Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2003, 03:30 AM   #241
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

tangerine:

Love your last post. Vividly, poignantly descriptive! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

... and Aylwen Dreamsong's

most recent post deserves the same kind of praise for its easy-flowing naturalness! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Susan Delgado and piosenniel:

What is that thing hanging out in the smithy? It's one of Tolkien's own creatures ... please feel welcome to PM me for the answer! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

All:

Mega-Post Two is coming soon.

At your Service,

Gandalf the Grey

[ February 08, 2003: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 02-08-2003, 04:43 AM   #242
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

GANDALF

See my post please. Volondil has taken a whack at the Mewlips - is he successful?
Old 02-17-2003, 01:17 AM   #243
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

MOVING ON AHEAD! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Due to a combination of real life and other circumstances, I've allowed the RPG to coast the past several days.

Now, however, I am ready to get things rolling again ... currently, we're waiting for Poppy to enter the Castle through the front entrance and walk into the Great Hall to meet Maladil and present him with the sack of gold. If it comes to it, I'll take what steps may be necessary to see to it myself that this scene gets posted ... I am aware that Nardol is waiting to enter the Castle as well, but IMHO it would make more sense right now for Poppy to be the first one to take the initiative.

Meanwhile, Varda, please check your PM's.

Thanks for your patience, everyone! The action will begin again very soon.

* bows *

Gandalf the Grey
Old 02-17-2003, 03:55 PM   #244
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Nice posts!

Will respond at greater length after dinner ... quick reminder note now to point out that as it's midnight story time (actually I had figured it to be more like 10:30 pm or so, but I can go with Andreth's midnight and amend my earlier post to this discussion thread about it being just around 10:00 pm) ...

However, the important reminder note is that with Andreth in ghost form, Holly, Bird, Olo and Volondil are not going to understand all her words to them, and vice versa!

I need to step away from the computer now, will be back with more details later tonight.

Gandalf the Grey
Old 02-17-2003, 05:16 PM   #245
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Andreth is scouting for Holly. She has gone in the first room on the back hall to the left. What does she see/experience?
Old 02-18-2003, 12:18 AM   #246
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Child of the 7th Age:

Andreth finds herself in the Private Dining Room, which looks very much like so:

Though of course, the room is dark, it being the midnight hour. The Private Dining Room is the very room in which Adela died! To this day, the chair in which she sat remains pulled back at an awkward diagonal angle, and there is a smashed wine-glass adorning the stained carpet. There is a locked maple-wood door in the northwest corner of the Private Dining Room. In the middle of the Private Dining Room along the eastern wall is a similar locked door.

Gandalf the Grey
Old 02-19-2003, 05:47 PM   #247
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Aaaah...the sheer uselessness of Menelduliniel and Estelarion at this point. Sorry about their lack of aid, but the last post was to just keep them, well, alive in the RPG...I promise they will be of more use later (Menelduliniel especially, if all goes as well as I planned once I spoke to Gandalf). Sorry for my lack of real contribution at this moment! Just thought I owed you guys an apology...
Old 02-20-2003, 05:29 PM   #248
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Aylwen Dreamsong:

Have just replied to your PM.

(Have also replied to Child of the 7th Age and Mithadan.)

... * sends good greetings to the three of you! *

VanimaEdhel:

Actually, your post is quite well done! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] You've given me much to work with and build on. In part of my next post, I'm planning to address the questions and musings of Menelduliniel and Estelarion.

By following Mithrandir's lead and fleeing battle, Menelduliniel and Estelarion are indeed taking the best action ... in fact, the only action possible ... if they are ever to have a chance to lift the curse! Menelduliniel and Estelarion have already accomplished the unthinkable ... they've successfully gotten past Maladil's guards.

(Though at this point in the story, the company has not entered the front door, except for Nardol and Poppy. There's going to be an encounter at the door ... Maladil madly running outwards towards the entrance, as simultaneously some of the company madly runs inwards ..)

All:

Will definitely put up at least one post later tonight.

~~ Gandalf the Grey

[ February 20, 2003: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 02-20-2003, 11:58 PM   #249
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Gandalf,

Andreth has retrieved her book and started to follow her injured horse.

Is it possible to give me some idea in your posts as to the passage of time? I am specifically referring to time as it affects my particular character and the form she takes.

Thank you.

Sharon
Old 02-21-2003, 06:37 PM   #250
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Now that Menelduliniel and Estelarion are with Poppy, where do you want them to go? Or do you just want them to wait for someone else to catch up? I know they should be looking for the spell to lift the curse, but how should they go about it? Did you have a way in mind? Just some general questions on how to proceed before I post! I figure a general outline of how you want Menelduliniel and Estelarion to go about wandering the Castle. Thank you!
Old 02-22-2003, 11:16 AM   #251
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Mithadan:

Congratulations ... Nardol chose the best action he could have possibly chosen by firing on the Orcs! Nardol has gained great respect from Maladil, who has outdone his own men-at-arms, since Cirgon's bottle-throwing wasn't all that effective, and since Tiroedrath, Halblung, and Guilin ran out of arrows so long ago that it's been many long lifetimes of man.

Varda:

Maladil has also grown to respect Poppy Took, though he's too proud to show it. * bows *

Child of the 7th Age:

Yes, I'll be happy to do a better job of remarking on the time of day or night in my posts so that the influence on Andreth can be better gauged. Right now, it's still just shortly after midnight ... and by now, Andreth's ghostly form has become more stable ... she's currently at the peak of her abilities when it comes to clearly seeing, speaking with, and hearing the original castle ghosts. If Andreth is currently close to Whinney, for example, then she clearly sees and hears Daerohil the stable lad, and he will similarly notice Andreth as soon as he glances in her direction, or hears or speak, or something. Meanwhile, Andreth will have quite a bit of trouble communicating on a verbal level with Aislan and especially Alearindu just now.

Vanima Edhel:

Given that Gandalf has been making himself the target of Maladil's wrath for the express purpose of distracting the attention of the ghosts away from Menelduliniel, Estelarion ... your characters strongly have the idea that finding the parchment which is the deed to Laurëondo and bearing it safely out of the castle is of the most vital importance! Since your characters are Elves, I assume they can read the necessary Elvish to recognize the deed.

Now that Poppy, Menelduliniel, and Estelarion are assembled in the Great Hall, you see two staircases going up ... one staircase is in the northwest corner of the Hall, the other staircase is in the southwest corner. Also, there are two doorways, one to the north and one to the south ... each opens into a hallway, and no worries, there are no locked doors or even wooden doors ... just an opening that your characters can easily go through. Near the southwest staircase is a closed and locked door of maple-wood.

Which way do your characters want to go?

~~ Gandalf the Grey
Old 02-22-2003, 01:25 PM   #252
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

TheLadyAerowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to TheLadyAerowen
Silmaril

Alright guys, I'm back up and running for good. It was a little later than I expected...but good things come to those who wait. I hope to get a post up with Aylwen soon, so expect Alearindu to be a bit more active now [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~The Lady Aerowen

[ February 22, 2003: Message edited by: TheLadyAerowen ]
Old 02-22-2003, 03:44 PM   #253
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Quote:
Near the southwest staircase is a closed and locked door of maple-wood.
I was talking to Varda in the Chatroom about which way we should go, and we both decided that this sounded most interesting. Would looking for a key somewhere be an option?
Old 02-22-2003, 03:53 PM   #254
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

The Lady Aerowen:

Good to have you back ... welcome! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Vanima Edhel:

Good to see you teaming up and collaborating with Varda [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ... the three of you find a key in a nook under the third stair of the staircase closest to the locked maple door. You turn the key and all enter the room with no problem. Fortunately, you set off no booby traps. You discover yourselves in the Private Dining Room pictured a few posts above in my post to Child of the 7th Age ...

