The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2003, 06:56 PM   #1
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien That one little secret

I'm not sure if there was one in FOTR for I did not know about LOTR before the movie came out, but I do know one thing. Before TTT came out, New Line did whatever they could to keep people from seeing what Treebeard looked like. I remember seeing one picture of him on this site, but it was an illegal picture and New Line took it off quickly. <P>Now that it has grown closer to the premiere of ROTK, I thought it would be Shelob that they would hide from the viewers, but I was wrong. One picture that I have not yet found is any clue towards the Paths of the Dead. Do you think this is the one little secret thing that they will make the fans wait for? If not, does anyone have any pictures from it?
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 08:30 PM   #2
The Ninth Valar
Pile O'Bones

The Ninth Valar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

We've seen the entrance to the Paths of the Dead, but I don't know if we see the interior. We haven't seen a final shot of the Mouth of Sauron and only recently saw the Witch-King. We don't know if Sauron will make a sort of physical appearance at the black gate (there was a piece of art that had a shadow of Sauron behind his army, a sort of looming thing on the horizon that screamed at the destruction of the Ring). What else haven't we seen? Hm...Cirith Ungol? Have we seen that?<P>They still have secrets kept from us, things we'll have to wait another month and change to see.<P>BTW: Shelob had been seen in full in toy form earlier this year, so perhaps they felt it not a problem to show her off a little more and not keep her secret, since she wasn't anyway. A big spider - how else can that look but what we've seen? Treebeard's look varies depending on the artist, I believe, so it was more of a secret with how they'd decide to realize him.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:50 PM   #3
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

We've got a fairly good look-see at Shelob in the RotK trailer (not the Matrix III one, the one on <A HREF="http://www.lordoftherings.net)." TARGET=_blank>www.lordoftherings.net).</A> It just really depends on the level of intricacy of the character. It would fairly ruin the surprise of the movie if we knew what all the characters looked like. It's always part of the effect when you don't know what to expect.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 09:48 PM   #4
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I thought it would be Shelob that they would hide from the viewers <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes I did too, Eruwen. And I am a tad disppointed that Shelob has already made her appearance. Although not disappointed at how she looks.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> We haven't seen a final shot of the Mouth of Sauron <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>There is a picture of Bruce Spence in make-up, although not in action. It seems from the latest rumours that Sauron will not appear at the Balck Gate, but perhaps they are trying to keep us guessing by keeping the Mouth largely under wraps.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Cirith Ungol? Have we seen that? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Obliquely, as Frodo runs towards it (presumaby as Shelob emerges behind him). But we haven't seen the Watchers.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> One picture that I have not yet found is any clue towards the Paths of the Dead. Do you think this is the one little secret thing that they will make the fans wait for? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Absolutely, Eruwen. We have seen pictures of Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli within, and either side of, the Paths. But the Army of the Dead has been conspicuous in its absence. Seems to me that this is the moment that they are saving for the film (or at least the very last trailer before it is released).
Old 11-07-2003, 10:01 PM   #5
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

I can see why. I, personally, want to be as scared of the Army of the Dead as the Corsairs of Umbar were (well, not that much, but fairly close). Seeing the Army beforehand would really dim that fear, and would detract from the very idea of the Army itself.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:52 AM   #6
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

No that's an image to treasure: hordes of cinema-goers hurling themselves out of their seats and tearing away madly towards the doors in fear, except for the projectionist who is chained to his post.

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 02:14 PM   #7
Eruwen

Tolkien

And also I just remembered something else they are hiding...the Grey Havens of course. They are hiding everything beyond when the Hobbits return for home. I found one picture before of the four Hobbits as they stand at the edge of Hobbiton, and I still have it on one site, but here is what it said on theonering.net---<A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/view/8117" TARGET=_blank>click.</A><P>No other pictures have been shown of anything near the end---oh, lol, wait. There are some of Sam and Elanor, but none are clear on when it is, and also they are close up shots that don't give away any events.
Old 11-08-2003, 02:39 PM   #8
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Oh what a mental image! I treasure naked fear! (but then again, I treasure most naked things )<P>TORn has taken down the picture, Eruwen, at the request of the filmmakers. Unless you want to break a few more hearts (mine is ok, it's been broken before), I'd suggest that you edit your post to get rid of the link.
Old 11-08-2003, 02:49 PM   #9
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

I agree that it seems likely that the big secrets this time around will be the Army of the Dead, The Grey Havens, and perhaps the Silent Watchers (I expect to be <B>very</B> scared by them, they're already one of the things in the book which scares me the most), and the Mouth of Sauron. Hopefully they'll keep all of these hidden until the day, but we shall see. Now I'm wondering what their Big Exicitng Action Scene Clip used on the promotional TV specials will be. Is there a thread speculating on that?

