The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-15-2008, 01:02 PM   #641
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Well if you were wondering whether to trust more a person who made really good big cases against people or one who popped in to say "X looks weird... I'll tell more later," which one would you choose? If by saying a threat to the wolves you mean a player who's good at spotting wolves, it's difficult to make a difference between them, but if you mean one who can more easily convince others to think the way s/he does, I think it's justified to call Nog a greater threat than Cab.~Agan
Agan you're right.

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by a "good" case, but of course if one never says anything else than "this person is suspicous" then you are little threat. I just want to point out that we where on day 1, there was plenty of time for McCabber to come good and on day 1 extensive cases are clearly overkill and seldom better than a gut feeling.

You are not a threat to the wolves if you convince people about your case and you are wrong. . .and now we have returned to an earlier stage of this discusion: Are more experienced players better at catching wolves.
Rune you're right.

Now can you please both move on?

Quote:
"But trying not to say it although meaning it because of it would be suspicious is something I don't like, and it looks like it." Dude, help me untangle that clause. What is "it"? If you're worried that I flip-flopped on how to handle my lack of experience, well, yeah, I did. Be worried, I guess.~Ilya
Playing the newbie card is...say you're a wolf, but you're new to WWing, and you use your newbie status to your advantage by pretty much saying "Hey, I'm a newbie, I don't know what's going on."

I believe what Agan was trying to get at is saying it looks like you're trying to play the newbie card, but that would be looked at as suspicious, so you're attempting to imply it...or in other words she's doubting your use of your newbie status as meaning you're an innocent trying to get the feel for things.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:05 PM   #642
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
I don't know what you mean by a "good" case, but of course if one never says anything else than "this person is suspicous" then you are little threat. I just want to point out that we where on day 1, there was plenty of time for McCabber to come good and on day 1 extensive cases are clearly overkill and seldom better than a gut feeling.
By good case I meant a case which has valid points against someone and is likely to change other players' opinions. And although there was plenty of time, I don't think Cab's a player who's into making lengthy cases.
I think a player who's capable of swaying the public opinion is a threat to the wolves even if s/he was wrong at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya View Post
"But trying not to say it although meaning it because of it would be suspicious is something I don't like, and it looks like it." Dude, help me untangle that clause. What is "it"? If you're worried that I flip-flopped on how to handle my lack of experience, well, yeah, I did. Be worried, I guess.
Whoa, I didn't realise I had created such a monster of a sentence. What I mean is, trying to avoid saying straight that you are new, although you make it quite clear in a more subtle way, looks suspicious to me. And it looks like you were trying to do just that. And it looks suspicious because you're trying to excuse your participating in a bandwagon (or any other suspicious thing you might do) by saying you're just a newbie.

However, there was a question you didn't answer.
Quote:
Quote:
Agan, a "charismatic wolf" would be someone who has a bead on the general suspicions of the reps and would be able to do exactly what Boro did to me yesterday: cast a vote with authority, and convince me to jump on the bandwagon.
What I haven't figured out is what you meant by calling for a method of empowering reps so a charismatic wolf wouldn't get a chance to rule them. What kind of method would you suggest?
edit: xed with Boro. Yeah I'm fine with moving on.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:20 PM   #643
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
People I Would Not Mind Being Lynched

Ilya:
Nerwen:
Nerwen and Ilya falls under the same cathegory in my mind. First of all I have had a hard time figuring them out and constantly switches between thinking them innocent or wolves, I guess it is often like this in the early stages. I get that feeling that their contributions are fabricated in order to seem helpful, but of course it is hard to determine what is genuine and what is not. What more is Ilya’s respons to accusations confuses me. . . sometimes I just have a hard time understanding what she means and have to read it over a few time and that might have gotten stuck in my mind and make me uneasy about her. She is fast to admit to playing it flip-flopping and other stuff, this could be a way of trying to kill the accusations before they become a major case.

