The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-12-2003, 07:02 AM   #1
Mordor_Queen
Haunting Spirit

Mordor_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye mistakes

did you know there are 114 mistakes in the fellowship of the ring. you can check them out <A HREF="http://www.moviemistakes.com" TARGET=_blank>here</A>
Old 06-22-2003, 03:55 PM   #2
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Sting

Yea, and TTT is in the top 20 at number 19
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 04:04 PM   #3
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Here is the top ten list as of today.<P>1. Titanic<BR>2. The Fellowship of the Ring<BR>3. Jurasic Park<BR>4. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone<BR>5. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets<BR>6. Gladiator<BR>7. The Matrix<BR>8. Pearl Harbor<BR>9. Top Gun<BR>10. The Two Towers<P>Pretty impressive list regardless of what it is measuring. I think most movie makers would be proud to be listed amoungst their company.<P>All this site is doing is listing these movies in order of how much people obsess about them. PJ should feel pretty good about having two films in the top ten.<P>H.C.<p>[ June 22, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 06-23-2003, 08:51 PM   #4
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I'm not bothering to go to this list, so bear with me if I got the site wrong. IF this is nitpickers.com, or something like it. The errors should be trimmed down to about 80 or 90 at least. Most are just observations. Example: 'When Gandalf throws the envelope containing the Ring into the fire at Bag End, the envelope clearly burns along the glued edges, apparently they still had modern envelopes back in those days!' Um...SOOOO! That isn't a mistake, that's an observation. A mistake is something the director & his co. didn't know was wrong ( presumably ). I know PJ made the envelope look old & all, but I think he knew it was a normal envelope. Another example is trigger-happiness: 'When the fellowship sets out from Lothlorien, the boat with Sam, Frodo, & Aragorn in it sits it's riders like this: 1st Aragorn, 2nd Sam, 3rd Frodo. When they are approaching the Arognoth, Frodo & Sam have switched places! A careless mistake.'<BR> The extended version CLEARLY shows them spending the night, & it isn't inconcievable to suppose that they happened to be in different spots the next morning! As I said, at least 20-30 of these are just observat- ions. Oh well...think what you will, I've spent enough time on this subject ( & space ). ( By the way, I STILL can't spot that car scene in the cornfields, try as I might. It may be there, but I sure can't see it... ) . <p>[ June 23, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 10:58 AM   #5
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> By the way, I STILL can't spot that car scene in the cornfields, try as I might. It may be there, but I sure can't see it... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Same here. I heard it was digitally fixed for the DVD but that you could see it on the Making the Music documentary on the Special Edition, but I couldn't see it there either.<P>Personally, I think it's a result of an overactive imagination.<P>H.C.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:01 PM   #6
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Are these small, big, or both type of mistakes?<P>Burzdol
Old 06-27-2003, 02:51 PM   #7
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

HC: I don't have the DVD though, perhaps it's just someones wishful imagination? I know one idiot at nitpickers said that he spotted a label on one of the apples that Aragorn threw to Merry & Pippin in the 'second breakfast' scene. Needless to say, he was proved wrong in not to long! Anyhoo.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:39 PM   #8
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

I love movie mistakes! Especially because they give you another excuse to go see the movie again. I mean, after reading all those mistakes, you'll just HAVE to see them for yourself, right? <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>When Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli enter the King of Rohan's chamber, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli start knocking down soldiers to protect Gandalf. When they have finished, there is a shot taken from behind and one of the beaten soldiers is lying on the floor playing with his hair, curling it around his finger.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>LOL! Are they sure it was a soldier doing this and not Legolas? I think that's open for discussion...<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>By the way, I STILL can't spot that car scene in the cornfields, try as I might. It may be there, but I sure can't see it...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Do you have the Fullscreen or Widescreen edition? In the widescreen, the smoke is edited to look like chimney smoke, but is still visible. In the fullscreen, however, the edge of the film cuts off before the smoke trail appears.<p>[ June 28, 2003: Message edited by: arianrod ]
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 11:33 AM   #9
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

I do have the widescreen, but I still haven't seen it...*Estel begans to get suspisioucs.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:10 PM   #10
Aerisin

Silmaril

How about the fact that they completely deleted Tom Bombadil and the "creepy" forest? Or the fact that they never did mention the name of Sting? Or that Galandrial's mate was the one who did most of the talking to the group? Or the fact that Legolas spent most of his time away from the group they were there?
Old 07-06-2003, 10:05 PM   #11
QuickSlash
Wight

QuickSlash has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to QuickSlash Send a message via Yahoo to QuickSlash
Shield

Welcome, Aerisin. I hope you enjoy being dead. ~_^<P>All those things you mentioned, though, aren't what those sites look for. Those sites look for more 'bloopers,' like how someone mentioned a dead soldier was curling his hair around his finger, or the infamous car. What you listed may seem like mistakes to you and many others, but PJ meant for it to be that way. That means it's no mistake to him. <P>Hope that makes sense; it's been a long day. -.-
Old 07-06-2003, 11:26 PM   #12
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have noticed the hair-obsessed soldier and the joyriding hobbits. It was hard, but I did it.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 10:31 AM   #13
Cristae

Pipe

Yeah, there are some mistakes all in all, but I think all of us agree that the movies are great,otherwise we would obviously not be here. But one of my personal favorites is the Teleporting Sword thing in FotR. When Aragorn is fighting Lurtz at Amon Hen, he is slammed against a tree and drops his sword. Then Lurtz chucks his shield at Aragorn, pinning him to the tree. In the brief moment when the shield hits him, you see a glint of silver and the edge of the sword falling from Aragorn's hand. Still, the fight was cool. Viggo and the actor who plays Lurtz (sry, forgot his name) actually made contact and got hurt on some of those moves. If you watch the Cast Audio Commentary on the extended edition DVD, they tell you that. Ha ha. Ok, that's all. bye.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:11 AM   #14
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think it is really funny if you can notice movie mistakes.<BR>Of course, the movies are great, the best ever, but there are some "obvious" mistakes in them. But these mistakes don't make the movie less great, if you know what I mean...<BR>some examples:<BR>-fotr: on the pass of Caradhras, when Boromir gives back the ring to Frodo, he takes his shield and put it back onto his back, then you can see the filmcrew in his shield for half a second!<BR>-ttt: When Aragorn and Legolas have a discussion at Helm's Deep, Legolas doensn't have his elvenears on, and they forgot his blue-coloured lences.<BR>-fotr: When the hobbits are in the prancing pony, Merry comes back with a pint. Then Pippin leaves to get one. Then Sam tells Frodo that a man is staring at him, and you see Pippin sitting at the table, and Merry is gone.<P>
Old 07-08-2003, 02:05 PM   #15
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Actually Legolas does quite a bit of eye color-shifting,Mariska. In at least a great deal of FotR he had brown eyes, but in TTT, he has blue eyes ( for the most part ). Wierd.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:26 PM   #16
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

I think he had the contact lenses in all the time it is just that brown eyes are hard to cover with blue. For the most part they look blue but in some light they will look brown. I am not believing the part about the elf ears until I see it because that is a mistake only the purest of idiots would make. <P>Darn I was going to say my favorite mistake I found but now I forgot it.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 01:22 AM   #17
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

My absolute favorite mistake of both of the movies is in FOTR. It is at the end when Aragorn has just defeated Lurtz and he runs over a a whole bunch of killed orcs to Boromir. If you look (It is kind of obvious) you will see that one of the actors playing a dead orc raises his head so obviously. When I first saw this mistake in the theater my sister and I laughed (but don't worry, I was in a theater with about 8 people in it, so we were not yelled at or anything like that), it is so funny, I am always like "why didn't anyone notice this?".<P>I still don't think that cloud of dust was a car, I just think it is a cloud of dust. I have looked so many times at that scene to try to find a car, and from my immense amount of research personally I have determined that it is not a car.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:27 PM   #18
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

peony_foxburr has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peony_foxburr
Sting

Since you have to really watch closely to catch a lot of these "bloopers," yes, it means a lot of people are watching FOTR and TTT a lot of times .<P>There's one long shot of Frodo's boat, in the scene where Sam is trying to swim after him, in which Frodo seems to be missing! Anyone else notice this? I wondered if this happened because, in the book, Frodo paddles off while still wearing the ring (i.e. invisible), and perhaps at one point that was the version the script followed.
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
peony_foxburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 08:53 PM   #19
Aragost
Wight

Aragost has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aragost
Sting

I have never been able to see the smoke in the cornfield scene either.<P>I loved the Dagorlad=>Dagorla<B>n</B>d mistake
Old 07-13-2003, 09:08 PM   #20
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Another mistake that is totally bogus is how they claim that in LothLorien when all the elf guards walk up to the fellowship that they don't have strung bows that they are just holding the arrows. BS!!! Who ever came up with that mistake is on crack because you can't even tell if the bows have strings or not when they are aimming but when they put their aim down they definately have strung bows. Idiots!

Old 07-15-2003, 10:45 AM   #21
Aragost
Wight

Aragost has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aragost
Sting

I checked out the film crew that was supposed to be reflected on Boromir's shield in the misty mountains. It was there but it was barely visible.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:32 PM   #22
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Silmiel: Exactly. It is 'mistakes' like those that really PO me. People making up things for the sake of making them up is just not cool...
Old 07-15-2003, 08:18 PM   #23
LOTRFreak297

Eye

In The Fellowship extended edition the part when they enter the border and the bowmen surround them.When they're suposed to be saying....<BR>A dwarf breathes so loud I could have shot him in the dark. They cut off A Dwarf breathes so loud I. I guess thats considered a stupid mistake.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:23 AM   #24
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Haldir does finish his sentence of "A drawf breathes so loud we could have shot him in the dark" but he doesn't say the rest of what he said in the theatrical version because they cut to the platform. In the theatrical version Haldir willing takes the fellowship to Galadriel without a fuss but in the extended version he argues about it first. So it would be kind of silly to have him say "Come she is waiting." when then he takes them a platform in the woods and tells them. "You bring great evil with you, you can go no futher."<p>[ July 16, 2003: Message edited by: Silmiel of Imladris ]

Old 07-16-2003, 05:20 PM   #25
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

Lol there are lots of mistakes! But to think it was a three hour movie so it was pretty good!
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 07:29 PM   #26
Nehani
Haunting Spirit

Nehani has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nehani
Tolkien

After reading this list of mistakes, I feel like a complete idiot! I didn't notice any of them.(*sigh*) Just goes to show you how observant I am!

"The Way Is Closed. It Was Made By Those Who are Dead. The Way is Closed."
Nehani is offline   Reply With Quote