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 02:54 PM   #10
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

I'll probably be quaking in my seat at the very end, during all the Shelob, Cirith Ungol, and inside Mordor scenes. They're going to be so wonderful!
Old 11-08-2003, 04:01 PM   #11
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Tolkien

We'll all be so overblown we'll get out shaking and sweating and dazed.

Old 11-08-2003, 08:20 PM   #12
Eruwen

Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>TORn has taken down the picture, Eruwen, at the request of the filmmakers. Unless you want to break a few more hearts (mine is ok, it's been broken before), I'd suggest that you edit your post to get rid of the link.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I know that they have taken it down, Finwe. That's why I put the link up. But if you want to see the actual picture, I know that warofthering.net still has it up. You can find it <A HREF="http://www.warofthering.net/photos/rotkmiscellaneous/images/fliphobbitwarrior.jpg" TARGET=_blank>here.</A>
Old 11-09-2003, 01:57 AM   #13
The Ninth Valar
Pile O'Bones

The Ninth Valar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was just looking at the Visual Companion and the Picture book for RotK and we see Cirith Ungol a few times (a run down tower, perhaps impressive when the Gondorians manned it, butnow ramshackle). No secret there.<P>Paths of the Dead/Dead Army still remain a mystery, as does a full movie shot of the Mouth of Sauron. Strangely enough, unless I looked through her, I didn't see any pictures of Shelob in the either book. No Grey Havens either (I think that's our big secret, or the final reveal).
Old 11-09-2003, 03:03 AM   #14
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Well in the ROTK video game, if it is any clue.<P>*possible spoilers*<P>The ghosts/spectors/dead men that they have us fighting in the Paths of the dead look like the Ringwraiths when they are in the wraith world (pale, misty, floating). They also have us fight the King of the Dead (which I think all of this is rather incorrect bookwise), and he looks like the Ringwraiths in the wraith world, except he is in color and he kind of looks like a very old samurai warrior. But he floats, and we have to defeat him and then the mountain collapses, and we have to run (really fast I might say) to escape. <P>I hope the film does not come out this way though, because in the game it doesn't even seem like we go to the Paths of the Dead to get the Dead Army, it just seems like we go there as another test of Aragorns ability to rule.<P>*Another possible spolier*<P>Additionally you also have to fight Shelob, so we get a very good look at her. She comes at the very end of the second level for Frodo and Sam. She is very fast (there is this one part where she just runs around, and then she climbs on the walls and basiclally leaps crushing poor Sam), larger than Sam, but not too large. We do not get much detail in this part though because she is a poor graphic in the video compared to the one that will hopefully be used in the film. They also completely skip the part where Sam says goodbye to Frodo. They have Sam basically hide behind a rock and then Gorbag and Shagrat drag poor Frodo away
Old 11-09-2003, 11:29 AM   #15
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> They also completely skip the part where Sam says goodbye to Frodo. They have Sam basically hide behind a rock and then Gorbag and Shagrat drag poor Frodo away. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, at least (or I'm hoping) that won't happen in the film! There is a RotK Teaser Poster on <A HREF="http://www.lordoftherings.net" TARGET=_blank>the official site</A>, and it shows Sam holding Frodo (who looks quite dead) in a possible cavelike setting. <P>And I want to get out of that theater after seeing RotK saying "Oh my God!!" over and over and wiping my eyes.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 01:45 PM   #16
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> But the Army of the Dead has been conspicuous in its absence. Seems to me that this is the moment that they are saving for the film (or at least the very last trailer before it is released).<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Or, they may just not include it. Has there been any <i>definite</i> confirmation that tAotD will be in RotK?<BR>
Old 11-09-2003, 03:33 PM   #17
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Question

Well, since the entrance to the Paths of the Dead is in the trailer, and it has most definately been confirmed that there will be a Paths of the Dead, it would stand to reason that the Army of the Dead would be there too.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 04:24 PM   #18
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Well Horse-Maiden the reason that they skip over it in the game is that they don't want to give away major spoilers. This game is already spoling me enough! And besides with the way the filmmakers have made the last few films they would never miss a moment to tug at our heartstrings
Old 11-09-2003, 05:45 PM   #19
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

I'd laugh if Aragorn found the palantír in the Paths of the Dead instead of the Deadmen.