Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-26-2003, 11:07 AM   #1
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting Hunt for the Dragon RPG

dragoneyes' post

The dark green of the forest of Mirkwood drew near beneath Glawr as he flew through the air. He began his decent towards his target. His shadow grew bigger as he got lower, the trees below him waved frantically as the wind rushed behind him. Glawr slowed up a little and rose up higher into the air, surveying the area. He found the dwellings of the Elves and circled above them, picking out the smithies and working places of the blacksmiths and jewelers.

A barrage of arrows flew up to greet him, though they did nothing but ping harmlessly off his thick, strong scales. It did, however, serve to enrage him. No matter how pathetic an attack was, any attempt to harm Glawr, he would commit to memory so he could take his revenge on them another day. The screams of the Elves as they ran for cover pleased Glawr; his reputation for destruction was growing.

Glawr ceased his circling and hung in the air, the arrows were no longer firing and no bird or beast made a sound. There was only the beating of Glawr's large wings. Suddenly he stopped and he fell like a stone onto the settlement below. There was a satisfying crunch as the houses and trees gave beneath him. Immediately, he grabbed for his prizes, the Elvish smiths and jewelers. Once he had those in his grasp he could, perhaps, teach these Elves a lesson.

He now held in his claws twenty or so Elves, all he wanted to take for now. He noticed a group of Elves out of the corner of his golden eye, charging towards him with spears in their hands. These Elves were of no use to Glawr so he opened his great maw and snapped them up, within a second they were gone and no more than memories to their friends and families and barely a mouthful to the great dragon. More arrows began flying towards Glawr who swung his whip-like tail, uprooting trees, breaking buildings and sending the archers flying through the air.

Finally, Glawr had had enough. He beat his wings, blowing any remaining Elves away. He rose back up into the air, and with great speed he flew back toward his horde in the Blue Mountains, where he would put his newly acquired Elves to use.

[ April 30, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 04-26-2003, 11:08 AM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

ElentariGreenleaf's post

"More workers taken Majesty?" asked a kindly voice. King Thranduil nodded. He sat on his throne with his head in his hands.

"You look troubled. Do not worry. It will be defeated soon, and then your people will be free of this menace."

"But what until then, Elentari?" replied the King gravely. "Our trade with Long Lake is rapidly falling. If the workers are not rescued soon the city will run out of supplies." King Thranduil stood up and walked to a window. He looked at his loyal subjects trying to assess the damage caused by the foul dragon. There were children being comforted by mothers - mothers who had lost their husbands in the latest attack.
"Look at them. Families are being separated. Homes are being destroyed."

The King sighed. "Can elvish arts be used, that which others term magic?"

"No." replied Elentari quietly. "I assure you, my liege, that if it could be used, it would be. But dragons are impervious to such powers. There is nothing we can do but use our weapons." Elentari walked to the window and looked at the havoc. "Surely there is something I can do." The elf turned to face the King. He seemed deep in thought. Elentari decided it would be best to leave the throne room to allow the King to think. She bowed and turned to leave.

"Wait, Elentari," said the King slowly. "Maybe there is something you can do. It is asking a lot of you, and I do not order you to do this. Would you consider gathering a group of brave and willing fighters to track the dragon?"

King Thranduil did not expect Elentari to answer this immediately. The King thought it would take a while for his friend to make any decision. So he was surprised to hear her sudden response.

"I'll gladly do this for you," Elentari quickly replied. Her face suddenly brightened. For a while now the elf had been eager to go on another adventure. "It may take some time to find elves willing to face such a danger."

King Thranduil thanked Elentari. The next day the King announced to the city Elentari's quest. Few seemed eager to help, as Elentari had suspected. She returned to her dwelling, which was actually a tree near the edge of the city), to wait for any who would accompany her to slay the dragon.

[ April 30, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 05-08-2003, 12:20 AM   #3
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Waendoliel's post

Merenwen wiped the sweat on her forehaed.She had been walking for hours. Her feet were aching, but she would not rest until she reached Mirkwood, and was sure that her mother was safe.
Deep inside herself a fear was growing; what if her mother had been killed under the attack of the dragon. Merenwen increased the speed by the thought, she had to hurry before it was to late.

After an hours walk she could dimly see some old trees which looked very well-known. It was Mirkwood, home, where she had not been for months. A terrible thought crossed her mind; what if the place was so ruined that she would not recognize it. When Merenwen approached the wood, she was proved rigt. The home she knew had been filled with laughter and joy, but now it was moved by destroyed houses and families crying for the lost ones.
While she was walking in sadness, not knowing how to respond, a very familiar voice from behind interrupede her. "Merenwen!" it called out loudly. She turned quickly and fell in to her mother's open arms. For a moment they just stod there hugging and kissing each other.
Afterwards her mother invited her home for a good meal and some rest.
Sadness fell over Merenwens face, because that was not the reason she had returned home. Her plan was to join Elentari's company and hunt down the dragon who had caused her people so much pain.
Merenwen feared that her motehr would not understand, but she had to try to explain to her. "Dear mother, you know deep in your heart that I have to do this. You traind me to be a warrior, to protect what's good and fight against evil. Now I have to live up to that. Since you are my mother I will not leav if you forbid me to. But I beg you, pleas, try to understand, it is for the best of everyone. You would have done the same."
Merenwen's mother shead some tears, and waved her hand at her. "You have my permission my child, but promise me this; one day you will return home," she whisperd in Merenwen's ear.

Merenwen walked away with tears in her eyes, and disappeared behind some trees. She was on her way to consulte Elentari. The bigest test in life was probably ahaed of her. But Merenwen was not afraid.

Faybeven Bombadil's post

Selvren was working to dam a section of the river that had overflowed in the latest dragon attack. The usual barrier had been smashed, and water was flowing into the valley behind the forest. He and his friend Rilgonion worked to move the large slabs of stone and hammered the wooden beams across them. It would take another day or so, and no one knew when the next attack would be. Soon, the two were joined by Erinrandir. He was a hunter friend of theirs that had witnessed the most recent attack, and had done all he could to save the elves. Three wives still had husbands thanks to him, and he was always about.

“Elentari has been given a new task by the King.” He said too simply, standing over the other two as they heaved a second stone into place. Selvren stopped and looked at Erinrandir. The simplicity of his words baffled him. Rilgonion set down his side of the boulder, and Selvren did as well. They turned to face the hunter. “She is gathering a group to track the dragon, and defeat him.” Selvren’s jaw dropped slack and Rilgonion held up a hand.

“Who has responded?” he asked.

“No one yet. If anyone wishes to volunteer, they are to see her in her house,” answered Erinrandir. Selvren shook his head.

“Does the King realize what he’s asking? We don’t have a chance against the wyrm.”

“I’m not sure what to think,” said the hunter, leaning against a white beech. “But if Elentari is leading it, I think our odds are better than one can guess. The gods seem to favor her, as well as the King.” The three shared an agreeing nod.

The pre-noon horn blew, and Erinrandir bid his friends farewell.

“I am also hungry,” said Rilgonion. “Let us go have a short meal in the hall. We’ll return for this in an hour, I promise.” Selvren shook his head stubbornly.

“No,” he said. “I’m going to see my father. But then,” he said quickly, before Rilgonion could nod with satisfaction that his friend was taking a rest, “I’m coming back here and working more on this dam.” Rilgonion shook his head. “It must be finished as soon as possible.” Turning his back in defeat, Rilgonion ran up the path to the palace for his lunch.

“So,” said Astaldohen to his son, as they shared a light meal in his study. “You are interested in aiding Elentari with tracking the wyrm?” Selvren nodded. A sliver of light shone through the window on the east side of the room as the sun ascended to its noontime position. Selvren had spoken with his father briefly about his reasons to go with Elentari. He desperately wanted to be rid of the dragon and to see that Mirkwood and the Lake Men were safe again and their trade renewed.

“Father, you have been given a name as a brave warrior during the wars of the First Age. I haven’t. I am known as a musician and recently, a relentless worker in repairing the wyrm’s damage. That is all. I want to come through for the elves of Mirkwood, and be remembered as something more than a bard.” Astaldohen nodded, understandingly.

“Yes, my son. I understand. It is now your turn to be great. You have my faith, evergreen.” Selvren stood and bowed his head.

“Thank you.”

After convincing Rilgonion to help him, he returned to working on the dam. By early evening, the stones were all in place, and in the morning he resolved to secure the beams. After joining Rilgonion for supper, he went to see Elentari.

