The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2003, 12:30 PM   #201
Cleansed Curunir
Newly Deceased

Cleansed Curunir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Robert Csokas was in <I>XXX</I>. I saw Elijah Wood(young version) in <I>The Good Son</I>, Christopher Lee was in one about being a werewolf(can't remember the title)and <I>Sleepy Hollow</I>, not to mention AOTC. Those are the most recent ones I've seen him in.
Cleansed Curunir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 09:06 PM   #202
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Did anybody besides me catch this?<BR>John Rhys-Davies does the voice over for Aladdin's father in "Aladdin and the King of Thieves".<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Ha! I watched that movie while babysitting one night. <P>I always like to read the credits at the end of those silly Disney sequels, unfortunately to the youngest child's annoyance (six-year-old boys never have any patience). I shouted out in surprise when I saw John Rhys-Davies's name. When the children left to get ready for bed, I rewinded and replayed a scene with Aladdin's father in it, just to make sure I read the name correctly, and sure enough, it was John's voice. Now, how does an actor like him wind up playing roles in minor Disney sequels? It must be his big booming voice.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:54 AM   #203
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Uh, Apan, the link to your picture doesn't work. Nice try though! I was looking forward to that picture. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Now, how does an actor like him wind up playing roles in minor Disney sequels?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You know I watched that movie so many times when I was little, and I never noticed that it was him. Oh, and Elijah Wood somehow got a part in a Disney cartoon as well. I haven't seen it, but it was the Adventures of Tom Thumb and Thumbelina. I think he did the voice for Tom Thumb. Even though I don't really like watching cartoons anymore, I would see this just to hear his voice.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 07:21 AM   #204
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

I just watched <I>Alien</I> for the first time last night. <B>Good</B> movie...<P>Ian Holm was in it, he played the character called Ash (he was so much younger!) but for anyone who hasn't seen the movie, I shan't spoil the fate of his character. Now you'll just have to go out and rent it.

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 03:21 PM   #205
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Oh, and anyone who has seen it answer this. Was I the only one who was imagining Legolas up there doing all the fight scenes instead of Orlando as Will? It might have just been me, but after seeing LOTR so much I just can't get it out of my mind. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You're not alone... <P>When I saw Seabiscuit, we walked in the theatre in the middle of a preview for Master and Commander! I don't think I saw Billy Boyd though; then again, he has a rather small part, doesn't he? <P>I saw Spy Kids 2, and I remember the reference to LOTR. "My prreeccciousssss..."<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I said to my friend that I saw the movie with that the boy could have been Andy Serkis' voice double. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I totally agree without question. LOL<P>I also saw Pirates, and I recommend you see it even if it isn't your type of movie. When Barbossa asked the girl for the pendant, I was expecting her to say something to the effect of, "No! We musn't let him have it, it's our preciousss, we wants it! Crrruel pirateses be mean to us, taking us prisssoner when we was hiding!" Yes, my mind is odd like that.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 04:48 PM   #206
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Alright, is it just me, or has Ian Holm been in <I>everything</I>?<P>Saw another one today, called "The Emperor's New Clothes" in which he played the fallen Napoleon, scheming to reclaim his throne. <BR>He does that crazed, creepy psychopath look uncannilly well.

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-18-2003, 10:25 PM   #207
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I saw Spy Kids 2, and I remember the reference to LOTR. "My prreeccciousssss..."<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Not to mention "One necklace to rule them all."
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 12:53 PM   #208
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"One necklace to rule them all."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I loved that line. <BR>I'm pretty sure my family was ready to burn me at the stake after a week of hearing me say that. *laughs*

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-19-2003, 01:06 PM   #209
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

