The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-27-2000, 06:08 PM   #1
The Westward Road

Ring Olorin in the First and Second Ages?..any thoughts

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Newly Deceased
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
In the Simarillion, more specifically the valaquenta, there is a section called &quot;Of the Maiar.&quot;
It tells us the story of Olorin learning pity and patience..etc, but it also says, &quot;But of Olorin that tale (the QS) does not speak; for though he loved the elves, he walked among them unseen, or in form as one of them, and they did not know whence came the fair visions or the promptings of wisdom that he put in their hearts.&quot; It then goes on to describe his role as the kindler of hearts during the third age and the War of the Ring. I love this paticular passage because it shows Olorin fighting the darkness long before he took up the guise of Gandalf and the mission of the Istari. I know this might be a add on by CT, but I feel this really might be JRRT's real description of Olorin.
I think it would be fun to speculate when and where Olorin might have been giving fair visions and wisdom to the eldar of the first and second ages. Could he have been in Idrhils group fleeing Gondolin, or in any of the Battles of Bereiland. I could speculate forever.

The Westward Road

</p>