The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe Interesting and Strange Uses of the Film Music

I was watching a bit of BBC Sports Personality of the Year earlier (it was rubbish, Lewis Hamilton didn't win ) and they had an item on Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt. The accompanying music was Evenstar from the film soundtracks.

What a weird choice of music for that item!

I notice snippets of the Howard Shore soundtracks used all the time - very prominently in the David Dimbleby Picture Of Britain series on art.

Has anyone else noticed this? Have you spotted any other weird uses of the music?
Old 12-14-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hmmm...I unfortunately don't recall any odd use of the LotR soundtrack.

I guess the strangest thing I've heard of that sort happened back in the late 70's before cable TV (yes, my memories go back that far ).

Back then (in the olden days) TV stations in U.S. signed off for the night with a rendition of the Star Spangled Banner, and then some inspirational moment that somehow proved that America was still a god-fearing nation. Well, anyway, this certain religious moment featured a beautiful little child in a a pastoral meadow petting a little lamb. In the background was the soothing sound of an acoustic guitar, evoking a quintessential sense of peace for the scene as a profound quote from the Gospel was reverently spoken.

That was, until I suddenly realized I had heard that tune before; in fact, it was on one of my favorite albums of the time. I was amused to no end at the thought of some wise-acre sound engineer slyly editing the music for this religious moment. The tune? Black Sabbath's 'Fluff' from the 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtkmRiA5UOE

Sorry for the slight departure. I figured this was the only time I would be able to post this memorable moment before...ummm...I, like, forget it again.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Completely off topic but it's made me laugh because it reminds me of the many times I've heard tracks by The Fall being used for odd things (like car adverts and the classified football results...) and been laughing at the thought that there are legions of mad Fall fans (all Fall fans are fanatical, me included) working in ad agencies and on editing teams at the Beeb.

And back on topic, they also seem to use the film soundtracks on Countryfile quite often. If there's anything where someone is supposed to be a bit of a 'bumpkin' or a country character they always wheel out 'Concerning Hobbits'.

I'm waiting for them to be used on the footie now they've accompanied Usain Bolt...