I'll repost the options you have from the Private Dining Room:

Quote:
The Private Dining Room is the very room in which Adela died! To this day, the chair in which she sat remains pulled back at an awkward diagonal angle, and there is a smashed wine-glass adorning the stained carpet. There is a locked maple-wood door in the northwest corner of the Private Dining Room. In the middle of the Private Dining Room along the eastern wall is a similar locked door.
NOTE: The door in the eastern wall is the one you've just come through, so your next stop is through the maple locked door in the north-west corner of the room. I need to log off the computer right now, but shall return later this evening to provide more description. Meanwhile, please feel welcome to explore the Private Dining Room if you choose.

~~ Gandalf the Grey

[ February 22, 2003: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 02-22-2003, 04:33 PM   #255
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

... Then again, my evening is starting to fill up ... better post now while I have a few spare minutes!

Vanima Edhel and Varda:

The key that you found also opens the north-west maple door. You safely enter to find yourselves in a Private Sitting Room that looks much like the one below, main difference being there's no fire blazing in the fireplace, nor lit candles in the chandelier.

Along with what you see in the picture, there is a small mahogany table with legs carven as of winding vine tendrils encircling slender tree stems. An unadorned white porcelain vase sits atop the table. It still contains, alive and freshly blooming, the last flowers Adela had ever seen. Lilacs of kingly purple, sprightly magenta, purest white. Their aroma shines out ten times stronger than what mere nature had given them.

[ February 22, 2003: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 02-22-2003, 04:55 PM   #256
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Regarding: the end of the post
The cabinet's probably nothing, but you never know. A little tension never hurt anyone anyway. And where do you get those pictures?
Old 02-23-2003, 04:13 PM   #257
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Vanima Edhel:

In the Private Dining Room, Poppy Took sees (but is too short to reach on her own) the following items on the ledge of the fireplace mantel:

Art objects made of pure solid gold: partridge, thrush, owl, and pheasant

A battered tin watch that once kept time according to Shire reckoning

A small silver apple and a small silver pear

In the Private Sitting Room, the following objects are inside the cabinet:

Sewing Basket made of entwined willow containing sewing needles, shears, thimbles, and other accessories

Candles / Gold Candleholders

Silverware including spoons and knives

Tea Set including dragon teapot and mugs

Silver platter graven with a horse

Silver goblets

... As for where I get the pictures, it's all in the search engine, my friend. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Gandalf the Grey
Old 02-23-2003, 04:18 PM   #258
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Hey everybody, I might not be able to come on for a few days. I'm having phone troubles.

[ February 23, 2003: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 02-23-2003, 05:18 PM   #259
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

I edit'ed the post to include what they see a tad, Gandalf.

Varda: I made a lot of decisions for this past post. You can make decisions and type up the next.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:32 PM   #260
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Vanima: I'll get a post up sometime tonight, but my connection's been acting a bit weird the past few days.

Edit - Ok...going up the north west staircase...what can we see now?

[ February 24, 2003: Message edited by: *Varda* ]
Old 02-24-2003, 06:14 PM   #261
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Okay, Varda. If you ever have problems, I can fill in for us.

*Waits for Gandalf...*
Old 02-24-2003, 09:16 PM   #262
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Quick note before I go to bed; the last post of mine (first one on page 10) was by both me and Dreamsong. ^^

~The Lady Aerowen
Old 02-25-2003, 12:09 AM   #263
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Susan Delgado:

Please feel welcome to post as soon as you are able, we're ready for you now, and welcome back! * bows a cheery greeting * [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Varda and Vanima Edhel:

When you reach the second floor, there is a door to the east of birchwood, unlocked, very close to the top of the staircase. There is also a door across the hall to the west, of finest mahogany wood, firmly locked and bolted shut ... careful not to set off any traps! Which door do you choose to try and enter first?

the Lady Aerowen and Aylwen Dreamsong:

Awesome collaboration going on between the two of you, and the same compliment should be paid to Varda and Vanima Edhel! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

PLEASE NOTE:

At this time, I do not want Estelarion, Menelduliniel, and Poppy meeting up with Daerohil, Aislan, and Alearindu! Thanks.

Gandalf the Grey
Old 02-27-2003, 06:30 PM   #264
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

We chose West Gandalf. I am restraining from posting until I know what will befall us on the other side of that door (or if we even find a key).
Old 02-27-2003, 10:20 PM   #265
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

VanimaEdhel:

You don't find a key to the Western door. To save time, I'll assume that for right now your characters and Poppy take the easier route and swing open the door of birch to the East ... and in about two minutes I'll send you the description of that room in a PM. Perhaps you can still get through the Western door somehow without a key ... be careful, if you try! And if you want to try, what sort of action do your characters wish to take to get through the Western door? (Please feel welcome to answer here or in a PM, whatever you prefer.)

Gandalf
Old 03-01-2003, 04:02 PM   #266
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

We're going for the Eastern door (after quick consultation with Varda). Kenelm, here we come!
Old 03-05-2003, 06:19 AM   #267
TheLadyAerowen
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

Well guys, that last post was once again from both Aylwen and I. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] And, well, today is my b-day. lol [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~The Lady Aerowen
Old 03-05-2003, 10:49 PM   #268
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Happy Birthday, Lady Aerowen! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

* bows *

Gandalf the Grey

[ March 05, 2003: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 03-05-2003, 11:50 PM   #269
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Can Andreth the ghost be heard by Calamiel?
Can Andreth the human be heard by Calimiel?
Andreth wants her book back. She also wants to converse with the girl and tell her who she is. Can she take the book back? Can she talk with her and persuade her to hand back the book?

Andreth
Old 03-06-2003, 12:11 AM   #270
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Dear Andreth:

Here are your replies --

1) Can Andreth the ghost be heard by Calamiel?

MY REPLY:

Since Calimiel has had plenty of experience being a ghost for an entire age, and on top of that needed to develop an inner sight (along the lines of osanwe kenta) to compensate for being a blind ghost, yes, Andreth the ghost can be heard by Calimiel. Calimiel will of course be more proficient at hearing / sensing / seeing the Castle ghosts with whom she's more familiar, but will still be able to communicate adequately with Andreth.

2) Can Andreth the human be heard by Calimiel?

MY REPLY:

Yes, very much so.

3) Andreth wants her book back. She also wants to converse with the girl and tell her who she is. Can she take the book back? Can she talk with her and persuade her to hand back the book?

MY REPLY:

Calimiel is right now enjoying the feel of the book under her fingers, [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] and it is her book after all ... that's what Calimiel believes to be true, anyways. If Andreth attempts to take the book back, you sense there will be a struggle, though Calimiel is unarmed and looks a bit confused / overwhelmed / disoriented. You're sure Calimiel could be easily overcome, if you were in a more solid, physical form.

Yes, Andreth can certainly hold a conversation with Calimiel to try and convince her to hand over the book.

Keeping in mind, curiosity to see just where Calimiel would want to reshelve the book might prove worthwhile.

All:

Aylwen Dreamsong, Belin Ibaimendi, Child of the 7th Age, Lady Aerowen, Mithadan, Susan Delgado, tangerine, VanimaEdhel, Varda

Awesome posting, keep up the good work! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~~ Gandalf the Grey

[ March 06, 2003: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 03-06-2003, 03:53 PM   #271
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Thank goodness for more snow. I was about ready to have a nervous breakdown. I can actually post now.

Question: How much can the Butler tell them, Gandalf if they say they are looking for the deed?

And I already wished LadyAerowen edinor meren many times in the Chat, but I'll do it again: Happy Birthday!
Old 03-07-2003, 12:14 AM   #272
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Hullo VanimaEdhel:

What's this about snow and posting? * blinks dazedly in confusion * [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

As for your Question:

How much can the Butler tell them, Gandalf if they say they are looking for the deed?

