The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 03:36 AM   #1
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
The most Important role in the movies...

I have noticed that on this forum there are hundreds of threads on the actors, but none on the one most important thing in the movies....the land in which the films were made; Aotearoa New Zealand!!!!!<P>As a thought it seemed like a good one but does anyone on the 'Downs have any questions or want to find out about New Zealand because I and, I am sure, some of the other Kiwis on the site would love to extoll the virtues of our Home Country!!! <P> <P>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<P>Ahak oa hi iti, he Pounamu!!!
Old 06-09-2003, 02:09 PM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Where was Lothlorien filmed? I would like to set up an elven commune in the forest. And if I cannot use that forest, can you please tell me of a similar location or direct me to a website? I just need a small patch of forest/land, preferably near a fresh-water stream, where I can live. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:35 PM   #3
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wasn't Lothlorien mostly filmed with one of those bigature thingies, and then they were like digitized (is that a word) in, or someting? I dunno.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:40 PM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

Great. The list of 'live' locations grows ever thinner. So much for realism...
Old 06-09-2003, 07:46 PM   #5
Duncariel
Wight

Sting

Uhhh, sorry. I think the beginning, the part in the woods was filmed on location, if that was what you were thinking of.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:47 PM   #6
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

oh, thats ok then. thanks
Old 06-09-2003, 08:18 PM   #7
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I know the scene where Galadriel bids the fellowship farewell was filmed on location, but the rest of Lorien was not real. It was filmed on a soundstage when the actors were needed, and the wide shots were filmed on the bigatures and then digital charaters were added.<P>I will ask a question to all of the Kiwi's here<BR>Have any of you actually been to the locations where the films were filmed? And if where?<P>Oh...<BR>And are the islands really as big as they seem to be? Because while watching the extended edition they talk about having to travel great distances, and how difficult that was. So New Zealand seems like a really big place.<p>[ June 09, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 06-09-2003, 10:11 PM   #8
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Meela, the Forest is mostly real, they just added in 6 fake tree trunks. I'll find out where it is as soon as I can.<P>Gorwingel-Get out a map and look at Australia. There are two Islands down the bottom of Aussie and thats Aotearoa New Zealand. It doesn't look too big, but when you're in a Car and its about 25 degrees (C) outside and you've been driving for 8 hours it most definatly seems huge!!!!<P>I think Peter was frustrated about the air currents over some of the places he travelled to. That can make a trip really long...especially when your in a Helicopter!!!!!!!
Old 06-09-2003, 10:42 PM   #9
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Much respect to the kiwis! <P>Yes, Meela, i will join your elven commune! great idea!

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 06-09-2003, 11:26 PM   #10
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

Location: Wellington, New Zealand (Middle-Earth Baby Yeah!!!)
Frodo 007 has just left Hobbiton.
oh yay!finally, i was waiting for someone to open a thread like this!thanks Morgul Queen im from New Zealand aswell, so you guys can ask me questions if ya want and im sure i can answer nearly all of them <BR>ive been to Rivendell a.k.a Kaitoke Regional Park which is located just outside of Wellington, its really beautiful and there are signs so you know where everything was filmed!ive been to where Frodo said "Get Off The Road" and after that where they hid and were chased by the Ringwraiths, thats all located on Mt.Victoria, which is in Wellington!also, at the end of the year im going to Matamata to take the Hobbiton Tour ive actually been to nearly all of the regions where they filmed, just not the exact location coz most of 'em are private and in the middle of nowhere! <p>[ June 10, 2003: Message edited by: Frodo 007 ]
Old 06-10-2003, 12:39 AM   #11
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

I totally agree Frodo, But I guess I got sick of waiting first, huh?!!!!<P>Slightly off Topic...Did you see that game between the Maori ABs and the Poms!!!!<BR>Absolutly devestated, I was!!!!!<P>oh....and Meela, count me in too
Old 06-10-2003, 12:42 AM   #12
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

Eye

no i didn't see the game!!!what was the score???stupid poms...lol ooooooo whatever it is Meela is making, i wanna join!!!
Old 06-10-2003, 09:56 AM   #13
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

What I hope to create in the future is a community based on that of the elves of Middle Earth. It would be 30/40 people maybe, living in almost-solitude (we can't cut ourselves off completely in case of emergency and new movies *pokes PJ and tells him to hurry up with The Hobbit*) in the style of the elves, ie. dressing as elves, creating elven goods such as rope and lembas and weapons, and being entirely self-sufficient if we can. It would be built by the people of the commune from natural materials/nearby trees, and would be in the style of both Lorien and Rivendell.<P>It is so far only an idea, and may not even work out at all. I would like to think it could work, though. If I ever get anywhere with it, I'll set up a website- sort of a mini commune to get us into the spirit and plan it all.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:30 PM   #14
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

oh my god that is one of the best ideas i have ever heard!!! do u know how awesome that would be???can i please join???where would this be built???
Old 06-10-2003, 06:40 PM   #15
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

I want to build it in New Zealand, hence the question about the Lorien location. And you can keep it in mind, and if one day you really want to join, then sure you can
Old 06-10-2003, 06:45 PM   #16
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

oh yay!!!that means i won't even have to travel lots to get there!!! be sure to let me know how it goes, ok???
Old 06-10-2003, 06:46 PM   #17
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

I will I'll start a thread if I ever get anywhere
Old 06-10-2003, 07:12 PM   #18
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

oh kool, now what are we ment to be talking about again???
Old 06-10-2003, 07:15 PM   #19
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

*giggles*<P>Good point... um... New Zealand! Any questions about it and the film locations?
Old 06-10-2003, 07:19 PM   #20
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

oh that's right, well i have a LOTR Location Guide Book, so i feel no need to ask any questions about my own country!!!
Old 06-11-2003, 03:48 AM   #21
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

I am totally in Meela...but...uh...no-one is at odds with my little poi clacking habit that I've picked up in the last few weeks are they???!!!!!<BR>Can we grow Kumara?????
Old 06-11-2003, 04:10 AM   #22
Arwen_Evenstar
Wight

Arwen_Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Oh my god, I would so be there, Meela! <BR>But, I hate to bust your bubble there guys, but unless we actually <I>owned</I> the land, we would have to ask for council permission to cut down trees and build Talans, which they probobly won't approve... Bummer, hey .<BR>But I have thought about this idea a few times myself, and I think its great!!! If you ever get it going, let me know, Id LOVE to be apart of an elven community(might have to lose a few pounds to get into my elven dress, though! )! Are there any already existent ones, just out of curiosity? <BR>~nat~<BR>
Old 06-11-2003, 04:46 AM   #23
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

*laughs at the thought that only kiwis and aussies would know what a pom is*<P>lol... we played Ireland.. u guys gonna watch the world cup?...<P>Back on topic.. I loved the fields outside Moria.. where was that it looks cool. I want to play in the rock pools!

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 06-11-2003, 06:51 AM   #24
Mordor_Queen
Haunting Spirit

Mordor_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

where did they film rivendell?
Old 06-11-2003, 08:22 AM   #25
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> *laughs at the thought that only kiwis and aussies would know what a pom is* <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I know and I'm neither <P>Yeh, anyone who wants to join in has to put in a share towards the $80,000 or however much it is... actually I think its a lot less, as we only need a small section of land. But then, it is forest. I'm still looking into it. And I don't know of any existing communes in the style of this one. I only heard of a hippy commune where a bunch of families live in the same large building. Kinda dull.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:13 PM   #26
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Rivendell was filmed in Kaitoke Regional Park, i've been there and it's so beautiful!<BR>ofcourse im gonna watch the world cup!geez, what do u take me for, a kiwi who dosn't like Rugby?yeh right! i can't wait till we have our own Lothlorien...
Old 06-11-2003, 09:40 PM   #27
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

World Cup...what Kiwi doesn't....although...Its nowhere near as exciting as Tri nations.<BR>Did you guys see that South African dude last year who scored a tri, did about 20 flips and then was told it had been dis allowed because the ref had blown the whistle!!!!<P>Oh, and its not like we'll be cutting down trees or anything. It will be an ELVEN commune.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:10 AM   #28
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

Sting

no, i didn't see that!man that musta sucked for him though!why would we want to cut down trees?that would totally destroy the wholw place, we don't wanna do that!
Old 06-12-2003, 03:15 AM   #29
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Exactly my point!!!<BR>The SA dude was so funny because we were leading by about 4 points at the time and he obviously didn't hear the whistle though he must have wondered why the AB's weren't stopping him...opps
Old 06-12-2003, 03:45 AM   #30
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

Shield

haha that woulda been really funny to watch!!!stupid Southerners... i bet the AB's were secretly laughing at him lol
Old 06-12-2003, 12:51 PM   #31
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

Sorry, not cutting down trees. I was just thinking of self-sufficiency for a moment. We'll be using entirely natural/recycled/environmentally friendly, etc. resources.<BR>I doodled a mini map of the site earlier (an imaginary site, at least). All the flets will be built around the trees, using them as support, and joined by rope bridges. There will also be stairs for anyone who doesnt want to face the rickety planks of doom. There will also be a play area , a campfire/entertainment (as in sit around and sing and tell stories while toasting marshmallows) area, and all the living area flets, and store rooms and work areas, and... stuff. All sorts of wonderful things!
Old 06-12-2003, 09:29 PM   #32
Duncariel
Wight

Sting

An Elvish Commune? Sweet. Count me in. <P>If ya lived <I>in</I> the trees, then you wouldn't have ta cut 'em down. Cutting down trees in Lorien seems to me to be a baaaad idea.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:02 AM   #33
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

I just want to wear the dresses

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 06-13-2003, 01:47 AM   #34
Arwen_Evenstar
Wight

Arwen_Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey!<BR>How do we build flets without wood? Unless we do what that guy did...he was from numenor...his wife didnt want him chopping down trees for ships, so everytime he chopped some down, he planted some more. Whats his name? Anyone know?<BR>And, WOW! Thats a hella lotta moooney!!! How much would we have to pay? Id empty my whole account to be part of this!!! <BR>And about moria, i think that was a flooded carpark....<BR>~nat~<P>BTW: Everdawn, the blues have one this battle....and, lets face it, there gonna win the rest too!!! GO THE BLUES!!!<BR> <p>[ June 13, 2003: Message edited by: Arwen_Evenstar ]
Old 06-13-2003, 04:05 AM   #35
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

Sting

that's quite funny coz here in NZ we have a team called The Blues aswell, they are from Auckland so actually it's The Auckland Blues but we just call 'em The Blues for short!!!yeh and i know your talking about the aussie team... hey omg i can't wait to watch the AB's game against England on Saturday!!!are u gonna watch it Morgul Queen???lol ofcourse you are and were gonna kick their *** !!!hey by the way what do ya think of the new AB's suad anywayz???oh well, back to the topic oh my god that sounds so kool what you have planned for us Meela!!! i sooooooo can't wait!!!can you like scan the plan you drew and post it here so we can all see it???
Old 06-13-2003, 05:21 AM   #36
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

When I can work out how to set up a website, I will put everything on there
Old 06-13-2003, 04:02 PM   #37
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Its the ALL BLACKS!! of course I'm watching!!!!! the only All Blacks game I won't watch is it they played The Maori Ab's because that would most likely kill me <P>Arwen_Evenstar...thats what Lumber Yards are for
Old 06-13-2003, 05:58 PM   #38
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

but Morgul Queen, if they were to play each other, who would you go for???<BR>oh ok, that's a good idea about the website Meela!!!
Old 06-13-2003, 07:10 PM   #39
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

*sobs* I don't know!!!!!!!!!<P>Probably the AB's, the Maori ones kind of suck... DON"T KILL ME!!!!!!!!
Old 06-14-2003, 02:15 AM   #40
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

The NZ Maori's don't sux, the AB's are just better!!! WERE GONNA KICK THE POM'S *** TONIGHT!!!!!!!!