Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-23-2004, 06:29 PM   #321
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Dark-Eye Harold Chubb

Harold's post is up. Now which one of you rascals stole my precious Sarah's necklace? I am so mad. Grrrrr..... I can't believe someone would swipe it.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:48 PM   #322
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Silly, Regin.

I put up a shorter than usual post to pass the ball to Fordim. I didn't want to go much further, because that would entail unnecessary manipulation of both Harold and Fordogrim.

Once Adelard overhears that some items are missing, he will immediately accuse Crispin of being the thief. Poor lad.

Great posting everyone.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:07 AM   #323
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

I'm so hated...

The whole party will have to work together in seeing that Crispin is really innocent!

Blessed Be,
Fëa
Old 04-26-2004, 10:11 PM   #324
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

My save is filled in....

-Regin
Old 04-27-2004, 01:05 PM   #325
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
~*~ On May 1st through May 3rd, the Green Dragon Inn thread will be closed to posting. ~*~

A special thread will be opened in the Shire to celebrate the 4th Birthday of the Barrow-Downs' site.

We're hoping you will all come to the party and enjoy yourselves there.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:39 PM   #326
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Thanks, Pio. I'm know several of you were not here last year, but we had an excellent time at the last birthday party. I suggest attending...they are a riot.

Now to business...I'm sorry I'm not able to fill my SAVE tonight as I planned. I have a paper due Thursday and it's taking a bit of time. I should be able to get it posted tomorrow afternoon however, since the post is started, just not finished.

I will not be here on Thursday. It's my daughter's birthday, so celebrations all day. She will get my full attention, so I will be unable to post. But I will have a four day weekend following, so we will get this show on the road. The end date is still set for May 8! It doesn't seem like it's been 9 weeks.

Goodnight,

~ Alak
Old 04-28-2004, 08:22 AM   #327
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Fordogrim's reply to Harold and Sarah is up -- Alak I don't know what you intend for your post, but I wonder if it might not make more sense to have it after Fordo's?

Hope you have fun at your daughter's birthday!!
Old 04-28-2004, 06:52 PM   #328
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Eye

Thanks, Fordim...I'm going a little overboard with preparations, but she's only little once.

I have posted the arrest of young Crispin Whitfoot. Arwen and Kransha, please check the post closely and let me know whether you would like anything changed. I tried to use your characters through Fredigar's eyes, but if I've overstepped let me know.

Now that this is up, it would be really easy for everyone to keep posting on the present situation. However, we must keep them on the road. Can someone accomplish this this evening or tomorrow? Anyone could post about thinking about what just happened that morning while riding down the road, or Crispin could tell us what is happening to him and how he is feeling (scared, angry, etc.) being trapped in Fredigar's wagon.

We're down to 11 days to wrap up. That's not very long.

I'll check in later this evening in case anyone has questions, then I'll see you all on Friday.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:55 PM   #329
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Ooh, party. I smell food.

alak, all is well. I admit that I've been a little absent of this thread, as mentioned in last post, but that's all coming to a close, even though only 11 days remain. I've placed up a save which will be filled (undoubtedly) within 3 hours. It should contain a lot of tempermental ranting from poor, confused Kal.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Old 04-29-2004, 05:16 PM   #330
Arestevana
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arestevana has just left Hobbiton.
I have a save up as well, to be filled within 24 hours.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:52 PM   #331
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Ok, my post is up. I admit I controlled Adelard and Fredigar a bit, so tell me, alak, if there is something you'd like me to change. I believe, for the second time, Kal has gone over the edge somewhat. I think someone should get ahold of him before ol' Kal decides to strange the life from poor, helpless, and gossipy Adelard.

Old 04-30-2004, 06:07 PM   #332
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Question Harold Chubb

Harold's post is up. I have alerted Marcho to the fact that Crispin is arrested. I suggested that we try to catch the theif. Maybe Marcho can suggest a plan to apprehend the culpit soon? Anyway Harold doesn't think that Crispin would ever steal. He's just not that kind of a Hobbit.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:51 PM   #333
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Boots Moving right along...

We are now a week farther down the road. Regin and Kransha, I have put on the ball in your hands, please take it and run.

We now have One Week. We can do this. We need to set up the thief and catch him, then we can get them to the White Downs. We need at least a day or so for last posts, and I will write up an epilogue to wrap things up. Everyone up for the challenge? I hope so.

I have finals this week, which means I won't be in class, so I should have added time to focus on the game to ensure we make it on time.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:12 PM   #334
Memory of Trees
Haunting Spirit

Location: Here! Over here!!! Behind that rock. Yes, that is I...
Memory of Trees has just left Hobbiton.
You guys, I am SO sorry!!! My internet konked out again - this time for good, I think. So I have to use my dad's office computer, which, as he is on there almost all the time, means my internet access is extremely limited. I will post as often as possible.

Alak ~ I'm going to edit my last post to include a flashback of May and Adelard, and then post like crazy as often as I can. I wanted for both May and Addy to slowly change, and maybe - just maybe - come to like each other.

I didn't realize how limited our time is.

So here's what's going on: if you don't mind, I will do the May-Adelard interaction almost entirely by myself, in flashbacks from May's perspective. You can illustrate Addy's character changes by the way he interacts with May and the other characters. Since time will be moving forward faster than usual, we're going to have to make this pretty drastic.

Another thing - I still have to resolve the conflict between May and her parents. And I'll finally be ready to talk to Fordo. And stop hating the Whitfoots.

Be ready to be flooded with tears, everyone.

I hope this works.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:11 PM   #335
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Memory, I hope everything works out. Please use Adelard however you want. I think his character would be hard to mess up.

The same goes with Fredigar. He is still considered a carry along, so use him as you need to. Just be sure read others' posts so he's not more than one place at a time.

I'm placing a SAVE up also...I didn't feel very well today, so I'll post in the morning.

~ Alak -- Forgive me for my dangling modifiers.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:09 AM   #336
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Sarah's post is up.
Fordogrim: Read my post and make sure that I didn't make Grandpa look like a grouch. Let me know if you wish for me to change it. I will.

Sarah is having a few doubts about the journey now that it is almost over. Poor Sarah all she wants is her necklace back. Please could someone just return it. She would like that very much... Thank you. (Ok you don't have to return it, but it would be nice if she could figure out where it is.)

Its hard to think that our journey is almost over. It has been fun being in a game with everyone. Perhaps in the future there will be another game with all of us in it. I will hate when it is over. Don't forget Regin that Sarah loves Henry no matter what. (LOL)
Old 05-03-2004, 10:48 AM   #337
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

My SAVE is filled, and the plan has been laid down. We will really have to work as a team to get this finished, but I know we can...we all work very well together.

Kransha - Check your PMs.

We are down to the wire...5 days.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:55 PM   #338
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Plan looks good! PLEEEEEAAAASSSEEEE save Crispin! He's really in need of a good proving Fredigar wrong.

As long as we hustle, I think- no, know!- we can do this.

~Fëa
Old 05-03-2004, 07:56 PM   #339
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

G'day...

I know I should've PMed this, but I have a request. Regin would you do me the favor of including Kalimac's response ( a reluctant 'yes') in your post for Harold? I believe you could easily cover that and move us along since we only have 5 days, and if I had to post a respose for Kal it would be up early day after tomorrow, whereas yours will be up tomorrow and leave more leway.

Ooh, so very close. How fun this has been and has yet to be.

Old 05-04-2004, 01:09 AM   #340
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thumbs up

Kransha,

I agree. OK, I sealed the agreement between the three of us (Harold, Kalimac, Marcho) and mentioned Fordo as well. Hope that is alright, but I figure we could get straight to the scenes with the kids. Can we assume the kids accept their role, and go straight into those scenes?

If edits are required let me know.

~Regin
Old 05-04-2004, 06:36 AM   #341
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Boots Last few days

Nice post, Regin. I agree we need to move directly into the scene. Now I can do a lot with Henry, but I hope Melisil and Memory will be around to help too. Fordim, I hope you'll bring Fordogrim into this...let me know what part he'll play. Will he be in the set up? I do hope he will at least take guard.

Since we have so little time, I will end this scene late Wednesday evening (tomorrow). If some of you still need to (or want to) get in on the action, I will insert a general SAVE so you may post the post here or PM either Child or myself and we'll get the post on the game thread.

Okay, that gives us the thief on Wednesday night (or sooner), then we will be bumping along through the White Downs on late Thursday or early Friday. On Thursday, we'll need reactions and something will have to be done to Garlin...let's keep that fun, so if anyone has an idea...nothing is in stone for him at this point. Okay, we arrive in the future Michel Delving on Friday, so that will be the time for final posts until late Saturday (I think Pio gives us until midnight). I will post an epilogue late Saturday. If you want something specific stated about your character, please send me a PM. Otherwise the post will be about the families as a whole (Chubbs getting land, Whitfoot continuing their prosperous business) and about the Shire and its progress.

Again, as we proceed, I will keep us moving at a good pace. I hope everyone can keep up in the next few days, but if at any time you would like something inserted in a previous time slot, we can do that, so don't hestitate to ask.