Has anyone seen 'Ash Wednesday' with Elijah Wood? My dad wouldn't let be see it, but I thought it looked good.
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 11:21 AM   #210
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I just got a scoop on a movie coming out November 14, 2003 co-starring <B>Billy Boyd!!</B> It is called "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World". Has anyone else heard about this? His name is like the 3rd person in the cast list, so he is gonna be a big character in this!
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 03:17 PM   #211
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Oh, and anyone who has seen it answer this. Was I the only one who was imagining Legolas up there doing all the fight scenes instead of Orlando as Will? It might have just been me, but after seeing LOTR so much I just can't get it out of my mind.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Pretty much. When Will and Jack Sparrow were doing the swordfighting in the blacksmith's shop, I thought,"There goes Legolas, doing all his own stunts <I>again....</I> Kind of odd, though. Not a Lego fan, but a little voice in the back of my mind kept saying stuff like: "A <I>sword</I>? No, that's the wrong weapon for you. And besides that, your hair is the wrong color." (yes, I realize he's not really blonde...)
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 07:54 PM   #212
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Hey I just saw a movie called <I>Dune</I> with my Dad last night. And thought I recognised one of the characters, a crazy looking "doctor". <BR>Come to the credits, and it was Brad Dourif! Very strange without the Grima makeup, but same sort of character. The psycho sidekick to the bad guy. <P>Still getting a kick outta that one...

Will you pay attention?
Old 09-01-2003, 08:01 PM   #213
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Merry (Dominic Monaghan, I think) was recently in the Hetty Wainthrop Mystery series. Just though I'd share.<P>Iarwain
Old 09-01-2003, 08:41 PM   #214
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Hey I just saw a movie called Dune with my Dad last night. And thought I recognised one of the characters, a crazy looking "doctor". <BR>Come to the credits, and it was Brad Dourif! Very strange without the Grima makeup, but same sort of character. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Ah yes! Mentat Piter DeVries, the 'advisor' of sorts to the outrageous villain Baron Vladimir Harkonnen! "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion...." I still quote a few of his lines from that movie, a rather odd, David Lynch take on the science fiction classic. I saw this in the theatre in 1984, and they handed out little booklets with a vocabulary so you would be able to follow the terms in the movie--it was THAT complicated. Luckily, and unluckily, I had read the book and instead of reading the booklets, my co-filmgoers asked me questions all through the film! <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Alright, is it just me, or has Ian Holm been in everything?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I think he has, actually! He is just too much fun to watch though! I might add him to the "men who can't say no" list (Michael Caine is a notable member), but I've really enjoyed every role I can remember having seen him in!<P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 09:19 PM   #215
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, well, well. Now I want to see SK2 and 3, even though I don't believe they will be very good. But, I can't judge a book--er, movie by its cover!<P>And for Boyd fans, here is a video of him in...*drumroll* Master and Commander! Hahaha! <A HREF="http://www.ninecompanions.net/MISC/billy_masterandcommander_trailer_loop.gif" TARGET=_blank>This one plays in a loop,</A> and <A HREF="http://www.ninecompanions.net/MISC/billy_masterandcommander_trailer_noloop.gif" TARGET=_blank>this one only plays once.</A> Same video, though. Enjoy!
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 07:32 AM   #216
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion...."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>*laughing* We were up late and right after that line my Dad laughed and said: "I don't want to hear that tomorrow morning..."<P>It was actually a good movie, and Dourif was certainly a nice excuse to put it up here.

Will you pay attention?
Old 09-02-2003, 12:26 PM   #217
Elentári
Wight

Elentári has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Oh, and anyone who has seen it answer this. Was I the only one who was imagining Legolas up there doing all the fight scenes instead of Orlando as Will? It might have just been me, but after seeing LOTR so much I just can't get it out of my mind. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Er well actually, being an Orlando fan (don't shoot me! I'm a book fan too, being a book fan first!!!!), and having looked at pictures of him...er...all year , I had no trouble in seeing Will as Orlando as opposed to Legolas...although now you mention it, I can just imagine Legolas doing that fight scene with his long white knife <BR>What was with all those refences to eunuchs though???
Old 09-02-2003, 07:23 PM   #218
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Correction. While "Hetty Wainthrop Investigates" was very new to me, apparently it is at least three years old. Looks like I posted a bit too late. <P>Iarwain
Old 09-03-2003, 01:30 PM   #219
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

This thread has never been more than tangentially on-topic vis-a-vis LotR and Tolkien. In the interest of hewing to our All-Tolkien All the Time theme, I'm shutting it down, unless someone can PM me with an extraordinarily compelling reason why it should be reopened.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote