The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Werewolf LXXII: Now There's the Truth of It! (Game Thread)

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the 72nd round of Barrow Downs Werewolf (not counting the Junior games, of course). The following competitors are lined up and eager to stake their claim as most popular Downer.

Brinn
Dun
Fea
Form
Glirdan
Gwath
Izzy
Lottie
Mira
Nerwen
Nienna
Nog
Pitch
Rune
Steve
Wilwa

The first round of eliminations will commence at 3 a.m. GMT tomorrow. Best of luck to all!

(Note: I'll put the narration up later, but I got lazy and didn't write an opening opening narration, so this'll have to do for now.)
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Okay... this feels a bit odd... first person posting... and I'm going to bed pretty quickly.

Ummm... I have no suspicions yet. It's Day 1 after all. I trust I can get away with that when the only post I could suspect is the Moddess's?

I mean, I can pull random accusations out of the hat, for old times' sakes, towards Glirdan and Nogrod--Glirdy's simply always suspicious, and if Nog doesn't disagree with me yet, he will... but that's rather silly reasoning, no? Also, I'd like to suspect Shasta, on the simple grounds of being Shasta... but he doesn't seem to be playing, and so that wouldn't be sporting.

Seeeeeeeeeriously... whose idea was it for the Day 1 Curmudgeon to get first post?
Old 02-04-2010, 12:37 AM   #3
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mirandir is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
So since Form was the first to post, he must be evil. That's how it still works, right? It's been a while.

So I won't be around until late afternoon due to classes and interviews and naps and such. Fair warning.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:55 AM   #4
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
Also, I'd like to suspect Shasta, on the simple grounds of being Shasta... but he doesn't seem to be playing, and so that wouldn't be sporting.
Nonsense. Both Legate and I have come under heavy suspicion in games which we weren't even playing; I don't see why Shasta deserves a free pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
Seeeeeeeeeriously... whose idea was it for the Day 1 Curmudgeon to get first post?
You mean... it wasn't yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirandir View Post
So since Form was the first to post, he must be evil. That's how it still works, right?
One of the first three, as a rule. That means... oh no!
Old 02-04-2010, 01:02 AM   #5
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirandir View Post
So since Form was the first to post, he must be evil. That's how it still works, right?
It's actually the second person, I think.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:08 AM   #6
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sally View Post
The first round of eliminations will commence at 3 a.m. GMT tomorrow. Best of luck to all!
Underlining mine.

People...it's still Night! Shh!
Old 02-04-2010, 01:17 AM   #7
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Oh dear. I just assumed it had begun when I saw there were two posts already.

This is all your fault, Form. And possibly Mira. I hope you realise that.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:19 AM   #8
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
I was wondering about that...
Old 02-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #9
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Form suspects me because I wear shirts with wolves on them. *nod*
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
Underlining mine.

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank you.

(Yeah, I'd have plopped in ages ago but internet=rubbish. Aaaanyway....)

Silence!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #11
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains." --Pride and Prejudice and Zombies--

Shasta was uneasy. Actually, he was about to wet himself, but if anyone asked he was shaking because he was freezing. It was the middle of the night, and something evil was lurking in the dark, he could feel it. Paranoid? Him? Never.

He walked along the alley in silence, moonlight illuminating his path. A piece of paper blew across the dimly lit street and he jumped, his heart nearly leaping into his throat. He tried to scream but could only manage a gasp, and he froze as he saw someone step into his line of sight, staring at him intently. At first glance the woman looked....well, of loose moral fiber, but he turned off his iPod and peered into the darkness. “Horror,” he mumbled, enunciating the last syllable carefully. “You scared me, you know.” The young woman shrugged and walked up to him, smiling. “Hey. You’re out late.”

“You should talk,” Alona replied. She took his arm and they made their way down the alley together.

After a bit Shasta turned his iPod back on, holding out one of the ear buds to his companion. She grinned and carefully brushed back her hair, inserting the small device before taking hold of his arm again.