Aganzir: Her way of tracking wolves and posting annoys me. Also I have trouble telling apart what is just “normal” Aganzir and what is suspicious, so I would also like her to go simply to make my life easier. Also I don’t get why it is much more suspicious to say you’re a newbie in subtle way, than doing it straight forward. (ok Boromir just explained it, I don’t know what to make of it)

Brinniel:I guess the reason that she is on this list is because I don’t follow her reasoning and her posting of late has been of little substance, except for her defence of a fixed/preferred number of representatives.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:31 PM   #644
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I just realised that I have totaly overlooked The Ka, but you I will wait till tomorrow before I take a look at her posts.

I will see you guys latter.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:37 PM   #645
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Also I don’t get why it is much more suspicious to say you’re a newbie in subtle way, than doing it straight forward. (ok Boromir just explained it, I don’t know what to make of it)
Think it this way: you're a wolf and want to bluff by doing something you would never do as a wolf. When someone suspects you of it, is it better for you to say "I would never do so as a wolf" or wait till someone else says "He would never do so as a wolf"? The former is more suspicious.
Now, you're a newbie wolf. You might be suspected if you said "I did it just because I'm new, no-no I didn't have any dark intents," but if you suggested subtly that it might have happened because you're new and don't quite know how to react to different situations, it would be easier for people to believe it since it would feel more like they had come up with it themselves. What struck me as suspicious in Ilya was how she looked like she was consciously and carefully trying to use the less suspicion-raising manner.

Do you get my point?
Old 11-15-2008, 01:40 PM   #646
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

I get it, but Boromir is better at explaining it.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:40 PM   #647
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Notice, for general reference:

There are wolves, I promise. I picked them out myself.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:41 PM   #648
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Or maybe I didn't pick them out myself. But they do definitely exist. That part's definitely true, I think.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:42 PM   #649
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Finally finished reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
Hmmm. Eönwë's vote for Lommy came kind of out of the blue, and I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with it.
It wasn't really. Most of the people I most wanted as my Rep (other than phantom and Boro, who I was sure would have no need of extra votes- and no, I hadn't read page 15 yet so I didn't know that she'd already got 2 votes) wanted me dead. You don't have to be a wolf in order to not want to be lynched. And anyay, I wouldn't be doing my service to the village if I was going to get lynched instead of a wolf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
I'm listing everything they've said to and about each other in three parts.
I hope you had fun doing that.

x-ed with this page
Old 11-15-2008, 01:50 PM   #650
Ilya
Wight

Ilya has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Quote:
What I mean is, trying to avoid saying straight that you are new, although you make it quite clear in a more subtle way, looks suspicious to me. And it looks like you were trying to do just that. And it looks suspicious because you're trying to excuse your participating in a bandwagon (or any other suspicious thing you might do) by saying you're just a newbie.
Oh, ok. I get it. I wasn't trying to excuse my behavior by playing the new card, in fact that's why I didn't mention the newbie thing to begin with - because it could be seen as fishing for innocence. I said I jumped on the bandwagon because I was suspicious of Legate but I wasn't sure, and I trusted Boro, so I went with his vote. I mean, it's partly because I'm new and nervous about being perceived in a way that'll keep me around, but it was mostly because I suspected Legate and trusted Boro's judgement, and I think my posting reflects that. What were some of the subtle ways that I hinted at it?

As to the method thing, it had to do with keeping all the reps at the same level of voting power, ie. not end up in a situation where somebody has 6 and all the others have 2. Just, you know, being aware of spreading the wealth. I dunno what I would suggest for a method. I think we've been doing that without any formal rules or any such structure.

Quote:
What more is Ilya’s respons to accusations confuses me. . . sometimes I just have a hard time understanding what she means and have to read it over a few time and that might have gotten stuck in my mind and make me uneasy about her. She is fast to admit to playing it flip-flopping and other stuff, this could be a way of trying to kill the accusations before they become a major case.
People don't admit when they're wrong in this game? I was as wrong as wrong could be yesterday. I'm still making mistakes. You can talk about them for the rest of the day, and indeed no matter what I write I think that y'all will, but I'd rather have it on record that I admitted them when they were pointed out to me. I'll try and be clearer for you, Rune. Just tell me where it's muddled.

Last edited by Ilya; 11-15-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Ilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:54 PM   #651
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
I get it, but Boromir is better at explaining it.
Ah but since you said you didn't know what to make of his explanation I thought you hadn't understood it.

Eönwë, when I didn't vote for you yesterday, I said you could thank me by posting a list of your suspicions. Looking forward to it.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #652
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I'm here finally.

And I'm both baffled and flattered to have become a rep and an influential one too...

...too bad this village is confusing me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agan
Was phantom irresponsible and outrageous when he threw away his vote on Shasta? Are reps whose votes don't make a difference irresponsible? Why should a rep who votes no one be considered irresponsible if they are not?
Making a throwaway vote is making a statement and making a track, and also fulfilling one's duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie
I assume that the first sentence is supposed to be "has given me no reason to suspect her". Otherwise your thinking is a bit original..
Oh. Yes, that's right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp
So, do you not see the benefits that can be gained from taking the suspicions of others and logically answering them?
Not all suspicions can be answered logically. If I say I have a bad gut-feeling about you, what can you really say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
I think what Lommy is trying to say is while you are in no way whatsoever quiet, and there is no question you are the most vocal player, you're not overly committing towards any one way...well if that makes sense.
Or let me put it this way, you're around a lot, giving lots and lots of information but you're holding back a bit. Thus, you're "behind the scenes," you know...doing all the prep work.
Yes, that's more or less what I meant. Thanks for rephrasing it for Mr Fandom.

And since it has become an issue, I'll clarify something for you, tp and Boro - I don't think you would have primarily picked McCaber just to be sporty, unlike Nog or I could have done. I know you both have a sort of different approach. BUT I think you could have taken the approach I suggested too, in certain conditions. Like, for example, if you were feeling the game was going very well for you.

I think Ilya's defenses of herself have been relatively innocent toDay. She sounds far more genuine than yesterDay.

I have absolutely no idea what to think of Noggie. He seems paranoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta
What good points, Lommy? Point them out for me, cause I don't see any.
Hey, Shasta, was that just a banterish comment, or do you really want me to go through them and quote them for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë
As for the second, in WW people usually use slip to mean a Freudian Slip, so that confused me a bit. Do you just mean her confusion?
Confusion, yes, or maybe mis-statement would make a good word for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
Well, here I am.
I am honoured by the trust my (two) constituents have placed in me.
I give my word that during my time in office, I shall endeavour to be beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair!
...Oh, and I'll see if I can't manage to lynch a wolf while I'm about it.
Thank you.
I'm more and more convinced power drives people crazy in this village...

At this point of the game, my mind is full of horrible ideas, like tp, Boro and Nog being wolves together, or like said before, there being no wolves at all. But like I said already earlier, I'm going to be disappointed if that's the case...

PS. It's me, Nog and Greenie sharing a computer tonight...

edit: xed with everything on this pages and with Ilya's post on the previous one...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:59 PM   #653
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
What were some of the subtle ways that I hinted at it?
This was the thing I quoted in the post where I first mentioned it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya
It was safe, which I guess is why it looks wolfish. I would also propose it looks like a newbie who only wants to stay in the game long enough until she can get the hang of it, and then start alienating people, but I can't decide for you.
edit: xed with Loomie
Old 11-15-2008, 02:01 PM   #654
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Or maybe I didn't pick them out myself. But they do definitely exist. That part's definitely true, I think.
Sure you don't want to plead the fifth there Fea?

