their lives in his hands, which he hoped were capable. Let him take his lead, thought Stonehelm to himself.

Rira, a captain to please the finest crew. We shall prove ourselves fit to the task, Captain, for I have no desire to spend my days here swabbing the deck, although a man who runs a tidy bar should have enough experience of swabbing down things, eh, Bram? A grin signalled the challenge in Stonehelm's words.

We shall indeed take you up on your offer, Rira, although some of us might be a bit beforehand in the matter. Here Stonehelm glanced at Durgan, who still looked green even in the fresh air. Tell us the tales of your mistress here, the Anduin. How capricious is she?

[ October 26, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 10-26-2002, 12:40 PM   #337
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

***** DALE - Bram *****

Noting Stonehelm's words, and the color of Durgan's face, Bram grinned. He stepped away for a moment, returning with a pail and mop. By this time the remainder of the contents of Durgan's stomach had deposited itself on the deck, spattering itself a little on the hem of the fair Isilya's dress. Orodan and Nefros looked on in a disgusted manner at the now prostrate Dwarf, and went to offer their assistance to the Elven maiden.

'This does not bode well for Elf and Dwarf relations.' thought Bram, shaking his head with a half smile on his face.

He saluted Stonehelm with the mop, as the young King offered his hand to Durgan and pulled him to his feet. Then Bram bent his back to the swabbing of the deck, and told the others to go on ahead - he would be there directly when the deck was clean.
Old 10-26-2002, 03:21 PM   #338
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

******Shire******

Hardo grumbled irritatedly when Orlo breezed into the room and made absolutely no attempt to be quiet while he packed, despite the fact that Hardo was obviously trying to sleep. But, then, his whole stay in Rivendell had been like that. Everyone seemed so happy to be here with the Elves, even the Dwarves! Hardo couldn't see what the big deal was. In fact, he could have done without a lot of the singing and prancing around the Elves loved to do so much. It seemed to him that the Dwarh Mikhelm had the right idea by staying in his room as much as he could. Oh, well, at least they'd be leaving in the morning and maybe being on the road would cause the Elves to settle down a bit and not be so... rambunctious.

He rolled over to face the wall and try to get back to sleep, but Odo was snoring and the moonlight was very bright. He couldn't sleep.
Finally, he got up and sat outside in the moonlight for a while until he got sleepy again. Before he could get up and go back inside, however, he slumped sidways onto the lush grass and fell fast asleep.
Old 10-26-2002, 03:56 PM   #339
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

The next morning dawned bright and clear. All of the hobbits were escorted by elves down to a table laden with fruit and clear drink. Meneciriel, Elladan, Elrohir, Fanelen, and Thule were already seated.

"Good morning, my friends," Ciri said, smiling. "I trust you slept peacefully."

The hobbits replied that they had, sat down, and set at the breakfast with good will.

"Miss Ciri?" Brando piped up curiously. "Not that I am not enjoying your hospitality here at Rivendell, but when are we going to set out for the King's Council?"

"Why, tomorrow, my good hobbit. That is what I had intended to tell you. This breakfast may be the only time today that we will have to sit and rest - there is much to be done today."
Old 10-26-2002, 05:40 PM   #340
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Cuthalion
Sting

Durgan allowed himself to be pulled to his feet, inwardly mortified. Not only had he embarrassed himself in front of Stonehelm, he had let himself down as well. Nodding to Bram, he retreated to the port side of the deck and gazed longingly at dry, solid land.

Never before had he felt quite so incompetent or so clumsy. Always before he had been in complete control and this queasy feeling had taken him by surprise. Sucking in great lungfuls of clean air, he finally felt stable enough to approach the others.

He walked over to Stonehelm and drawing him aside, he said, Forgive me. I did not mean to appear so weak before these Men and Elves. Tell me now what you would have me do once we arrive in the South. I feel useless here, my King. He stroked his beard in frustration. To my way of thinking, Dwarves were never meant for sailing, it just isn't natural.

[ October 27, 2002: Message edited by: Cuthalion ]
Old 10-26-2002, 08:06 PM   #341
Shadow_Staar
Haunting Spirit

Shadow_Staar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Shadow_Staar Send a message via AIM to Shadow_Staar
Sting

Mikhelm paced his room, he was very upset. He did not want to travel with the elves, he did not want to see the elves, he wanted nothing to do with the elves.
He heaved a sigh and got to work on packing his few things. He soon finished and walked out into the hall and bumped into one of the elves.
"Sor-" Mikhelm stopped when he noticed it was and elf and growled.
"No apologies, noble dwarf?" The female elf asked.
"Why should I apologize? It's you who ran into me." He growled.
"I fear you are wrong there, it is you who ran into me." She replied.
He growled again when he knew she was right.
"No need to growl. But I have to leave, but before I go, what's your name?"
"Why do you care?" The dwarf asked.
"I like to know who I travel with." She smiled.
"Mikhelm."
"And I am Ciri."

[ October 26, 2002: Message edited by: Shadow_Staar ]
Old 10-26-2002, 09:54 PM   #342
Adanedhel
Animated Skeleton

Shield

****Dale - Rira****

Rira hid his amusement well at the Dwarf's blunder but quickly regained his composure and just as the mess was finally cleaned up he waved the crew to follow him up the stone path cut out towards his house which lay nearly hidden away above on the hill top not far away.
Rira turned to Bram as they walked and asked casually:

'How was the river on the voyage here? The mighty Anduin can be a cruel mistress if she so fancies it'

Rira said keeping his eyes on the track ahead as it slowly moved up hill. He moved with long strides and as he was used to walking back and forth along the slightly steep path he was used to the climb but he could hear some of the Men huffing and puffing from behind at the back of the group.

'The voyage was quite good, we encountered no problems but we are still glad for you to be captianing us the rest of the way'

Bram huffed out between breaths, Rira looked behind for a fleeting second at Bram then said:

'As am I, I haven't captained a boat for a long time'

He looked down for a moment remembering the last voyage he had ended in the loss of his crew after being smashed on rocks near the mouth of the Anduin.
After about half an hours climb they made it to the steps of the house. It wasn't anything spectactular but was cosy and welcoming, the large thatch roof and a chimney poking out the top and smoke trailed out of it with a tinge of meat coooking. It was a home. It stood atop the hill and large windows looked over the river and the dock itself.
Rira turned and smiled to the slightly puffed out group, with the exception of the stout Dwarves and the very fleet Elves, and said with pride.

'This is my humble abode. All are welcome to drink, eat and talk of stories and times long gone'

The group stood uncertainly, not knowing what to do next. Rira chuckled, sniffed the air and said.

'Enter! My lovely wife Polgara seems to be preparing us a lovely meal, she will attend to your needs, for now i need to feed and tend the horses, i will join you later for dinner!'

With a grin Rira opened the door and let the crew in, yelling in to his wife.

'Polgara! Feed and water these fine guests of ours!'

Without another look Rira moved off around the house towards the stables, leaving the crew in the care of his wife....

[ October 29, 2002: Message edited by: Adanedhel ]

[ October 29, 2002: Message edited by: Adanedhel ]

-Henry V
Old 10-27-2002, 07:58 AM   #343
Isilya
Wight

Location: At the bottom of a black hole. Actually, it's quite nice. Hey, is that Elvis?!
Isilya has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Isilya
Silmaril

******EREN LASGALEN******

Isilya lay in a cabin, sleeping. Her strength was slowly returning to her, but she did not dare venture on board. Nefros came down at least once every two hours. They had spent a numerous amount of time talking, mainly about what had happened after they had departed. Nefros was disappointed that Lord Lanothir and Thoron did not come. Even though he had already thanked them, he still felt that he needed to express his gratitude on a larger scale. Isilya, though she thoroughly and completely trusted Thoron, was still uneasy about Lanothir. He had never told her what his business was, and not once did he open the packs in her presence. She found this suspicious, but did not say anything to her brother, yet.

[ October 30, 2002: Message edited by: Isilya ]
Old 10-27-2002, 01:34 PM   #344
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

***Shire/Rivendell/Blue Mountains***

The day passed uneventfully, with much scurrying to and fro between rooms, trying to decide who would pack what, what was unnecessary, and how much food to carry along with them.

Serin packed his belongings quickly, noticing Mikhelm talking to the elf Ciri. Well, at least he’s making some attempt to be polite, Serin thought optimistically. Perhaps the journey would be better than he had originally thought. Tense silences and strained conversation would not make for a good journey to Minas Anor.