MY REPLY:

If you assure the Butler that finding the deed will set him free from the Castle, he'll be happy to help you, but won't want Maladil to find out ... and in fact will threaten you with harm should you betray him. The Butler hasn't really thought about the deed for an entire age, so he'll do his best to bustle about unobtrusively to check out possible places where it might be. He'll want to look among the papers that he got from Celumëomaryu and stashed away in a hiding place, for one thing. The Butler won't want you to know where this hiding place is, so he'll turn invisible and walk through a wall so you can't follow him while he goes to look for the papers. As for what sort of information those papers actually contain ... I can post more about that this weekend. The papers might be valuable, or then again, they might be junk ... or perhaps contain a clue. Meanwhile, you have enough to write up a post with the information I've given you?

Gandalf the Grey
Old 03-07-2003, 05:41 PM   #273
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

SPECIAL NOTE:

This RPG is desgined to have three correct solutions ... and there are now three small groups actively hunting for the deed. We are now so close to successfully reaching the goal of lifting the curse of Castle Maladil, that the first person from one of these groups that posts to take action and move the plot ahead will earn the honor (for themselves personally and for their group) of being the one(s) to find the deed! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Each group has been presented with a major clue as follows:

For GROUP A -

Aislan, Alearindu, Andreth ... the fact that Calimiel now has Andreth's book is the key to finding the deed.

For GROUP B -

Estelarion, Menelduliniel, Poppy ... the fact that the Butler is going to fetch the papers given to him by Celumëomaryu is the key to finding the deed.

For GROUP C -

Hinura acting as a free agent ... the fact that you've discovered the moon runes on the statue is the key to finding the deed.

The curse of Castle Maladil can be lifted either by using Andreth's book, the Butler's papers, or the moon runes on the statue ... First come first served ... whoever posts now from Group A, B, or C shall lead the company to victory and free the castle ghosts! (SAVE posts don't count.) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Congratulations and thank you to all of us who've come this far (ghosts and non-ghosts alike!) ... * bows *

Looking forward to a happy ending to this story, [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Gandalf the Grey
Old 03-07-2003, 06:21 PM   #274
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Group A checking in here with Andreth. She is watching where Calimiel shelves the book in a special place of honor.

Can Gandalf tell her what she's looking at? I am going to ask my partners to keep an eye on this, as I have to sign off for shabbat!

sharon
Old 03-07-2003, 06:28 PM   #275
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

sharon:

Excellently well done! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Andreth's eyes widen in astonishment as she watches Calimiel shelve the family book of Laurëondo next to an identical book ... an exact replica in every way except that this other book has a dark green cover with gold lettering. If you were to pick up the dark green Laurëondo book, you'd notice that it's survived the long years in good condition, is heavier ... and that it's locked ... there's a keyhole directly on the front cover.

Have a restful shabbat. * bows *

tangerine:

I notice you're online! Hinura can still be very much involved ... after all, where there's one keyhole, there must be ONE KEY. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Please post either tonight or tomorrow, if you want an active and highly important role in the end of the story. * bows *

~~ Gandalf the Grey
Old 03-07-2003, 06:32 PM   #276
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Thank you Gandalf.

OK, somebody better find that key! And now I really must go.

sharon
Old 03-07-2003, 07:40 PM   #277
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

How is that, Gandalf? I can type what she reads when you tell me the gist of what it should say over the weekend...
Old 03-07-2003, 08:02 PM   #278
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

VanimaEdhel:

Superb job! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

NOTE: I edited my most recent post to include a mention of your Night Lights song that you sang outside of the Castle.

And I plan to post a reply to your post as soon as I eat something ... I'm way late for dinner, but am having too much fun here!

tangerine:

Another wonderful post complete with song from you! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Thanks so much for your post ... Hinura discovering the key adds an awesome layer of rich depth to the story!

* bows *

Gandalf the Grey
Old 03-08-2003, 06:36 AM   #279
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Hm..seems that I chose an interesting night to be away from the computer...still, I pay for it with aching feet.

I'll post sometime later today, after I've caught up with what's going on.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:29 AM   #280
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Andreth is attempting to buy some time by chatting with Calamiel.

Gandalf -- Feel free to use my character as you need as I will be off the rest of the day.

sharon