The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-13-2003, 12:00 AM   #1
Elvish Archer
Animated Skeleton

Elvish Archer has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Why???

I look at all these threads that have to do with the "previews", "Sneek peeks", and "Spoilers". I can't help but ask myself, why? What's the point of seeing all these ahead of time. I for one would rather wait and savour it.

He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
Elvish Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 03:01 AM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

For some people, spoilers help them adjust to the changes made in transforming the book to a movie. It's easier to swallow the absence of the 'Scouring of the Shire' or having Shelob moved to Part 3 when you have time to get used to the idea. For others, spoilers are like an appetizer - they heighten the anticipation. And those like you who want to wait so that the first impression will be fresh avoid "snacking" on spoilers in advance. To each his own! <P>Sounds like a menu...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 08:27 AM   #3
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I prefer spoilers to the real thing. It builds it up and makes you guess. It fills the waiting time, and you can piece together every spoiler revealed to try and work out where they might come into it. We have a whole thread doing that for Rotk.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:53 AM   #4
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It can be fun to learn some things about the upcoming movie, especially about the parts left out, or badly adapted, but I personally have no need of too much spoilers, for well, it can really spoil the darn thing.<BR>I think it really is a pity that pictures of Shelob were released, I would have preferred <BR>not seen any of those...<P>But concerning the soundtrack, I have absolutely no problem with the fact that some fragments have been released, because hearing those pieces of art only makes me wanna see the movie more...
Old 11-13-2003, 09:08 AM   #5
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have two reasons I find this fun.<P>1. As already mentioned, I like to know about the major changes in advance so they don't throw me. The major change mentioned recently in these threads is a good example of something I prefer to know in advance.<P>2. I personally find the creative process of making a film facinating. These films offer a unique opportunity to discuss the process of adapting a story to film because so many people have both read these books and seen these film. Rings is also a complex and challenging book to adapt to screen, leaving much to talk about.<P>H.C.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:17 AM   #6
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I personally find the creative process of making a film facinating. These films offer a unique opportunity to discuss the process of adapting a story to film because so many people have both read these books and seen these film. Rings is also a complex and challenging book to adapt to screen, leaving much to talk about.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I totally agree with you, but this is also possible after the movie has been oficially released isn't it? Because debating adaptations and left out parts is interesting but it won't change the film we are about to see. We will have to take it the way it comes, and afterwards the discussions and debates will be much more interesting then before. Just my thought.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:54 AM   #7
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

True ...<P>... I should also add that I just love guessing. I already know the basic story. If I didn't, I would be avoiding spoilers like I do for other movies.<P>Truth be told, I'm getting close to the point where I may start avoiding King spoilers. I started avoiding spoilers for the Extended Towers a week or two ago because they were getting too detailed. Likely the same thing will begin happening with King in a couple of weeks.<P>I want there to be some surprises.<P>H.C.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:58 PM   #8
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The guessing game makes finally getting to see the movie an absolutely awesome experience.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:40 PM   #9
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I kind of stay away from spoilers especially after the previews come out because I don't want the story to be spoiled for me. I do look at spoilers, however, before the previews come out so that I can "whet my appetite" as it were. And then there are the questions that must be satisfied (such as, are they going to have this or that, etc).

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 07:28 PM   #10
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I tend to promise myself "No more spoilers!" but then I end up checking out a sound clip, or a picture. It's fun, for myself, to get a tiny taste of what RotK is going to be like. Personally it makes me want to see the movie even more, and it keeps me excited about it.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 07:45 PM   #11
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

For me, spoilers never seem to spoil me. Like last year for example when there was all the discriptions of the beginning of TTT with Gandalf falling and fighting the Balrog. Even though I had heard so much about it, I really didn't have an idea about what it would look like, well actually I did, but the scene still surprised me. I have to agree that spoilers are like appitizers, they make the wait for the film more bearable. Right now though I am looking at things such as the pictures, but I am avoiding the reviews of things such as TTT EE.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:46 PM   #12
kittiegirl
Haunting Spirit

kittiegirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiegirl
Sting

It depends on what the spoiler is about for me(Yeah, how can you know what it's about if you haven't seen the movie)<BR>You don't have to click on them either, they're not just on there for you to see either.
kittiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 07:46 PM   #13
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I've always struggled with the question about whether or not I should look at trailers/spoilers before I see the movie, because I can't diside if I'd rather see it all for the 1st time in the theater or not. But in the end, I usually end up stumbling across one, & then I just decide, "Hey, I've already see one, so now it won't matter if I see the others." Not very good logic, but oh well.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 08:09 AM   #14
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

I have never been this "spoiled" in relation to a film in my life. Normally, I only look at (largely spoiler free) reviews before going to see a film. I did do some poking around on LotR websites before going to see FotR, but that was mainly to find out who was playing who and what the major characters looked like. And I didn't see anything (other than reviews and trailers) before going to see TTT.<P>But, with RotK, I have got into all the "spoilers" in a big way. I even review the ToRN News section, which is a great source of spoilers, on a regular basis. The main reason for this is my being a member of the Downs. Since I am interested in the films, I find it impossible to resist looking at (and contributing to) all the various spoiler threads here. In essence, this comes down to basic curiosity, but I also agree that it is fun to speculate about what might happen and how things might be portrayed (and who makes the "a day will come" speech ) in light of the snippets of information that we have, and to see the views of others on such things.<P>Although it is not my reason for looking for spoilers, I do agree that it does help in coming to terms with major changes without spoiling one's enjoyment of the films. For example, before seeing FotR, I was aware of Arwen's expanded role in the film and so this didn't bother me too much when I saw it. Whereas, because I hadn't looked at any spoilers before going to see TTT, I spent a large part of my first viewing of the film preoccupied with the various changes, and only really enjoyed it second time round. Mind you, there is one major issue that I have with RotK which I don't think I am going to be able fully to come to terms with (click <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=002423&p=2" TARGET=_blank>here</A> to find out which one).<P>Ultimately, however, it seems to me that the secrecy surrounding these films is such that there will be enough "surprises" kept back by New Line to ensure that we don't "know it all" before we take our seats. I had hoped that Shelob would be one of these (although it is also nice not to have to worry about whether I will like the way that she looks). But it does look like we will see very little, if anything, of the Army of the Dead and the Grey Havens before the film actually comes out.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:10 AM   #15
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

True, true, speculating is fun. I happen to be a spoiler <I>fiend</I>. Seeing things for the first time is fun, and anyway it's going to be bigger and better on the big screen.<BR>For FotR, I researched spoilers so much that nothing but Pippin's lines (and the performance of the actors) were a surprise. <BR>Spoilers are like lemon ices in fancy dinners: they serve to cleanse the pallate in between courses. <P>

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 12:08 PM   #16
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

Speculating is great fun, Elvish Archer. (I would think you'd know that more than many )<P>I stay away from certain types of spoilers, and stick mostly to images. I want to know how they are doing Shelob for instance. But of course, we'll never find out or know for sure until we see the film. <BR>I try to stay away from things that look like they'll give away the ending, 'cause that's sure to be the best part. <P>It really just depends on how you look at it.

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 02:39 PM   #17
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i like to read teh spoilers because i need to adjust to the major changes and also it's just FUN.<P>i don't like them to be too detailed though, i like them to whet my appetite. now for King i pretty much know the film storyline which suits me because i won't be horribly shocked like i was for TTT but i don't know the script, i haven't seen the acting etc.<P>spoilers don't spoil the film for me, they enrich it because i get to focus on the finer points of the film rather than trying to adapt to the wildly adapted storylines
Old 11-18-2003, 05:26 PM   #18
theaterchick

Sting

I know what you mean. One thing that gets me is when the best parts of the movie, or a plot twist, is shown in the movie trailer! Like in Scary Movie 3 (not that I've seen it) they show Michael Jackson under the cover, which completely ruined it! People who haven't read the book see characters they didn't even know existed, or evn the ending! Like in the TTT trailer they showed Gandalf speaking with Aragorn and company.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:45 PM   #19
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lady Snickerdoodle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, first of all, we already know the story (most of us, I mean) so spoilers don't really matter. Also, for the other people, they'll get quick glimpses of spoilers in trailers and sneak previews but not enough to completely put together the whole plot, unless they somehow get a pirated version of the movie. So just remember that... umm... I forgot my idea. nevermind. I'll post it later if I remember...