Brando popped his head round the door a moment later.

“Serin, would you mind coming down the kitchen to help Orlo and I? Only we have a lot of people to provide for, and well, we’re not entirely sure about how much dwarves eat…” Serin laughed, and walked down to the kitchens with Brando. Outside he saw Theron and Hardo smoking thoughtfully, with their smoke rings floating up into the cloudy sky. The weather didn’t look altogether pleasing for the start of their journey, but they had to start the next day to make it to Minas Anor in time.

Now down in the kitchens, Serin helped the hobbits to judge how much food to take, and pack it. By the time this job was over, the sky was growing dark, as the hobbits had had much argument over the amount of food they could take. Serin had had to persuade them to take a little less food than they had originally decided, and the hobbits were crestfallen to hear that they could not possibly have six meals a day while on the road south.

So once this lengthy job was completed, the hobbits and Serin retired to their beds for the night, and the next morning dawned bright and clear…

[ October 28, 2002: Message edited by: *Varda* ]
Old 10-27-2002, 02:54 PM   #345
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

* * * * * Rhűn Nation * * * * *

The group made it safely to Vakuf that evening and was given shelter by the mayor who was alarmed at the tale of attack and slaughter they told him. The next morning he gave them fresh mounts and provisions, and they were quickly on their way westward. Ninos’ group of foot soldiers remained behind in the village to help garrison its walls until he could return in force to deal with the were-bears.

On the road, Kasteni, Lovek and Ulwyte, along with the eight remaining horse soldiers of Ozvalda, rode with Ninos and his horsemen. They traveled safely for three days as the land slowly changed from open, rolling grassland to thickly forested hills. Ninos held the last kingdom of Ozren before the Aranaw Forest, which formed a natural border between him and the Sea of Rhűn. At the eastern edge of the forest was the ancient walled fortress of Maoca, which had been originally built by the men of Stoneland. Now the great keep and walled town served as the chief city of Ninos land.

On the fourth day, they arrived at the stony town, and Ninos held a celebration of his successful return to his throne, but it was tempered by the mourning for his dead soldiers and those slain at the roadside fortresses. His mood was equally somber the next morning as he watched Kasteni ride westward on his long journey to Gondor. He had wished him well, but had provided no men or aid other than food and water. His people were already gathering a large force to ride eastward and secure the ravaged hostels.

As the sun rose on the seventh day of their journey, Kasteni wondered how they had come so short a distance in so long a time. Forces were acting against his journey that he could not control, and the one week seemed more like a month. His only hope now was that he could find quick passage across the Sea and come soon to the great Dagorlad Highway. There, it was said, the Stoneland King was already providing protection of sort from monstrous attacks and waylaying vagabonds.

He turned to his two companions and said, “We did not have the proper time to mourn the loss of Khuleln, and yet we already miss the comfort of his presence. He died in the service of Mislavini. A great way to die that will ensure the future of his family. I beseech the Eye that we do not all make that same sacrifice on this journey.”

With that, they rode quickly along the rode through the Aranaw Forest, hoping to come to its further side and the seaport of Rufalas. That large city of fishers and sailors would be their next destination.

[ October 27, 2002: Message edited by: The Barrow-Wight ]
Old 10-27-2002, 06:17 PM   #346
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

*****Rhűn Nation*****

Lovek listened absentmindedly. He could not believe that men in his company had been lost. He had not lost many men in his battles, and he always considered it a fault of his when he did so.

Now, he was also left with only Kasteni and the upstart, Ulwyte. So far, Ulwyte had been unusually quiet.

Lovek looked over to Ulwyte, and saw him sitting, staring straight ahead. There was a glimmer of what looked like fear in Ulwyte's face.

Fear after only this? What will happen to him once we are in enemy territory? The lands of the West are not even as friendly to us as the were-bears were, Lovek thought, bitterly.

That night, as they stopped to make camp, still in the forest, Lovek sat by the fire, alert. He and another guard were to remain awake and guard, just in case foul creatures were abroad.

Lovek heard a noise in the woods. The guard turned to him, fear in his face.

"Shall we...?" mouthed the frightened guard. Lovek knew very well what he meant.

"Of course! Do not act as a cowardly Westlander!" Lovek snapped in a whisper. He indicated that the guard should check one side of the path and he would check the other.