“Beauty and the Beast?” she confirmed with a laugh. “You have got to be kidding me. You’ve always struck me as more of a Wicked fan.”

Shasta frowned. “Don’t you like it?”

“Meh.” Alona shrugged, but her grin dissipated as they heard a door slam. “What was that?”

“Dunno, but I’m definitely not a fan. Come on, this way.”

They walked quicker until they reached a dead end and Alona kicked the brick wall. “Great.” Shasta took her hand and she shuddered; it was far too cold out and even though Shasta was wearing gloves his fingers were still freezing. “Where are we anyway?”

“No idea,” he admitted. “I think we took a wrong turn a few blocks back.”

“Fabulous,” Alona huffed. “What now?”

“Well the sun should be up in an hour or two. We could just stay here.”

“If the door-slamming axe murderer doesn’t kill us first,” she deadpanned. Shasta glared at her, his expression barely visible by the glow from his iPod. “Sorry. Bad day.”

“Yeah, well, there’s nothing else we can do. Let’s just wait.”

Alona sighed but nodded and they settled themselves in the corner, avoiding a few stray bits of trash scattered on the concrete. There was a noise behind them and she jumped. “Shasta, what was that?!”

“I....I don’t know,” he whispered. Alona was clearly terrified and he scooted closer to her. “So,” he said, feigning carelessness, “Sally said you’d been wanting to talk to me.”

“Erm....maybe....” She shifted uncomfortably, glancing around. “Is this the best time? Really?”

“Well if you’re right about the axe murderer....”

“Not even remotely funny.”

“Right. Sorry. But what did you want?”

“It seems a bit silly now....”

“Oh, get on with it,” he said, getting a bit nervous himself as he heard the noise behind them again. “We may as well talk. Maybe I’m brainless, but I don’t see what else we can do.”

“Fine,” she sighed. “I was wondering....well, I was going to ask you out.”

“Oh.” The noise grew closer and he could now hear a soft growling. “Did you hear that too?”

“Yup,” Alona gulped. She frowned, clearly embarrassed. “I may or may not be terrified.”

“Ditto,” Shasta mumbled. He wrapped an arm around her and they both closed their eyes, holding onto each other tightly as the growling grew louder. “Alona?” he said after a moment.

“Yeah?”

“For the record....”

The growling was now clearly all around them and they could feel hot breath on their faces and exposed necks. “Maybe they were right,” Alona said, her voice shaking.

Despite his fear Shasta cracked an eye open and looked at her. “Right about what?”

“They said there’s no future for us,” Alona murmured. “Well, I’d say there’s not one now.”

“Open your eyes,” Shasta managed. He saw large claws coming toward him but ignored it as Alona looked at him he smiled. “I don’t care,” he said quietly, and he kissed her.

Alona gasped, then leaned in and kissed him back. She shut her eyes again before she could see the creatures that were obviously surrounding them and felt Shasta’s hold on her tighten until she could hardly breathe. Finally she pulled her lips from his. “Making every last moment last, are we?” she teased, shivering in his arms.

Shasta was about to reply but they were out of time. As the creatures started to rip at their flesh Shasta made one last effort to protect Alona, grabbing his iPod and turning it on, hoping to blind or at least startle one of the creatures.

“See how bright they shine,” one of them commented. It looked confused for a moment then smiled. “Help me make the music of the night?”

The others chuckled and Shasta heard the bright and happy tones of a cheesy Disney film as the creatures ripped out his and Alona’s hearts and devoured them in one bite each.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sally and Phantom stumbled out of the poorly lit street, cackling to each other as they walked along. “Come on, let’s go get some breakfast.”

“No way. I’m dead on my feet,” Sally complained, and she slid down the brick wall, flopping into an exhausted pile. Suddenly she looked up at Phantom and grinned. “Pollo madre,” she said. Phantom just stared at her as if she’d grown a second head. She pointed to her covered face in response. “Pollo madre. You like it?”

