The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2007, 01:06 AM   #81
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

It's 1:30 here. I'm writing a paper and trying to read for class tomorrow. I try to avoid late nights, because I don't have time to nap during the day. But it doesn't work very well, so here I am.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:16 PM   #82
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Mänwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mänwe
Tolkien

It seems we are all more productive late at night or early morning! Laitoste, don't we all try and avoid them! Just too damn hard to avoid completely. For once I am up late "against" my will. Revision for an exam this morning ( ) at 9:30am.

I intend to have no sleep, thus completing 16 hours of revision. Anyway, back to it, any other late posters out there on the Downs who have evolved nocturnal habits for answering the great threads I am missing in the Books fora, while I am away!?
- (Letter #124 To Sir Stanley Unwin)
Mänwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:05 AM   #83
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel
I suppose I tend to be more creative around the wee hours of the morning.
I at least really am. When there was the Great Golden Hoard game, I wrote my definitely best post a bit before 2 AM after even falling asleep of being too tired...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:01 PM   #84
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I've done my share of late nights on the Downs, especially during werewolf games. Of course, now that I have to get up at 6 AM to face a classroom of 3 yr olds, that's faded. Still, don't feel so bad if you're the only on the "Who's On-line" page. Remember, there are those of us who never come out of invisible mode.

We're there- you just won't know it until we post.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:29 PM   #85
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Funny to notice that I probably have'nt yet written to this thread as I should be the one to really call this mine...

If I don't have an early wake up call and there's something interesting going on, like RPGs or WW-games, I can hang around and participate to early morning hours (I guess I once played a heated ww-game up to 6 or 7 AM!). Happily that doesn't happen too often.

But what's much more normal is that the bedtime gets streched with an hour or two. So if I have thought that I should try to get to sleep around midnight (that's my normal rhythm), a game, an RPG post or an interesting discussion pushes that to 1.30-2 AM. That's more than commonplace.

But that's also understandable. My days are normally quite packed so the only time I can hang around here is basically the evenings or late nights...

Nice to see others share this condition.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:49 AM   #86
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well, I haven't had the chance to stay up late on the Downs for a long time now that school started...but next week I have a short break so I might consider not going to bed so soon
Old 02-25-2007, 08:53 PM   #87
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Well now that I see you as a participant in the new WW game, I should imagine you'll be trying to stay up later? I know I'll be popping in much more often and far longer now. Well both of you are participants, Nogrod, Might, I look forward to seeing you here more often.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:42 AM   #88
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well, vacation starts next week, so I might stay up later then usually, given that there are things to do here.
I'm pretty sad that the Quiz Forum isn't so active anymore...
Old 04-28-2007, 06:13 PM   #89
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thanks to my being in my father's place I'm a late nighter - it's 3am here. This is very stupid, since I don't have anything to do in here (or in livejournal) but I still don't go to sleep, even though that would be sensible considering the time and the fact that I have to go to school early the day after tomorrow. But I'm not tired at all!
Old 04-28-2007, 09:24 PM   #90
Precioussss
Wight

Precioussss has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Tonight is a late night for me, which I don't usually have. I can't sleep, so this probably won't be the last post I make around here this night. Gives me time to re-read old posts, which is what I do a lot of the time here anyway.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:54 PM   #91
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Ah, Might returns. Bring on the holidays! And I can understand how you feel Lommy, myself most of the time signing in but not actually doing anything because I am busy elsewhere even in the early hours. Which leads me onto my next point. Why don't we actually do something constructive.

We spend all this time on here, like Precioussss reading posts til late we should have a sound grasp of what there is to offer, and which threads draw our attention. Perhaps we should have a "Late Nighter's Review". So what are the best threads to visit of a late-evening-early-morning?

Whenever you find yourself stuck for posting elsewhere or you are simply up late posting, post a review of the thread that has caught your attention and why, particularly if its the thread that's causing your late night!
Old 05-04-2007, 06:50 AM   #92
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Ah, yes...the holidays.
They're gone meanwhile, back to school.
But it's a weekend and I'll be returning late home tonight, so I might consider staying up a while and posting some more here.
On the other hand, all this learning makes me more and more tired.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:32 AM   #93
FeRaL sHaDoW
Wight

FeRaL sHaDoW has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to FeRaL sHaDoW
It is 1:30 AM i dont feel like posting so ill just lurk round in the shadows
Old 05-11-2007, 11:44 PM   #94
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The coincidence is almost spooky, but I must admit that it is 1:30AM here now as well, exactly, on the button. I loaded this thread more than half an hour ago but only at this very moment have I come to it through the many threads and websites I have tabbed in my Firefox window. I too am a night-person; I find I think better at this time of night, I certainly am more creative after the clock strikes the twelve count and resets itself. I have so many memories of late-night perusal of Tolkien forums at hours that one might argue were better spent in bed, knowing nothing. Ah, that I could argue fiercely were it put to me. There is something about Tolkien, about forums, about talking with your friends online long after everyone else has gone to bed...nothing else is quite like it. A fresh breeze through the window on a warm summer's night... ahhh, the memories. I am too nostalgic a person by half, but it has its high points. There have been three major Tolkien forums that have shaped my life. One is dead, sadly dead and gone. One I now own myself; happily it is alive and well. But the Barrow-downs... Ahh, the Barrow-downs started it all. The major events of my life now can all be traced back to the Barrow-Downs. It was the year of 2001 that I met my best online friends here, and one of them created Rohan, where I have been ever since, and from where I met my first love, who inspired me to visit England, my first and only major trip. And...many other things in my life have started here at this fine former ezboard, but I am droning on, off-topic and lost in my own thoughts. See what the night can do? The night has a power such as the day cannot imagine, for the night is a dream we may all share, with waking eyes, under crescent moon...
Old 05-16-2007, 05:49 PM   #95
Elladan

I am in the same league as you.
I sleep very little, I am usually awake until just near dawn.. I like to think I am awake so late out of choice, but that would be foolish of me to believe.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:33 PM   #96
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Methinks I am in the right position to pull a Heren on this thread...

It is 4:32 AM where I am as I type, and I have a two-part, three-hour exam coming in four hours. And I only had one hour of sleep.

Ooh, look at all the numbers.

I wrote a reaction paper on MRSA and nosocomial infections for Microbio class instead of a post for the Mead Hall. That's crazy.

Maybe the fact that the Full Moon comes tonight has something to do with this.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:59 AM   #97
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Time check: 1 AM

I hate to double-post, but I just realised that the Downs is actually more effective in keeping me awake than coffee is. Not that I would know, since I don't drink, and don't intend to learn drinking, coffee.

PS. I also noticed that a good number of the posters in this thread are (was, in the case of Celuien) Biology -- Biochemistry in the case of Farael -- majors. Ironic that those who are supposed to be studying life seem to end up having less of it...

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 11-23-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:31 PM   #98
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Thumbs up

I just checked my initial posts in this thread...

Right now, I have a new job (as editor of two webzines - holla and I'll drop you a link sometime if you want to write for me, btw), and so my schedule is... ridiculous.

It's very free, and very unstructured, and I often find myself talking to someone in China while it's 4 a.m. wherever it is that I'm at.

It's a Barrow-Downs kind of schedule... The spooky, walking-dead schedule.

I'm enjoying it while it lasts.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:43 PM   #99
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Holidays make me a hopeless night owl. Not nice, considering that school starts on Monday, I'm up and awake and it's soon 5am... I bet I won't be able to recover my normal "sleeping rhythm" before the holiday ends...
Old 01-04-2008, 10:10 PM   #100
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
I know how you feel. That was me for the past four nights. Can I continue the streak?
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:41 PM   #101
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Well, I suppose I can, considering that I've still got next week off... then again, I do have to get up sorta early tomorrow to help take down some of the decorations at my church, so I probably shouldn't be here at this hour (12:41 AM my time).

Yes, I do stay up later than I should, especially over holidays... *sigh*
Old 01-06-2008, 10:37 PM   #102
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well I'm definately not going to lose this opportunity to post here on the thread.
ToDay is the first schoolday and I'm going to have to leave to school in about an hour, but since I've up so late the past few days it's kind of hard to go to bed. And I thought that the few hours would anyway only make me more tired in the morning. Plus, I thought that if I don't sleep now it will be easier for me to go to bed earlier this evening. Yeah, quite a vampire-like lifestyle...

Lol, know what you mean Lhunardawen. I mean, I'm only in the 12th grade here and we are already laughing at those that have Biology as an advanced class cause all they have to do all the time is learn.
Fortunately, I was wise enough to avoid that.
And, also I seem to be using the Downs to keep me awake right now, as I also don't drink coffee...

I'm actually disappointed that Lommy hasn't come up with this great strategy as well, would have been fun to see some other online before school.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:24 PM   #103
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hmm, I'm a Biology major as well, and I posted after Lhunardawen, so she couldn't have been referring to me. Well, what is it with us, anyhow?
Old 01-06-2008, 11:28 PM   #104
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well off to school now...see ya in about 12 hours
Old 01-06-2008, 11:28 PM   #105
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
While I'd normally never count 12:14am as late night (it starts getting 'late' around two...), I'm back at school, starting a new term in the morning. As a matter of some freak-outedness, I have to be back here (library) in seven hours and thirty-seven minutes. And then I have a handful of classes, and then I have several meetings, and then I'm expected in the studio for several hours (to work), and then maybe I'll have time to fix my computer before getting kicking on homework which won't be due 'til Wednesday but which I won't have time to work on Tuesday... And I kind of want to post on Tapestry...

I was doing work, really... Not school work, natch, since nothing's assigned 'til tomorrow at earliest, but a different job, a lot cooler. And what better quick distraction than sneaking onto the 'Downs to look around?

And what is a better way to make me feel better about knowing I'm going to start a semester running on five hours sleep tops than knowing that there are other people floating around the 'Downs with me?

Sorry guys, I'm not a science student. Double major in studio art and English. Means some semesters after classes and work I'm reading a novel a day, writing a paper about it, and then heading off for an all-nighter to get a painting done for next-day crit. No taking all the cred for whacked out schedules. I can't count the number of times I've skipped one class to do work for another one, or the number of books I've fallen asleep on top of. Or under... Note to anybody doing homework: the more horizontal you are, the less likely you are to retain what you read. Yeah...
Old 01-07-2008, 08:27 AM   #106
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Lol, know what you mean Lhunardawen. I mean, I'm only in the 12th grade here and we are already laughing at those that have Biology as an advanced class cause all they have to do all the time is learn.
Fortunately, I was wise enough to avoid that.
Good for you. But hey, learning IS fun! In moderate amounts, that is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meneltarmacil View Post
Hmm, I'm a Biology major as well, and I posted after Lhunardawen, so she couldn't have been referring to me. Well, what is it with us, anyhow?
We aren't wise enough to avoid Biology, methinks.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:24 AM   #107
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Oh yes, I am usually here very late at night, when I should be in bed if I knew what was good for me, I always regret it the next day, but night is when I finally wake up! The thing about the Barrow-Downs is that it's always "oh I'll read ONE more thred, and then I'll go to bed." As predicted the "one" thread turns into 16 and I am up untill 3:00 in the morning. Ha. But also the little post time thing on mine is a couple hours off, I don't know why, I mean I set it for my time zone, so if it looks like I posted it at 2:00 am I probably posted it at 12:00am.

By bad, it's only one hour off.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:03 PM   #108
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Well, Lauri you do seem pretty energetic at school... and when I stayed up till 2 on the Downs you fell asleep!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:15 PM   #109
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Pipe

Well, I know I'm resurrecting a thread here, but I felt it was time... especially now.

It's 5.15 AM in Germany and in one hour I have to prepare for school already.
Since I have been staying up so late the entire vacations I thought that trying my best to get to sleep today wouldn't be very useful. So instead I just stay up all night and then later today I can go early to bed and resume the school life timetable.

Anyway, hope some more late nighters out there post again, I actually enjoyed this thread.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:35 PM   #110
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

I just read this post of yours from a year ago:

Quote:
ToDay is the first schoolday and I'm going to have to leave to school in about an hour, but since I've up so late the past few days it's kind of hard to go to bed. And I thought that the few hours would anyway only make me more tired in the morning. Plus, I thought that if I don't sleep now it will be easier for me to go to bed earlier this evening. Yeah, quite a vampire-like lifestyle..

And now I read this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might
It's 5.15 AM in Germany and in one hour I have to prepare for school already.
Since I have been staying up so late the entire vacations I thought that trying my best to get to sleep today wouldn't be very useful. So instead I just stay up all night and then later today I can go early to bed and resume the school life timetable.