However we are working on the basis they exist - known knowns to us at least. To you they are known unknowns - unknown unknowns are at the Moddesses' discretion.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:07 PM   #655
Ilya
Wight

Shield

Ah. Yeah. You know, I was on the fence about whether to even write that or not. A cloying type thing but I decided to go for it. I was anxious about ending a thought with "and that looks wolfish," because then people would think I was trying to buy sympathy for admitting that I what did looked like a wolf move. Now I realize I don't have to cater my thoughts to you people.

Last edited by Ilya; 11-15-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Ilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:25 PM   #656
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
It appears I just closed a tab with my almost finished long post on it. I seems I'll have to redo it.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:34 PM   #657
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post

I'm more and more convinced power drives people crazy in this village...
Surprise surprise.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:44 PM   #658
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

More on Ilya

My earlier, rather incomplete case can be found here. I'm not going to discuss things already treated with there unless I have something new to add.

Ilya's been flip-flopping a bit. In 407 she said she will vote for the one she's the most suspicious of, but a little before she had noted she didn't want to vote anyone who already had a vote (including Legate). In 407 she explained her reasons for not wanting to vote those three people, though. The only person she mentioned apart from them was me (and my backing off of Lommy which parroted what a lot of other people had said etc etc), which, given the context, seems to suggest she was considering voting for me.

She admitted her Legate vote was bandwagoning, and said it looks fishy because it's safe, but she also suggested her newbieness might have to do with it. The latter was a remark I didn't particularly like but that's been discussed already. However, I just realised that one reason I didn't like it was that she doesn't play like one might expect a newbie to play but comes up with things herself and suspects people, at least to some extent.
Also, she kind of put the blame of her joining the bandwagon on Boro; "..to do exactly what Boro did to me yesterday: cast a vote with authority, and convince me to jump on the bandwagon."

She didn't know what to make of the Agan/Lommy brawl and feels there's something wrong in there. Also, she was suspicious of me for a reason she didn't know (later told she had found my reasons for voting Brinn for rep weird, especially that "she won't be the centre of attention" part, but they didn't feel as suspicious anymore now that she knew where her suspicions came from).

Ilya planned to vote Rune for rep, but when Lommy received three votes, she said she could vote Boro instead so there would be two people with three votes.

As for her suspicions today, she said that if Eönwë doesn't start posting with more substance she might get suspicious, she had a gut thing against me, Nog made her raise her eyebrows with his contradictory stuff, and she was not exactly suspicious but watchful towards Brinn. She voted the reasonable & reasonably funny Rune for rep.

Ilya is pretty quick to admit it if she has made mistakes (ie suspicious things). That's generally a good thing I guess, but Rune also had a valid point when he said
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune
She is fast to admit to playing it flip-flopping and other stuff, this could be a way of trying to kill the accusations before they become a major case.
I can agree with Lommy that Ilya has looked much more innocent today. However I have no idea if that is because her fellows have had a chance to give her advice in the night or if she's just got more used to the game. Her defense and the reasons she gave for the things she did look pretty genuine though, and she kept her cool pretty well even when accused.

I'm not very concerned about her right now. Still going to keep an eye on her, but I don't think I'm going to vote her.

edit: xed with Eönwë and Gwath
Old 11-15-2008, 02:46 PM   #659
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Okay. I'm in at last.

Hah, I overslept my choir-seminar with one hour in the morning due to playing this too late... I'm not going to let that happen tomorrow so I will post quite a less than normally (well, we're actually also sharing this computer threesome so anyway). But I will try to catch up with the latest to see if there's anything that would help right now.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:47 PM   #660
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I've seen a couple of comments referring to Ilya's vote as a bandwagon vote, and I felt that I should point out that it wasn't.

Legate had three votes. Eonwe and Gwath each had one.

There were only two Reps left to vote. (Ilya and I)

Therefore the only way our votes could have resulted in an outcome is if we both agreed to vote either Eonwe or Gwath and double lynch them along with Legate.

First- there was no chance of that (I wouldn't have agreed to it). Second, it wouldn't have been a good idea in the first place.

So, the conclusion-

Both Ilya and I had no true chance to vote yesterday, for the actions of the voters who came before us rendered our votes useless.

Say what you wish about her playing the "Newbie card". You could be right. But I see no reason to think about her vote. She didn't actually vote.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:03 PM   #661
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Hmm you're right phantom (and now it's me who should be blamed for not checking the facts before accusing ). However, Ilya seemed to make it quite clear that Legate was her main candidate.

Anyway I want a cup of tea now.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:06 PM   #662
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Anyway I want a cup of tea now.
I recommend blueberry rooibos.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #663
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Twining's Traditional Afternoon would be my suggestion or maybe Lady Grey...

Old 11-15-2008, 03:24 PM   #664
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
I recommend blueberry rooibos.
I'm not that much into rooibos - for some reason I always drink it when I'm about to get a cold, and now my mind links it to being sick. But blueberry rooibos sounds rather interesting since I love blueberries.
If I had had Lady Grey, I would probably have taken it, but now I have to do with some strange African tea which is good but tastes a bit like corn flakes.

I am going to review Nerwen's posts now.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:28 PM   #665
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Tea is a good idea. I've heard that it's harder to find WWs when you're thirsty.

I hope morm's having a good time watching his team. It's a tight game. They trail 14-10, but have the ball inside the ten.

As for your team Boro...

But it's okay, it's just one year. I'm sure MU will rise again.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:37 PM   #666
Ilya
Wight

Shield

Mmm, thinking of Earl Grey now or Irish Breakfast with milk.

I've started taking notes on morm and I'm reviewing Nerwen again as well, although my segmentation of Lifeboat is gonna come first. Should be back around 7ish. Mmmtea.

Agan, how to noobs usually act, then?
Old 11-15-2008, 03:40 PM   #667
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Ah I'm so sorry for being so late. We changed to Sky internet recently and it just keeps messing us around. I got spectacularly lost this morning thanks to the lack of internet and it's only just clonked back in in the last half an hour. So, hello! And wow to being a Rep. Guess you guys really went for the getting the quiet ones to talk strategy eh? Anyway, I am going to be around now for a few hours but I have a fair amount to catch up on as all I've done is review who the Reps are so far so I'll be quiet for a bit and then I'll be back with some thoughts.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:44 PM   #668
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
As for your team Boro...
I just can't wait for this upcoming week, when all I'm going to hear are the bragging Buckeyes.

Well since we seem to be temporarily adjourning for break, I guess I can go put the coffee on...wish I still had green tea.

Such a miserable day here too.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #669
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro in #602
You mean your answer to Gwath's contradictory vote? I stubbornly re-made it because you're answer to it was hogwash.
Balogna or hogwash, I still think you're grasping at straws here and yes, I still do wonder why. Gwath contradicting was the minor issue, the thought of his motives behind that contradiction were the major issue. Fullstop.

I'm going to end this debate on my half right here with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
This is strangely parroting Lommy and Agan from yesterday.
Indeed.

To other matters then, reading the thread forwards....

The fact that Gil didn't vote for a representative (or actually post other than that short row with Shasta) looks like he's an innocent. I suggest he should not be lynched. Had he a role he would have been a lot more engaged says my experience with him.

Hah, figure this: Nogrod is saying we should leave a submarine alive on the first Days!

But really, he doesn't have a role and couldn't care less it seems. So let's not waste a vote on him as he will still count on the tables and if this game turns out bad in the later stages we will need him as a number on our side even if he didn't post...

Some people seem to keep on questioning the rationale behind my vote for Boro as a rep so let me state this (once again ). On Day5 with a couple of wolves still around I would only vote as a representative those I really trusted the most were having the good of the village in their mind (unless there were some really special circumstances). But on these first Days the selection of the representatives is a different thing and it can be made a powerful tool to have a closer look on some people who wouldn't otherwise be forced to take responsibility and to make decisions - or to see how someone you suspect acts with power invested on her/him.