“It means mother chicken,” he said flatly. “It’s clearly a turkey. Didn’t you pay attention to the label?” Sally huffed indignantly and he laughed, sitting down beside her. “What about mine?”

Sally stared at him intently and finally smiled. “How do you say ‘big mouth’ again?” She stood up, offering Phantom a hand. He shook his head and pulled himself to his feet, gesturing to a small restaurant across the street. “Really? There? You’ve got to be joking.”

“Not the best, but better than nothing.”

“Yeah, if the alternative is eating on Mars. I’ll pass, thanks.” A few drunken boys walked by and Sally noticed that while she had been stumbling, their swagger was clearly induced by alcohol, not lack of sleep. “Morons. They’ll have a shock in the morning though.”

“Why?” Phantom asked hesitantly. “Sally, what did you do now?”

“Two of them were passed out in the hallway. I glued those devil masks to their faces.”

Sally!” Phantom said harshly. “I can’t believe you.” He glared at her, crossing his arms. “Why didn’t you call me to help?”

“Pfffft. I could take them. Out to dinner,” she added with a chuckle. “But believe me, I did them a favor. They look better like that.”

She jumped suddenly and Phantom stared at her strangely. “Phone,” she muttered. “I forgot to turn it off vibrate. Must be....” She pulled her phone out of her pocket and grinned. “Duck!”

“Only with rice,” Phantom said flatly, and Sally rolled her eyes. “All right, where are we going?”

Sally frowned. “That’s really weird....”

“What is it?”

“Never mind,” she stuttered, “just one of those stupid forwarded texts. Whatever.”

“Lemme see,” Phantom demanded, and Sally tried to protest but he grabbed the phone from her hand. “What the heck? ‘Breakfast with Phantom, eh? I’m jealous. Well, I’d be jealous, but you won’t be having pancakes so it doesn’t matter. Haha.’ What is it?”

“Inside joke,” Sally mumbled, snatching the phone and shoving it into her pocket again. “Don’t worry about it. No more weird texts, I promise. Now let’s go.”

Sally, why would she care about us having pancakes?”

“It doesn’t matter,” Sally insisted.

Phantom was about to press her further but they were suddenly approached by four figures in white sheets. “Worst. Costumes. Ever,” he said with a smirk. He tried to get around them but they spread themselves to fill the entire alley and he frowned. “Come on, Sally. We’ll go another way if these idiots won’t move.”

“It’s quicker this way,” Sally said, looking hesitantly from one cloaked figure to another. “Trust me, Phantom. I’ve been around enough drunks. They’ll move if we just kind of-”

The fourth figure grabbed her arm, squeezing it so tightly she winced. “What the-”

“You will curse the day you did not do all that the Phantom asked of you,” it said.

“I’ve been telling her that for months,” Phantom deadpanned, then he saw the expression on Sally’s face and stepped toward them. “Hey, let her go.”

The creature started to obey but one of its allies -the first in line- stepped out and placed a hand on its arm. “Easy now,” it said quietly, and the first figure tightened its grip on Sally’s arm. She whimpered and the figures smiled. “Hush, love, hush. Don’t distress yourself.”

“Two hearts,” the third creature said, glancing from Sally to Phantom, “mark it up.”

Phantom started toward them but the second figure held out a hand to stop him. “There will be blood,” it warned, and snarled at him as he kept walking. “It might be yours,” it added quickly.

Phantom,” Sally hissed, “either help me or get the heck out of here.”

“Definitely the first one,” he said, although he didn’t sound entirely convinced as he realized the hand was covered with fur and ended in sharp claws. “Who are you?” he asked defiantly.

At that moment Sally’s phone rang and they both glanced down at her jacket pocket.

This is thriller, thriller night
'Cause I can thrill you more than any ghost would ever dare try
Thriller, thriller night
So let me hold you tight and share a killer, diller, chiller, thriller here tonight

'Cause this is thriller, thriller night
Girl, I can thrill you more than any ghost would ever dare try
Thriller, thriller night
So let me hold you tight and share a killer, thriller, ow!

“Society is slipping,” the second creature said flatly, pointing to Sally’s ringing phone.

Phantom took his opportunity to lunge at the creature, pinning it to the ground. “Let her go,” he said sharply, pushing the creature’s head roughly against the ground, “or else.”

“Oh, I’m in pain,” the creature whined. “I think this is what pain feels like.”

“Sometimes I wonder why I ever got in,” the third creature said with a roll of its glowing eyes. It flung its claws into the air, first one way, then the other, and shifted its weight as it prepared to pounce on Phantom.

Sally screamed and she saw the creature turn away from Phantom, instead digging its claws into her stomach. The wind was knocked out of her as she collapsed to the ground, bleeding and nauseous. “Hurts,” she managed.

“I can’t feel nothing at all,” it replied with a cheeky grin.

“It hurts,” Sally repeated.

“Ah, but there is worse yet to come, poor thing,” the first villain added, glancing down at Sally’s injuries.

“Shut up!” Phantom shouted. “Leave her alone!” He released the other creature and shoved two of them out of the way as he made his way to where Sally lay on the ground. “You all right?”

“Dumbest. Question. Ever,” Sally grunted, then her eyes widened. “Phantom, watch out!”

All four of their attackers dropped their sheets to reveal what looked like furry bodies. They were covered, however, in rhinestone jumpsuits from their necks to their pointy toes, and Sally and Phantom could only watch as they all repeated the movement they had seen before. Sally’s phone rang again but she ignored it, clutching her stomach as the creatures neared them.

....killer, diller, chiller, thriller here tonight....

The creatures arms continued to wave from one side to the other as they approached them one step at a time, the second grinning madly and giggling to itself.

“Underthings tumbling?” it asked hopefully, and its companions nodded. It licked its lips and approached Sally, smiling. “Want to say,” it mumbled, “love your hair.” Then it pounced.

Phantom, no!” Sally screamed, but it was too late. Phantom had jumped in front of her, and what was left of him was now laying in a growing puddle of blood. His party mask slid off his now detached skull, clattering to the ground. She stared at the dark hair and then her eyes flitted to Phantom’s blonde just as the creatures took his head too. She finally passed out from the loss of blood, her eyes closing just as the creatures were ripping Phantom’s eyes from his sockets and using them as finger puppets. Needless to say, she didn’t wake up again.

The Dead
Co-Mod Shastanis Althreduin, his last moment made last on Night 0
Vote Count Girl/Co-Co-Mod Alonariel, died of a broken (well, eaten) heart on Night 0
Heckler the Phantom, went out of his British mind (and then his regular one) on Night 0
Moddess satansaloser2005, didn’t dance and died (or was thrilled) on Night 0

The Living
Brinn
Dun
Fea
Form
Glirdan
Gwath
Izzy
Lottie
Mira
Nerwen
Nienna
Nog
Pitch
Rune
Steve
Wilwa

It is now Day One. Discuss and vote and such nonsense. I’ll check the Downs periodically so PM or go to the admin thread with any questions! Game on!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:03 PM   #12
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Marco?
Old 02-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #13
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Luigi?

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #14
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
Luigi?

Hello. My name is Mario. *cues theme music*

I'm going to bed. Night all, and play nice.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:16 PM   #15
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
Polo?
Old 02-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #16
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hmm. Quite a narrative. It's unsettling how phantom and alona managed to get iced when they're not even playing. How's that for lousy luck?
I guess anything said in the 'dry run' when people posted during the Night () should be fair game for a look. Probably nothing there, though.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:39 PM   #17
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Ring Since it's Sally's game...

The Werewolf Hunting Song!

Lottie: "Everybody's going werewolf hunting now, some are fast but some are slow.
Oh where'd we get them? I don't know, but everybody's going werewolf hunt-iiiiiiiiing.
I went a hunting in the store, got his head stuck in the door, spilled
some lima beans on the floor. Oh everybody's going ..."

Lucyyenic: "Stop it, stop, stop right this instant! What do you think
you're doing? You can't tell the newbies to go werewolf hunting when everyone
has not gone a werewolf hunting! We're going to get nasty pms saying,
"Where are my evil werewolves? Why don't I have a werewolf pack to hunt?" And are
you prepared to deal with that? I don't think so! Just stop being so silly!"

Narrator: "This has been Silly Songs with Lottie. Tune in next time to
hear Lottie sing ..."

Lottie: "Everypack's got a newbie werewolf, yours is pink but mine is blue.
Hers was small but - "
Old 02-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #18
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Hmm. Quite a narrative. It's unsettling how phantom and alona managed to get iced when they're not even playing. How's that for lousy luck?
I guess anything said in the 'dry run' when people posted during the Night () should be fair game for a look. Probably nothing there, though.
No, not much...except for the fact that it happened at all. Form is an experienced player. Why would he forget that we always start on a Night phase? To suggest "I forgot about the Night, ergo I must not have any reason to remember it, ergo I am no wolf"? Or just because he was tired and not thinking clearly?

Mira posted next, bringing up the age-old argument of "he posted first = evil", then warning that she would be a bit quieter than usual. Jury's still out on what that looks like.

Nerwen mentions the suspicion she and Legate came under during games they did not play in as a reason to suspect Shasta, who is not playing in this game, plus is a co-mod. (I totally support this. I am so not voting for him toDay. I say we lynch him with our non-votes! Who's with me? ) She then jokes with Form and Mira. Nerwen looks so far the best of the lot. She then pushes blame (jokingly, I think) onto Mira and Form.

Steve banters with Nerwen and Mira. After my "It's still Night, shut it!" post, he says that he wondered about that. He hasn't played for a while, though, so I can see him being confused by other people posting and assuming that something had changed. I don't think he looks too suspicious, but I don't think he looks good, either.

EDIT: xed with Nerwen
Old 02-04-2010, 09:41 PM   #19
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I guess anything said in the 'dry run' when people posted during the Night () should be fair game for a look.
Of course. I find Shasta's comment about "wearing a wolf shirt" highly suspicious.

The real question is, what does this do to the "first three posts" principle?

EDIT: X'd with Lottie.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #20
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mirandir is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hellooooo my dears! With any luck, I should be around for the next couple hours at least. Have to leave work first though so nothing legitimate to contribute at the moment.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #21
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Of course. I find Shasta's comment about "wearing a wolf shirt" highly suspicious.

The real question is, what does this do to the "first three posts" principle?
Aha! Proof! We must lynch Shasta.

It extends to all the people who posted during the Night. We're ALL evil.

EDIT: xed with Mira.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:12 PM   #22
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

OK, well firstly, since it has been called into question:
  1. Sally said:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
  2. I saw two veteran and one quite experienced WW players post on the thread.
  3. I have heard of the existence of Day 0s, but have never played a game with any.
  4. I assumed that since those three had posted, and it only said "first round of elimination", mentioning nothing if posting, that it was Day 0.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:25 PM   #23
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Heh--look at that! Eönwë just called me a veteran!

That's probably your problem right there--WWIII is about to start, and you're looking at what the veteran of WWII is doing. He's old and senile and should be paid no heed.

So... yeah... me-posting-early. I'm afraid I have no crafty plan to reveal... indeed, no uncrafty plan either. Just about every game I've played (but not every game, I think) started on a Night phase, and I would have assumed the same here. However, the fact of the matter is that I simply wasn't thinking--a couple of people mentioned in chatting that "hey, look, the WW game has started" and I went straight into thinking "oh, I should go post before bedtime."

And I did...

Of course, I could throw in the metagame reasonings beyond that why I'd be distracted: I'm playing to appease Sally, in the middle of a rather busy time in life, full of vocational angst (as the Bostonmooters all ought to guess), and papers, and... well, it's been a while since I've played. It's not a question of what I was thinking, but rather than I wasn't thinking.

Of course, this has really no bearing on whether or not I'm a wolf or not... I could be just as forgetful and scatterbrained, really, as a wolf forgetting about Night 1 as an Ordo forgetting about Night 1.

Oh... I mean... uh... if I have to treat of this like a celebrity: "I deny the whole thing, but I'm checking into rehab, anyway. Buy my movies and albums."
Old 02-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #24
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Now that that's out of the way...

Firstly, the main difference between this and other games is that instead of voting who we want to go, we're voting who we want to say. This means that instead of having to not seem guilty as in the usual game, you actually have to try to seem useful and get people's confidence.

This means that it will be harder for wolves to hide as submarines, because if they don't post convincingly, they won't get any of the precious votes to keep them alive. So probably we'll see more activity from everyone, as everyone needs to try to justify their place. This is in theory, but in reality it seems that we have less than two pages so far, with under a quarter of the day left.

On the other hand, this new way of playing means that there will be less of a difference between the way that ordos and wolves post, because everyone will be thinking the way a wolf does, and so will try to get the confidence of the village as much as possible. It also means that people will be less likely to do crazy posts that leave everyone confused, because less people will be likely to vote for that sort of person past Day 1. In other words, being confusing and unhelpful is probably much more risky in this game, meaning that ordos will act more like wolves try to, and the wolves will probably try harder to look useful.

My opening thoughts for now... sadly no third point yet so I can't join the Three-Handed-Mutant Society.

edit: x-ed wi' Form
Old 02-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #25
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Firstly, the main difference between this and other games is that instead of voting who we want to go, we're voting who we want to say. This means that instead of having to not seem guilty as in the usual game, you actually have to try to seem useful and get people's confidence.
You're hitting the nail in the head here Eönwë.

I'd like to make just one add-on to that.

I was just a while ago championing this new way of playing as a way to make the submarines post and be active, but with a second thought I can see the downside of this as well.

In order to get people's confidence - or good-will, if you wish - the wolves (and ordos as well) need to be smooth and liked eg. they can't afford suspecting others heavily. And that attitude could kill a game.

We need suspicions to get reactions, we need openly argued suspicions to see where a wolf might try to hide, we need suspicions to get things rolling... even if the official votes will be votes of confidence.

It's Day1 to be sure, but how many suspicions have you registered thus far? How many posts have been posted thus far?

It might be not only because of the timezones or sudden RL-hindrances. The game-mechanics encourage a kind of "be easy", "do not meddle with other people" way of playing so as not to get bad publicity? If it is that, it works into the hands of the wolves.

So let's change that.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:48 PM   #26
Isabellkya
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Isabellkya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I tend to always look at it numerically. On the first Day, the chances of getting a wolf are slim. It does happen, but it is the exception, not the rule.

On another side. This style can heavily "reward" those that are on the louder side. If you get noticed by a lot of banter, and not so much actual posting - then you might get votes to be saved. But should one whom is banterloud be saved above one whom may be quiet, but no banter? How do you figure in the possible lupine genes into that?

X'd with Miss Moddess, Pitchwife, Eonwe, and Mr. CoMod.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #27
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moddess
Tell me how I could top my last game and I'll do it. Until then, hush. Nyah.
You're quite right, sorry. Damn consumer mentality getting the better of me...
Old 02-05-2010, 05:16 PM   #28
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Come on, people, show a bit of flare! I can understand discussing mechanics and such, but let's see some fire. Don't just suggest things, or put forth the idea that it may be intelligent to do certain things, but rather put forth a bold plan and state, "We are going to do this!" and state in no uncertain terms that anyone who disagrees with you is wrong.