[ May 08, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 05-08-2003, 12:23 AM   #4
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Novnarwen's post

"Mother?? Where are you? I am home!" Lostlondwen had been in Rivendell visiting her father. It was quite dark outside and the stars shone, and cast some light over the elves in Mirkwood. Lostlondwen looked out of the window. She could see smoke over the hills. "Oh, is that fire I see?" she asked herself. She ran quickly through the little house and went for a walk in the night. Where is my mother? she tought. She was supposed to be here by now. She wandered off in to the main area where most of her friends and the "first class" elves lived. The smoke was not far away. "That means that it's burning in the center of this Elvenhome," she muttered to herself. She ran down the long sloping path and followed the the loud voices she could now could hear.

"He took them!! Fire!! Foe!!"
It was a tall blond elf who stood there. She turned around, and eyed Lostlondwen. "What's happening?" Lostlondwen asked in an insecure way. She got a feeling that something was wrong. But she couldn't say what. "He was here again," she said in a low voice. "He?? Who was here?" asked Lostlondwen. "Again?" she continued. There was a big pause, before the elf, in green answered. "There had been another attack. He came again, and kidnapped a whole lot of people. We tried to do something, but the fire, and the evil in his eyes, we'll need warriors to take him down." She looked out over the part of the wood that was nearly burnt down. "This isn't the first time?" Lostlondwen wasn't sure what this elf was talking about. She wasn't sure if she understood. Fire? Evil eyes? Could it be.... "A dragon!!" Lostlondwen burst out.
"You didn't know?" the elf looked suprised. "I've dwelt in Rivendell for a while now. Just came back. And my mother is missing," Lostlondwen answered. "What's you name?" "I am Lostlondwen, and you are?" "We have been looking for you," she said in a mournful voice. "I am Elentari," she answered. "You've come too late," she continued. Lostlondwen was wondering what she was trying to say. This wasn't making any sense. She didn't know this woman. Or did she? And why had they been looking for her. Her taughts were interrupted by Elentari. "You mother is missing, because the dragon took her some days ago, I am sorry. I really am." "What?" Lostlondwen burst in to tears. Elentari looked her in her eyes and tried to comfort her. "We will find him, we will hunt the dragon, and find your mother. I am gathering some warriors, and we will be heading for The Blue Mountain. Go home and get some rest. I promise you, you'll get her back." She turned her back and went for the area that was burning.

Lostlondwen stood there, she didn't know what to do. Without knowing it she shouted out: "Wait!" Elentari stopped, and Lostlondwen ran towards her. Her eyes was filled with tears, but she didn't say anything. "Let me join you, let me join you on this quest?" Lostlondwen asked.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:27 AM   #5
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Eruwen's post

Callo walked out of the forest toward where many Elves were cleaning up from the distasters the dragon had caused. He led his horse, Melimo, by his side quietly. As he walked along heading back home, he noticed a female Elf weeping as she gathered pieces of wood into a pile.

"Might I help you with that, Tinwe?" Callo said approaching the woman. "I know it can't be easy losing your home in such a hard time as it is already."

Callo was addressing the fact that Tinwe's husband was one of the captives in an earlier Dragon incident. This captive also happened to be a great friend to him. Tinwe nodded, but didn't look up. After a few moments of silence, she looked at Callo smiling.

"But at least this will be over soon, right?" Tinwe said.

"What do you mean?"

"Oh, havn't you heard? The King had set Elentari in charge of a quest to slay the dragon. Maybe you should go talk to her about it. You're skillful with archery, and besides, it would be good for you to get away from all of this misery."

A quest to kill the dragon? Callo thought to himself. He looked around at the other families of Elves still managing to hold on to what was left since the Dragon came. He knew what it felt like to lose someone close. He could feel their pain. Just then Callo stood up straight. He quickly mounted his grey steed which was grazing on the grass at his feet. Tinwe smiled as she watched Callo set off.

"Elentari, are you here?" Callo said riding up quickly to the Elf's home. Elentari did not know him much, but they randomly talked here and there. Callo unmounted from his horse as he saw the Elf peer down from the tree.

"They are not completely lost!" Callo said smiling. Elentari gave him a queer look. "The Elves which were taken...they may not be dead. I know how it is to lose someone very close to you. Please, let me help these families out. Let me aid you on the quest to slay this dragon. I could not save my own family, but I can try to save these."

Elentari stared down out of the tree towards Callo trying to comprehend all that the Elf had said so quickly. Callo waited for a reply.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:29 AM   #6
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Excheeto's post

Alcyávëiel went inside from the left field.She was wondering whether she should let these plants pollinate themselves again,or if it was time to cross them with the plants on the other side of the vineyard.The result would be one line of especially excellent plants,but once those plants die off,it would take severel years before she could produce another crop like it.She had been selling off more of her vintages in the celler,waiting for the boom the great crop would bring,but the demand was higher than she had expected,and she was running out of vintages before she had as much of the time she had wished for in the large center field.It was fallow now,but it wouldn't be soon,she stared at the fields hoping it wouldn't be too soon for what she was planning.

She paced her way into the book room,then into the guest wing.Her precious vineyard was one thing,but something more important was on her mind as well.

She heard the hurried footsteps outside.Composing herself,she walked towards the door,opening it before her servent had a chance to knock.

"Mae Govennen Nefelen,have you heard anything about Iarlhach?"
The elven youth hung his head,"My lady,the town has been speaking of a ....well,a dragon kidnapping severel of the smiths"
Alcyávëiel paused,holding back her shock and grief."Have you heard anything about my husband?"
"Severel of Thranduil's archer's looked around the smiths,I spoke to one,he said they were gone"he dug in his knapsack,pulling out a leather bag,in which he pulled out Iarlhach's thick work gloves."They found this my lady,I'm sure they belong to him".

"Come in and have a seat Nefelen"she said.She walked over to the fireplace and sat down.The fire was almost out.Nefelen grabbed a candlestick,lighting it with the fire,then using it to light the other four in the room before taking a seat across from Alcyávëiel.Her hood nearly hid her face compleatly as she stared at the gloves,her fingers tracing her husband's initials carved on the edge.

"You should wear these until I come back"she said quietly."My lady?what do you mean?""The left field needs pruning,I know your good at it,but take these gloves to protect your hands,keep them for me,and tell Culerin to watch over you and the vineyard,should I not return".

She held her head up and rose,placing the gloves in the shocked servant's lap.He sat with his jaw dropped as she daintily took his bow and unbuckled his quiver,adjusting it on herself as she walked out of the door.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:31 AM   #7
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Orofaniel's post

Ewinda was riding as fast as she could. She had heard about the dragon and that Elentari was gathering a company to track the dragon down and slay it. She thought that the company may find use in her. Ewinda was sick of the boring life that she lived , she wanted a bit excitment.

When she had reached Mirkwood she jumped off her horse and looked for Elentari.At first she couldn't find her and Ewinda started to think that they already had gone.She was dissapointed that she was going to miss this exciting adventure, when she suddenly saw a flash of Elentari. The blond hair was blowing in the wind. She ran towards her and asked:" Can I hunt the dragon with you, Elentari?" "Please", she added.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:39 AM   #8
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Iarbarion's post

Nalin wandered through the unfamiliar trees of Mirkwood. The lush green vegetation interested the dwarf. He thought to himself while walking, These trees are so unlike the caves of Moria. Nalin also enjoyed the elves. He thought that their conversations were quite interesting and walked past the creatures frequently to hear bits and pieces of conversations. The dwarves in Moria also had interestign conversations such as these. In fact, he was only in Mirkwood because of gossip he had heard in Moria. This made him come to Mirkwood. Even though he enjoyed the trees, he missed the caves of Moria.

He walked up to a group of elves that were to come with him to save elven and dwarven captives from a mysterious dragon. "These trees are new to me" he said in an attempt to spark a conversation of his own. The elves began a long interesting conversation with the dwarf.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:45 AM   #9
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Elven Maiden Earwen's post

When Rowan learned of the quest to hunt down the dragon he was eager to come too. Rowan had known some of the elves that had been kidnapped. He did not know what had happened to the elves and dwarves that had been captured but he was eager to find out and try to save them. Rowan ran outside and untied his horse Bulëgalad. “Come on boy,” he said quietly. He saddled Bulëgalad up and hopped on.

“Go” he said and Bulëgalad and he rode off towards Mirkwood.

It was about a day's travel to Mirkwood. Rowan arrived on the confines of the forest near nightfall. I hope they haven’t left yet he thought. He traveled in to the forest. It was very quiet and dark. All of a sudden, he caught sight of a small group of people. An elven maid with blonde hair was talking to them. That must be Elentari he thought to himself. He rode over to them to have a look.

[ May 08, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 05-08-2003, 12:46 AM   #10
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Salix's post

The young dwarf walked sturdily through the forest. She had been surprised to notice that very few elves seemed to be guarding the forest. For the first time, the dwarf thought that maybe perhaps the dragon had done more than kidnap her brother. Suddenly, she almost ran into the tallest creature she had ever seen.

The Elf guard smiled at the rather short dwarf standing in front of him. The dwarf was scowling as if it haadn't expected to find snything else on the path, but then smiled as if to say 'Hey look! It's an Elf!' Here was a young Dwarf, probably fresh out of the caves of Moria. "So Master Dwarf, may I ask what your name and business here in Mirkwood might be?" The dwarf looked confused for a moment, and then suddenly broke into a bigger grin. "My name is Farin, and I am here to rescue my brother Perin
from the dragon that kidnapped him." Well, well. Here was a dwarf that expected to be a hero. Unfortunately, Thranduil said that anybody concerning themselves with the dragon were to talk to an Elf named Elentari. "Follow me," the guard told the dwarf.

Farin was pleased. The Elf hadn't recognized her for a female! Maybe it would be best if she faked she was a male so no one would think her weak or something like that. Anyway, everybody knows that dwarf women aren't seen much around the lands of Middle-Earth. She eagerly followed the tall elf to where he was taking her...
Old 05-08-2003, 12:57 AM   #11
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

This game is open for play. Please disable your sigs.

I will erase this later. Have fun!

Cami Goodchild
Old 05-08-2003, 11:52 AM   #12
excheeto
Animated Skeleton

excheeto has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Alcyávëiel kept her dappled grey mare,Nevfennas at a quick,but careful trot as she headed down the long path downhill towards Long Lake.
Soon,she saw the damage from the dragon.Trees and homes were torn and burned.Families everywhere were looking for thier friends and relitives.
"I'm sorry"she told a man,"I haven't heard word of your brother"
"My lady"he bowed,tears welling in his eyes,"have you heard any news of the workers?"
"Sir..."she didn't like to be the bringer of bad news,"this looks like the work of a dragon,I've seen them before in my travels towards the mountains"
The man looked up with a desperate expression,speechless.She returned his look,leaning down and whispering"I'm looking for my husband myself"
"There's word an elf named Elentari is gathering a team,I don't know her,nor have I heard of her before,but severel have spoke of joining.....I would"he said,stopping to pick through a clump of herbs,"but I feel my job as a healer would be better spent here,I just can't leave my town like this"
"I understand"she said.She knew Elentari fairly well.She wasn't her biggest customer,but had stayed at her vineyard a few times during long errands,and was especially pleasant company.
"Nevfennas,noro lim"she whispered,tugging her mane in the right direction before speeding off towards Elentari's house.
The tree was empty,but as she climbed up and looked,it looked as if she had just left hours ago,and in a hurry.She paced,keeping careful watch outside,hoping Elentari would return soon.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:31 PM   #13
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"My Lady," said a messenger of Mirkwood Palace. "What is the message you would like to send?"

"Send word to those who have joined my quest. You know their faces, for I saw you watching."

The messenger lowered his head, avoiding the Elf's far-off look. "Forgive me, my Lady. I was merely interested."

Elentari smiled. "Do not worry, faithful messenger. Your curiosity is what led me to ask the King for you as my message bearer. Please tell them this:

"The Lady Elentari wishes you to meet her at her home, the tree where you met her before. She too will be there, at noon tomorrow. Bring your weapons and supplies, and say your farewells before hand."

"I will not fail you, My Lady," said the Elf, as he ran out of the palace chamber."

"I know you will not," whispered Elentari. She stood, and took her leave of the palace. She said her farewell to the king, who wished her best of luck, for the people of Middle Earth were relying on her. Elentari had gathered the supplies she would need, then gathered it again ten-fold. This was going to be a long journey.

~~~~

Elentari climbed her tree and, not expecting anyone to be there yet, started humming a tune.

"Elentari?" asked a voice.

Elentari spun round, hand on sword hilt. "Alcyávëiel! Please forgive me. What brings you here to Mirkwood?"

"Word travels far Elentari," Alcyávëiel said with a slight sigh. "We heard of your quest at Long Lake. I wish to join you, for the dragon has been attacking other apart from the Elves."

"I knew it to be so. You are not the only traveller who has joined my quest. Please stay until they arrive tomorrow noon."

~~~~

Elentari stood before a group of Elves, Dwarves and Men at midday the next day. She realised that the Free Peoples of middle earth must unite against the dragon, for its actions affected them all.

"Welcome, brave people," began Elentari. "I am honoured that you wish to accompany me. I know that some of you have joined to rescue loved ones. Please speak up now if your heart is not truly set on this quest."

None of those present spoke up.

"Then we must leave now, to defeat this evil. Come, O Protectors of the People, and Quest to the Blue Mountains!"

[ May 08, 2003: Message edited by: ElentariGreenleaf ]
Old 05-12-2003, 06:45 PM   #14
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting

When Rowan arrived many had already gathered around Elentari. He saw Ewinda a woman from Long Lake. He was quite surprised to see such a young woman here. He also saw many elves. There was Selvren Anion a male elf with silvery blonde hair, and Merenwen Táralóm an elf with the most beautiful eyes Rowan had ever seen. There was Alcyávëiel with blonde hair and Lostlondwen an elf with amazing raven black hair. There were also a few dwarves.

Rowan was very exited to start the journey but he was feeling a little insecure. He barley new the people he would be journeying with for the next to months. He was a little intimidated by the elves. He had always been intimidated with elves. They were beautiful and wise and graceful. They seemed so perfect. Even though Rowan new they weren’t perfect he couldn’t help being somewhat jealous of them. Cut it out he thought to himself. I have people who love me and a place where I belong, that’s all that matters. And besides I have to keep my mind on the mission. Elentari began to speak and Rowan listened.

"Then we must leave now, to defeat this evil. Come, O Protectors of the People, and Quest to the Blue Mountains!"
So it begins, Rowan thought, after Elentari spoke those last words.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:57 PM   #15
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Callo smiled eagerly and began to set out with the others on the hunt for the dragon. The group left the palace rather quickly and journeyed out through Mirkwood. The scenery around did not change much due to the vast amount of trees surrounding the palace. Callo, although an Elf, almost felt sick of seeing trees...every day...every minute. He wanted to get into the main part of the quest as soon as possible---the real adventure.

With Melimo by his side and bow in hand, Callo walked on with the rest of the travellers. Beside him was Merenwen Taralon, another Elf along on this quest. Callo looked down at her hand which, as well, carried a silver bow.

"That weapon of yours is very well crafted," Callo said to the young Elf maiden. "Did you make it yourself?"
Old 05-13-2003, 09:00 PM   #16
excheeto
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Alcyávëiel walked at the end of the group,looking around and sighing deeply.The edge of Mirkwood was sinking behind them,and though the area wasn't as grown over or treeless as she remembered,this trail still had a familiar smell,and she knew from years past that the small pink and orange rûdhtathran flowers were starting to bloom.A small part of the weight had momentarily been lifted off of her chest.

They walked on when the smell suddenly became stronger."Excuse me"she said to Rowen,one of the few human customers she had ever had,"we need to hurry,the flowers in this area,they tend to bloom and seed very quickly before a storm".

She turned towards Merenwen."We have a few hours to find shelter or low grounds,of all the things I thought could happen,I never expected this".

The weight in her chest returned as she thought bitterly,=Barely two steps out of the woods,and already we're having trouble!This had better not be a sighn of things to come!=

[ May 13, 2003: Message edited by: excheeto ]
Old 05-16-2003, 10:58 AM   #17
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Annunfuniel's post

"Where are we now?" asked Vráin in a voice full of wonder and looked around in the strange land. He stood on a rocky hill and watched south over endless forest - or so it seemed to him. Mirkwood began right under the slope to which Vráin had climbed from the northwest. Grey Mountains loomed behind him.

Vráin turned back to face north and yelled at a figure that was scrambling slowly to the hill "Come on, Grái! Are you a snail or something?" The answer was a loud murmur and a rock aimed at Vráin's head. He ducked easily and laughed mischievously. "Ya wouldn't hit a wall when inside a cave!"

Gráin reached the top and tried to cool off; this really wasn't the time or place to get into a fight. He eyed the surroundings calmly ignoring Vráin's eager questions. Finally Gráin spoke and appeased his brother's curiosity. "We are at the north edges of Mirkwood and even you should have been able to figure that out." Vráin gave him a not-so-friendly look and was about to return the compliment but Gráin got to speak first. "You may keep your opinions to yourself at the moment. We have no time to waste."

Vráin knew this was true but still he had hard time keeping silent. "Fine then", he said "Let's go and hunt the petty beast." The brothers had been following Glawr for a week now but both of them knew he was still far ahead of them. They had seen the havoc the cold-drake had caused on its way south and east but all the tracks had been at least a couple of days old so far. "Petty beast?" Gráin snorted and he was forced to smile. "That's what I call an understatement!" They came down the slope and continued their pursuit following the skirts of the forest still reviling each other in turns.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A week later Gráin and Vráin walked through the forest. They had entered it the previous day. They followed a small stream that flowed mainly towards south. Then all of a sudden it made a sharp turn westwards an cut their way. "Well, I thought already it was a time to get my beard wet!" exclaimed Vráin and made his way to the water. Before Gráin could say a word he had jumped into the stream.

"Thrice a fool!" screamed Gráin but too late. The flood was stronger than the surface implied and adding the fact that Vráin carried a heavy axe meant that he was in worse than trouble. Gráin searched feverishly for something with which he could reach to his brother now struggling for his life against the flux. "Try to hold!" Gráin yelled as a sense of panic started to creep into his mind. No time to think and he was helpless. He rushed to the water and, knowing not what else to do, was to follow his brother to the stream.

"NO! Don't jump!" An unexpected call from the other side of the bourn halted Gráin. A tall man run to the riverbank and threw a rope to Vráin - not a second too early. Vráin was dead tired and soaking wet when he finally was pulled to the shore. His older brother sighed with relief. Then the anxiety started to shift into irritation and he shouted "You lucky cad! Wait till I get there you'll wish for another swim!"

Hearty laughter filled the air and forced Gráin to pay attention to the stranger who had rescued his brother. "Ah! Dwarves with sharp tongues and urge to bathe!" And the man laughed some more. This once Gráin checked his words and addressed the man "Thank thee for saving my brother's life though it may be in vain when I get my hands on him." He continued "Gráin son of Thráin at your service! And my brother will second my words and add his commendations after he regains his breath. His name is Vráin."

By now Gráin had come to notice that this was no mortal human he was talking to but an elf! And he introduced himself...
Old 05-16-2003, 12:43 PM   #18
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

"Greetings dwarves," said Elentari. "What brings you to Mirkwood?"

Gráin and Vráin introduced themselves, and stated their business in Mirkwood. They noted that there was already a dwarf with the elf, and that some more elves and two humans were stepping forward out of the trees.

"Gráin and Vráin, you have found the elf you look for. I am Elentari, leader of the quest to the Blue Mountains. This other dwarf you see is Nalin, who is helping me guide this quest. The elves you see are Merenwen, Selvren, Lostlondwen, Callo and Alcyávëiel. The two of the race of Man are Ewinda and Rowan. We are honoured to have you with us, Gráin and Vráin, for come with s you must if you wish to defeat the dragon."

"It is we who should be honoured to accompany you, killer of Shelob," said Gráin.

"Then let us continue, for we must find shelter before dark."
~~~~~~~~
It was three days after the great storm that the company came to the border of Mirkwood forest. Elentari held up a hand for silence. Quiet spread like wildfire, as the companions were eager to her the Elf.

"A must admit, that my knowledge of these mountains was poor until a looked at a map I was given by the King. We will follow the Old Forest road, as we have been doing, as cross the Misty Mountains by the High Pass."

"A wise choice, Lady Elf," said Nalin.

Callo now held up a hand for quiet. "Someone approaches. Two I believe."

Sure enough, two male dwarves walked down the road toward them. One of the dwarves was obviously young, as he had no beard.

"Hail, dwarves. Do you seek our help?" Callo was the first to speak.

"Nay, Master Elf. We seek Elentari the Spider Slayer," replied the older dwarf.

"I am she," replied Elentari. "Then may I presume you wish to join our quest?"

"That is true." Now the beardless dwarf spoke. "I am Farin, and this is Oin Woodenbrace. It would bring us great joy to join your quest."

"Then join us!" said Elentari, her heart full of joy. Now there were twelve, Elentari included.

It took the company till dusk to reach the Old Ford. There they camped for the night.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:00 PM   #19
Faybevin Bombadil
Pile O'Bones

Faybevin Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Selvren Anion sat with the rest of the group listening vaguely to the conversations around him. A fire had been started and Vraín stoked it every now and then to keep it alive; his brother Graín telling him where there was a still an unconsumed log poking out of the flames. The elf had met but a few dwarves and because of the circumstances, had had no time for conversation. He stood and walked over to where the two dwarf brothers were seated.

“Selvren Anion at your service,” he said bowing his head slightly. “Vraín and Graín you are, so I have gathered.” The two dwarves nodded simultaneously and extended their hands in greeting. The elf shook both and took a seat beside them. “I have heard very much of Erebor and on occasion spoken a little with some of its inhabitants. You two and the rest,” he said nodding towards the other dwarves in their company, “are the first that I will ever get to know better. Perhaps you can share a bit with me about your lore?” Selvren was so intrigued by the pair that he wanted to jump right into a full-blown conversation on their histories and culture. However, since they had only just met, he decided to wait a bit before speaking too much. Such was often the fault of many.
Her golden locks flowed behind her, bare of beads or braids. Naked shoulders led to elegant sleeves of forest green whilst her skirt was made of the same. Golden sheer was tied bout her waist and her feet were bare and everdancing, her mouth open in sweetest song.
Old 05-17-2003, 12:06 PM   #20
Iarbarion
Animated Skeleton

Iarbarion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nalin was excited that other dwarves had joined the quest to slay the dragon. Now he could help command the dwarves while Elentari would command the elves. When Nalin had first seen Vrain and Grain walking to Elentari he had made a note to himself to learn more about the two dwarven brothers. The quest had started and at the first campsite Nalin made an attempt to spark conversation with the brother dwarves.

"Hello, Nalin son of Talin at your service." He bowed low and his beard reached the ground. The dwarves returned the gesture and introduced themselves. The dwarves traded reasons for tracking the dragon and Elentari asked everyone to go to sleep. They would need their rest for the next couple months.
"I grudge you nothing that I have. Yet I desire that none shall dwell beyond my walls who know the way hither; and if I trust you, my sister, others I trust less to keep guard on their tongues." -Turgon to Aredhel
Old 05-18-2003, 04:29 PM   #21
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

They didn’t have a great start, it rained for three days and after that they set of. The Company of the Dragon was headed for the Misty Mountains. Four dwarves had joined them. They were Farin, Oin Woodenbrace, Vráin, and Gráin. It was night and they had just reached the old fords. They set up camp and put up a fire and talked long. Later most of the company went to sleep immediately because they were tiered for traveling so long. A few sat in a small group talking softly.

But Rowan couldn’t sleep. He got up and untied Bulëgalad.
“Come back here by light of sun.” He whispered to Bulëgalad. Bulëgalad ran off with his chestnut hair flew in the wind. Rowan sighed. He was too nervous, and scared of what might happen on the trip. He walked over to a large rock and sat down on it. The wind blew softly threw the trees and the leaves rustled. Moon light shown through the trees and black shadows danced on the ground. Rowan looked at the trees all black, and gnarled, and twisted. They gave they woods an eerie feeling.

Rowan stared out across the dark, starlit sky. When he was young and his parents weren’t home at night, he used to always sneak out and stare up at the stars. He had given many names. He thought of how the stars might look to those that were captured by Glawr. Could they even see the stars? The Company of the Dragon needed to rescue them but they had barley gotten anywhere in little less than a week. He hoped that they wouldn’t be too late.

Bright light streamed thought the trees. Rowan awoke after sleeping for only a couple of hours. Many around him began too stir too. He was ready to get up, eat, and go. He had promised himself the night before that he would never give up on the captives and that they wouldn’t be too late. He got up and rolled up his mat. He saw Elentari.

“What is your plan for today, Milady? ” Rowan asked.

[ May 18, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 05-18-2003, 08:50 PM   #22
excheeto
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Alcyávëiel lifted the load off of her horse,letting her rest and graze in the rain before morning.

A large tree grew in the middle of the field.It looked out of place,but many of the elves had used it for direction.They had built a fire beneath it,using kindling and dead twigs.

She propped the load against the trunk and tossed a rope over the lowest branch overhead.Grabbing both ropes,she climbed up,then sprinted up the branches until she found the right spot.

She sat on one branch,leaning her head on another,with the third branch across her lap.There had been no thunder,so she felt safe in the first dry spot she had seen in days.The branches opened up,giving a narrow view of the Misty Mountains.

She looked over at her right,seeing Rowen look at the stars shining dimly beneath the thin clouds.To her left,the rest of the group huddled around the fire.The group had grown with dwarves hunting after the dragon they called Glawr,and though she didn't like to admit it,she was happy they came.

She had not seen too much of dwarves,and what she did see of them,they seemed ugly and belligerent.These seemed polite so far,and she had an idea they would soon be leading as the group went further into the unfamiliar territory of the Misty mountains.
Well,if she had to be stuck with dwarves,at least they wern't anything like the others she had met!

She propped her feet up on the branch in her lap,sinking down and letting herself doze off.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:00 AM   #23
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annunfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Vráin and Gráin sat by the campfire after the long day of travel. Vráin was playing with the fire – to his brother's great annoyance, how else. Gráin was just about to comment that luckily there was again a river close by for him to jump into in case his beard would catch fire when one of the elves of the company approached them.

"Selvren Anion at your service," the tall elf introduced himself. "Vráin and Gráin you are, so I have gathered."

The dwarves from the Grey Mountains were seldom in contact with the elves and Vráin had been burning to learn more about them ever since the brothers had joined Elentari's group of hunters. Gráin was more guarded but couldn't completely suffocate his curiosity.

"I have heard very much of Erebor and on occasion spoken a little with some of its inhabitants. You two and the rest are the first that I will ever get to know better. Perhaps you can share a bit with me about your lore?"

Vráin leaned forward and took a deep breath. Gráin gave him a sideways look and sighed: he knew those marks only too well. This turned out to be a night without rest, I see, the older dwarf thought, trying – unsuccessfully - to convince himself he was irritated. He couldn't help but grin.

"I'll have to warn you, master elf. Once my brother gets started with his stories your ears won't find rest for a long while."

"That suits me fine!" exclaimed the elf and burst in to hearty laughter. His voice was so full of warmth and pure joy that hearing it even Gráin had to laugh.

Vráin managed this once to bypass his brother's comment for he was too eager to ask Selvren about his weapons, especially his knives. Vráin's own throwing knives were indeed fine examples of dwarven craft but artless compared to elven ones. His eyes widened as he learned those sharp-edged weapons had once served Selvren's father and that they originated from the First Age.

"You were born in the First Age, then!? But that...that's a long time ago..." Vráin tried to count the years with poor success. "Compared to Men we dwarves live long and our lore tells about Durin the Deathless and six other dwarf fathers that lived in the First Age. But to live so long... Would think your head would just swell from the amount of knowledge and memories you must have stored during all those years!"

Gráin groaned and gave Vráin a slap to the back of his head. The elf's facial muscles jerked funnily as he tried to control his expression. Before the dwarves could get into more quarrel Selvren spoke, aspiring to earnest tone:

"I have never thought it like that. Maybe that's why we like so much to keep records – so we don't have to memorize it all but still won't forget anything as we can look up every detail from the books." He paused for a while and then grinned, his grey eyes flickering. "But now that I think about it... You may be right! I'm quite certain some of the very old elves have a bit swollen heads."

The dwarf brothers gave the elf a dubious look and that was too much for him. Soon the whole trio was under sway of an uncontrollable laughing fit.

--------------

Gráin, Vráin and Selvren Anion had talked and laughed and talked some more while laughing. Finally, as the moon shone high and the stars had clearly moved on on their way around the Pole Star, the elf had to excuse himself.

"I would gladly listen to your stories till the dawn but now I have to consult with Elentari on our quest. Fair rest to thee, my new friends. May tomorrow give us a chance to continue our talk." And with that he was gone.

The elf had hardly stepped outside the circle of the fire when the brothers saw the next companion drawing nearer.

"Hello, Nalin son of Talin at your service."

Gráin and Vráin rose, introduced themselves and bowed low. Nalin turned out to be a merry fellow too and Vráin had a lively conversation with him – on throwing axes and knives, what else. Gráin had already spoken more than he was accustomed to and now he just sat there listening with one ear and giving occasional comments, mostly when Vráin said something which he considered to be disturbingly stupid – even for him.

Gráin looked around the campsite and saw the man from the Long Lake staring at the stars. He appeared noticeably uneasy and Gráin wondered what troubled his mind. Well, even if he was but scared there should be no-one to blame him. Danger shadows our road - only fool would not worry. Having thought that he glanced at his brother and rolled his eyes.

Vráin got suddenly distracted from the conversation he was having as he caught a glimpse of Alcyávëiel, one of the she-elves, climbing to a tree.

"First they ride those gigantic horses and now they climb trees? Queer folk these Men and Elves, that's what they are!" he commented to Nalin, gaining another slap from his big brother.

--------------

The next morning dawned fair, the sky was cloudless and the sun was just rising above the forest in the east. The mists lay still thick on the world when the company was ready to continue.

"What is your plan for today, Milady?" the dwarf brothers heard Rowan speak up, and they waited for Elentari's answer, ready to go wherever the road would lead them.

[ May 23, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]
Old 05-19-2003, 12:12 PM   #24
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Novnarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novnarwen Send a message via Yahoo to Novnarwen
Pipe

There was a silence, and then a scream. Her mother dissapeared into the darkness.

Lostlondwen opened her eyes. "It was a dream," she muttered to herself. She couldn't stop thinking about her mother. Was she safe? Was she even alive?

To her suprise everyone seemed to be both rested and eager to continue this journey. They were all talking to eachother, only Lostlondwen remained silent.

She was tired, and out of faith. How were they supposed to slay a dragon? She was beginning to have doubts. And these dreams didn't exactly help.

Lostlondwen walked by herself, found a tree and sat down. She leaned against the bole, and wondered where this journey would take her, and what it would bring.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:10 PM   #25
Eruwen

Tolkien

Callo sat atop a rock while the others were about talking amidst themselves. He sat behind Melimo sharpening one of his arrows with a stone that lay beside where he was sitting. As he listened intently to the constant sound of the rocks and the whispers coming from others in the group, his eyes suddenly drifted from his idleness.

He looked up and noticed an Elf sitting against a tree. She looked troubled as she sat looking at the ground in deep thought. Callo put his bow back into a pouch on Melimo's side and threw the stone down. He walked over to where the Elf sat.

"Nervous?" he said suddenly from behind. The Elven maiden jumped at his voice and turned to meet him.
"About the dragon, I mean." he continued. You seem to be troubled."

"Not exactly nervous," the Elf replied returning to her position against the tree. "Just curious...how are we supposed to accomplish this task anyway? It seems almost impossible. We have so few people."

Callo took a seat beside her on the ground. "I think we can do it though," he replied. "With Elentari's guidance we can. Have you heard of her defeat at Cirith Ungol? Only 6 people on that journey when they actually faced Shelob. I knew one of them, but...she died while fighting against the evil menace. Elentari made it through though, and I believe she can get us through this as well. I'm Callo, by the way."

"My name is Lostlondwen."

Callo looked up at some of the others when he heard Rowan speak to Elentari about the plans for the future day.

"Well, looks like we're about to set off again," Callo said to Lostlondwen. "I'd better go tend to my horse now."

Lostlondwen nodded as she smiled and watched Callo walk off toward Melimo. Callo finished making sure everything was secure on Melimo's back and waited for Elentari's command.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:12 AM   #26
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Sting

The morning came after a long night, with little sleep and strange noises filling the air.

Ewinda looked towards the others and made a sign that she was ready, well as ready as she could be. Her anxiousty was about to fade away and true excitment was filling her body.

Everyone seemed to be set and ready to go. Some of them were talking in loud voices and others were already on their horses. Ewinda walked over to Elentari, she was eager to know where they were heading.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:59 PM   #27
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Lostlondwen watched Callo walk towards his horse, Melimo. It was a nice horse. A nice horse for a nice person, Lostlondwen tought. She had got the impression that Callo was encouraging, and very understanding. It was like he had read her mind, and that he actually cared about what people were thinking.

She crossed the camp, and over to her beloved horse Laurelin. She was eating of the green soft grass. And seemed to be very happy indeed.

"Sorry," she muttered in a low voice. Lostlondwen saddled up the eating horse.

"We are leaving," she said more determined.

"No more eating of this soft grass for a while," she continued, and gave a little noise, which was meant to be laughter.

Lostlondwen mounted the horse, which didn't seem to like the idea of leaving, and rode over to Elentari, and those who were ready to leave.

She was ready. They were here togheter. They were going to take this dragon, and she was going to find her mother.

The conversations, that were going on, broke off. It was time to let Elentari give orders. They all listened very carefully.
Old 05-23-2003, 05:34 AM   #28
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Elentari’s command had been clear: they would cross the Old Ford and follow the Road that would lead them straight to the High Pass. The Elves, Men and their horses were ready for the crossing of the water. Gráin turned to Nalin

"You know these paths: how deep is the water?"

"Don’t worry. Even if it had rained for a week we could still cross the river here. The current is strong but the water shallow, though it deepens sharply on your left hand."

Vráin overheard this conversation and saw the relief on his brother’s face. That, of course, gave him a mischievous idea. Trying to conceal a grin he yelled

"I’ll go first!" and with that he spurted towards the stream but curved to the left.

"What?! NOOOO!! WAIT!" cried Gráin and was about to run after his brother. Just then Vráin halted right on the river bank and swung round –

"Fooled you!" he exclaimed and burst into laughter.

Gráin looked at first puzzled but recovered very quickly. Vráin made the mistake to think he was safe when there were other people around – surely his older brother would know how to behave in company. He bent over in laughter and – FHHIII- *thwock* – a fairly large pebble hit him right to his forehead! Vráin stumbled and – holding his head – fell on his back to the low water.

Nalin’s expression formed a question mark as he looked first at Gráin, then at his brother spattering in the stream, and then at Gráin again. The racket had by now aroused attention among the rest of the fellowship too. Gráin grinned

"See my brother here, he’s a really enthusiastic bather! There’s no pool or puddle to which he won’t dive in but he’s especially fond of strong streams."

Selvren Anion, who was familiar with the dwarf brothers’ earlier river-incident, was laughing already and others joined him soon. When Vráin finally managed to climb to the river bank he was quite a comical sight: water dripping from his soaking wet clothes formed small ponds around him, his hair had clued to his face and weeds hung from his tangled beard. Under the tan his face turned bright red as he first eyed his audience. But then he spluttered, coughed and called with laughing voice

"My, that was refreshing! I warmly recommend a bath to ya’ll!"

---------

The crossing of Anduin went without any further episodes. They had over 60 miles in front of them, from the Old Ford to the roots of the Misty Mountains. Haste drove them forth and though the dwarves had no ponies the company covered some thirty miles before the night came down on them on their first day beyond the Great River. Last miles they travelled in the deep shadow of the Misty Mountains before they camped for the night in a small pine wood right beside the road. Needles formed a dry soft mattress for the weary travellers to lie down.

The next morning dawned pale and chill. Breaths smoked and dwarves’ beards were still all frosty as the entourage was ready to set forth. In the light of the rising sun they saw the highlands in front of them and then the steep slopes of the mountains. The dwarves were excited and quickened their pace – after all the mountains were their 'home'. But others were worried and glanced at the dark walls suspiciously: they felt this would be no safe pass ahead of them.

That evening dusk found them early. Rocky waste lay around them; no trees grew this high and even the undergrowth was scrubby. The night was not as pleasant as the previous: few slept well on the hard ground when cold wind howled in the rock fissures and crept under their blankets. Many lay still, watching the twinkling stars, thinking about the next morning and the narrow mountain paths they would be taking.

"Queen of the Stars, guide our road..." one of the elves murmured in the darkness and then there was silence.

-----------

The morning came with a change in the weather. Grey clouds hang low on the mountain-sides and under the campsite world seemed like an endless sea of fog. Needless to say the atmosphere sank to the bottom.

"Just what I thought! We have been too lucky..." Gráin muttered, mainly to himself. Even Vráin looked disgruntled. Before they had finished their breakfast it started to rain fine drops in the windless air. Elentari called the group around her.

"From now on the road rises sheer and gets narrower the further we go. We must travel in line. Usually I would suggest we keep some distance between every traveller but now that the weather is like this... We must stay close to each other, otherwise we’ll soon get separated and lost in the mist." She eyed her companions with concern but then smiled encouragingly. "You all have steady feet and brave hearts! We will do just fine!"

Nalin led the group with Elentari right behind him leading her horse, Moon. She was in turn followed by Selvren Anion, Merenwen Taralon, Alcyaveiel and Lostlondwen, Callo walking protectively behind the she-elf. Ewinda and Rowan marched successively and last, after the elves, men and all their horses, came the other dwarves; Farin, Vráin and hindmost Gráin.

Their trudge progressed painfully slow. Everything was silent except the sound of rain humming in their ears. Thank gods Nalin is with us for else we would never get down from here! Gráin thought while pushing forward in Vráin’s footsteps. He loved rocks and mountains but rather he would have gone under them than tried to get over them.

Then all of a sudden, as is common so high up, the weather changed again. Wind came rushing down the slopes and drove the fog ahead of him. The rain changed too: now it came pouring down on them. Gráin had cursed the weather too early for this surely was far worse than the fog and soft rain.

Vanguard took a sharp turn as the path curved left and vanished behind a cliff. On their right side the brae slant steeply for about 35 feet and ended to another pass, a bit wider than the one they were trooping.

Who knows were they just unlucky or was it for some greater cause but just then and without a warning the mountain eased its grip of a heavy rock right over their heads. It came off silently, fell down with deadly force and crashed to the rocky path between two travellers!

The horses jumped up in terror. Vráin backed up as Farin bumped into him. He couldn’t see a thing but Gráin was in a corner from which he saw the horses bolting. Like in a nightmare he was unable to do anything but yell and watch as one of his fellow travellers staggered, fell and rolled down the cliff.

[ May 23, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]
Old 05-23-2003, 11:57 AM   #29
Eruwen

Tolkien

Callo walked on behind Lostlondwen as they entered a very narrow part of the road. He did not mind the rain. The outdoors were what he loved, and the rain seemed to make it easier on him. It distracted his thought from the terror that awaited them, and brought his mind to ease. No one seemed to be talking, and if they were, the light rain drowned their quiet voices out.

Suddenly what seemed like an ocean of rain started to pour out of the sky. Callo was almost hating this new weather now, for as the rain broke up the fog, he could see cleary the loose rocks about their head just waiting to fall. Some small stones rolled down the side of the mountain, but fazed them little. As Callo dodged a few smaller rocks, he looked up to see a monstrous boulder about to tumble down as well!

"Look out!" he yelled into the silence, but his voice was smothered by the loud downpour of rain around them. The rock came down fast and hard splitting the company inbetween Callo and Lostlondwen. Melimo began to bolt and run wild due to his fright.

"Melimo, down!" Callo yelled at his steed. He pulled the rope around Melimo's neck toward him as hard as he could, but he lost grip when the mountain seemed to give way beneath his very feet! He trid to hold on to whatever rocks he could, but it was no use. Callo, steed and all, started to roll down the cliff.

The fall didn't seem very long, though Callo could not recall most of it. As his ride down the mountain came close to an end, he was turned to where he could see what he would be landing on. He hit a small ledge sticking out from the side of the mountain and laid for a few moments waiting for the rockslide to end. He knew not whether Melimo had survived or not, for the horse was lost from his vision on the way down.

Callo remained still with his face toward the ground. The rain repeatedly beat down on his body as he began to recap what had happened in his mind. He moved slightly to see if he had been injured, but nothing serious had happend. There were minor cuts and bruises, but no broken bones to be found. He felt what he thought to have been a bruise on his head, but noticed that it was indeed blood which ran from above his eye. As he tore a piece of cloth from his garment to help stop the bleeding, Callo listened for any sign from his company...hopefully still above on the road.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:53 PM   #30
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

They traveled long. Finally they had made it to the Misty Mountains. In the High Pass. The weather became rainy and fog was about. It was quite eerie because it was quiet except for the pounding rain. *Trip-trop-trip-trop * Rowan was soaked and he kept shivering. Her turned around and grabbed his bag that lay on Bulëgalad’s back. He grabbed his heavy coat and put it on. He turned around and heard a scream coming just in front of him. Callo was in trouble!

Rocks began to come rolling down fast. The fog cleared for a moment. Rowan gasped. Callo was roiling down the hill. On instinct Rowan shouted.
“Callo”. There was no reply. He stared down the cliff, rain drenching him form head to toe. It blurred up his eyes. It was no use. Rowan couldn’t see him from where he stood. All he could do was hope that he was still alive.

Lostlondwen stood nearby. Rowan hurried over.
“Can you see him?” he asked anxiously. Lostlondwen peered down the cliff into the fog. Rowan waited for a reply.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:46 PM   #31
excheeto
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Alcyávëiel spun towards the sound of rocks sliding,scuffling,and the high pitched *NEEEIIII* as Callo and his horse slid off the edge of the trail.

Her drenched cloak slapped heavily against her as she sprinted towards the back.Easing on her hands and knees,she slowly crawled towards the edge with a firm grip on the reighns of one of the men's ponies.

She saw no sighns of the horse,but Callo was on a small ledge.She gave a sigh of relief as he rose up,then gasped as she saw blood running from a gash on his head.

She eased back towards the path,then sat,looking at the reins in her hand,then looked up towards the halter.

"Get all of the ropes and the halters,no,leave the reins on one horse,we'll make a harness or a hanging stretcher of some sort,hopefully one horse can pull it steady"she murmered to Merenwen as she pulled her towards the path.Alcyávëiel was shocked,he may be moving now,but she wouldn't be able to guess at his condition until he was brought up,and even then,they appeared to be nowhere near any herbs,bark,roots,or any type of plant.Her younger years of trading and traveling had given her a weariness and caution about injuries and death.
Old 05-24-2003, 01:30 PM   #32
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Elentari was glad Callo had not fallen further. The Company worked quickly to tie the ropes and halters to lift him with. Elentari pulled some herbs from her bag.

"Selvren," said Elentari to the closest Elf. "Please boil some water."

"Yes Elentari," replied Selvren, as he swiftly got a fire going.

Callo's head suddenly appeared over path's edge and those not pulling the ropes hurried to get him back onto the path.

Later that night, Elentari applied some medicine to Callo's wound and rebound it with some new cloth.

"You are going to look like a Corsair of the south with that bandage," laughed Elentari. "What of your horse?"

"I lost sight of my steed." Callo was downhearted, for he loved his horse.

"You will ride Moon." Elentari stood and addressed the Company. "In the morning we will continue, but we cannot know because of the strong winds. The path widened only a small way back, and if I remember correctly, it was sheltered from the wind. There you shall spend the night."

"Why do you not include yourself?" asked Nalin.

"I will search for Melimo, Callo's steed. I will meet you in Rivendell, and there we shall rest for a while. You must travel swiftly, however, for this mountain pass is not safe, because of both the weather and foul things that crawl the cliff paths."

A number of the group tried to persuade Elentari to stay, for they were slightly afraid. Others wished Elentari good fortune.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was evening the following day when Elentari found Melimo. He had not lost his saddle and bridle, so Elentari mounted him. However, as she followed the path west, she found it came to a dead end. For a whole day she had ridden him before she was back to below where Callo had fallen. Fortunately, the path widened, so Melimo should canter all the way back to the eastern most point of the High Pass to rejoin the path.

Elentari was now two days behind the Company, and the going was slow because of the weather. Elentari was forced to dismount Melimo when the wind became too strong. The horse occasionally tried to bolt when rocks slid down the cliff or he lost his footing, but Elentari managed to calm him.

Five days after Elentari had left the group she arrived in Rivendell. Elrond welcomed her, and she reunited Callo with Melimo.

"I am forever in your debt Elentari," said Callo graciously. "Moon is a wonderful horse to ride. I barely had to lead her, and she never once threatened to bolt."

"She is a wise beast. But Melimo too is a joy to ride. He is in excellent shape, and received no injured from the fall. How is your head?"

"When we arrived two days ago it was nearly healed. Your medicine did the trick."

"I learnt from I wise Elf."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That night a great feast was held in the Company's honour. Elentari was a little nervous, as many Elves asked her questions. The most common one was "Elentari? But I thought you sailed. How can you be here?" Elentari found it hard to answer this question, and just replied "I went to Mirkwood instead". In the end, Elentari had to step outside to get some air.
Old 05-24-2003, 02:50 PM   #33
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots

Lostlondwen had just been looking over her shoulder, watching the blonde elf riding his horse Melimo, when a huge stone came between them and cut the narrow path in two. "Callo!" she screamed. Lostlondwen heard a cry from far below. The mist lay thick around the company, and she lost sight of the elf.

Rowan had run towards her and asked if she could see him. Lostlondwen had not answered him.

Lostlondwen wasn't sure about what she was feeling when she saw Callo falling down from the cliff. All was like a dream, a bad dream, that never ended. And so she was trapped in a world full of grief and pain. The worst thing was, that she couldn't do anything to stop it.

Five long days had passed since Callo had fallen. Elentari, who had stayed behind to find Callo's horse, Melimo, arrived at the fifth day after the occurrence, and they all where invited to a big feast in Elrond's house, that night.

The feast was a really merry event. The members of the company seemed to enjoy themselves. They were all happy to be off the road for a while and just relax. Lostlondwen was as usual troubled, and went after Elentari, when she saw her leaving for some fresh air.

"Hi," she said in a low voice.

Elentari looked up, and saw the other elf stirring into the dark.

"Are you out for som fresh air?" Elentari asked, after a while.

"I guess so," she replied.

Elentari gave a nod. "Me too, I guess"

Lostlondwen smiled and gave a laugh. Elentari joined her, and fell silent again.

"I had my doubts, you know," Lostlondwen threw in. "But not any more," she continued. "I guess I didn't know who I was fighting for. My mother? You? Me? But now I know. It's for us, in Middle-earth."

Elentari looked at Lostlondwen in suprise. "You found that out just now?" she said in a curious way.

Lostlondwen smiled, and laughed again. Elentari looked serious for a minute, but couldn't hold her mask anymore. And they both laughed so loud and long that they almost got out of breath.

"Your quite funny, aren't you?" Lostlondwen burst out.

Elentari didn't get the time to reply before Lostlondwen had walked to the door.

"Nice chatting with you Elentari," she said before she slipped through the door, and walked to her room.
Old 05-24-2003, 07:50 PM   #34
Eruwen

Tolkien

Callo was grateful when he heard a voice from above on the road showing the company's presence. Before a short time had passed, he was back onto the road and being treated for his wounds by Elentari.

"You are going to look like a Corsair of the south with that bandage," laughed Elentari. "What of your horse?"

"I lost sight of my steed." Callo was downhearted, for he loved his horse.

"You will ride Moon." Elentari stood and addressed the Company. "In the morning we will continue, but we cannot know because of the strong winds. The path widened only a small way back, and if I remember correctly, it was sheltered from the wind. There you shall spend the night."

"Why do you not include yourself?" asked Nalin.

"I will search for Melimo, Callo's steed. I will meet you in Rivendell, and there we shall rest for a while. You must travel swiftly, however, for this mountain pass is not safe, because of both the weather and foul things that crawl the cliff paths."

"But Melimo can find his way home," Callo said protesting the request. "You shouldn't venture out alone on my behalf. There is no need. He is a strong horse."

"Nonsense," replied Elentari. "I shall go search for him and meet up with the company in a few days. Don't worry, Callo, it will be alright."

Callo sighed, but eventually gave into the Elf's request. It was a long journey to Rivendell, but all was worth it when he finally was joined with Melimo again.

"I am forever in your debt Elentari," said Callo graciously. "Moon is a wonderful horse to ride. I barely had to lead her, and she never once threatened to bolt."

"She is a wise beast. But Melimo too is a joy to ride. He is in excellent shape, and received no injured from the fall. How is your head?"

"When we arrived two days ago it was nearly healed. Your medicine did the trick."

"I learnt from I wise Elf."

Later on that night all of Rivendell held a large feast for the company. It was nice to be back in the company of many Elves, not that he hadn't enjoyed being around Dwarves and folk. Elrond made a great speech during the feast in honor of Elentari, but to Callo's surprise she was not there. He looked around the room, yet ceased when he discovered she had merely stepped outside for some air.

Callo turned his attention back toward the feast and began talking with some Elves in the room. It was a joyous feast to end a long day of riding to the great city. The Rivendell Elves had their own way of not only mending physical but also mental wounds as well. It was very soothing to know he could sleep on something other than tree roots and stony grounds. He was truly grateful for passing through this place.
Old 05-25-2003, 01:55 PM   #35
Salix
Shade of Carn Dûm

Salix has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Since the Company had reached Rivendell, Farin had been restless. She didn't understand these Elves, always wanting to give feasts and congratulations. They hadn't done anything yet, except cross the Misty Mountains. Why couldn't they move onto their quest? All that was being achieved by stopping in Rivendell was wasting time in which the dragon could capture more elves and dwarves. She would have to tell Elentari her concerns. However, tonight there was a feast.

Farin sat, bored. She couldn't see Elentari for the elves surrounding. And here she sat, a small non-descript dwarf. Sometimes elves would look curiously at her. After all, she was a young dwarf. Suddenly Elentari stood and slipped outside. Farin followed. She found herself on a balcony with Elentari standing near the railing.
