The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > The New Silmarillion > Translations from the Elvish - Public Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
gondowe
Wight

gondowe has just left Hobbiton.
Have you read or the intention to read Arda Reconstructed

In my presentation I wrote that I was expecting for this book. But now I wonder if Douglas Kane, had access to the whole (or more or less) original manuscripts or only managed the published books and essays, like us.

What do you think about this question?

Greetings.

Last edited by gondowe; 04-30-2009 at 04:06 PM.
gondowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
Aran e-Godhellim
Haunting Spirit

Aran e-Godhellim has just left Hobbiton.
I am unaware of any book by this title. What is it?
Aran e-Godhellim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:15 PM   #3
gondowe
Wight

I know of it's publication for April of this year more or less a year ago.
You can search in google but more or less explain how was constructed the published Silmarillion by CRT. Which sources, inventions, editing, etc, and it could be interesting if the author Douglas Kane (or I think Voronwë the Faithful) had managed original sources.

It's near what are we doing.

Greetings
Old 04-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aran e-Godhellim View Post
I am unaware of any book by this title. What is it?
It's on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Arda-Reconstru.../dp/0980149630

The product info says;
Quote:
In "Arda Reconstructed: The Creation of the Published Silmarillion", Douglas C. Kane reveals a tapestry woven by Christopher Tolkien from different portions of his father's work that is often quite mind-boggling, with inserts that seemed initially to have been editorial inventions shown to have come from some remote portion of Tolkien's vast body of work. He demonstrates how material that was written over the course of more than thirty years was merged together to create a single, coherent text. He also makes a frank appraisal of the material omitted by Christopher Tolkien (and in a couple of egregious cases the material invented by him) and how these omissions and insertions may have distorted his father's vision of what he considered - even more then "The Lord of the Rings" - to be his most important work. It is a fascinating portrait of a unique collaboration that reached beyond the grave.
It looks a tad out of my price range, through.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:45 PM   #5
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I was also unaware of this book, but it's at the top of my list now. Looks very interesting - I wonder particularly about the "inserts that seemed initially to have been editorial inventions shown to have come from some remote portion of Tolkien's vast body of work".
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
Aran e-Godhellim
Haunting Spirit

I agree, Aiwendil. It sounds most intriguing.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:38 PM   #7
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Pile O'Bones

Voronwë_the_Faithful has just left Hobbiton.
Greetings!

Hi folks. Yes Voronwë the Faithful does in fact equal Douglas Kane, and Arda Reconstructed is in fact, my book.

gondowe, to answer your question, no I did not have access to the original manuscripts, only the material published in HoMe, UT, CoH, LotR, Letters, and Words, Phrases, and Passages, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil
I wonder particularly about the "inserts that seemed initially to have been editorial inventions shown to have come from some remote portion of Tolkien's vast body of work".
Aiwendil, examples of that type of thing include a few passages that were taken directly from things included in BOLT that never reappeared, things taken from different essays like Quendi and Eldar, Of Dwarves and Men, the Shibboleth, the Problem of Ros, etc., and passages that were moved from different places (e.g., passages from the Grey Annals inserted into parts of the story that otherwise were covered in the Annals of Aman and the corresponding portion of the Quenta, and otherwise moved around in strange ways). And in one case a passage that seems to have been derived from one the Letters.

Hope that helps. If any of you are Mythlore subscribers there will be a review of the book in the upcoming issue, and there also will be one in this years Tolkien Studies. And you can get more information about the book at www.arda-reconstructed.com

Hookbill, I was disappointed that the publisher set the list price so high, but the reason was that the extensive tables tracing the source material were very time-consuming to set. But I do think those tables provide a very valuable recourse, particularly for this group of folks! And at least Amazon is selling it at a significant discount of 28%.

Cheers to all!

Last edited by Voronwë_the_Faithful; 04-22-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Voronwë_the_Faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:55 AM   #8
gondowe
Wight

Hi Voronwë

I was expecting for your book but when I knew al last of its publication it was out of stock, and I decided to wait, but I see it is now in stock again. So now I'm goint to wait the availability of Sigurd and Gudrun to buy both books now.

What do you think about our projects (mine in Spanish).

Greetings.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:07 AM   #9
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Pile O'Bones

Hi gondowe!

I haven't examined the projects here in great detail yet, but they look very impressive. You all are looking at things from kind of the opposite side than I did. I didn't set out to create an expanded or complete Silmarillion, just to examine in detail exactly how the published version was created. Although I do express a number of opinions about what I thought should or should not have been included, and about the effect that some of the editorial decisions had on the final product. Some of those opinions are likely to prove to be (and in fact already have been proven to be) somewhat controversial.

Hopefully the book will continue to stay in stock, although as you have noted Amazon has seemed to have had difficulty in keeping up with the demand. If Amazon doesn't have it available when you are ready to buy it, you may want to check other sources such as Barnes & Noble. They have had in stock pretty consistently for a couple of months now (and they just increased their discount so that it almost matches Amazon's).
Old 04-23-2009, 08:36 AM   #10
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Hi Voronwe - thanks for the information. I plan on ordering your book very soon; it sounds quite interesting - and useful. I frequently find myself puzzling over the source of some passage or other in the published Silmarillion, and a work that lays out the sources will probably save me many a hunt through HoMe.

I'm also interested to hear (or read) your opinions on some of Christopher Tolkien's editorial decisions. While I think I speak for everyone involved in the project here when I say that we have tremendous respect for Christopher Tolkien's scholarship, dedication, and sheer effort in bringing forth and elucidating his father's work, it was partially dissatisfaction with some of his decisions in the published Silmarillion that led us to embark on the project.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:19 AM   #11
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Pile O'Bones

I think it is fair to say that that is fairly close to my feelings as well, with the added caveat that hindsight is 20/20, and that it because of Christopher's tireless efforts that we have the benefit of a far more organized and detailed understanding of the source material than he had at the time that he produced the published Silmarillion.

I will be particularly interested to hear what you and your colleagues think of the book, Aiwendil. I think it is fair to say that y'all are among the small group of people that have looked at the source material with the same kind of intensity that I have, albeit for a somewhat different purpose.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #12
Aran e-Godhellim
Haunting Spirit

Thank you for going to the trouble of making an account just to answer a few questions about your book! I look forward to reading it sometime soon. (hopefully) It sounds very interesting.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #13
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Pile O'Bones

Once I became aware that the questions had been asked, it would have been rude not to respond! I have been accused of many things, but discourtesy is not one of them.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #14
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
very cool. I thought at firstIhad read your book Voronwe [as Imentioned in a private rep. ] But now i see it is not so.

really look forward to getting a copy.

Hope the efforts here were stimulating if not more directly useful.

It is amazing how many angles one can legitimately approach The Silm from.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote