The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2004, 04:47 PM   #1
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril Adűnaic Name Generator

We have added the Adűnaic language to the Name Generator. Have fun.

P.S. Read the disclaimer before complaining that it "isn't a real translation".

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 07-13-2009 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Fixed the link
The Barrow-Wight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 07:09 PM   #2
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

*applauds*

Love it...having so many names to choose from is wonderful!! Unfortunately, you had some fun with the types of race or creature of Middle-Earth you could receive. I have been a Loathsome Warg for years now. Very unfortunate. But I like Abraeke, my Adűnaic name. Not to be picky, but...could this be translated somewhere on the site? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 09:48 PM   #3
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Very cool. But how did you find all the Adunaic roots, BW? That must have been a lot of work. Not like you don't always put a lot of work into the site. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 12:25 AM   #4
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know this will make me look like an idiot... But what exactly is the Adűnaic language? To what race does it belong too?
Old 01-23-2004, 01:36 AM   #5
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Adűnaic is the tongue of the Protoss, the first race created by the Xel-naga...oops, wrong story! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Here it is:

Adűnaic The language of Númenor. It came from the original of the people of Hador, who never forgot their mother tongue despite learning the noble tongue(Sindarin). And from it came the Westron tongue, the comon tongue of Middle-earth.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 10:46 AM   #6
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Very cool, BW. I like my Adűnaic name, Nakâda. I typed in my friend's name, and came up with Gimilzôr! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 01-23-2004, 10:48 AM   #7
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

Sharkű compiled the word roots used for the Adűnaic names, so the credit goes to him.

I'm glad to see that people are enjoying this latest addition to the Downs.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:05 PM   #8
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Hmm... Nuzîritur, I rather like the sound of that. It sounds all Dark-Lord-ish. Very spiffy generator, BW! This site just keeps getting better and better!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 12:06 PM   #9
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

Wow, that's so interesting. My name is
Nîlűkhô, all the accents are confusing but it's fasinating. Thanks Sharku for the list and thanks BW for the add on. My friends (non-BDers) love the name generator. They're not total Tolkien lovers like me, but they love the names they can get out of the generator.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 03:20 AM   #10
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Ooh...Saphadtur, interesting name. I wonder what it means... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Sorry, I was talking to myself.

I agree with Ainaserkewen...thanks, Sharku! If not for the name generator, I would not be here in the forum. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 02:56 AM   #11
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Quote:
If not for the name generator, I would not be here in the forum.
I nod my head to that as well! I was born (or rather, died) into this place because of the name generator. Thanks, Sharku! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 01:58 AM   #12
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thorongil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Thorongil
I got Zâirsîn. Whatever that is.

Btw, It says I'm a pockmarked Nazgul. Does anybody know what pockmarked is? I didn't find it in the dictionary.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:01 PM   #13
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
If not for the name generator, I would not be here in the forum. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [/B]
Same here...

Banâthlak: Hmmm...reminds me a bit of Ben Afleck (sp?) whom I despise...but that's OK. I can always search under something else.

Zadnunaseke: This is another one I got from a variation of the order of my full name...

Ennarasâru: ...And this is another. I think this is my fave.

Oh, and thanks a ton to Sharku and the B-W!!! This is awesome!!!
Old 03-07-2004, 12:49 PM   #14
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dűm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

Quote:
Originally posted by Thorongil
Btw, It says I'm a pockmarked Nazgul. Does anybody know what pockmarked is? I didn't find it in the dictionary.
Pockmarked means: 'marked by scars or marks caused by smallpox or acne'. Hehehe! You're a Nazgűl with acne!

I got Aglahadtrahanű. Nice and long. : I think I'll stick to Fëa.

~Fëa
ArwenBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 12:07 AM   #15
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thanks for helping
Now i'm a health hazard
Old 03-08-2004, 03:16 PM   #16
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dűm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

Haha . You're welcome.

I tried another variation of my name and got Eárňhű. I like that too!

~Fëa
ArwenBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 04:18 AM   #17
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

That seems a little more manageable. All these names are a bit funny aren't they?
Old 07-09-2009, 07:30 AM   #18
Heaven Net
Newly Deceased

Heaven Net is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Adűnaic Name Generator

Type your full name in the box to discover your true Middle-earth names according to the Red Book of Westmarch.

In Middle-earth, The Generator was a Tired Stoor. His Elven Name is Perlanthirion. His Hobbit name is Samwise Muddyfoot from theMarish. His Dwarven name is Kili Copperfist. His Orkish name is Golmazh the Crippler and his Adűnaic name is Ezendizôrnas.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:53 AM   #19
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Welcome to the Downs, Heaven Net!

But tell me, why the anagram? Would not your actual name, Heaven ENT, have been more Tolkienesque?

By the way, may I suggest Ar-Spâmbôtôr as your Adűnaic name? It just seems so... I don't know... so you, somehow.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:12 AM   #20
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
A quick note--the link to the Name Generator in the first post is no longer working.

Quote:
The requested URL /middleearthname.asp was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:38 PM   #21
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
A quick note--the link to the Name Generator in the first post is no longer working.
But this will work...

And you not only get the Adűnaic name but also others - tested Barrow-Downs quality page!

Here's what I got when writing my Finnish name as it is...

Now according to the Red Book of Westmarch I am a Respected Half-elf by name of Teleplambe or Teleplambeion.

Would I be a hobbit, I would be Ferumbras Headstrong from The Far Downs.

As dwarf I would be Náin Poolwater, as an orc Ghazwúrz the Meek...

And last but not least, in Adűnaic I would be Hikalkhazîr

Maybe I should try making my last name in English as it actually means something - the first name sadly doesn't and is thus outside the scope of any reasonable "tranlations"...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:31 AM   #22
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Nogrod, there is no actual translation involved - the Downs name generator functions on a random principle. Sorry - I know some people would like their name with the same meaning in Elvish, and there is a website that has done something like that. I'll try to find it.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:43 AM   #23
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Here's an earlier post by Gordis with lots of name-related links:
Names, names, names
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 07-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #24
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
But this will work...
Thanks for the working link, Nogrod. Perhaps some Admin or Mod could use that to correct the faulty link in the first post? It will be more easily found in the first post than in a lone subsequent post, I would think.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:26 AM   #25
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Yes, thanks for the correct link, Nogrod; I edited the first post in this thread to correct it. It's now working.