The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-20-2011, 08:25 AM   #401
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
So, after yesterday's profound & exhaustive discussion of meat, cement and other vegetables, some actual reading tonight?
Old 11-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #402
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
On the 4th and 5th of Dhmheieaghember I'll have time earlier in the day, so we can have reasonable times for everyone.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #403
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
3rd and 4th for me, not 4th and 5th.

Would anyone like to do some reading this weekend?

Old 11-30-2011, 02:10 PM   #404
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Sure. (Or rather, sschouürrhe.)
Old 12-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #405
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'll try to be online!
Old 12-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #406
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I just might be able to give this a try come the weekend... if that is okay?

What would be the time? I can stay up later on Saturday than on Sunday (Monday morning a wake-up call about 6AM).
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #407
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I just might be able to give this a try come the weekend... if that is okay?
Impossible! This is a most exclusive club; we don't just let anybody join.[/irony]
Welcome to the madding crowd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
What would be the time? I can stay up later on Saturday than on Sunday (Monday morning a wake-up call about 6AM).
We usually start sometime after 8pm (though it can get later till everybody's assembled), and it's not unusual for people to join late, or drop out early and come back later (or not); the end is pretty much open (and often not before people have talked themselves into an ear- & throatache).
Old 12-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #408
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Jaiuoij!

We're all mad here! (We're also meat here)

I'm available earlier on Saturday, until about 4 pm MST (1 a.m. Finntime, midnight Pitch&Legatetime, 11 p.m. Teatime), beginning as early as anyone wants. On Sunday I can chat early but maybe not read.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #409
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Ai ai, I just remembered I'm at a birthday party tomorrow. But I'd be available on Sunday, and time would be no concern as I'm working late on Monday.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #410
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Ai ai, I just remembered I'm at a birthday party tomorrow. But I'd be available on Sunday, and time would be no concern as I'm working late on Monday.
So you have a party on Friday and are available only on Sunday? Hmm... must be quite a party.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #411
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Dang, I meant a party on Saturday, of course. Wishful thinking today was Friday already...
Old 12-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #412
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
You guys make me laugh.

If we're doing a reading, what are we going to read? Suggestions? What were you supposed to read last time?
Old 12-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #413
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
What were you supposed to read last time?
Meat.

OK, what happened in LotR in early December? Nothing (Fellowship still at Rivendell), except lots of hanging around in the Hall of Fire, Elves singing, ladidadida. And in TH? I guess they were on the way back or some such. Not much action either. So I guess anything's possible, depending on how many people we get together.

Blargh. Trying hard to look helpful without being helpful. Clearly a wolf.
++Pitch
Old 12-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #414
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aww, poor Pitch!

Now that we have both Pitch and Nog on board, would it be presumptuous of me to suggest we read some Tom Bombadil stuff? Or have you read it before? Or are there enough roles?
Old 12-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #415
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Aww, poor Pitch!
Don't remind me!

Quote:
Now that we have both Pitch and Nog on board, would it be presumptuous of me to suggest we read some Tom Bombadil stuff? Or have you read it before? Or are there enough roles?
We did indeed read The Old Forest/In the House of Tom Bombadil in the unforgettable Night of the Kazoo (q.v. above). We could read Fog on the Barrow Downs, I think that was discussed at one time but never actually done.

Narrator
Frodo
Sam
Merry
Pippin
Bombadil
BarryWight
7 roles.

Rather hefty for the amount of people we tend to have participating these days, but the Barrow-wight actually has only a few lines of poetry and could do another role as well, and someone could probably do two of the hobbits or some such.

I'd like to hear Nog as Bombadil for a change, I think he's the better singer.

Speaking of you, Nog, if we do an actual reading again this time, would you by any chance have the tech wizardry to record it?
Old 12-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #416
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

If I'm there, I want to be the Barrow-Wight! Because, you know, I'm drawn to everything evil.

And Pitch you don't really want me to play in Boro's WW now do you (I'm trying to weigh whether I have enough time or not)?
Old 12-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #417
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
And Pitch you don't really want me to play in Boro's WW now do you (I'm trying to weigh whether I have enough time or not)?
Nonsense! Of course I do! Pretty please?
(Although if you don't I'll forgive you as long as you promise to play in mine.)

EDIT: By all means go for the Barrow-wight! I can hear that poem in your voice, it sounds awsome.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #418
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Well, you're offering me quite a challenge... singing Tom and being a tech-wizard.

Hmm... well, if we are doing the Barrow Downs scene, I can give Tom a try, but I can't promise anything for the recording stuff (I can't record anything online as such as I need to hear things myself, but I'll see if I could put up some monitoring stuff to overcome that).

Anyone knowing Skype better than me (which isn't a lot) having an idea if Skype calls can be recorded from the program itself?

Anyway. How many are we going to be? Oddwen, Aganzir, Pitchwife & me?

Now I know Legate has come to Finland today, so which would be the odds to get him + Lommy & Greenie to join if this would take place on Sunday evening? I can ask them - and you Aganzir should do it as well...

With that much more people around we might consider some scene with more characters...
Old 12-03-2011, 05:54 AM   #419
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I am very tempted to make time for this reading! You all know I love reading aloud and I'd be delighted to "meet" all of you again virtually. Is this now planned for Sunday? Approximately when (CET)? And I'll need someone to help me if I don't find my way to the Skype meeting place...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #420
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Grr, to Mordor with schedule changes without warning. I won't be able to chat tomorrow, but I'll be on, if distracted by cooking, from now until I pass out from chocolate consumption or sleep.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #421
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

for there being no Oddwen tomorrow. (I got home from the party half an hour ago and may hang around for an hour or so, if you're still interested in a little chat.)

On the other hand, for the chance of an Esty tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
Is this now planned for Sunday? Approximately when (CET)?
Apparently. As to when, these things usually just tend to happen sooner or later in the European evening, but with Nog having to get up early on Monday, we might actually try to agree on a time in advance - how does, say, 8pm Esty's and my time sound to you all? Or earlier, since you Finns are an hour or two ahead of us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
And I'll need someone to help me if I don't find my way to the Skype meeting place...
Just click on the Skype icon under my avvie, send me a text message and I'll add you.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:33 AM   #422
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Well... I may need to withdraw this evening's reading. I'm not being definitive as yet, but I hold it more probable than not.

I only realised yesterday evening that I have a way too many essays to read for the next week (and I have full workdays every day & theatre- and choir performances etc. almost every evening) so I may be in some trouble actually - especially as Legate, Lommy & Greenie are coming to my place the next weekend and I'd hate to read essays during their visit... (the deadline is next Monday)

But if you are doing it somewhat later in the evening, like 8 or 9 PM GMT (Finland is in +2 hours I think), I might be able to join if a) I have managed to read enough essays before then, or b) if I'm tired enough just not to read any more of the essays.

But if that later time is bad for you others, don't wait for me as it is fairly possible I will not have a chance to join anyway.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:36 AM   #423
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

That's 9 Finntime, it should be doable. I have an enormous amount of schoolwork to catch up with and a demonstration to organise for Saturday, but all that means is that I should stop procrastinating now.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #424
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Just came home from a lengthy walk and need ~2h to cook our dinner, but after that I'll be available for the rest of the evening, whenever it suits you all.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #425
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I'm online and on Skype - anyone lurking please let me know so I can find you!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 12-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #426
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Agan and I are online now. Get on board!
Old 12-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #427
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

My username is scavengerlikeme - add me or Pitch (whose name is on his profile) or preferably both!
Old 12-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #428
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

We just read Fog on the Barrow-Downs. Esty narrated, Pitch did Frodo & Tom Bombadil and I was the Barrow-Wight and the rest of the hobbits. As a special guest, we had The Barrow-Wight himself, who only listened this time though. It was great fun.

Now sally is here as well and we might read another chapter. If someone else is around, they're welcome to join!
Old 12-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #429
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

The three of us read another passage, this time with Sally as audience - another Downer who dares to join in without having a book at hand! We shall have to charge admission!

We read the second half of "The Stairs of Cirith Ungol", with Pitch narrating, Agan speaking Frodo, and Esty taking on the task of two such diverse roles as Sam and Gollum. Yess, Preciousss!
Old 12-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #430
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Esty makes a fantastic Gollum. Who would have believed?
Old 12-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #431
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

So she does. I felt she was a particularly fitting choice for this chapter, where Gollum is on the brink of redemption - her performance brought out Sméagol's loneliness, his longing for company and his budding affection for Frodo as well as Gollum's hidden sneaky-creepiness very well.

Agan was very convincing too, both as a scary Barrow-wight and as exhausted, ring-weary Frodo offset nicely by Esty's happy-go-lucky Sam.

I very much enjoyed talking to both of you again - it's been a while since Finlandmoot. And having The Barrow-Wight (Himself) join our conversation spontaneously and be our audience was a unique experience - a bit like having the Prime Minister for dinner and a bit like sighting Nessie. I'd like to testify that he isn't anywhere near as scary as his Middle-earth namesake, but very friendly and pleasant to talk to. Thanks for attending, Mr. Wight, and for the kind words you found for our little project!
Old 12-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #432
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Quote:
Esty makes a fantastic Gollum. Who would have believed?
I guess you just bring out the wurst in me!
Old 12-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #433
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I can't believe I missed this!
Old 12-16-2011, 01:07 PM   #434
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Any chance of another in the near future?
Old 12-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #435
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Annnnnyone gonna be around Skype on Sunday morning/ early afternoon?

Old 12-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #436
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Alas, Sunday night (from around 4 PM GMT on) is beyond my limits. However I agree with Eönwë we should have a new reading soon!
Old 01-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #437
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'd like to Skype again now that I'm back from California. When would be convenient for everybody?
Old 01-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #438
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

I'm available the weekend of the 28th and 29th unless I'm not.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:02 AM   #439
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

It's exam season, so when I'm not working I'm sure I'll have a few hours here and there. Most weekeds should this month should be ok. But not next week.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:54 PM   #440
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Would anyone like to do some reading or participate in general silliness on the 28th and 29th? I have a rare weekend off and can be on at any time.