Lovek kept his guard up as he searched. Just as he was about to turn back to the group, he heard a noise behind him. He spun, drawing his sword and holding it to the creature that was now behind him. Lovek looked at the being and spat.

"An Elf!" he said, distastefully.

In a beat, the Elf pulled a dagger and held it to Lovek's throat. The two stood, blades at each other's throat, looking at each other through despising eyes. The Elf had dark hair and grey eyes and stood about 6'2" in height.

The two stood, neither daring to make a sound, waiting for the other to make a move. Suddenly, the Elf found another blade pointed at him. The guard had crossed over and now stood next to Lovek, holding his blade to the Elf's throat as well.

A few hours later, all of the men stood around and the Elf sat, bound with rope and within sight.

"What do you propose we do with him?" one of the guards asked.

"I say," Lovek began, "That we bring him with us to the gathering. We can complain of such foul beings wandering and explain that it is dangerous to us, for this Elf would have killed me, had I not had such keen hearing!"

"Calm, Lovek," Kasteni warned, "We do not want to begin a war we cannot finish."

"And why can we not?" Lovek said, growing more and more passionate, "We can defeat them!"

"All of the East?" Ulwyte said, dubiously.

"You show such fear!" Lovek said, accusingly, "You are not fit for this mission, Ulwyte! You are afraid of everything! And you are untrained. You are too young for such things! You should not have come along! And you have no business questioning me, you ignorant footsoldier!"

"Lovek!" Kasteni warned, but it was too late, for Ulwyte had already sprung at Lovek. The two wrestled each other to the ground.

"Grab them!" Kasteni commanded the guards. The guards grabbed the grappling men and pulled them apart.

"Let me go," Lovek said, in a forced, calm tone. When the guards did not respond immediately, he jerked away from their grasps and stood before Ulwyte, looking at him challengingly.

"Care to try again?" Lovek asked, tauntingly.

[ October 27, 2002: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]
Old 10-28-2002, 08:03 PM   #347
Belin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

*****Rivendell*****

Elladan was humming softly as the wide gates opened to let them out. How could anyone help but be merry as they rode out into the sunlight on a journey that he suddenly felt could only be for the best? Carelessly, he fit a few words to the tune in his mind.

"The sun was bright, the moon was pale, as we rode forth from the vale," he sang.

He'd be sworn to it that even that Mikhelm looked a little cheerier, now that he was riding beyond the walls of the Elven city. The idea that any residue of the dwarf's displeasure was certain to be turned toward any song-inspired dweller of Rivendell was one he was in a mood to shrug off. Serin was his friend, or would be, and the hobbits were delightful, after the way of their kind, and certainly all would be well, as why indeed shouldn't it? He grinned merrily at the eldest of the hobbits, whose scowl was at the moment more a matter of stubbornness than of any true irritation. Brando had even joined into Elladan's song.

So, they were off. The mysterious Thule, late as usual (an unfortunate trait in a guide, but one Elladan supposed he could do nothing about)rode up behind them just as they left the city.

"Stop!" she cried.

They turned and looked at her. Elrohir, less flighty than his brother and therefore in a less bouyant mood (for which reason Elladan's survey of the company had more or less ignored him), raised a questioning eyebrow at her. Elladan, whose eye caught a tiny, lonely figure looking outward from the city, gave a soft sigh and continued to hum meditatively as the guide began, longwindedly, to introduce herself. Out of the corner of his eye, he caught a trace of Fanelen's movement, more restless than that of her horse...
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Old 10-28-2002, 08:20 PM   #348
Celebmornie
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

***Rivendell***
Thule joins the groupe and smiles.
"Hello! I am Thule! I can get you anywhere you need to go. Just please dont nagg me about our direction! I might be taking the long way around somethings but I have my reasons for it. Well we best be off!"
She smiles and urges her horse to start moving.

Celebmornie
Old 10-29-2002, 11:17 AM   #349
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

Ciri rolled her eyes in annoyance. Perhaps bringing this guide along was not the wisest of decisions. She nudged her horse forward, coming up next to Thule.

"Are you planning on being late to a battle too? Will you be somewhere else when all of us need you?"