You may protest on the grounds that displaying such an attitude will trigger a backlash, but that's not a bad thing. That will give you a legit reason to lynch people on the grounds that they are irrational and wrong for arguing. And it's even better if no one adopts your good idea, for then you can sit back and shout "I told you so!" when things go wrong.

Being a star isn't about winning every little point- it's about character and standing out, and sometimes it's about everyone hating you. If you are universally loathed you are in much higher standing than someone who is generally liked during the rare moments he is actually thought of by someone. For the most part, people love individuals who push their emotional buttons, one way or another. In general it is only slightly less fun to hate a team/person/thing than it is to love.

Trust me- if you tick everyone off early, it will help you in the long run (assuming you know the proper time to turn their attitudes in the later stages).
Old 02-05-2010, 05:01 PM   #29
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabellkya View Post
But should one whom is banterloud be saved above one whom may be quiet, but no banter? How do you figure in the possible lupine genes into that?
But that's the whole point of this game. It forces people to be louder, whether actually being "useful", or just bantering.

Also, I think my last post had a bit of a "Don't suspect" attitude. By all means, suspect away, just don't overdo it by making a "who-I-want-to-lynch" system.

edit: x-ed with many

Last edited by Eönwë; 02-05-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #30
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
The game-mechanics encourage a kind of "be easy", "do not meddle with other people" way of playing so as not to get bad publicity? If it is that, it works into the hands of the wolves.
Ah, but does it? It forces everyone (including the wolves) to the forefront, and once something happens, people will feel like they have to make a "useful" contribution, and then it will be more easy to find suspicious responses.

Of course, that is not to say we should not talk about our suspicions. Of course that's not the case- suspicions are the most important thing we have. But by focusing on the positive (the people we find innocent), it will force people to talk more and about who they trust (which doesn't happen often, or even ever, in a normal game) and so by a certain point we will have a lot to go on, maybe even more evidence than in a normal game (on the other hand, the spreading out of votes makes it harder to see who they like).

So basically, I think that because the nature of the game is positive, focusing too much on the negative early on will complicate matters further. Later on (Day 3 probably, Day 2 is barely ever productive even normally), we will have a lot more evidence with which to incriminate people, but for now it is probably best to focus on the positive side this early on.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:06 PM   #31
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
It's such a rollercoaster-drive with you Eönwë...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Of course, that is not to say we should not talk about our suspicions. Of course that's not the case- suspicions are the most important thing we have. But by focusing on the positive (the people we find innocent), it will force people to talk more and about who they trust (which doesn't happen often, or even ever, in a normal game) and so by a certain point we will have a lot to go on, maybe even more evidence than in a normal game (on the other hand, the spreading out of votes makes it harder to see who they like).
This I think I might agree on. I'm not sure focusing solely on the positive side is a good idea, but the "evidence" thus begotten will be different and interesting to read on D2.

I just don't see how can't one perform the two things at the same time: say one trusts X because of this and that, and say that one suspects heavily Y because of this and that?

My problem in the beginning of this conversation was that no one seemed to suspect anyone - and thence getting a wolf would be the most random thing, something we'd wish to avoid.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #32
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Okay. I had a cigarette and managed to formulate my point hopefully in a better way.

A ww-game is a game where we need to lynch the baddies.

To lynch a baddie we need to have an idea who might be a baddie.

In this game the voting-mechanics work in the way that we vote for those we trust. But that doesn't mean that we are not allowed to think who is furry. Or that trying to figure out who is furry would be against the spirit of the game!

Trying to figure out who is furry is still the aim of the game - and the only way we can win.

With the given game-mechanics (votes of confidence rather than votes for lynching) it just means we need to be even more alert both ways as our votes are not lynch votes, but indirectly. And everyone voting, especially those voting in the last hour, should be really on top of things.

One way of achieving that would be that we would not only make the confident-votes but would also make it clear whom we do suspect.

I can't see anyone but a wolf disagreeing with that point.

Talking only of whom we trust would play to the hands of the wolves - and make this game a boring one.

EDIT: X'd with the phantom... and agreeing...