Remember that those decisions are the ones we can actually read afterwards when we're getting some solid information (eg. the first wolf dies, someone breaks a tie in favour of a known wolf in a suspicious manner, etc...). In this game only the representatives vote so we'll have a bunch of wolves there being just too happy not to be cast into the light of the scrutiny following from being a representative - or they could be forced to make decisions they'd rather not do.

I'm not saying Boro is one of those who wishes to lurk in the shades. Hah, anything but that. But what I'm saying is that we should use the representative-roles also as a way of looking at how people behave and what kind of mark they leave during these first Days when we can afford it. Those decisions can be read afterwards when we have some real knowledge.

Yes, but he could get me lynched you say? Yes he could. But I do think we should be ready to make certain sacrifices if that would help the village win *. Although I must say that looking at Boro's posting toDay looks better - and I have myself cooled down to be sure living some RL in between last night (RL) and this. So whatever way this turns out I think I made a good choice.

Nerwen's gigantic task of going through the discussion between myself and Boro made me first think she was trying to be a bit too helpful without actually contributing anything (and morm actually commented on that as well) but then I realised that if I had time in my hands and were not a party to the debate I might have done the same thing... So I don't think we can actually make a point on that.

I find it interesting that Boro backs tp up with saying "killing McCaber was not something tp would do - and tp says that killing McCaber doesn't smell like Boro... Paraphrasing Ilya *consider some eyebrows raised*

I need to take a break now. I'll see if Greenie or Lommy wishes to post meanwhile.

* and winning that way would be beautiful indeed...

Last edited by Nogrod; 11-15-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:59 PM   #670
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Benefits of an English Moddess ...

have cupboards full of the stuff *throws green tea at Boro and Lady Grey at Agan*
Chai anyone?

But personally I am ready for something stronger....

Old 11-15-2008, 03:59 PM   #671
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Sorry guys, I'm really just too tired to post anything now. I'm going to bed. I would have had the energy to post an hour ago, but no can do - three people playing WW on one computer has its disadvantages and so on. We'll see toMorrow, and good luck to the reps.

Good night and Night.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:04 PM   #672
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
But personally I am ready for something stronger...
With my inability to properly resolve the story I'm trying to write by deadline, I can't say I won't join you.

I fully intend to write poetry for tonight's narration. Fiction just ain't happening right now.

So give me something fun to poeticise pretty please, village.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:08 PM   #673
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Popping in

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
Tea is a good idea. I've heard that it's harder to find WWs when you're thirsty.
Yeah - I'm sure I want another cup soon. And everybody else talking about tea doesn't help.

Quote:
Agan, how to noobs usually act, then?
Despite going with Boro and such, I think you've been more independent than many new players are. I've seen many newbies pick some player whose opinions they trust almost blindly throughout the whole game, which you don't at least seem to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
have cupboards full of the stuff *throws green tea at Boro and Lady Grey at Agan*
Ooh thanks Mith, you're precious!

Now back to Nerwen.
I never get my analyses done because I become bored and refresh the thread every now and again.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:09 PM   #674
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Psst Fea...

They must realise by now that they are just here to amuse us mustn't they?

Old 11-15-2008, 04:17 PM   #675
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
They must realise by now that they are just here to amuse us mustn't they?~Mith
I could have easily amused both of you with a grand filibuster by now if I wasn't limitted to one. I need to use it to stop a known innocent from dying or to send a wolf to the gallows.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:30 PM   #676
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Well then, j'ai retourné.

My post was longer but now I'll just have t do it, in a short period of time and at great expense (35546 wight-pounds, that's 71092 wight-bucks for you Americans).

--------------

Ok, now to the main part of the post. Why did some reps with very little posts get picked and who picked them?