"Elentari?" asked Farin. Elentari turned.

"Yes?"

"I have been thinking. Shouldn't we be leaving soon? The longer we stay here, the more havoc the dragon can wreak."

"We will be leaving soon. We meant only to stop for some ponies for you and the other dwarves."

Farin nodded her thanks to Elentari and re-entered the feasting chamber.

[ May 25, 2003: Message edited by: Salix ]
Old 05-25-2003, 02:27 PM   #36
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Sting

Ewinda was glad that the company had reached Rivendell. She was tired after their journey and relived that Callo was alright.

She enjoyed very much the feast that was made for the company's honour. She used the opportunity to talk to the others, and by the end of the night there had been some really nice conversations.

Ewinda was on her way to bed when she saw that Elentari was back, she had been out, probably for some fresh air.

She went over to her “so are we leaving again tomorrow, or are we planning to stay for a couple of days?" she asked in a low voice.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:16 PM   #37
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

After Callo had been rescued the entire company except for Elentari left for Rivendell. In a few long days they finally had come to their destination. It was hidden in a small, beautiful, valley. There were waterfalls and trees, everywhere. Beautiful elves in bright colors could be seen wherever you looked. It was like a heavenly dream.

Elentari arrived shortly after the company had. A large feast was held and Rowan was overjoyed at the great welcome. The food had been amazing. Rowan had never been to such an event. Elrond was as wise and kind as tale told, and Rowan was delighted at meeting him. This would be a night to remember. He didn’t’ want to leave but he knew that his friends needed help and the dragon was still on breathing. We will leave soon he thought.

After the feast Rowan went to his bed. He hadn’t slept in a real bed for weeks and it was wonderful. His room was beautiful too. It was decorated with elven art and the walls and bed was decorated with elven designs in Burgundies, Deep Blues, and Silvers. Everything was so wonderful. But still Rowan couldn’t sleep. No matter where he was he was restless. He couldn’t sit still. He needed something to do. He walked outside to the back. It was very late and few were out. But still silver and gold lanterns twinkled like little stars. Silver drops of rain beat down steadily. They fell one by one like a single beating of a drum. It was so wonderful. Rowan had always loved the rain. In the deep blue-sky small stars shined. The moon was high in the air and Rowan could easily see craters like bruises on it. *Sigh* It was very late now and Rowan went back inside. He opened a window and then lay down in bed. He fell asleep to the rain-drum.

Birds sang sweetly. It was dawn and the sun was just rising. Rowan went outside. The rays of the sun cast a golden gleam upon everything around. Rowan decided to take a walk. The ground was slightly wet from the rain, and dew glistened on leaves, and petals of flowers. Many were stirring, and many elves were already up and about. I must find out what the plans for the day were, Rowan thought and quickly headed back to his room.

[ May 27, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 05-26-2003, 11:19 PM   #38
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

As the moon rose high in the sky over the gardens of Rivendell, a tall Elf walked across the lawns and made his way over to the guest house where the visitors had bunked for the night. Standing outside the door of the room which Elentari occupied, he knocked on her door with some hesitency and called out with a low voice, "Elentari, Elentari. I have need to speak to you."

He heard a rustle of fine linen as the Elf made her way to the door and gently pulled it open.

"Your pardon, fair lady," Elrond bowed to his lovely visitor. "I would fain not bother you so late tonight, when you have travelled so many miles on the road and sat with courtesy and grace this evening in the great hall. Yet, there are urgent matters of business on which I must speak."

Hearing this polite speech, Elentari nodded and asked Lord Elrond to step inside, offering him a sweet drink of red wine from the flagon that stood upon her table. She indicated he should draw up a chair and sit down near her.

Elrond sighed and then continued, "Elentari, I have great respect for your swift sword and deadly bow, yet I fear for you and those now in your company. The errand that you undertake is no small thing. We have heard tales of this wondrous dragon, for we see him as he flies across our own skies on his path from the Blue Mountains to the forests of Mirkwood. He is a beast of great might and strong will, not a creature who will give in easily to such a small band of adventurers."

Elentari stood up as if to argue with Elrond, but he shook his head and took her hand in his own.

"Nay, good lady. I will not tell you to turn back for I know the need is great. Too many have been carried off to the dragon's lair, and who knows what he does with them? I know you will not turn aside even if I were to stand and try to dissuade you."

"No, I will not do that. But there is one thing you must do for me. Your company goes to rescue dwarves and Elves. As head of Rivendell, it is my responsibility to assist those who venture out on such an errand. For some of those imprisoned are Elves well known to me from my previous dealings in Mirkwood."

"When it is time for you to leave, make your way to the stables where you will find horses have been provided for all those in your company who do not presently have them. I will take no money for these beasts, since it is you who do me a great favor in going out to battle this dragon. For who knows where his attention may turn next? That this beast should fly so far from the Blue Mountains across the Anduin and over to Mirkwood and Long Lake is quite unheard of. I wish you and your company all good luck, and hope that you stay a day or two to replenish your supplies and your spirits."

With this, he bade Elentari good evening and walked back towards the main compound, thinking long and hard on the great cold drake who awaited the company somewhere in the heart of the Blue Mountains.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:14 AM   #39
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Despite Elrond's request that the company tarry in Rivendell for several days to relax and mend their spirits, Elentari found that she was extremely restless and could scarcely close her eyes to sleep. When she finally drifted off into a troubled slumber, ahe awoke at the first hint of dawn and ran quickly to the kitchen to consider what provisions would be needed for the next leg of their journey.

Most of the day was spend on preparations for the road. Elves, dwarves and humans worked diligently together to pick out supplies for the trip, and bind them into neat packets that could be easily stored on the backs of ponies.

That evening, Elrond again entertained the company in his great hall. There was much singing and telling of tales, while a fine feast was laid out on the tables for all to enjoy, with platters of venison, crusty loaves of egg bread, and fat pies stuffed with fresh eels drawn from nearby mountain lakes, along with numerous other dishes. But the company did not linger long at theirmeal as they'd done the evening before, retiring to their bedchambers so they could get an early start in the morning as soon as the morning sun peeked over the horizon.

The next day found them on the trail shortly after daybreak. The Dwarves had warily mounted onto the backs of the ponies Elrond provided for them. There were even three extra steeds for the company's use. Provisions were strapped onto the backs of these small beasts, as the group quietly set out along the road after many good wishes and goodbyes had been exchanged.

With good weather and everyone on horseback, the company made excellent time for the next two days. For the first time, things seemed to be going smoothly. Callo and Selven were sent out by Elentari on an advance scouting party, and came back with the happy news that the Last Bridge lay just a half day ahead. Once they reached that junction, the rough terrain would give way to easier ground, and they'd be able to join up with the Great Eastern Road with a clear shot through to Bree.

The companions settled down for the night after a hasty meal around the campfire, making their beds under the overhanging branches of a small forest clearing. All the companions were tired, and looking forward to the next day when they would join up with the main road. In a short time, everyone in camp had fallen asleep, except for one Dwarf who had volunteered to remain awake and stand guard.

Once or twice, the Dwarf leaned out and cupped his hand up to his ear. He swore he could hear an insistent rustling of leaves or other noises off in the woods, but he could never be totally sure. A quick look around the perimeter of the camp failed to turn up anything other than the normal inhabitants of the forest. The dwarf came and sat back down on a nearby tree trunk, his head nodding once or twice as he struggled to hold off sleep.

[ May 29, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 05-29-2003, 08:32 AM   #40
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Vráin sat in the chill dusk, wrapped in his cloak. He huddled near a small fire and fed it with dry sticks and bark. Flames flickered on the leafless tree trunks nearby and dyed them red.

Vráin gazed over the camp at his sleeping companions and cursed his luck. How on earth had Gráin managed to trick him like this - again? Vráin tried to think back to the earlier conversation but he was quite sure there had not been any talk on watches. "You noticed it too? Yes, Vráin's a real sleepyhead, as our mother always calls him. He could never be up all night! Am I right, Vráin?" These words exclaimed by Gráin had evidently sent Vráin off balance and he had answered something rash; for the next thing he knew was that everyone thanked him for taking the night watch and then they were off to bed - leaving him pondering what had just happened.

Vráin sighed heavily but the sigh ended in long yawn. The day and travel had been long though they hadn't had to use their own legs anymore. Vráin eyed the grazing horses and ponies still a bit distrustfully. Solid ground, that's what a dwarf needs under his feet.

Vráin stood up and trodded back and forth kicking pebbles. I will not give Gráin the pleasure to find me fast asleep in the morning! he thought and fought the drowsiness. Some small rodent squeaked in the bushes. Vráin picked up a small stone and threw it where he thought the sound came from. There was a rustle and a soft thump as the rock hit its target. But Vráin had no time to triumph for presently there came another rustling sound – from the other side of the camp.

Vráin was at once alert and fully awake. The air was now still, there was no wind blowing in the boughs. Vráin crept across the open place and halted near where his companions slept. He observed the forest in the dieing light of the fire. Everything was peaceful and Vráin started to doubt his own ears. Some of the Elves and Men stirred in their sleep. Maybe that was the sound that I heard.

Vráin walked back to what was now a red ember. He sat down and leaned back to a tree trunk. His eyelids weighed like lead and sleep got the better of his will more than once.

~~~~~~~~~~

Once again Vráin started awake when his beard touched his knees. This won't do, he mused. Vráin stood up and tried to shake off the drowsiness. He chose an old stump by the dying fire for his next seat. Sitting on it he couldn't fall asleep without at once falling down.

Vráin was just about to stir the live coals when he heard the rustle again, now louder and clearer. There was no doubt anymore: some wild beast was near, lurking about the camp.

The blade of Vráin’s axe gleamed in the dark as he drew it from his belt. He opened his mouth for a call but then snapped it shut. What if it’s just a rabbit? Wouldn’t Gráin just love that! No, I’ll go alone and show him!

Once more Vráin slipped past the sleeping Elves, Men and Dwarves and then dashed into the shadows.

[ June 02, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]