The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-31-2005, 12:59 PM   #1
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree The Root of all Evil.

We all know of that saying "Money is the root of all evil," but what is the "root of evil" in Tolkien? (If there is one). Well, it seems to be gold...
Quote:
It is quite possible, of course, that certain 'elements' or conditions of matter had attracted Morgoth's special attention (mainly, unless in the remote past, for reasons of his own plans). For example, all gold (in Middle-earth) seems to have had a specially 'evil' trend - but not silver.~Morgoth's Ring
Gold seems to be the connection to the evil characters in Tolkien's stories. There's the Barrow-wights, Dragon's hoards, it almost caused Thorin's dwarves to cause much bloodshed. And of course the One Ring, being a simple "band of gold."

Then there is the case between Boromir's gold belts and Merry and Pippin's silver belts. They are laid directly one after the other in Farewell to Lorien. While, I don't think it's Tolkien trying to say Boromir's evil, I think it foreshadows and symbolizes his draw to gold, most specifically his lure to the Ring. Where Merry and Pippin were given belts of Silver and Tolkien goest out to specifically say that Silver has no evil trend like gold. It's sort of like the "ungold."

So, why does Tolkien choose gold to tie in with "evil?" What is it specifically about gold that Tolkien says it tends to have an evil trend? And why is Silver not evil? What makes it pure and good and not connected to evil the way gold is?
Old 08-31-2005, 01:09 PM   #2
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Well, gold was the original color of money when it was used for coinage, and thus symbolic of greed. Silver's good connotations might have to do with its white-ish quality, and white symbolizes purity.
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 01:18 PM   #3
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Good thoughts on gold, it was the basing for money. For our paper to be worth something we need gold to back it. So, I guess the saying should be "Gold is the root of all evil," because without it, the paper money would be worthless.

Also, there's the stories of the conquistadores and other ancient stories of people who are so driven by gold they spend their life and dedication ever searching for it in hopes of finding it. And in many cases killed over gold. So, I think gold has a historical background to it to explain why Tolkien makes the connection.

I'm still not sold on silver. I don't know what is it about silver that makes it purer than gold, and so...ungold?
Old 08-31-2005, 01:38 PM   #4
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Are we speaking strictly about the metal or does the 'color' count? If so, I would point out the obvious "Golden Wood" and of course the "Lady" therein, whose hair was like gold. Also, is not the light of Laurelin golden? These would offset the negative observations.

If we are restricted to the metal, then I wonder if it is the value of the metal (gold traditionally valued more than silver) that is the issue. Surely mithril ("true silver") is much more prized than even gold, but I thnk that it is so rare and 'magical' that it is only used sparingly in the story, and so maybe not given as much thought. Then again, mithril was the downfall of the Dwarves at Khazad-dûm yet also was the saviour of Frodo. Hmmm...

Will give it more thought.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:38 PM   #5
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Aha, one of the most mis-quoted sentences in the entire Bible!

"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil." (I Timothy 6:10a, NIV, emphasis mine. Anyone want to share another translation? My KJV has hidden itself...)

The key operator there is that the money itself isn't the problem. It's the untoward lust for it that leads to evil.

If something is the root of all kinds of evil, does that make it evil itself? As alatar observed, if "gold" in all forms is the root of evil for Tolkien, what does that say about the Galadriel and the Golden Wood? And what of Laurelin? If I made a list of things unmarred and without evil, the Golden Tree of Valinor would be pretty high up there.

~ Nuranar, who will be late for class unless she cuts her eloquence short
Old 08-31-2005, 04:42 PM   #6
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Nuranar you beat me to it!

I completely agree that it is the lust for gold/money and not gold/money itself that causes the problems. The desire to have more than you have is the same whether in the real world with money or in Middle-Earth with the Ring. Everyone who has gone after the Ring has wanted it because it will bring them more than they have, whether that be power or strength.