Phantom obviosuly doesn't count, as he is phantom and posts more than anyone else. He has the village in the palm of his hand. Of course, even he is in the hands of the Modesses.
Boro posts 26 posts, so I won't focus on him.
Nogrod had 15 posts, but was definately still a large presence.
Legate posted 17 posts and was definately not a submarine.

Ilya made 4 posts then. But she is new, so no-one knows how she plays werewolf it's okay to give her a chance to see what she can do, what sort of stuff she's made of. She also seemed pretty innocent.
It's these next ones that worry me.

Brinniel makes 11 posts. Almost all her posts are one liners. In one she comments on the discussion of restriction of reps, and she has one other substantial post. You can see her posts here.

But let's see what the people who voted for her said:

Aganzir votes on general principles. She says she votes Brinn because Brinn probably won't get many votes, and Agan finds her trustworthy most of the time (as well as sometimes suspicious). She then goes on to say that she wants to spread out executive power.

My guess is that she hopes that Brinn turns out to be innocent, and then if she is then she can be a voice of reason. So, it is faith and hope in Brinn's innocence. When she voted, Brnin, had only made 4 posts. The first is connected with discussing how mant reps there should be. Next there are two one liners and a post count. How is that enough to decide whether she should be a rep? I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with anything about Brinn, what I'm saying is she didn't really give much information. She didn't say what she thought of anyone, and those posts aren't really enough (in my mind anyway) to see whether she's innocent or not. These are her posts if you're interested:

Greenie votes next, saying that she finds Brinn sensible, innocent, ans knows she will now become a rep because of the vote.

Now Greenie has given us a list, and said that she likes Brinn and votes for her. She is one of the players she agrees with and likes, and at least this way she is sure to get someone she wants to be a represntative. There is still the element of hope, though.

Next up: Aganzir. She gives two posts and goes away. They don't contain anything really substantial except a vote and a comment on her not being around at the deadline. It seems a consequence of RL that she posted less than normal, so I'n not blaming her. Here are her posts: Post 1 and Post 2. So who voted her then...

Shasta votes, almost out of the blue, and doesn't give a good reason (or any, for that matter).

I don't really know what to think about this, except that he's probably just voting based on past experiences.

Brinn votes, saying that she wants to spread out votes. Understandable.

Well, this whole thing has shown me that a lot of hope and faith in the players was involved in these votes, but then again, that is sort of the idea. If we were certain of everyone's roles it just wouldn't be as fun. It has also made me much less suspicious of the voters of these two, and it seems I under-estimated the number of peoples' posts (and at first I forgot that the Deadline crossed into the next day for me.

Ok, well I'll leave you for now. I'd better catch up on all the posts I missed while writing this.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:35 PM   #677
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Thoughts on people:

Shasta - I really do think he's a frustrated innocent. The last time I remember him being this cross he turned out to be a good guy and I don't think he's the type to use that as a ploy. I know what people mean about him talking a lot but somehow not getting anything from those posts. It's like . . . he's there but you almost don't remember it. However, I don't think that's a bad thing because there is substance in those posts and that means that if he is killed because a wolf thinks it's safe there is often a lot of information to be gained if you then go back and look at them.

phantom - Noisy! So, so noisy. And I can never fully trust him. Actually even with the full and certain knowledge that he was an innocent I doubt I'd fully trust him! As it is though I find myself not bristling at every comment which is how I usually am. That does make me feel more confident in the fact that he might be innocent.

morm - he's flown under my radar a bit but I suspect that's because he's one of these that makes quite long posts and my currently slightly limited time does force me to skim read a bit so I'm probably just missing the substance that he is putting in there. Ooh, though actually he did say that thing about phantom being overly silly. My feeling on that is that if phantom is playing up he's not anything that matters.

Brinn - now I'm not convinced about Brinn. She's one I really do want to take a close look at.

