The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-19-2014, 05:08 AM   #41
Sarumian
Wight

Sarumian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
Mm much like WCH I think too much is made of this sensing the presence of, you know, po-wah. Sure, Gandalf and the Balrog could sense each other in Moria but only (as I remember it) when they had just a door between them and when they were using their magic in direct conflict.
Honestly, I was joking and think, the matter of Sauron's "elf-dar" is a red herring. We know that the presence of big baddies in proximity was felt by all creatures. Nazgul are known for sending even big formations into panic, while the proximity of the Balrog even Aragorn, who was able to sustain the terror of five Nazgul, as well as Legolas, who later successfully shoot a Nazgul over the Great river with his arrow, have got unwilling to raise their arms. Even Barrow wights paralysed and confused those in their presence.

It seemed to me, big Goodies produced some effect on baddies too. Orks probably hated the aura of Loth-Lorien and were unable to fight there properly. The sight of an elf-lord in his wrath contributed to the panic among Nazgul at the Ford. Gullum naturally suffered of everything made by elves (even elves of Mirkwood).

I am not saying Sauron could search ME with just gazing from his Tower, but let's not forget that both Galladriel and Gandalf were able to fight his mind on a great distance. And if Galladriel's location was known, Sauron could hardly have expected an assault from Gandalf the White sitting high, looking far... ))))

But the real matter was the travel through Mordor. Hobbits were extremely capable of stay unnoticed when they wanted so. A presence of an elf-lord in Mordor could have been disclosed easier.

The other thing that could have come to Gandalf's mind (we cannot know) was that as hobbits were not known to the folk of Mordor, it would be possible to send the enemy on a false trail, as it happened in the end. If Pipin and Mery would have promptly entered Minath Tirith, the enemy would have located the Ring in a wrong way.
Sarumian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:17 PM   #42
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Pipe

Quote:
Originally posted by Alfirin

If Saruman was left completely unopposed, it is likely that his plan would have suceeded. Theoden would have probably been dead or impotent, Eomer would likey have been caught and excuted, Grima would be married to Eowyn and probably in charge of Rohan meaning Saruman would be in charge), Fangorn would probably be leveled and the massacred (they were the turning point in the assault, but would they have done so well had they had to try and take down Isengard entirely on thier own, especially or even if Rohan was on Saruman's side. And that's assuming that, in the absence of Merry and Pippen the Ent Moot would even have worked). No Rohan, no help for Minas Tirith, (including no Dead men of Dunharrow, no Gandalf to buy time agaist the WK and no Eowyn to slay him, so the siege would likey have suceeded. Gandalf maybe believe that his missing will not have failed if anything remains intact, but when faced with the likelyhood of that "anything" basically consisting of the Shire and Bree (if that) might give even him pause.
I'd disagree with some of this as an alternate scenario.

1) Lorien, Rivendell, the Shire, and particularly the Lonely Mountain and dale would have been unaffected, and with Sauron possibly being destroyed a few days earlier with Gandalf along to hurry up Frodo towards Mount Doom, Eriador and Rhovannion would be even less effected by inroads of Sauron's forces---held back anyway at the siege of Erebor.
2) A few more days/weeks of Saruman burning the fringes of Fangorn would not have affected most of the forest, have even more enraged the ents.
3) The Ents would have had an even easier time at Isengard since the bulk of his army would have been further away, occupying Helm's deep and far to the East around Edoras.
4) While it's probable much of Rohan and also Minis Tirith would have been occupied it's quite likely Aragorn would mhave led resisitance fighters into the White Mountains (through the secret passages alluded to in LoTR).
5) Given the resistance put up by the Rohirrim even during the Long Winter (see Helm Hammerhand) there would probably be resistance on both sides of the White Mountains.
6) It's not necessarily a good thing to be the king if you're Grima Wormtongue and scheme to marry Eowyn. Best not doze off, GW.

In short, a largely intact north, a south (Gondor and Rohan) with bad loss of people and material, but recoverable---and an even more heroic (for Gondorians) King, sort of like Alfred the Great after Athelney.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:24 AM   #43
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarumian View Post
But the real matter was the travel through Mordor. Hobbits were extremely capable of stay unnoticed when they wanted so. A presence of an elf-lord in Mordor could have been disclosed easier.
Yes but I believe that Elves were said to be even better than Hobbits at moving without a sound and being stealthy and all. There are many stories from the First Age involving Elf-Lords that strengthen this view too. Plus, as I said, an Elf of Rivendell would have many other skills, in fex. fighting, magic, geography, language, lore, woodsmanship that could've been invaluable, skills the Hobbits could not match at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarumian View Post
The other thing that could have come to Gandalf's mind (we cannot know) was that as hobbits were not known to the folk of Mordor, it would be possible to send the enemy on a false trail, as it happened in the end. If Pipin and Mery would have promptly entered Minath Tirith, the enemy would have located the Ring in a wrong way.
Hehe that thought struck me too, that they were brought along as, well, bait. Sauron and Saruman snapping their jaws at the halfling not realising that there are several running across their lands. Would seem a tad cynical of old Gandalf though...

But you know, I'm really just playing the devil's advocate. This is supposed to be the Hobbits' story, I get that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arathorn111 View Post
Skip sense
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morth
We've been saying that about Skip for years.
What, skip sense, I don't get it :P
Old 01-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #44
Sarumian
Wight

Sarumian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
But you know, I'm really just playing the devil's advocate. This is supposed to be the Hobbits' story, I get that.
Well, me too, or, rather an elven advocate, who just is desperate to find rational arguments defending a High Elf from being accused of cowardice.

I think your arguments are absolutely valuable. But I also believe that the nature of Glorfindel's mission in Middle Earth was more about guarding the Last Homely House rather than marching on Barad-dur.
Sarumian is offline   Reply With Quote