The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-22-2005, 10:41 AM   #1
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Should I read....?

Any of the histories of Middle Earth...By Christopher? I've read The Hobbit, LoTR, Sil and UT all multiple time except UT which I've read only once but will be starting it again soon. What I want to know is what to expect in reading it. Is it worth it? Does it really add that much and are they enjoyable to read such as the Silmarillion is?
mormegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 11:06 AM   #2
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

The History of Middle-Earth is broken down pretty well on this site, but here is a list anyway:
  • 1. The Book of Lost Tales 1
  • 2. The Book of Lost Tales 2
  • 3. The Lays of Beleriand
  • 4. The Shaping of Middle-Earth
  • 5. The Lost Road and other writings
  • 6. The Return of the Shadow*
  • 7. The Treason of Isengard*
  • 8. The War of the Ring*
  • 9. Sauron Deafeated*
  • 10. Morgoth's Ring
  • 11. The War of the Jewels
  • 12. The Peoples of Middle-Earth
* indicates there are bitas on Lord of the Rings in them. The earlier and later ones are early versions and such of the Silmarillion tales.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 11:21 AM   #3
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Snowdog, Don’t forget The History of Middle Earth 13: Index

The History of Middle Earth basically offers an insight into how the History of Middle Earth... hence the title. Its mostly alternate stories, poetry and how Christopher compiled it from all the different manuscripts that John Ronald left behind.
It did help me increase my enjoyment of the series, as I happen to like to know why certain things were placed where they were.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:34 AM   #4
Snowdog

Tolkien History of Middle Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba
Snowdog, Don’t forget The History of Middle Earth 13: Index

The History of Middle Earth basically offers an insight into how the History of Middle Earth... hence the title. Its mostly alternate stories, poetry and how Christopher compiled it from all the different manuscripts that John Ronald left behind.
It did help me increase my enjoyment of the series, as I happen to like to know why certain things were placed where they were.
of course.. the index.
I have to say I started in on Lost Tales 1 and would doze, so never got far. I adid read the Lays, and some bits and pieces of others, but I find them to be more of a reference compilation than actual reading material.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:35 AM   #5
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
That was helpful, thank you. However I was also wondering if you enjoy reading them?

oops I was reading the site and came back and didn't refresh to see the new posts...anyone else enjoy reading it or dislike it and why?
mormegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 11:43 AM   #6
Snowdog

Pipe

Like I said, they were basicly like reading an encyclopedia to me. I'm not much for repeated alternate and early versions of the same stories. I did like reading parts of #10 & #12, but as far as a 'storybook reading' like The Lord of the Rings, they weren't that enjoyable to me.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:31 PM   #7
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Volumes 6 to 9 will give you many alternate versions of LotR, and if you're interested in the writing process yourself, then they are also interesting in that respect as they give a tremendous insight into the process of creating a book. Volumes 10 and 12 are favourites with me, as they include some of the stranger stuff, such as about Elvish reincarnation and marriage customs, and abandoned stories, which are fascinating to read.

If you have a look on Amazon, then you should be able to see a fairly good synopsis of what is in each book, but you can't beat browsing them in the bookshop, or even the library if you're lucky enough to have a branch which stocks them (like I did).

Did I enjoy them? Of course, as they have a load more Tolkien stuff in them! But don't expect anything like the narrative found in LotR and The Hobbit. If you've read Unfinished Tales then you'll probably enjoy them, but if daunted I always say choose the ones which interest you most (at the risk of not understanding all the references straight away).