The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2002, 08:13 PM   #1
Eleventy1-tipsy-hobbits

Sting PJ's "Galadriel the Wraith"

This is obviously one of the most hated scenes in the movie; Galadriels radioactivity. I read alot of reactions: over-the-top pyrotechnics, un-necessary, Cate could have carried the temptation scene fine on her own. It looked cheap, cartoonish, jarring, not at all the Galadriel I depicted in my mind. They made her voice too low, too garbbled, too creepy, and so it goes on <BR>The first few viewings, yeah, it was pretty hellish. But now I find it one of my many favorite scenes. Not least because I think PJ did define that side of Galadriel that many of us tend to overlook or are not well read on; proud, wilful, powerful, someone who wanted to rule her own kingdom etc. Are these necessarily bad traits, perhapes not, but still the stuff that have caused other heros/heroines to fall.<BR>When I observe Frodo offering Galadriel the ring, she reaches out and says, "You off it to me freely ... I do not deny that my heart has greatly desire this...."<BR>Her hand trembles as she reaches out. I wonder that two things are happening here. She is striving to resist the lure of the ring, but the other thought I had, is the ring is drawing her in, and it draws her into the wraith world.<BR>In this world PJ physically exposes the conflict between the ring and Galadriel. By this I mean there are literally two entities struggling to gain power over the other. It's not just Galadriels inner turmoil. Others have used the word possession. Perhapes, I'm not sure.<BR>I thought this a physical confrontation because throught the transformation scene, there seem to be two voices echoing the same words. One voice obviously Galadriel, voicing the promise of what she will become. The other, the One Ring, PROMISING that same promise. I never got the impression that they were trying to alter her voice, but that it was a altogether, another.<BR>We have seen Galadriel as the "Lady of the Light" particularly when she meets the Fellowship. To see the contrast as not only a "Beautiful Queen", but a Queen of War and Destruction emphasing even more that power is corruptable. Even those black eyes as they look down on Frodo look, wild and souless.<BR>Some people have asked why it couldn't be done in a similar fashion to Gandalfs temptation. Gandalf didn't seek the power of the ring. Galadriels desire for it required I think something destructive to equate with her power, I thought this a great way to deliver it. <BR>There are a hundred and one way it could have been done, sure, but I enjoyed this version and I wanted to say why.<BR>I know for some of you, it will never be right Don't think evil of me, ok?<BR>I lost some of my transcript, had to do some of it again <p>[ August 17, 2002: Message edited by: Eleventy1-tipsy-hobbits ]