The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-11-2007, 07:19 PM   #521
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Feanor of the Peredhil - Controversial and confusing, but a delight, as always. It would have been nice if you could have continued to create your unique form of chaos for a bit longer. You realise that you were killed because the 'Man-Wolves' thought you a Wolf ...
Wish I could start the game over a few days later. I could have had a brilliant time messing with the world if I hadn't been so confoundedly busy.

And I desperately wanted B88 to be a bad guy lying through his teeth.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:36 PM   #522
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
What!? Are you telling me that Mormegil had nothing to do with my death? That is unusual. . .

Was it you, Aganzir that chose me as the kill alone? I need to know, so that I can decide how I am going to act towards Mith in the future

Anyways it was a good game. . .to follow, although I mostly stuck to just reading the narrarations and skimming a few posts.

Especially good to see Fea back.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:53 AM   #523
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
I assume that Boro really did go after Nogrod on the last Night, and that's why both were killed?

Sorry don't have time to write anything of substance right now...
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:57 AM   #524
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne
Was it you, Aganzir that chose me as the kill alone? I need to know, so that I can decide how I am going to act towards Mith in the future
I don't remember exactly, but I guess yes, it was me who decided it. As far as I remember you had been in our possible kills -list, though.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:08 AM   #525
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
Mormegil - I like the way you play. Not too much in your posts, but still the point, at least that was my impression. It's more exciting than analysing too much. If what people say is right and you are bold and scary as a wolf/gifted/whatever, I look forward to it!

Durelin - You were the kill we made to stay inconspicuous, although I wanted to be more direct, but Noggie wisely kept our heads down. Very good at this, isn't he?

Aganzir - Amazing! You were so good we wanted to kill you as an innocent!

Gil-Galad - Pardon?

Volo - You were right at the end, eh? Can't have a guilty conciensce/conscience/how the heck do you spell that?

Nogrod - You really are a good player. Though I'm sure my staying low tactic must have annoyed you! I especially like the way you put little rallying messages at the end of your PM's: Stay Cool!; Carry the flag!; Let's do this! Stuff like that.

Boromir88 - Let out your inner thirst for blood?

Meneltarmacil - Curse(e) the greate misfortune thate killeth thee!

Thinlómien - As great as always.

Legate of Amon Lanc - I still can't figure how Noggie knew you were a Seer... It's as if HE had super-powers...

Isabellkya - Voting for you was the scapegoat upon which people left me aside... And good game anyways!

the guy who be short - Had me scared for a second or three. Good game!

xyzzy - Dead early eh? Yeah, that reeks.

Mithalwen - I didn't know we had a king. I thought we were an autonomous collective ... Well, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you! I mean, if I went 'round saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away! (okay, rambling now)

Feanor of the Peredhil - I like your posts in the same way I like morm's.

Rune Son of Bjarne - We got you early I'm afraid.

The Sixth Wizard - Well, I am obviously a genius at this game, if I may say so myself...

Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger--

Oh, all right. All right. All right. We'll kill him first and then have tea and biscuits.

O fair one, behold your humble servant, Sir Launcelot of Camelot. I have come to take y-- Oh, I'm terribly sorry.

There are some who call me ... Tim.

But then of course African swallows are non-migratory....
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:11 AM   #526
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Bah! The “their” referred to the “some”, ie those who would be lynched - only a proportion of those being addressed (the "you"). Perfectly good grammar! And what’s a linguistician anyway?
Hmmm. But it should have been "your" as the sentence was in the second person. If you say "their" it becomes third person, meaning you're talking to everybody except those who will die at the hands of their companions.

I think.

Intentionally nitpicking,
TGWBS

P.S. I <3 WW + U all. Brilliant game!
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:35 AM   #527
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Bah.

I can't believe Nogrod was the last wolf anyone got...

Edit:

I still don't see why everyone suddenly thought I was up to something. It doesn't matter what I do, it never has the right effect. When I'm an ordo and I behave inanely, no one cares. When I'm an ordo and I am engaged, no one cares. When I'm not an ordo and I am engaged, people think I'm up to something. When I'm not an ordo and I behave inanely, people think I'm up to something.

But I guess that wasn't the reason I died, anyway.

I can say I seriously didn't think I'd die at the hands of the wolves with three votes (right? or was it 2...) on Day 1. I think I can be quoted as telling CoD that 'the wolves are stupid if they bother killing me'. Of course, I didn't know I essentially had three chances of getting taken down in the Night.

You have no idea how p.o.ed I was. You're lucky the game took so long to end...my rage had time to subside...

Last edited by Durelin; 06-12-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:32 AM   #528
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Don't look at me. I only voted for you cos my calculator told me to.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:27 PM   #529
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The violence inherent in the system...

- Mith's eccentric Day 4 performance and her wonderful trickery, following her confession - I think that you might have survived the Day Mith, but it did look to be either you or Nogrod before you 'fessed up.

As referred to in my pre-confession post, I knew the writing was on the wall. Too many people suspected me too much - and though I had been right about Menel - and about Nogrod!!!! I felt my chances of talking my way out of it were slim even if there had been anyone to talk to! I knew you were all lurking.....

Although as one of my otherwise complimentary correspondents pointed out , I am a bit rubbish when I am not an innocent, this was only my third outing as a wolf. The first was my brief Fenris wolf outing, the second was in a small Junior game - though many of the newcomers then are outstanding players now - where we were very lucky in manyways and I was lucky that I was playing with Roa on her first werewolf outing. So I didn't have the experience to deal with the situation and with the new job taking more of my energy I didn't have the time to work out some cunning plan - even if I had the wit.

I wish I had gone after Nogrod harder when I ended up voting for TGWBS - can't think why I backed off .. I think I had just had enough of him at that point... Certainly I already felt in a corner. I should have done an Ang and sacrificed Isabell but I worried that would be too obvious and it seemed folly to lose anyone before we had to... especially since I was sure there was another pack even before Menel died. Who killed Menel was more of a puzzle....

So having gone into she-wolf "maternal guarding" mode, and defended the vulnerable cub, and so made myself vulnerable, the kills were chosen in Aganzir's interest since she had the best chance of surviving. Confessing before anyone had voted was to minimise the risk of Aganzir being seen as guilty by association - voting too early or too late. I had considered claiming to be a ranger as a reason for my "not seeming right", but Boromir's declaration put the kybosh on that.

I don't think I used trickery. Obeying "Phantom's Law" everything I said was true or potentially true - we did think that there would be a set of circumstances in which the packs would unite - possibly choosing the same kill.

However another reason for choosing to confess apart from prefering to go out with style rather than cursing like a Tourette's sufferer with frustration, was to ensure a victory for the dark side. Though no one acted on this or even noticed (apart from Boro ), I hoped that the other pack would go for Boromir and Agan would go for another. That would have (to my theory) , unless they had been very unlucky, meant that there would have been still two functioning packs the next day. I was very sorry that only Aganzir was dead the next day and suprised and presumed that the other pack had killed her guessing that she was my packmate. I still wasn't at all sure that that Boromir was telling the truth.

So apart from forgetting to use various catchphrases and kicking myself later - (so wanted to have said "Wolf dear? Me dear? No Dear, How very dare you!, You, I shouldn't be at all surprised!" to Nogrod on Day 2 but feared that it would be taken as a confession.

So we lost.... but am I bovvered ?

Oh and a linguistician is someone pickier about language than a lawyer...

Actually it is a theoretical linguist - someone who has studied linguistics - linguist is generally understood to mean a polyglot. Many linguisticians do speak other languages but their expertise is in knowing the mechanics rather than as an executant. It is a similar to the distinction between musician and musicologist.

AndTGWBS at least will appreciate this:

A Modern Linguistician

Lyrics by Frederic Cassidy, to the tune of “I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major General”

I am the very model of a Modern Linguistician —
An out-and-out Descriptivist, an Anti-historician;
I like to catch a language in an attitude synchronic:
The fact that it's impossible I only find ironic.
I have the utmost passion for the sport terminological.
My urge to name another -eme is more than biological.
I yearn to count the phoneme as some people count their riches;
I count it forward, count it back, till I don't know which which is;
I put it all in formulas — with X and Y I'm prodigal —
Because it all contributes to my purity methodical.
Indeed in all the wisdoms of the scholar and technician,
I am the very model of a Modern Linguistician.
I am the very model of a Modern Linguistician:

Just furnish me a nucleus and I'll perform a fission.
I like to cut a segment from a living speech continuum
And write it up so no one knows it's only my opinuum.
To starkest objectivity I have a moral leaning,
For what I do is meaningful though I've no use for meaning.
I'm scientist and artist too — my constructs are symmetrical,
Though what I do with languages may seem to some obstetrical.
I look upon the petty world from point of view Olympian
And think of other trades than mine as altogether shrimpian.
Indeed from every angle I'm the scholarly Patrician,
For I'm the very model of a Modern Linguistician.