Gotta say, you're regular! I posted in this thread a ways back; had no idea it was so so long ago that I waxed eloquently to no one in particular. I guess I didn't use paragraphs back then...

I still stay up late, but not as late as I used to, and I wake up early now, so that if I stay up it be at the expense of sleep, not daylight. One does not truly become a day-person, who was once a night-person. *gollum, gollum*
Old 01-06-2009, 10:46 PM   #111
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Wow, and it's exactly a year ago! Talk about precision...
Then again last year it was a Monday, so this year I have the advantage of only having to go through three days on my first week.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:00 PM   #112
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Pipe

Digging deeper...

Quote:
hmmm...my plan didn't really work, and because I was used to going to bed so late I wasn't able to sleep much last night (3 hours) resulting in a not very nice first day of school...but I guess I'll eventually have to get used to it
Do you get to Downs much after school starts, or is it all time-consuming?

Me, I'm home schooled. It's HARD! Unbelievably so, at times, to get stuff done when you're the one motivating yourself. Way too easy to slack off without structure. So I can Downs any time I like, but often when I should be doing "better" things. I used to stay up late doing schoolwork because I found my mind worked best at those times. Guilt-free night-owling, I suppose.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:01 AM   #113
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

I am writing from school actually right now.

And yeah, school is now going to be fairly time comsuming since this is my last semester of highschool followed by the exams in about 3 and a half months. But I am sure I'll have enough time for Downsing...
Old 01-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #114
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Hmm... I have to admit that I definately need to place myself on this thread. In the last holiday I shifted my sleeping pattern so that I slept at 02:00 and woke up at 12:30. I have been known to stay up later on the Downs, though, but after a certain time (around 23:30) I stop posting and just lurk through old threads. And then at around 01:30 suddenly I get inspiration and post again. But usually I have to sleep after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle View Post
I always get creeped out when I'm the only one online....it feels so....lonely, somehow.
It always does...

And for this thread, I have to quote something a Downer said that I have remembered since I first read it and felt like I could relate to at the time...and still do. Thank you, Laurinquë:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
I assign reading the Downs until late at night (like right now) and thinking "Oh well, a night with only three hours of sleep won't kill me!".
I feel exactly like that!

Note: Now its only 20:00

PS. WARNING! WEREWOLF DAMAGES YOUR SLEEPING PATTERN!
Old 01-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #115
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

good to see fellow night Wights about the place! I'm sure a few of us were kept up late recently by examination revision!

Beregrond, Might, Eönwë- showing any signs of darkness induced adaptation?
Old 01-23-2009, 10:58 PM   #116
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

No, I've, erm, adjusted my habits (a bit). I'm an early bird, but a night owl at heart.

So I see the sun now! I don't see it rise, I just...see it.

Darkness-induced-adaptation? Do you mean...mutation? As in big googly eyes, antennas for lights, that sort of thing? No, haven't noticed too much of that going on... my teeth were getting pointier.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:00 AM   #117
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mänwe View Post
Beregrond, Might, Eönwë- showing any signs of darkness induced adaptation?
Other than my hands and feet becoming suckers so that I can climb up walls effortlessly, nothing really.

Edit: Yes! Another English Downer has returned!

Last edited by Eönwë; 01-24-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:02 PM   #118
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Goodness me little Lindale is one of these late-nighters too. For no reason other than my insomnia has begun to annoy me again these days.

Oh well. I'll return to the word and quote games. I don't know how the werewolf games work despite having someone explain to me twice.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #119
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindale View Post
Oh well. I'll return to the word and quote games. I don't know how the werewolf games work despite having someone explain to me twice.
Only way is to play, and then you'll know if you like it. I really didn't understand it at all till I started playing. It can be time consuming - just reading, never mind posting, but if you have time it's fun. I just started and still feel way out of place.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:59 PM   #120
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beregond View Post
Darkness-induced-adaptation? Do you mean...mutation?
Mutation is such a "dirty" word Can't see pointy teeth being an advantage :-)...best hope for a bit of Lindale's insomnia..you'll both have all the time in the world to became Werewolf experts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë
Other than my hands and feet becoming suckers so that I can climb up walls effortlessly, nothing really.
Haha thats some fine evolution right there..makes *glomping* people easier I should imagine