The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-16-2002, 11:15 PM   #1
Nova
Pile O'Bones

Nova has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Nova Send a message via AIM to Nova
Sting What to do with these gift cards...

Well, I'm really a sort of laid-back LotR superfreak -- my level of admiration and love for the trilogy is mind-numbing, but my knowledge of the world and history of Middle-Earth is...well, much greater than most people's, to be certain, but not as extensive as I'd like. And I've got about $60 in gift cards for bookstores, so...

Could somebody go through the other Tolkien-made Middle Earth books? Like the Silmarillion, and what, two or three others? I know you can't really summarize the plot of things like that, but if you could give me an idea of what's in them, that would be nice, too. All the stores are in Tolkien-hyperdrive around here, so I may actually be able to find what I'm looking for...

Thanks in advance.

"Now come, you filth! You've hurt my master, you brute, and you'll pay for it. We're going on; but we'll settle with you first. Come on, and taste it again!"

"If I'm to go on, then I must take your sword, by your leave, Mr. Frodo, but I'll put this one to lie by you, as it lay by the old king in the barrow; and you've got your beautiful mithril coat from old Mr. Bilbo. And your star-glass, Mr. Frodo, you did lend it to me and I'll need it, for I'll be always in the dark now. It's too good for me, and the Lady gave it to you, but maybe she'd understand. Do you understand, Mr. Frodo? I've got to go on."

-Nova
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 11:30 PM   #2
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Silmarillion: A must read, the history of the first age

The Unfinished Tales: The Silm does not have much actual narration in it; The Unfinished Tales contains some of the stories in narrative form. Its got some other tales that do not appear in other books as well. My personal favorite story from this book is the story of Tuor and his journey to Gondolin

The History of Middle Earth: If you think you know everything there is to know about Tolkien you are wrong. There are 12 volumes and they are a very heavy read (I'm reading them now and can bairly get through book 2) and contains a great deal of info about Middle Earth.

If you still want to know more about Tolkien you can pick up the letters of Tolkien, Tolkien answers some of the questions that come up during your study of Middle Earth (I don't own this book, but I borrow it from a friend of mine every now and then). I hear the Atlas of Middle Earth is a real nice book also. Its got alot of maps and traces the journey of Frodo and the rest of the fellowship. You can always read Sir Gwain and the Green Knight or The Tales of Tom Bombadillo also. Read the Silmarillion first, then the Unfinished Tales. After that just pick a book and read it. I don't know the names of each individual book in the History of Middle Earth series but on page 4 or 5 of Books 2 there is a post titled HoME question that I started. In it there is a list of the names of each of the 12 books.

[ February 17, 2002: Message edited by: Thingol ]
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 12:10 AM   #3
Nova
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Thank you very much!

"Now come, you filth! You've hurt my master, you brute, and you'll pay for it. We're going on; but we'll settle with you first. Come on, and taste it again!"

"If I'm to go on, then I must take your sword, by your leave, Mr. Frodo, but I'll put this one to lie by you, as it lay by the old king in the barrow; and you've got your beautiful mithril coat from old Mr. Bilbo. And your star-glass, Mr. Frodo, you did lend it to me and I'll need it, for I'll be always in the dark now. It's too good for me, and the Lady gave it to you, but maybe she'd understand. Do you understand, Mr. Frodo? I've got to go on."

-Nova
Old 02-18-2002, 07:50 PM   #4
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Atlas of ME is also a good one! Can I spend your gift cards? LOL!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2002, 08:52 AM   #5
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I'm glad I found this thread! I wondering pretty well the same thing! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 09:03 PM   #6
Nova
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Hah! MY gift cards!

I think a few of my adult friends have copies of the atlas...

-Nova
Old 02-21-2002, 01:45 AM   #7
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would say, The Silmalarion, Unfinished Tales and the History of Middle Earth.

When I get enough money, I'm buying HoME.

I wish I had a few friends to give me gift cards to a book store. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote