The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-27-2006, 11:54 PM   #1041
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
I assign my university's library site being down right when I need to find information about the virulence of Syphilis and HOPEFULLY find something about the virulence of Neurosyphilis.

I also assign my presentation about Syphilis, but to be sent on Saturday as I need to present on Friday. My partner can get shipped to Mordor ASAP.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:49 PM   #1042
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I assign to Mordor the grottier, busier parts of London, namely Oxford Street and Piccadilly Circus. I can't understand the attraction myself. The shops there are identical to the shops in other towns in the UK but more hectic. Why do people want to go into chain store hell and suffer for the privilege? And the coffee shops? Starbucks? That wants to go to Mordor too for the prices they charge. Stray just a little from the beaten path in London and you will find some amazing places, such as Soho, Bloomsbury and Covent Garden (not the Piazza though, which is also uninspiring), which are filled with unusual shops, independent cafes and proper pubs.

Plus, Shaftesbury Avenue has nerd central shopping heaven, AKA Forbidden Planet and Orcs' Nest. Bring many pennies...

And while I'm on my rant, I wish people would remember that in the UK we like to form orderly lines at every opportunity.

And there's more... I send to Mordor the business owners who decide it's OK to rip off visitors who don't know the value of the Pound. £4 for a dish of soup?! And £20 for a bus tour when you can get a number 15 right from Hyde Park to the Tower for £1.50?
Old 03-28-2006, 02:03 PM   #1043
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Caveat emptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë

And while I'm on my rant, I wish people would remember that in the UK we like to form orderly lines at every opportunity.

And there's more... I send to Mordor the business owners who decide it's OK to rip off visitors who don't know the value of the Pound. £4 for a dish of soup?! And £20 for a bus tour when you can get a number 15 right from Hyde Park to the Tower for £1.50?
That is the same in many major cities with sky high overheads. In Barcelona I paid about 4Euros for the equivalent of a one day travel card rather than E20 for a hop on/off bus trip. Some people are prepared to pay for convenience. Otherwise a little research and a decent guidebook can save you a fortune. And they charge nearly that for soup in the very ordinary pub round the corner from me. Though while any one would ever want to drink soup beats me ..... now if you want to send soup to Mordor....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 02:05 PM   #1044
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I will have you know that soup is considered an holy substance amongst the bebraced.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 02:20 PM   #1045
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
I will have you know that soup is considered an holy substance amongst the bebraced.

Amongst the what? Anything that can't decide whether it is food or drink is probably holy only to the toothless...

Old 03-28-2006, 02:22 PM   #1046
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Amongst the what? Anything that can't decide whether it is food or drink is probably holy only to the toothless...
Bebraced: people with braces- who tend to get food stuck in their teeth.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:24 PM   #1047
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
Bebraced: people with braces- who tend to get food stuck in their teeth.

Oh - dental braces .. not the things for holding trousers up then? I was very confused...

Old 03-28-2006, 03:04 PM   #1048
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I assign the word "bebraced" and the way I couldn't figure out what a 'beb-ruh-sed" was for the longest time.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:08 PM   #1049
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
You can send Oxford Street to Mordor, Lalwende, as long as I get to take John Lewis off it first....
Old 03-29-2006, 02:29 AM   #1050
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The 1,000 Reader is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
I assign people who don't stop and try to think about things to Mordor.
"And forth went Morgoth, and he was halted by the elves. Then went Sauron, who was stopped by a dog and then aged men. Finally, there came the Witch-King, who destroyed Arnor, but nobody seems to remember that."

-A History of Villains
The 1,000 Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:23 AM   #1051
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
I don't know... that doesn't sound the way it does in my head. So let me simplify: I assign to Mordor the moment when it dawns on you that you won't miss your hometown- your beloved hometown. That there's nothing tying you down...
Try straying four whole years from your (beloved optional) hometown and coming back to realize that it doesn't really feel like "home" anymore. I haven't talked to my neighborhood friends for more than five years already, and sometimes it feels as if we never really knew each other. And mostly I think it's my fault for studying far away from home...
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:31 AM   #1052
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
I assign the word "bebraced" and the way I couldn't figure out what a 'beb-ruh-sed" was for the longest time.
Come now. You don't want this to blow up into another debate on language do you?

I assign the uncommonness of the prefix be-. It's wonderful to pronounce. It should exist more often.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:35 AM   #1053
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Oh, but Daga'y, I like debates on language.

Business trips that take husbands away for a whole week are hereby beMordered.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:37 AM   #1054
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
The temporary malfunctioning of the brain, as illustrated below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Essay Thus Far
Apartheid is bad. It still existed very recently. And then it went away. Everyone was happy. Well, not exactly. But things were / are definitely looking up. Oh yeah, it´s in South Africa. And it was all our fault. But maybe we can somehow blame the French for it. Or the Americans.
Someday soon I shall assign myself to Mordor.
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:42 AM   #1055
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailín
The temporary malfunctioning of the brain...
Ah, you aren't alone there Cailín. I've been persuaded to play in a fundraiser concert next month and have to write my biography for it. It looks like this:
Quote:
/Insert my real name here/ (Class of 2007), is really quite boring and couldn't come up with anything interesting to say about herself, but decided to say it anyway because she had to write a biography for this program. She plays the viola and on occasion the piano. [Celuien] doesn't really know what she wants to be when she grows up, but is leaning strongly towards a career in ophthalmology. Or maybe radiology…
Pathetic.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:48 AM   #1056
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Celuien, you cheer me up.

Uh... uh... to stay on topic... I assign unidentified boxershorts. Gross.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:13 PM   #1057
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Celuien, you cheer me up.
Glad to hear it.

Ahem. To return to topic, I assign being so horribly out of practice on my viola that just playing for an hour or two makes my hand sore and achy. And being like that with a concert on April 23...
Old 03-29-2006, 03:36 PM   #1058
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
*sigh* Psychology essays. It's the last day of term tomorrow and what does my psych teacher demand we do? A full blown exam question Worst thing is I know I'll distract myself (e.g. this post) and not get to bed until 2am and yet . . . I'm still here!
Old 03-29-2006, 03:51 PM   #1059
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I send myself to Mordor!!! Modding ww is not as easy as it seems! Mods, I have learned should not bluff to make the game more interesting.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:46 PM   #1060
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
I assign Nationals for robotics being on the same day as the State French Pronunciation Contest. I qualified for State and my team qualified for Nationals and there's no way (unless someone invents a teleportation device before April 29th, 2006) that I can be in both Atlanta, Georgia and Lacrosse, Wisconsin on the same morning. Argh!
Old 03-30-2006, 04:26 PM   #1061
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

People who not only don't appreciate your help, but actively try to make things difficult for you because you've tried to help them should go to Mordor.

Said behavior is giving me one of those Mordorian depressed moods. Ick.

And now I'm thinking of re-assigning myself to Mordor because I feel guilty about being upset by this.

Oh well. It's springtime. That should give me an excuse to go to the Shire and forget about all of this nonsense.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:10 AM   #1062
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Narya

I assign surgery wait lists....ugh, I hate them soooo much
Naria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 06:48 AM   #1063
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
I assign mornings upon which the weather conspires to blanket this city in a stifling layer of sulphuric stench emanating from the paper manufactory. It makes my nose burn, smells like sewage, and there is no escape as the city lies in a river valley.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:35 AM   #1064
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I assign round robin forward things that are completely impersonal (albeit quite nice). Apparently it's National Friendship Week, so this email is going round saying send this to all your friends so they know they're special.

Don't you think it would be more special to send them something personalised? Or to actually go and see them if possible, or to ring them, or even to IM them?

It just seems like it's an easy measure.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:52 AM   #1065
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

While we're at it, can I assign the feeling of guilt when you get one of those from...say...your mother-in-law. And you delete it as soon as you realize what it is...
Old 03-31-2006, 12:37 PM   #1066
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Lets just have done with it an assign all worthless chain emails, spam, and junk emails...
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:07 PM   #1067
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

People who give you too much information about their medical conditions / treatments. It's not that I am unsympathetic... ok maybe it is... but save it for your doctor - they went to medical school for years and get paid lots of money for that privilege

Old 03-31-2006, 01:35 PM   #1068
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
You can send Oxford Street to Mordor, Lalwende, as long as I get to take John Lewis off it first....
Too late! But we have a perfectly good one in Sheffield, even though it does remind you of Grace Brothers. I once nearly went to work at the London branch too, but I decided to remain provincial.

I assign to Mordor all forms of tidying up, reorganising the house and that spring urge to pick up tools and do DIY! You just want your house to look nice and tidy but in the process it is just one huge tip, and just to add insult to injury, you also have to go shopping in B&Q and IKEA (and have to be dragged away from buying more lovely, soft cushions...though the trip was enlivened by seeing ABBA Herrings in the Sweden shop). Then you have to sit up until 1am assembling flat pack and retuning your entire home entertainment set up which has gone wrong due to having to be unplugged. This hurts all the more as it is keeping me from the garden during an unusual sunny spell.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:07 PM   #1069
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
Too late! But we have a perfectly good one in Sheffield, even though it does remind you of Grace Brothers. I once nearly went to work at the London branch too, but I decided to remain provincial.
Would you be speaking of Grace Brothers from Are You Being Served? I absolutely love that show, but unfortunately the very evil Wiscinsin Public Television keeps taking it off the air or changing the time it's on. One of my earliest memories is of my parents watching Are You Being Served? and especially of Mrs. Slocum's ever-changing hair. But I think this discussion belongs more in the Shire than Mordor...

College junk mail. I get tons of it in the regular mail every day and a fairly steady stream through e-mail. Almost all of it is from places I've never heard of and don't want to go to. Not to mention the enormous amount of paper wasted on mail I don't even open.

On a similar note, junkmail for senior pictures. I seem to be getting a bunch of this lately too. Fortunately, my best friend's aunt is a photographer and is willing to barter with me for pictures, so I don't have to pay any of those exorbitant prices!

Realizing I'll be getting back from Nationals for robotics (a 1,000+ mile drive) the night before I have not one, but two AP tests. I'm dead. The only good part about that situation is that the tests (English and French) are ones I would be able to take again next year without too much studying.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:22 PM   #1070
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The ubiquity of "bling" may be beMordored. 'Nuff said.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 03:51 PM   #1071
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Stupid doctors.

"So, what seems to be the problem?"

"I can't breathe you moron."

"Ah, well, let's see. No there's nothing wrong here."

*Tears hair out in frustration*
Old 04-02-2006, 11:56 AM   #1072
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Catalogues that seem to think that buying clothes should be a quasi- religious experience. I mean I like to shop as much as the next girl but a teeshirt with a bit of ribbon is not enough to provoke Teresa d'Avila style rapture.....shoes and handbags might though

Old 04-03-2006, 03:02 AM   #1073
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

"Hollaback."

Annoying "word," that.

Quote:
Someday soon I shall assign myself to Mordor.
I shall be ready with a big "Welcome to Mordor, Cailín!" banner, and we'll be feasting on soda and white chocolate.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:37 AM   #1074
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Tornado warnings that wake up up in the middle of the night. Well, not the warnings, but the waking up part...
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:54 AM   #1075
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
When a routine print job turns into an hour long adventure. Easy enough... mail myself the file, cross campus to my room, print it, go back. But noooo, my computer won't support PDFs. Quick run to the library to convert it to a JPG, but the mac lab is full. Sneak in because I NEED a mac for this; the file won't open. Finally get it open, it's the wrong size. Finally get it converted, resend it, get back to print, realize my printer's out of ink. Track down somebody that's around, anybody, please anybody? Somebody be here? I left my food in the studio... I want my scone. My latte is cold now and I need to print this and go get the photo emulsion stuff ready. Find somebody, beg use of her printer, and do you realize how long it takes to print a photo image on transparency at photo quality?

Now that was an adventure and my teacher's going to flip her lid when I finally get back since I've been gone since about 10:00. Mordor, Mordor, Mordor.

Edit: throw in the accidental inhalation of volatile chemicals. Oops. Coughing and aching lungs probably aren't a good thing.

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 04-04-2006 at 09:51 AM.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:06 PM   #1076
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The aptly named "Hell Week" -- a.k.a. the last week before a performance of a play/musical, in this case, Les Miserables. This is the first time I've been involved in a school play, and I've heard tell of Hell Week and witnessed the weariness and misery of my friends who are in drama, but now I'm finally living it for myself. It's only Tuesday and already I'm beat -- and I'm just in the pit orchestra!

Even so, it's ever so much fun.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:02 PM   #1077
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Worrying about things when they are already out of your control. Simply put: grades.

It's like getting to the final two of Survivor and only realizing how rotten you have been all those 38 days when you're already in front of the jury.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:14 PM   #1078
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
I shall be ready with a big "Welcome to Mordor, Cailín!" banner, and we'll be feasting on soda and white chocolate.
Then I shall definitely know I am in Mordor, as both those things are equally unappealing. Still, I appreciate the gesture.

I failed theoretical grammar. I am more preoccupied with flirting with my group members than actually writing my research. I have no time for the Downs and yet I am here.

Mordor, here I come.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:24 PM   #1079
Iris Alantiel
Haunting Spirit

Iris Alantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I assign my Fantasy professor, who lectures on Tolkien without knowing anything about him and then labels him as racist, sexist, and simplistic, and who makes us regurgitate pointless things on our exams (like publication dates or minor moments between unimportant characters from books we read eight months ago). To Mordor with thee, fiend!
Iris Alantiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:30 AM   #1080
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
ewww, ewww, ewww. I am sending the most disgusting stuff ever to Mordor. It is called Sen-Sen. I hate it soooo much!!! I smells like soap and black licorice, which is so gross! My Sister-in-law was eating some the other day and decided to blow the gross stench my way. MEANIE!!! I should send her to Mordor maybe.... No ok I can't do that...I love her too much to subject her to Mordor. But still, it does make me gag...so eeewwwwww!