The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2002, 02:16 PM   #1
Airerūthiel
Wight

Airerūthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Legolas and Arwen

Having very very little knowledge and not too good a memory (and only read the fellowship), how is Legolas related to Arwen? One of my friends is writing a fanfiction on lotr and I said I would ask you lot to help her
Old 10-07-2002, 02:54 PM   #2
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

to my knowledge they are not realted at all
Old 10-07-2002, 03:48 PM   #3
Ainahithiel of Mirkwood
Animated Skeleton

Ainahithiel of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

yes, J.R.R Toliken did not say anything about them being related .. but, like humans and hobbits aren't all elves related some way by blood or marrige(wait,do they even have marriges? I should post that) Like, everyone who has an European background is some how related by blood or marrige to Charlemane. SO, isn't possible that they are some how distantly related???

Lady Ainahithiel
Old 10-07-2002, 04:36 PM   #4
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It is possible that elves not be related. Unlike reality, there were a group of elves created first that awoke at Cuiviénen. In our world (whether or not you think Adam was created as the first human, use this for an analogy), it would be like 100 Adam's and 100 Eve's being created in the beginning in the Garden of Eden as opposed to 1 each.

Arwen (and probably Legolas) are only a few generations removed from those that first awoke Cuiviénen, and it is certainly conceivable that they are totally unrelated. Legolas' ancestry is traced no further back than his father, Thranduil, and his grandfather, Oropher.

Since no relation is written or even hinted at, I advise one not to infer any if they wish to stay parallel with the mythological world Tolkien created.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:00 PM   #5
Foxy_Nazgul13

Sting

There not related at all
Old 10-09-2002, 09:05 AM   #6
Airerūthiel
Wight

Airerūthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

ok all thank you very much for your help
Old 10-09-2002, 10:26 AM   #7
Anastasia
Haunting Spirit

Anastasia has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Anastasia
Pipe

They couls be in some weird obscure way...

Even Aragorn is related to Arwen...
Old 10-09-2002, 01:53 PM   #8
Armadoin
Haunting Spirit

Armadoin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Armadoin Send a message via AIM to Armadoin
Sting

How can Arwen and Aragorn be related? She is an elf and he is a man; it doesn't seem to make much sense to me... do you think you could explain? Thanks! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
"I must not fear.Fear is the mind killer. fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Armadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 04:08 PM   #9
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Aragorn and Arwen are very VERY distant cousins, Elrond's brother was Elros who was a man. The last of Elros' line is Aragorn. Elrond and Elros had the choice to what race they wanted to belong. Elrond choice the elves, Elros chose the race of men.

[ October 09, 2002: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 10-09-2002, 05:52 PM   #10
red
Spirit of Mischief

red has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Legolas's analogy. There is not a thing offensive about any part of it. In fact, it is a wonderful way to illustrate the point he is trying to get across. That is all it is - an ILLUSTRATION. Somebody is WAY too sensitive. I'll never understand why people create offense where none exists or was ever intended.

[ October 09, 2002: Message edited by: red ]
Old 10-10-2002, 09:35 AM   #11
Ransom
Wight

Ransom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ransom
Sting

Quote:
PLEASE KEEP ALL RELIGON OUT OF THE BARROW DOWNS
And all along I thought this was a discussion forum, not a strictly controlled totalitarian dialoge concerned with seeing that no one's feeling were in any way, shape, or form disturbed. The statement was entirely on topic, and intended to be used as an analogy. So what's wrong with that? People should be free to express their views on a subject, even if it includes religion. That's why there is something called free speech. I may or may not be personally offended, but that doesn't affect the person's basic right to say express their option on the subject.

Back on topic, raising moral/legal issues over Aragorn's relationship with Arwen are basically moot due to the extremely long time difference and the massive genetic flux in between.

[ October 10, 2002: Message edited by: Ransom ]
Old 10-10-2002, 09:55 AM   #12
Armadoin
Haunting Spirit

Armadoin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Armadoin Send a message via AIM to Armadoin
Silmaril

Thank you, Mattius. That explains it very well. I forgot about Elros. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
"I must not fear.Fear is the mind killer. fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Armadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 08:19 PM   #13
Eglaladiel
Haunting Spirit

Eglaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Umm...apart from both being elves they could not be any more different! legolas is the prince of Mirkwood and Arwen is from Rivendell.
Old 10-12-2002, 03:11 AM   #14
ilon
Animated Skeleton

ilon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ilon
Sting

If they were related they would have not married and together with the humans established the dominance of the human race in the last age.

Forgive me if i'm wrong, the book's not with me now and it's been long since i've read that great borrowed trilogy (wished they could be mine, i'm still saving up to buy my own).
Old 10-17-2002, 03:51 PM   #15
pherostien
Animated Skeleton

pherostien has just left Hobbiton.
I happened to find a great site for family trees. It will show you most anything you want to know.

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/

have fun!!!
Old 10-17-2002, 04:17 PM   #16
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

As I have stated before, Aragorn and Arwen are distantly related.