This is so exciting...
Old 05-04-2004, 11:27 AM   #342
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

My apologies to all on many fronts. First, I am sorry that it has been a while since I posted. Second, I am sorry for the length of my last post. Third, I am sorry to have worked through so much with so many characters all at once. Fourth, and finally, I am sorry to plunk such a 'weighty' post right into the middle of the current scene.

But in my defense, I am going to be totally unavailable from tomorrow morning on, so today really was the very last chance I was going to have to post and I didn't want to be an old hindrance on the game as we get so close to the end.

Let me just say how very very VERY much I've enjoyed this thread, and I look forward to RPGing with all of you again very soon!

Last edited by Fordim Hedgethistle; 05-04-2004 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:50 AM   #343
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Lovely game post, Fordim!

~*~ Pio
Old 05-04-2004, 12:06 PM   #344
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

*Fordim blushes, and then ducks his head, fearing the wrath of Alak*

Hmmmmm (says he, wondering aloud) -- is it canonical or not to state that Hobbits go to the West?????
Old 05-04-2004, 02:14 PM   #345
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bravo!

Bravo Fordim! *claps and stands* Bravo!

Wonderful, WONDERFUL post! It was very emotional and... sad, but also joyous in a sense. I'm glad that old goat has finally taken a liking to Sara and become a pleasing person. I'm sure he's very happy.

R.I.P Fordo!
~Fëa
Old 05-04-2004, 05:44 PM   #346
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Two great posts, but Harold has a problem.... Just like life, this was kind of unexpected for both Harold and Regin.

There's no way I can have Harold go through with the action without realizing what has happened to his father. Otherwise all the sadness would come at the end after we'd captured the thief, and that would pour rain down on an otherwise happy moment.

So I'm going to have Harold find his dad fallen in the woods before we start out and do a post where he mentally comes to terms with that before resolving to do his duty.

This isn't going to be an easy post to write; it will be up in the next 24 hours.

Last edited by Regin Hardhammer; 05-04-2004 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:17 PM   #347
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Oh, by Eru, excellent post, Fordim. That came very close to bringing real, tangible tears to my eyes, which is quite an achievement since I pride myself on having a heart of stainless steel mithril. I can't imagine how poor Kal is going to react, never having had that heart to heart talk with Fordo about the whole can-a-nose incident.

Well, I have a post up. Hopefully hapless Harold won't be driven mad by Fordim's addition coupled with Kalimac's seeming madness, or just ill-timed kindness. Here's hoping that Garlin Woolthistle can't take advantage of the situation *laughs nervously* Hopefully Kal's 'gift' will help the Chubb family...and maybe another little surprise later on, to get everything back on the road to a nice, fluffy, happy ending.

Old 05-04-2004, 07:32 PM   #348
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

My especial apologies to you Regin -- I do realise the difficult writing spot that I've put you in: but, my son, I'm sure you can handle it.

As I said, I shall be unable to participate for the next few days, but I should be able to look in from time to time. Give that Garlin what he deserves!
Old 05-05-2004, 08:25 PM   #349
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sniff....my post is up. Whoever goes forward with the action, you're welcome to carry me along in your next post as long as I don't get killed.

~Regin
Old 05-05-2004, 09:01 PM   #350
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White Tree

Alak,

The thief has struck. Do with him what you will!

Cami

Later edit: Having second thoughts

Upon seeing Alak's save, perhaps I gave a little too much latitude here!

Quote:
.....Garlin's humiliating punishment
I can't imagine what you've got up your sleeve!

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 05-06-2004 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:31 AM   #351
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Child, he's going to get what's coming to him.

I hoped to get to that this morning, but I have a final very shortly and an awards banquet tonight. I will in late and will try to post again. In the meantime, Crispin needs releasing. Anyone can do this (even Crispin).

I will write the scene of Garlin's punishment which will occur on the following game day.

Have fun, and Regin and Kransha, Let me know if anything needs changing as I used both of your characters.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:27 PM   #352
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Yay! I'm free!!!!!

I'll work up a post about how Crispin reacts *after* he's been released- the player the writes the Garlin punishment post can also do the Crispin releasing if they wish.

It's been fun!
~Fëa
Old 05-06-2004, 05:00 PM   #353
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

I finished my final early and had just enough time to write and post Garlin's punishment.

Regin, I only mentioned your presence briefly, and I didn't involved your family by name in the ritual because I am not sure how you wanted to handle Fordogrim's death in the situation. Let me know if you want me to add anything else about the Chubbs. I also didn't mention Marcho's knowing of Fordogrim, because of the same reason. I'll let you decide who knows and how you want that handled.

Anyway, Onward onward we go. 2 days! Next stop...the White Downs!
Old 05-07-2004, 06:29 AM   #354
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Only one day left. Almost makes me want to cry. Seriously! Sarah already misses the old goat. Well I will post for Sarah today and lets see what she has to say about the thief being caught. Hopefully she will get her necklace back.

Well it has been so fun playing with everyone. I hope that we can stay in touch. Sarah will always be remembered in my book as the hobbit that talked to the chickens.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:31 AM   #355
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alak,

I will use my school computer to do a short post today to tie up Fordo's death. I'll post it on the discussion thread, and ask you (or Child) to paste it inside your box....

Hope that's ok. It will go before your last paragraph. Then the last sentence could be revised to say....When the ritual and funeral were over (or whatever the wording was).

Hope that's ok.

`Regin
Old 05-07-2004, 06:44 AM   #356
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Regin, that's no problem at all. I was wondering how you wanted to do the funeral, and whether Fordogrim would be coming with us or not. It's interesting to think of our Fordogrim as being the first hobbit burried in the Shire. We're writing history.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:47 PM   #357
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

I'm writing up a short post for Crispin now. I'll have to PM it to you Alak or Child when it's done, because I'm going to my dad's house this weekend with unlimited PC access.

Well, it's been great everyone! I lurved playing with all of you, and I hope we can roleplay again sometime!

~Fëa
Old 05-07-2004, 02:29 PM   #358
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alak,

Could you put this above the last sentence, and just change that to read, "After the funeral"? May, I used your character. Let me know if it's a problem. I thought May might have said that.

Regin had been glad to see the necklace returned and the thief captured, but he didn't have the heart to stay longer than that. Before Marcho dealt out a just punishment to the thief, Harold went to tell Sarah and the children what had happened to their Grandpa. Together, the family walked slowly up the hill to say their final goodbyes.

Arriving at the grove, they gathered round the spot where Grandpa lay. After burying her head on her mother's shoulder, May looked up with a sad smile on her face, "It's the first time I've ever seen Grandpa not have a word to say to any of us. I shall miss him. He was as honest as they come. He said what he meant. There was no fooling around or hiding the truth." Everyone nodded. Then they sat quietly, talking and comforting each other.

News of Fordo's death spread quickly through the camp. Families made their way to the grove to pay their respects to Fordo and the Chubbs, first stopping to drop off gifts of food at the family's wagon.

Harold picked out the spot where his father would lie so that the rocks could be gathered there. It was just on the other side of the hill, and under the shade of a friendly beech. The site looked out over a rolling field. Just the sort of place for good farming. Harold reflected. My father would have liked it. Then he and Henry, along with the sturdiest Hobbits, scoured the nearby countryside to find the stones and boulders they would need to construct the barrow.

Fordo's body was laid gently in the tomb and Marcho got up to speak. He talked solemnly about Fordo: how he hadn't wanted to leave Bree, but when his family made the decision to move he came with them and did the best be could. How he'd worked hard for his family so many years, and how terribly he missed his good, sweet Prim. And now husband and wife were together again.

Then Harold got up to talk, "Marcho tells me all the land you can see around us is part of the King's grant. Today there aren't very many of us. But maybe someday, there'll be more. There may even be families living and farming on this very spot where we stand. I don't want to lose my father. Sarah and I, and the children all grieve his loss. But I think my father would agree. It's better that the first death in this new land should be an older Hobbit gently passing on rather than having a young lad bludgeoned to death in battle or skirmishing with a no-good thief."

"May our lives in the Shire be as peaceful as the end Grandpa had, and may we never forget the sacrifices that he made to help get us here. Sleep Father. Stay close to my mother, dear Prim, wherever she is. You and she are still part of our family, only separated for a while. And whether we're here or in Michel Delving, that will never change."

With that , the Hobbits made their way down the hillside to their bedrolls. Only Harold remained behind for a few moments, sitting peacefully beside the barrow.....
Old 05-07-2004, 02:49 PM   #359
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

Tolkien

Regin, you're post is lovely. Thank you for writing that up. I've inserted it as requested.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:23 PM   #360
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

The White Downs!

They have arrived! Our dear characters have set their eyes on their new home.

Please please please put final posts up before tomorrow night. Again if you want anything specific said about your character in the epilogue, PM me so I can write it up.

This has been so much fun. I've been blessed to have such a great team. Now let's go out with a bang!

Edit - Melisil, your PM box is full, so I can't message you.

Last edited by alaklondewen; 05-07-2004 at 09:31 PM.