I'm dedicated to my work — I'm conscious of a mission.
All language teachers hitherto have lacked my fine perception.
They think that they are scientists? The rankest self-deception!
For methods quite traditional they show a vile proclivity
Receiving my discoveries with bland insensitivity.
Sometimes they fail to comprehend the point of my experiment
And leave me laughing to myself in undisguisèd merriment.
But now I've shown ’em how the phone and how the morph are
captured,
It must be through opacity that they are enraptured.
They're all completely baffled by my lucid exposition,
For I'm the very model of a Modern Linguistician.

A sort of combination of the Seer and the Magician.
I'm simply indefatigable — never never we-o-ry
Of building up a theory on the theory of a the-o-ry.
I strive to find the unity that lies behind dichotomy
In lingoes esoteric such as Cree and Potawatomi.
I love to make a postulate of no substantiality
And rush it into print before it loses topicality.
When I must change my point of view I always do it haughtily
And beat the opposition sown in publications quarterly.
In fact, in all the universe and all of man's condition,
I am the very model of a Modern Linguistician.

OK so maybe a linguistician is someone who needs to get a life quite urgently...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 06-12-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:03 PM   #530
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
My apologies to Boro for a rather...um... fierce attack. (Actually, when I reread your posts you seemed very genuine actually, but I chose reason over feeling and stuck with my theory. I was also afraid of making a 180 degree turn in my opinions, because I thought that would just get me, an innocent, lynched in a critical point. And see what happened... )
I really don't understand what's wrong with umm... "flip-flopping". On the contrary, I'd feel much more scared with somebody always repeating the same and staying safe with it. A jump from the safe-mode is mostly a sign of an Innocent, or it has been in the games I've played in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabellkya
so technically I told the truth the entire time, and never really lied I think.
That's what I love about being Wolf, and would probably hate in being Cobbler. And don't you make a Cobbler out of me, Legate!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
I don't think I used trickery. Obeying "Phantom's Law" everything I said was true or potentially true - we did think that there would be a set of circumstances in which the packs would unite - possibly choosing the same kill.
Good law!

The talk about dropping off two Wolf teams on Day5: I don't think that was the case, ok I was away most of the Day, but I didn't feel that it was the case. Although it was Night4 with the most theories from me. I just lost hope in them the last Days and that's probably the reason I didn't survive: Too much assumption with not pointing (the obvious to me) reasons.

Night4 had a wonderful theory about two Wolf teams with three players both. A "lady team" and "gentleman team" (as it even turned out to be in the end). I thought that the Wolves could have a united victory and that made things very clear at the time (though they weren't like that as I later found out): Nogrod's and Menel's team (Nogrod being only an assumption) would have killed Rune, Legate and tgwbs. Mith's and Izzie's team would have killed Durelin, Rikae and Fea. I was 99,99% sure that Aganzir would die that Night, but it never occured (though I feard it) that she would die as a Wolf. That of course ruined my logic of catching Lommy-Wolf. I abandoned that theory because of Mith's "the others can deal with him" (Referring to killing Boro) and as it was one of the "lady team" who "killed" Boro, the logic was flawed. And it all ended up with voting Lommy, which was a fatal mistake, as at about that time I started hoping that it would be only 5 Wolves and killing Gil would have been just foolish as he was more innocent than the Innocents.

I am even more more impressed with you Wolves now that I've seen your Nightly words. I saw that Boro was special after his hints on Day2, but I never noticed anything like that about Legate!

Great game, great game... (though the rift between different levels of players made it hard, I really wish the Junior games were still up)
Old 06-12-2007, 05:41 PM   #531
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo
Great game, great game... (though the rift between different levels of players made it hard, I really wish the Junior games were still up)
As a teacher I have always believed in the method of dropping the students in to the high seas / deep waters (whatever your idiom is) and to see how they can manage themselves ashore... I think that goes with WW as well. I think fex. Xyzzy, Shasta and Isabell have learned much of this our way of playing the werewolf with their participation and I'd hope to see them all in future games getting even more involved and playing the "analytical werewolf" as someone of them (Isabell?) called it back in this game. It's so much more fun and challenging than just making random in-character posts all the game through...

Quote:
I really don't understand what's wrong with umm... "flip-flopping". On the contrary, I'd feel much more scared with somebody always repeating the same and staying safe with it. A jump from the safe-mode is mostly a sign of an Innocent, or it has been in the games I've played in.
I do agree with you here! The ones who seem to be sure about their choises are more suspicioius to me than those who make it openly "might be and might be not". The latter honestly care about the outcome - the first ones just love to make the lynch the way they see fit as they know the situation... There are exceptions though but anyhow that's my general feeling... like people who really find out the baddies!

So no rule to be taken here but consideration case by case... and that's the hard part!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:54 PM   #532
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
I just lost hope in them the last Days and that's probably the reason I didn't survive: Too much assumption with not pointing (the obvious to me) reasons.
Exactly! You should be more outspoken my friend! You have a keen eye and nice instincts! Just spell the reasons more openly and people will trust them more easily. Now you oftentimes just state the end-result of your ponderings and leave us all others in shadow of what you really meant and why!

Just pointing a finger is mainly suspicious but giving a reason for that looks much better. Remember this basic rule! (Which doesn't always work but it depends of the game - you should also be able to "sniff" the athmosphere of the village you're playing in to reach the right balance).

But you played well indeed this time - and I've heard you were marvellous the last time (I've not have time to read it through)... so just keep the track-record and get better! You have all it needs to be a great werewolfer!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:37 AM   #533
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Xyzzy, Shasta and Isabell...
Umm... I was talking about myself.

Thank you
Old 06-13-2007, 12:22 PM   #534
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh I wanted to say how much I enjoyed my death scene. Having been summarily killed in my first game, I do appreciate a good death - and I doubt I will ever again be as silver tongued.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:56 PM   #535
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

To SpM:

Re: the randomizer (to balance the game)
What did you use? Did you create some sort of programme or algorithm (wouldn't put it past you) or did you just use some sort of random number generator and lots of time?
Old 06-14-2007, 05:10 AM   #536
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Yes ...not that I know what an algorithm is ... and was I a wolf chosen by fate or the moderator?

Old 06-19-2007, 06:53 AM   #537
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGWBS
Hmmm. But it should have been "your" as the sentence was in the second person. If you say "their" it becomes third person, meaning you're talking to everybody except those who will die at the hands of their companions.
Ah, but the final part of the sentence is refereable only to a proportion of those being addressed, ie those who would die at the hands of their companions. This creates a subset of the audience, who were therefore referred to in the third person to distinguish them from the full group. Perfectly understandable, whether strictly grammatically correct or not, in my view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Oh and a linguistician is someone pickier about language than a lawyer...
... as opposed to a linguinistician, who is someone who measures pasta ...

Quote:
I don't think I used trickery. Obeying "Phantom's Law" everything I said was true or potentially true ...
But surely the words "phantom" and "trickery" are synonymous in a Werewolf context ...?

Quote:
Good law!
Although one which is not appropriate in all circumstances, for example when one is asked directly whether one is a Werewolf.

Quote:
Oh I wanted to say how much I enjoyed my death scene. Having been summarily killed in my first game, I do appreciate a good death - and I doubt I will ever again be as silver tongued.
You're welcome. It was fun writing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGWBS
Re: the randomizer (to balance the game)
What did you use? Did you create some sort of programme or algorithm (wouldn't put it past you) or did you just use some sort of random number generator and lots of time?
Er, surely you know me better than to think me capable of creating a program, let alone an algorithm. My computer programming days ended when BASIC went out of common use ...

I used the randomiser recommended by Volo in the aftermath of his game:

RANDOM.ORG
Old 06-19-2007, 06:55 AM   #538
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots Sorry, forgot to reply to this ...

Quote:
... and was I a wolf chosen by fate or the moderator?
Why, the moderator of course.

The Wolf teams were largely chosen, based on a mix of experience. I selected you and Nogrod to be the alpha/mentor Wolves for your respective teams.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:16 AM   #539
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Although one which is not appropriate in all circumstances, for example when one is asked directly whether one is a Werewolf.
Easy enough to deal with. You offer perfectly true irrelevant information that makes it look like you've answered the question.

Example:

Parent unaware that child is taking a nine hour road trip before reaching a substantially closer destination: "What time will you reach her house?"

Child planning to keep parent unaware: "It's a two and a half hour drive from here."

Same theory works for:

Lynch mob: "Are you a wolf?"

Wolf: "The problem with this question is that if you've already made up your mind, you won't believe me when I say 'no.'"
Old 06-19-2007, 12:30 PM   #540
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Why, the moderator of course.

The Wolf teams were largely chosen, based on a mix of experience. I selected you and Nogrod to be the alpha/mentor Wolves for your respective teams.
That was mean....

And had I been asked the question directly I probably would have gone the "I'm Brian of Nazareth and so's my wife route." If you say no they won't believe you, but if you say yes htey can't believe you are telling the truth. Frankly I am lousy at strategy but quite good at creating havoc......

Old 06-19-2007, 04:48 PM   #541
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
Lynch mob: "Are you a wolf?"

Wolf: "The problem with this question is that if you've already made up your mind, you won't believe me when I say 'no.'"
Astute lynch mob member: "So are you saying that you are not a Wolf?"

Wolf: "Er, yes ... no ... I mean ... Gmmph!*"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* Sound of Wolf being lynched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
That was mean....