The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2001, 11:06 PM   #1
mordor136
Wight

mordor136 has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Galadriel and Bilbo

One question. Did it scare you when Bilbo did that really quick fang and big eyes thing in Rivendell. I used to admire Galadriel, but now I have an image of her with her arms outspread, eyes black, and almost ghostlike. GREAT MOVIE!!!!!
Old 12-22-2001, 12:26 AM   #2
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Bilbo changing like that was a shocker, I wasn't expecting that. I didn't care for what they did with Galadriel, and the part was over emulated. Poor Celeborn only had one line and sounded like he was out of the ballpark.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 02:15 AM   #3
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Made it pretty scary - to emphasize it's the ring that's evil, not the Bilbo, or anyone else tempted by it I imagine. Not neccessary I think, not with actors of that calibre, Ian Holm and Cate Blanchett could have made it clear. I wistfully wonder what it would be like to see those portions acted instead of CGI'd. Still, I'm not going to second guess Peter Jackson tremendous effort, I'm sure he agonized over those kinds of calls, concerned it could be misunderstood by those who hadn't read the books. Can you imagine if it hadn't been clear, the posts about "how evil is Bilbo and Galadriel"?<p>[ December 22, 2001: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 12-22-2001, 09:48 AM   #4
Zippo
Animated Skeleton

Zippo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Zippo
Pipe

I thought when bilvo changed he looked cool, but when Galadriel put her arms out she looked stupid.
Old 12-22-2001, 03:25 PM   #5
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin
Haunting Spirit

Tarlondeion Of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Galadriel looked Evil, really Evil. I thought she would actually try to steal the Ring. I always imagined Bilbo went like that but it was still a shocker. But Galadriel I won't think about her the same way again, in the Silm she seems like such a great and wonderful princess of the Noldor and then!
Tarlondeion Of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 12:35 AM   #6
Maltagaerion
Haunting Spirit

Maltagaerion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think they were trying to convey what would happen to Galadriel, how great and terrible she would become if she took the ring, a glimpse into the future, if you will, had she chosen that path.<P>The thing with Bilbo was certainly unexpected, made me jump a little bit. I wonder if we will see something similar happen to Frodo down the line as the ring slowly corrupts him?<p>[ December 23, 2001: Message edited by: Maltagaerion ]
Old 12-23-2001, 11:48 AM   #7
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Bilbo's reaction was very good, but Galadriel...well, that was a bit overdone. But I agree with Marileangorifurnimaluim, (good thing that you have such a short name, otherwise people might have trouble spelling it... ) Peter Jackson must've had reasons to do it that way. I think he wanted people who haven't read the books to understand that Galadriel isn't just some beautiful elf woman, he really is a great queen, and how hard it was to her to reject the ring knowing who she could become by using it.
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 08:48 AM   #8
Squidgy

Pipe

Did not like that bit of the movie, completly the opposite to how I read it. Lothlorien should have been magical, with Gladriels beauty highlighted by the illumination of her ring. For me the movie could have been so much better.
Old 12-30-2001, 11:34 PM   #9
Snowflake
Pile O'Bones

Snowflake has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Snowflake
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Nenya:<BR><STRONG>I think Bilbo's reaction was very good, but Galadriel...well, that was a bit overdone.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Exactly!!<BR>