Thule blushed and ducked her head, but Ciri assumed she had received the point.
Old 10-29-2002, 01:57 PM   #350
Ringwraith Number Two
Haunting Spirit

Ringwraith Number Two has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

******The Shire/Rivendell/Blue Mountains******

Orlo munched an apple nonchalantly as they continued travelling. He was getting used to this: meeting new people, adapting to new places...Wanting to talk to Elladan, he overtook Brando, giving him a brotherly sort of pat on the head.

"Good morning," he said brightly. "That was a merry song you sang this morning. Was it one you already knew, or did you make it up on the spot?"

Elladan smiled. "I just put a few words to a tune I already knew."

Orlo whistled approvingly. "Bilbo Baggins used to do that. Wish I could. My family always said I sounded worse than a yowling cat. Thats the kind of encouragement I received in my younger days." Orlo said "younger days" in the manner of an experienced hobbit. Elladan smiled secretly.

Orlo lowered his voice. "Looks like we've got no need for alliances yet!" he said happily.

[ October 29, 2002: Message edited by: Ringwraith Number Two ]
Old 10-29-2002, 04:14 PM   #351
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

^^^^^^^^Lonely Mountain^^^^^^^^

It had been his first time on a ship. At first he hadn't trusted his legs to walk around the deck but once Hringa got used to the swaying of the water he found himself enjoying the ride.

So when they stopped Hringa was eager to get going. He told Stonehelm this and the king laughed and said, "Well you should take that up with our captain. We do need to be on our way again soon."

As the others ate Hringa forgot his appitite and went in search of Rira. He found the captin at the stables. "Um..sir."

Rira looked up. "Yes. What is it? Aren't you hungry."

"Yes. Very much so but I was wondering when we would get back on the river. We do have a scedule to keep"
Old 10-29-2002, 09:17 PM   #352
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

***** DALE - Bram *****

Bram chuckled when he heard the comment made by Hringa. Trust a Dwarf to be concerned with schedules and timetables! He stuffed another slice of dilled river trout in his mouth, washed it down with a sip of fine Dorwinion wine, and went over to talk to Rira.

'I think the Dwarf is right, Captain. It's a fine spread your wife has laid out for us, but we really do need to be in Minas Anor on Mettarë or just a little before. Let us wind up this fine meal, and meet back on the ship.'

Bram walked over to Hringa, who stood talking quietly to Stonehelm, and clapped him on his back. 'A fine taskmaster you have here, Stonehelm. One to keep us on our toes and bound for Gondor in a timely fashion!' He set down his goblet on the small table next to him, and winked at Hringa. 'What say you gather the Dwarves together, and I will gather the Elves and Dalesmen. We will board the ship this evening and by the morrow, with a good wind at our backs, we can be in the area of Lothlorien. I have need of the counsel of the remaining Elves, there. If you wish, the companions can visit the once great realm of the Lady of the Woods.'

Hringa looked at Bram in wonder. He had heard of Galadriel, but never thought to see the realm where she once ruled. The Dwarf wondered if it would be empty without her, now that she had passed over the Sea with the ring bearers.

The companions had been gathered together, and all bowed and thanked Rira's wife for the chance to enjoy such a pleasant meal. She accompanied them down to the dock and watched them as they set sail for the south. They could see her, on the dock, waving her white apron in the fading light of evening. Then they rounded a bend in the river and she was lost to sight.

[ October 30, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-30-2002, 12:45 AM   #353
Adanedhel
Animated Skeleton

Sting

****DALE - Rira****

Captain Rira was happy to be on a boat again sailing down the Anduin, feeling the breeze in his hair and barking orders to the crew mates running the ship as well as they could.
He watched the crew as they went about their various tasks and Rira was fairly impressed with their efficiency and speed at which they did their jobs, and just as impressed with the Elves in the crow's nest whose magnificant sight was a blessing to any Captain.

'First Mate Bram!'

Rira yelled, standing at the cabin wheel,

'Make ready to cut the sails!'

Rira stood, legs slightly apart both hands on the cabin wheel listening as Bram relayed the message onto the crew of the ship. As he gazed ahead he instinctively looked up to the crow's nest and made sure that the look out was still there.
He pulled his attention away from the crow's nest as Bram came up to him and stood next to him, Rira looked over and said;

'We're moving at a steady rate, maybe too fast for this river. Cutting the sails will slow us down a knot or too but still keep us going at a fast enough rate on the current'

Bram nodded knowingly with a thoughtful look on his face, Rira smiled and said.

'Don't worry too much about not getting there on time, i have been sailing up and down this river nearly all my life and can get you there as fast as you want. The only problem is the portage we need to do before the falls of Rauros'

Rira paused for a moment and stared ahead of the boat willing himself to see any hidden dangers ahead.

'We will make a short stop over in Lorien, though i am not sure if we can stay long, maybe a day and a half at the most'

He still looked ahead eyes firmly fixed on the river beyond the bow and his calloused hands firmly on the cabin wheel, guiding the ship down the river....

[ October 30, 2002: Message edited by: Adanedhel ]

-Henry V
Old 10-30-2002, 12:16 PM   #354
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Nevtalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

* * * DALE-Girion * * *

Slowing down? Girion cursed silently, still trying not to irritate either the first mate or the captain. He didn't want to be slowing down. To put it bluntly, he did not want to be on the boat at all; he would rather have walked and been late. Swallowing hard, he tried to think of the reasons he was here; his father, his people, the kingdom which would one day be his. He just managed to overcome his urge to throw himself over the side and swim to Minas Anor and tried to plan what he would say to King Elessar when they finally arrived, hoping that if he focused on his task, he might not hit anyone. Thankfully, no diplomatic relations were harmed by his meeting with the High King, and he knew exactly not what to say or do when they did meet.
Old 10-30-2002, 01:56 PM   #355
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

***** DALE - Bram *****

Bram watched Girion fight with himself. 'I wonder if he knows how much like his father he is? Probably not, Bard never thought he matched up to his father's expectations when he was younger. But he grew into them, and made them his own.' He chuckled at his memories of a much younger Bard, eyes blazing at some perceived insult, his diplomacy meted out by his clenched fists. Bram rubbed the bridge of his nose absently, a small irregular bump there, where Bram's sharp, unschooled tongue had met with Bard's 'diplomacy'.

He thought for a moment, then walked toward Girion, and stood before him, hands behind his back. 'I've come to make amends for my behavior toward you.' he said, offering his hand to the young man. He looked the Girion in the eyes and smiled. 'You are much as I remember your father.' he said, eyes sparkling. 'I knew him then, back when we both were younger.'

[ October 30, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-30-2002, 04:02 PM   #356
Celebmornie
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

**Rivendell**
Thule felt bad that she was late and had a feeling that no one was gonna let her forget she was. So she just rode ahead following the path planed out in her head.

Celebmornie
Old 10-30-2002, 04:18 PM   #357
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

***Shire/Rivendell/Blue Mountains***

Serin glanced back at Thule, wondering why they had chosen her as a guide. Constantly late, not very sociable...it didn't help that they were now attempting to cross the Misty Mountains with the rain beating down around them. No hope of good weather for some time.

The hobbits huddled close the mountain face, to keep a little dryer. The horses plodded along, and thunder rumbled overhead. Lightning flashed, and after continuing for another hour or two, Ciri demanded a halt, as everyone was beginning to look soggy and bedraggled, and all in all, not very happy.

"We must find somewhere to shelter," she called out. "We cannot hope to continue travelling on a narrow path in weather like this!" Brando was reminded curiously of Bilbo's previous expedition over the Mountains, and shivered uneasily. He voiced his concern to Elladan, who laughed and reassured him.

"Don't worry about it, all the goblins were cleared out some time ago. There should be no real danger, none we can't protect ourselves against at any rate." Feeling better, Brando continued on, until they found a small cave.

Serin too remembering Bilbo's tale, made very sure to check the back of the cave thoroughly. Convinced there was no chance of danger, the group lit a fire, and sat down for a brief meal until the storm was over. The hobbits now had no worries whatsoever, knowing at least that their stomachs would be full.
Old 10-30-2002, 07:34 PM   #358
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Tolkien

^ ^ ^ ^ Erebor/ Lonely Mountain ^ ^ ^ ^

Stonehelm, on the top bunk, and Hringa, on the bottom bunk, could no longer ignore the sunlight pouring through the tiny porthole; it not only made the dust particles dance, but it beat in on their eyelids. Stonehelm had been surprised by how comfortable it felt under deck, buried in the small room. The room lacked the solid, heavy, secure feel of carved mountain halls, but it was surprisingly cozy.

Stonehelm jumped down onto the floor--a bit of a jump for a dwarf but nothing too great. He washed his face and hands in the small sink, dressed, roused Hringa, and walked out to pick up the others. Frain and Durgan had beaten him up and were there in the small hallway ahead of him.

The four pounded on Girion and Rubin's cabin door. C'mon you lollilagers. There's potatoes to peel. Muffled murmmers told that the Men from Dale were just rising. Crise of [i]We'll meet you topside. Come get some fresh air[/b] were met with a few choice comments. Frain and Durgan cackled.

Let's get on topside announced Stonehelm who privately wished for an opportunity to talk with Orodan and Girion about the audience with Elessar. Secretly he didn't want this river traffic to run smoothly, for such a trade route would shut Erebor out and make her goods less marketable. But he wasn't going to tell them that.

Reaching the deck, the dwarves met the elves, who had slept topside and the entire group sought out the kitchen for a hearty breakfast.

Stonehelm observed that the voyage and the various harms that had befallen them had broken down the barriers between the three groups. Good, he thought. Let's face Elessar with a strong united front. He left the kitchen, seeking out this Rira fellow. Stonehelm wanted to know how reliable the river was for transport and for logging timber. Maybe between Bram and Rira he could figure out a straight answer.

Just as Stonehelm was about to climb the stairs to the captain's cabin, a large swell rocked the ship and he was thrown against the wall, bruising his arm. Well, thought Stonehelm to himself, , it isn't as bad as being under a rockfall.

[ October 30, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 10-30-2002, 09:42 PM   #359
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
**** Harad/Umbar - Gramil ****

Gramil shook his head, smiling at the thought of the king as his booming voice disappeared down the hallway. He rubbed his shoulder where King Fuinur had heartily pounded it on his way out the door. 'As friendly as a puppy,' Gramil thought, 'And twice the trouble! No doubt Seth has his hands full in this playground.'

For so this port would seem to the untethered boistrous King, released from the daily grind of ruling his kingdom.

Of course, King Fuinur could find action in an empty field of coffee beans. And had, Gramil recalled, grateful their parents had never found them out. King Fuinur's father had been a forgiving man, indulgent with his son, prone to saying 'boys will be boys - the rascals!' ruffling Fuinur's hair. Gramil's father was more firm, and never had Gramil racked up more nights without dinner than when Fuinur visited their plantation. Trouble was, he could make the worst ideas sound like a grand adventure. Like the time Fuinur had talked him into trying out that catapult.

"It'll be just like flying! You first! Then I'll go." Fuinur had said eagerly. Fuinur had been disappointed with the lack of distance they'd achieved. Gramil hadn't even cleared the coffee fences, let alone made it to the haystack. By the time Fuinur picked Gramil off the ground and they'd pushed the coffee fences back - sort of - into place, Fuinur had a masterful plan to use a donkey to pull the catapult back further, to get a higher trajectory. But Gramil wasn't willing to give it a second go, to Fuinur's vast disappointment.

[ October 30, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 10-30-2002, 09:53 PM   #360
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

***** DALE - Jarl *****

Jarl sat in the back booth at the King's Inn drawing spirals with his finger on the dark, stained surface of the table. The wood was rough, and worn from the untold number of travellers who had sat here, faced with the same problem. A town he didn't know, no known contacts, and short on funds.

For one wild, brief moment he considered the man who sat, neatly dressed, sipping some small neat drink at the bar. There was sure to be a fat purse concealed beneath his vest, or perhaps tucked into the waistband of his pants. His fingers twitched and he rubbed his palms together in anticipation of the transaction. A small bump against the target, the quick dip, and off he'd go, leaving the pigeon a little lighter for the encounter, and none the wiser.

He caught sight of himself in the puddle of water he had carefully poured on the table. He laughed ruefully and shook his head. 'That was a long, long time ago, Jarl. Look at you. You're older, slower, and too easily recognized.' He laughed and sat back in the booth, watching the patrons come and go.

The door swung open. Letting in the last of the late afternoon sun. An imposing man, a Southron, walked in and looked slowly about the room. The sort of man who could walk into any room and command it as easily as he drew breath. 'An interesting man.' thought Jarl, as he sized him up.

The man's dark eyes fell on Jarl, and he made his way over to the table.