The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > The New Silmarillion > Translations from the Elvish - Public Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2015, 05:29 AM   #121
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
After preforming the comparison between our Valaquenta-text and that of LQ1/2 and Sil77. I found out that Arvegil145 was reffering to a passages in what will become Of the Begining of Time, when he said that we have to change the 7 great once.

Well that makes think easier. I think at this point the narative we will simply delet the passages and I have incooperated that change into my draft.

About Of the coming of the Elves: well, as said before, making a draft is easy but does not prove that it will be found incooperatable by the group. I am not going to produce my draft here right now. This is clearly the wrong place and it is the wrong time as I am already spend to much time on the other activities here. The chapter is a wild mixture of text from very diffrent sources. I had to changes tens often in MT passages, but I was never forced to rewrite a sentence. But I did not use these passages as solid block.

Respectfuly
Findegil

Last edited by Findegil; 09-08-2015 at 05:42 AM.
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #122
gondowe
Wight

gondowe has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvegil145 View Post
I am asking because I did not. I DID want to include it, and I thought it pitiable that it was excluded from my version - however, as much as I wanted, I could not find a way to incorporate it without resorting to a heavy rewording - basically, when I was finished revising it, I realized there were more words and sentences coming from me than from Tolkien - hence, I excluded it. I know this thread isn't exactly the best place to debate Of the Coming of the Elves but I am very curious about your version - maybe it could still be salvaged.
I agree with you, at last there must be very much rewording, so it's better not to include it.

As for the Aratar and Yavanna and Varda I had the "correct" status in my project (eight and not sisters), but we have to retake the chapters to make common texts, it's a very hard work.

Greetings
gondowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:55 PM   #123
Arvegil145
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arvegil145 has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gondowe View Post
I agree with you, at last there must be very much rewording, so it's better not to include it.

As for the Aratar and Yavanna and Varda I had the "correct" status in my project (eight and not sisters), but we have to retake the chapters to make common texts, it's a very hard work.

Greetings
Greetings to you as well, gondowe!

I am of opinion that certain essays found in the Myths Transformed should be included in Volume III of TftE, but I will try again, nonetheless, to incorporate the alternative version of The War for the Sake of the Elves.

Also, I will post an outline for the second and third volume of TftE as soon as I am available.
Arvegil145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:13 PM   #124
gondowe
Wight

gondowe has just left Hobbiton.
I could say that everything, every text, that, in my opinion could be used, was used by me. But inserted in the corpus of the First Age volume. Except that Of Aman ( that is time undefinible), I don´t remember now any text usable in the third volume.

Greetings
gondowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:04 PM   #125
Findegil
King's Writer

Posted by Arvegil:
Quote:
I will try again, nonetheless, to incorporate the alternative version of The War for the Sake of the Elves.
Doing this would nearly forsure generate a lot of unneccessary work of comparision once we come to discuss that chapter. If you are really that much interrested in that particular chapter we can take it as the next item to work on and I can put forward my draft here as soon as I find some time (probabaly in the Long run of next week).

Respectfuly
Findegil
Old 09-12-2015, 08:56 AM   #126
Arvegil145
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arvegil145 has just left Hobbiton.
Also, have you included Morwë and Nurwë in The Coming of the Elves?
Arvegil145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:08 PM   #127
Findegil
King's Writer

Yes, I included Morwë and Nurwë, so I think this will need discussuion once we reach that point.

Respectfuly
Findegil
Old 02-11-2019, 06:28 PM   #128
gandalf85
Wight

gandalf85 has just left Hobbiton.
It's pretty crazy how old this thread is and how long this project has been ongoing. I read through the Ainulindale chapter, I only have minor comments.

1) In §20 the "flame imperishable" is lowercase. This is how it is in Morgoth's Ring, but everywhere Tolkien capitalized it. I think we should capitalize it here to be consistent.

2) In §26 there is a reference to "the Eä". It looks like this was changed from "the World". I can't find any instances of Tolkien using "the" before Eä, I think we should remove "the".
gandalf85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #129
Findegil
King's Writer

Quote:
It's pretty crazy how old this thread is ...
To be sure this is by fare not the oldest thread!

I agree to both changes. Just to make it easier to find ‘the Eä’ is in §23 not §26.

Respectfully
Findegil
Old 02-13-2019, 07:50 PM   #130
gandalf85
Wight

gandalf85 has just left Hobbiton.
Oops, yes I meant §23.
gandalf85 is offline   Reply With Quote