The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > The New Silmarillion > Translations from the Elvish - Public Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2015, 07:39 AM   #1
Arvegil145
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arvegil145 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting *The New Shadow & Tal-Elmar - to be or not to be?*

I know you guys are busy with the Elder Days, but I simply could not get off my thought those two stories - and I think that they need a definitive yes or no.

The New Shadow

This is by far the most problematic of Tolkien's stories.

He EXPLICITLY abandoned that story...but it was only because he felt that the "magic" from the Elder Days had gone by that time. But this is in no way a sufficient reason (at least for me) to not include it into our work.

Besides, it gives us a rare glimpse of the Fourth Age in the narrative sense.

So my vote is an adamant yes.

Tel-Elmar

With this story there is nothing wrong - Tolkien did never explicitly rejected it. Only problem that lies with it (as with "The New Shadow" too) is that it was left unfinished - but considering that almost all Tolkien's story were left unfinished I think that that fact alone does not necessitate its exclusion.

So my vote is, again, an adamant yes.

I wanted to start a discussion on this because otherwise this project would last for about 200 years.

Again - the purpose of this thread is to decide whether these stories should be kept (or at least one of them).
Arvegil145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:48 PM   #2
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Arvegil145, I think you either will learn som Patient or you leave this project sooner or later.

In my oppinion it makes no sens to take such a decission on points not very general. About making this a round earth or a flat earth version, you have to take this eraly on and with trying out both first. The same can be argued about including Ælfwine as a frame story. But about a tale in which we all see some issues it is allway better to try and see if it works or not.

That I would try I have already posted about [b]Tal-Elmar[b].

About The New Shadow I have some more doubts: Beside the fact that there is nearly nothing to finish the tale even in the shortes way, I think that to include a tale of the fourth Age would mean to include the end of the thrid Age, meaning the The Hobbit and The Lord of the Ring. LotR might be easy since there is not much debatable in it, but The Hobbit? How to deal with the radical 1960 revision which was never used?
Anyhow the project as imagin here was never planed to include these two Major publications of JRR Tolkien himself. In that way a definite decision here and now would mean a major enlargement of the project. But the Project seems to have enough Problems to handle even its actual scoop. If an enlargement is to come, than in the moment we can see the end of the actual scoop more clearly.

Respectfuly
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:57 PM   #3
Arvegil145
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye

Quote:
About The New Shadow I have some more doubts: Beside the fact that there is nearly nothing to finish the tale even in the shortes way, I think that to include a tale of the fourth Age would mean to include the end of the thrid Age, meaning the The Hobbit and The Lord of the Ring. LotR might be easy since there is not much debatable in it, but The Hobbit? How to deal with the radical 1960 revision which was never used?
Anyhow the project as imagin here was never planed to include these two Major publications of JRR Tolkien himself. In that way a definite decision here and now would mean a major enlargement of the project. But the Project seems to have enough Problems to handle even its actual scoop. If an enlargement is to come, than in the moment we can see the end of the actual scoop more clearly.
Why not include both The Hobbit (1937) and The Lord of the Rings, maybe even The Adventures of Tom Bombadil and The Road Goes Ever On?

Why not make a complete story of Arda? After all, Tolkien intended to publish "The Silmarillion" ALONG with the LOTR.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
Arvegil145
Shade of Carn Dûm

I also posted this thread because I finished both of the stories and I would like, at some point, to start a thread on them to discuss certain things.

Cheers!