Ilya - surprisingly another one I haven't got much from. Her name has been bandied about all over the place and she's a presence and yet I don't feel to have any kind of read of her.

Sally - pretty quiet actually. Where are the mad posts we're used to? That's a bit odd I must say.

Nerwen - again another I've not got anything on. This is really quite bad. I knew I'd been rushed but I hadn't realised that I'd missed out whole people!

Gwath - as I recall I feel pretty good about Gwath. Oh maybe not actually, that bit about maybe voting for himself was odd.

Ka - her usual self I think, playing around, which again makes me feel pretty good about her.

Boro - ah Boro. I'm suspicious of him. I'm not sure why, it's a bit like yesterDay where I skimmed the thread and just came to the immediate conclusion that Greenie and Eonwe were wolves. There's no actual reason but still it feels right. My problem with feeling like that about Boro is that I'm just always suspicious of him in the early Days so I'd be inclined to take that conclusion with a pinch of salt.

Lommy - do you know what I'm still alright with her. I think I'm turning into Rune, decide what a person is early on and then just damn well stick with that conclusion til the bitter end! The arguments with her and Agan paint her in a good light I think because she remains pretty calm and if she does react it's usually after pretty intense provocation!

Nog - Now this is a really bizarre thing ... I have no opinion on him, and that's just unheard of with me and Nog. I suspect it's because I think he's innocent and I can't bear to believe that! But there you go.

Legate - ah what to do about Legate? I read one post I think he's innocent, I read the next I think he's guilty. I'm going to have to reserve judgement on him for now.

Agan - she is very, very determined this game. Thing is I do play with Agan a fair amount and yet she always seems slightly separate somehow. I don't have any understanding of her usual style of play. Is this ... well, almost persecution of a person like with Lommy normal with her?

Eonwe - we know my feelings on that, I'm going to run through his posts in a minute and see if I can work out why.

Greenie - see Eonwe!

Rune - seems his usual self at the moment. I'm feeling alright about him.

Right I think I've worked out how I feel about almost everyone. Anyone I said I want to take a closer look at I will be posting that up soon. I'm doing it as I go but there are a LOT of pages to get through!
Old 11-15-2008, 04:38 PM   #678
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
I could have easily amused both of you with a grand filibuster by now if I wasn't limitted to one. I need to use it to stop a known innocent from dying or to send a wolf to the gallows.
I was this close to using mine yesterday, and I would have if not for two things.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:46 PM   #679
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I am here and I must admit I have little idea who to vote. (See, here's your three-vote representative. But hey, actually, feel free to lobby. I'm going to sleep sometime soonish, but not yet in a while.)

I could consider voting
Aganzir
Eönwë
Gil-Galad
Gwathagor
Ilya
mormegil
Nogrod
Sally
Shasta
The Ka
the phantom

I wouldn't vote (yet)
Boro
Brinniel
Greenie
Kath
Nerwen
Rune

My problem is that the three I suspect the most right now are the phantom, morm and Nogrod. And although I have kind of got rid of the way of thinking that you need exceptionally good reasons to lynch a veteran loudmouth ( ) it would feel silly to lynch one after that was already done with not-so-spectacular results yesterDay. Or actually, I think it's just that I think I suspect them simply because they have caught my attention by making such a show by being loud and aggressive.

I'm leaning to give Ilya the benefit of doubt for now, and maybe Aganzir also. For some reason, I feel a little reluctant to lynch Shasta too even though he has failed to convince me of his innocence.

So maybe I'll vote sally, Eönwë, Gil or Gwath semi-randomly. But somehow it doesn't sound too good either. I would otherwise seriously consider Ka, but I wonder if she'd vote me for a rep after I had listed her in my suspicious category if she was a wolf...

edit: xed with Eönwë, Kath and Shasta
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:48 PM   #680
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
Shasta too even though he has failed to convince me of his innocence.
I wasn't aware you suspected me.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote