The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
Dakêsîntrah
Animated Skeleton

Dakêsîntrah has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Dakêsîntrah
Narya Galadriel in "The Hobbit?"

Apparently Cate Blanchett is already set to reprise her role as Galadriel, albeit she will make her appearance in "The Hobbit."

It's been awhile since I've read the Hobbit, and I don't remember Galadriel in the narrative.

Any thoughts?
Dakêsîntrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Galadriel makes no appearance in the book The Hobbit, and I fail to see how the character would make any significant contribution to the story. If Blanchett is in it, I would guess they'll likely switch some of the events taking place at Rivendell to Lórien. Why? Who knows, except to try and do more to tie the film together with LOTR. Then again, the Ring was supposed to be the factor that accomplished that, but maybe that's just not subtle enough for Del Toro.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
If they're doing White Council scenes, then they could have Galadriel, or perhaps they'll put her in Rivendell for some reason.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
The White Council would seem more sensible, even though what happened there really had no direct effect on Bilbo's adventure, save to deprive Thorin and Co. of Gandalf's guidance for a time.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:11 AM   #5
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Goodness me, Galadriel and Aragorn and Legolas in the Hobbit movie. Each getting more ridiculous than the rest. But if they're gonna do the White Council, perhaps Celeborn and Saruman should be there as well?

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:19 AM   #6
Sarumian
Wight

Sarumian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White-Hand

I think it was in other threads and some interviews that there will be two movies: one based on Hobbit and another telling the story of the White Council's attack on Dol Gudur and some other events which had happened between Bilbo's return and the War of the Rings. Apparently they need the Wise to be involved.
Sarumian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Having Blanchett return as Galadriel makes more sense to me than having Mortensen return as Aragorn.

As others have stated she'll probably appear in White Council scenes, which is probably a good assumption. What purpose would it serve for Thorin's company to travel all the way to Lorien before heading to the Lonely Mountain? Being in White Council scenes is really the only logical place to put her.

Anyway, I'm curious to find the article that says she's returning. Dakêsîntrah, do you still have a link or a source for it?
Old 01-02-2010, 10:17 AM   #8
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I have no idea how reliable this site is... but apparently (from the other articles in the site), Sir Christopher Lee apparently doesn't want to go back as Saruman. Not that that's utterly surprising...

Legal Madness.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #9
Dakêsîntrah
Animated Skeleton

Dakêsîntrah has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Dakêsîntrah
Christopher would still like to do something for Tolkien before he passes. Perhaps voice the dragon Smaug?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qGFbBNnodw
Dakêsîntrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #10
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

That'd really be weird, Dakêsîntrah, as the moviemakers of Hobbit want to closely tie Hobbit with LotR. That's about the point of casting Hugo Weaving as Elrond, Sir Ian McKellen as Gandalf, and Cate Blanchett as Galadriel. If LotR-Saruman would be Smaug in the Hobbit, that wouldn't do well for their agenda.

And I think Sir Lee was, well, unhappy with his scenes cut from the RotK movie, as discussed here.

Legal Madness.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:05 AM   #11
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I think the idea of a link movie has been dropped and it is going to be Hobbit in two parts (I am not sure this will work but I guess they think it will make them more money and that is in short supply atm) . Unless they decide to sub a Lorien interlude (which doens't tie with the established hostility between silvan elves and dwarves) for the Beorn sequence which doesn't really fit the movie-verse already created, it will have to be White Council for Galadriel and that would surely include Saruman too.

I think I read that Sir Christopher is not up to returning to NZ but since this is away from the main plot I don't see why the White Council could not be filmed in the UK - Blanchett and Weaving do loads of stuff here anyway.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:25 AM   #12
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Galadriel will be in White Council scenes. Yes, that will be the added fan-fic aspect of the two-film Hobbit extravaganza. You didn't think Peter Jackson would allow a simple retelling of the linear tale, did you?
Old 01-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #13
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Pipe

It wouldn't be all that much of a stretch (certainly not for
PJ and friends) to have Galadriel at the White Council and at
the siege of Dol Guldur. More screen time for Gandalf, a
big battle scene, and not such a long gap of Gandalf in the
two hobbit movies. (Splice in seperately the White Council and
Dol Guldur, perhaps when Bilbo battles the giant spiders and
when he helps the dwarves escape from Legolas's daddy).

Now what elf might be in that drinking scene with the butler?

Last edited by Tuor in Gondolin; 01-04-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Tuor in Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:16 AM   #14
Erendis
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Imloth Melui,with Yoreth's sister...Just finished the Panadol stock.
Erendis has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Erendis Send a message via Skype™ to Erendis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
Now what elf might be in that drinking scene with the butler?
May I say?

Well,both Legolas and Galadriel are not that much of an irrartional comeback,indeed.But Aragorn...perhaps as a young teen in Rivendel and nothing more.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:26 PM   #15
Joneswilliamsc
Newly Deceased

Joneswilliamsc is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Well according to me it is really a very quite amusing that Sir Ian McKellen was on board from the very start. His role of Gandalf and all that goes it is very impressive. The looks of it is forced his way in with staff in hand.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:56 AM   #16
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindale View Post
Goodness me, Galadriel and Aragorn and Legolas in the Hobbit movie. Each getting more ridiculous than the rest. But if they're gonna do the White Council, perhaps Celeborn and Saruman should be there as well?
Legolas and Aragorn won't be there. Orlando Bloom wants to make a come back, but Jackson and Toro are a bit apprehensive about it.
Galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #17
Sardy
Wight

Sardy has just left Hobbiton.
Perhaps she has been cast to do the opening VO monologs, which would be perfectly in tune with the LotR films.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #18
deagol
Pile O'Bones

deagol has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardy View Post
Perhaps she has been cast to do the opening VO monologs, which would be perfectly in tune with the LotR films.
This actually makes sense . . . which leads me to believe that it won't happen.

In any case, the fact that Galadriel has no place in the story is not likely to sidetrack Mr. Jackson for very long.
deagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:48 PM   #19
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deagol View Post
In any case, the fact that Galadriel has no place in the story is not likely to sidetrack Mr. Jackson for very long.
Ya think?

One can at least make a somewhat logical stretch to include Galadriel, if they plan to do the White Council stuff to explain Gandalf's prolonged absence. One can even do a stretch to get Legolas in, since he was probably alive, and the story does involve his father and his army. But an adult Aragorn.... No. He was all of 10 when Thorin and Co. passed through Rivendell on their quest. And the notion of him playing Arathorn (a speculation I've heard elsewhere) is also right out, since Arathorn died 8 years before.

But that would little deter Jackson, alas. *sigh*
Old 06-22-2010, 03:21 AM   #20
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by riyanjason View Post
Not what i imagined at all but it is really effective. I pictured frodo and sam looking down into a mirror surrounded by peaceful darkness and stars. (God that sounds very poetic!!! Sorry!!!)
Anyway, it does look good.
Will frodo have to get Galadriel to pick him up to look in it though?!!! Just a thought.
You know the film version of The Lord of the Rings has been out for oh... some little time now, don't you?

I know, I know: it can be hard to keep track of what the humans are up to– but do try, that's a good little bot!

Last edited by Nerwen; 06-22-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:19 AM   #21
PrinceOfTheHalflings
Wight

PrinceOfTheHalflings is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneswilliamsc View Post
Well according to me it is really a very quite amusing that Sir Ian McKellen was on board from the very start. His role of Gandalf and all that goes it is very impressive. The looks of it is forced his way in with staff in hand.
Wow, these bots get better every day. Almost had me fooled there for a second.
PrinceOfTheHalflings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #22
Puddleglum
Wight

Puddleglum has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erendis View Post
But Aragorn...perhaps as a young teen in Rivendel and nothing more.
Not even that. Aragorn was born in 2931 and the Quest of Erebor was in 2941. Aragorn would be a 10 year old boy. Somehow, I *don't* think Viggo (good as he is) could be a convincing 10 year old "Estel" (remember that he didn't even know yet that his real name was Aragorn or that he was Isuldur's heir) - or that he would want to try.
Puddleglum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #23
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
No problem for PJ. He'd just age him to about 20
and put in the movie the first meeting of Aragorn and Arwen.
(Hey, after wargs on steroids, dwarf tossing, rather
dim-witted ents, etc., you think that would be a problem for him)?
Old 08-25-2010, 05:06 AM   #24
PrinceOfTheHalflings
Wight

PrinceOfTheHalflings is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
No problem for PJ. He'd just age him to about 20
and put in the movie the first meeting of Aragorn and Arwen.
(Hey, after wargs on steroids, dwarf tossing, rather
dim-witted ents, etc., you think that would be a problem for him)?
I don't think that Viggo Mortensen would do it ... so he might as well cast a 10 year old.
PrinceOfTheHalflings is offline   Reply With Quote