The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-27-2003, 06:29 AM   #81
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

So....how do you think the death of Sauron should go? Visuals? sounds? (That shaking vibration from the lower register tones might work well! ex.-*the door opening at bag end when Gandalf enters, the trolls opening the black gates*) Hmmmm can't wait to see it!
Old 06-27-2003, 06:32 AM   #82
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Sauron's death should just be the same as how he 'died' at the Battle of the Last Alliance. That was a perfect scene.
Old 06-27-2003, 06:36 AM   #83
barandilwen
Animated Skeleton

barandilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

i argee with liriodendron and meela. i think thats sauron's death should be more focused on so that it can make a great impact to the audience. im so thrilled to watch the movie!!! <p>[ June 27, 2003: Message edited by: barandilwen ]
Old 06-27-2003, 11:07 AM   #84
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

I don't really think that Sauron is shown as a huge threat. It seems as though Saruman is more powerful now, and more worth focusing on. Like, Sauron is only the Dark Lord... oh no, not a big threat at all! I don't think he has been shown enough, especially as the main source of evil. Do you all get the same impression?
Old 06-27-2003, 11:30 AM   #85
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Yup, I definitely do. It's almost as if Sauron is just this huge, comic flaming eyeball out to take over the world like Dr. Evil, and Saruman is the actual, intelligent villain, when it's actually the other way around. Sauron is far more intelligent than Saruman could ever be.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 01:30 PM   #86
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree as well. That's why I think Sauron will be a big part of RotK from a very early stage and Saruman will also be killed off early in the film. Saruman has been the main villian for two films but it is time for him to make room for the big guy.<P>H.C.
Old 06-28-2003, 10:05 AM   #87
Lily

Lily has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lily
Shield

I wish PJ would put in the Scouring of the Shire sooo bad but he has to cut it out because there's not enough time! I wonder why that is!! anyway I also wish PJ did the Eowyn Merry Ringwraith part good!! And the battle part good! And well I just hope he didn't screw it up and make all these other parts that aren't in the book!!!! If it's not in the book don't put it in the movie!!geez!
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 08:10 PM   #88
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I wish PJ would put in the Scouring of the Shire sooo bad but he has to cut it out because there's not enough time! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It is not just because there is insufficient time. The climax of the film will be reached with the Ring being thrown into Mount Doom and the defeat of Sauron, thus releasing the tension built up throughout most of the film. We will then have the happy scene of Aragorn's coronation and his marriage to Arwen and the bittersweet resolution of Frodo's Quest at the Grey Havens. To intersperse these scenes with another tension raising scene involving the Hobbits fighting for their Shire, while fine in the book (and it is one of my favourite chapters too), would not work well in film terms.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:55 PM   #89
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Ring

I <B>REALLY</B> want to see Gandalf confront Saruman. That was my favorite part of TTT and they left it out of the movie. It made me so mad! <P>Also, I would really like to see Gollum's betrayal of Sam and Frodo to Shelob done well.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:05 PM   #90
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I cannot fathom how they plan to fit the entire last 1/4 of the Two Towers while still fitting in the plot of Return of the King into 3 short hours and satisfying die hard fans like myself. However I have no doubt that Peter Jackson will be able to accomplish such a task. <P>For my part, I anticipate a very well-done interpretation of the confrontation between Gandalf and Saruman. In fact, anything less than an epic rendition of this scene would be a disappointment to me, as the Voice of Saruman is one of the best chapters in the Two Towers. I would also like to see an excellent portrayal of the battle outside the Black Gates, and the Grey Havens will be, I'm sure, a tear-jerker. <P>I can't wait for the Special Edition of the Two Towers, or the Special edition of Return of the King, which I am sure will be the longest because of the vast extent of the material that (sadly) must surely be left out to make Rotk a consumer-friendly 3-hour film.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:59 AM   #91
barandilwen
Animated Skeleton

barandilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i think they aren't going to be able to fit the ttt and rotk in three hours... i agree with everyone who thinks the same way as i do!!!! yipeee!!!!
Old 06-30-2003, 06:05 AM   #92
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Eye

Pellenor fields and Shelob. They are so cool. I like big battles anyway. Ohw let's not forget at the gate of Mordor. What was it's name again? I lost it.<P>A question: Lossie tolled me that they are going to leave out the scorging of the Shire. Please tell me they are not.<P>Abedithon le,<P>Anuion
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 07:22 AM   #93
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Lossie tolled me that they are going to leave out the scorging of the Shire. Please tell me they are not.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Sorry to disppoint you, Helka, but they are. Jackson has, I think, confirmed this in a number of interviews.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:38 AM   #94
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Yes, & I think Wormtounge slitting Saruman's throat & throwing him out of a window, or off the top of Orthanc, at Isengard simply confirmed it further...
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 01:38 AM   #95
Lasgalen
Wight

Lasgalen has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

From what I've heard, Scouring was never filmed so it won't even be in the SE DVD.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:44 AM   #96
Esgarcilion

Question

Well, it would be great if we could see an intense scene when Sam takes the ring
Old 07-01-2003, 05:16 AM   #97
helkahothion

Eye

Darn, that is such a shame Sauce. But now it makes no sence and Sam's gift is worth scrap. There won't even be a Hobbit Battle. I was so looking forward to that. I think Maika was too, Hobbits dying . <P>It's a damn shame anyway. Now you can't see how desperate Saruman was in his search for control. It's a real shame. It's one of the greatest battles of the Periannath, and they just whipe it out. Bet they are going to focuse more on Gondor and stuff. Ohw well, they can't take Pellenor fields away from us no do they? <P>Abedithon le
Old 07-01-2003, 07:07 AM   #98
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>...the gate of Mordor.What was it's name again? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>it's Morannon<P>i was so disappointed when sam got a rope from galadriel not a nice little box at all?<BR>the kingly look of aragorn shoul be well done...not like in RotK calendar <A HREF="http://img-nex.theonering.net/images/rotk_calendar/aragorn_january.jpg" TARGET=_blank>(see here)</A> but like in the teaser poster <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=002157" TARGET=_blank>(see here)</A>!<p>[ July 01, 2003: Message edited by: dancing spawn of ungoliant ]
Old 07-05-2003, 10:20 AM   #99
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Now you can't see how desperate Saruman was in his search for control. It's a real shame. It's one of the greatest battles of the Periannath, and they just whipe it out. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yeah, it really is a shame. But I think that they've already put too much focus on Saruman already, and not enough on Sauron. I wish PJ would make the Scouring of the Shire for us Tolkien fans and put it on that really special DVD thing that's coming out in 2005 or something.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 12:27 PM   #100
Kates Frodo Temp
Wight

Kates Frodo Temp has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

This thread is depressing me! I think we should all remember that this is not a movie of the book"s". It's a MOVIE VERSION of the book"s". <P>Someday, true fans will get together and make a movie directly from the book, without interpretation, enhancement, ect. Then we can expose deaf children who haven't learned to read to Tolkien, and enjoy the perfect film!

Sign my lighter, Meela?
Kates Frodo Temp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 01:51 PM   #101
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

There will probably never a be a 'specila film' in 2005. On a website PJ has been quoted for saying stuff about how buying the extended versions of each film will be a good investment because there won't be another film to upstage the extendeds. Sorry.<BR>
Old 07-09-2003, 08:09 AM   #102
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Gollum better bite off Frodo's finger/Ring and fall into Mt. Doom. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I agree with you.....I'll be sooooo dissapointed if it isn't done in a "proper" way in ROTK <P>I also think they'd better have The Grey Havens just the way I imagened it, or else.......I'll be....dissapointed too..... <P>And of course when they return to the Shire, Sam when he says; "Well I'm back," or something like that. I think that has to be the last line in the movie.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:15 PM   #103
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

They're going to end RotK 'properly'. Don't worry about that...
Old 07-10-2003, 06:04 AM   #104
helkahothion

Eye

They'd better be, "Well I'm back" Almost made me cry.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:43 PM   #105
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Helka: I'm sure at least that there's a scene with sAm & a little hobbit-child jumping into his arms ( presumably the 'I'm back' scene ).
Old 07-10-2003, 03:51 PM   #106
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

Yeh, there are scenes with Elanor. She's really cute. I can't wait to see her on screen. A little Sean Astin-a-like staring back at us.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:50 PM   #107
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

I've never gotten a pic of Elanor's face. Just a kind've blurry picture of the aformentioned.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:21 PM   #108
Sauron 666
Haunting Spirit

Sauron 666 has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I'm looking forward to the Passing of the Grey Company (aka The Paths of the Dead Part) I think PJ will come up with something better than the zombies in Dead Alive (not that theres anything wrong with that movie) <P>THe Grey Havens<P>Shelob's Lair-I want Shelob to be the most terrifying thing in middle earth (its a shame she gets slain by some little twerp like samwise gamgee) <P>The Cracks of Doom, specifically when Frodo puts on the ring and when Gollum bites his finger off ("NAsty little hobbits' tastes good") <P>Aragorn revealling himself to Sauron via the Palantiri<P>The battle sequences<P>The Watchers<P>Things i'd like to see but probably won't happen so PJ can give screen time to liv freaking tyler (yes i'm very bitter about her entire existence ) :<P>I think its a royal tragedy that they won't do the Scouring of the Shire, it has Saruman's best lines and its a perfect ending. <P>As little Arwen as possible <P>Frodo, Sam and Gollum walking by Minas Morgul and seeing the Witch King's army depart <P>Shagrat and Gorbag arguing/fighting faithful to the book
Sauron 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 04:01 AM   #109
helkahothion

Eye

I would exchange her for the scourging anytime. Why does PJ places Arwen in the story so much. The only thing she does in the book is talk to Aragorn. She is being made some kind of superhero, while she did very little. I don't understand that. They could have made the battle at helm's deep bigger if they left out that stupid dream.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:27 AM   #110
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Why does PJ place Arwen in the story so much <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>because if there weren't those 'annoying' Arwen- scenes the character wouldn't work. every person who hasn't read LotR wouldn't understand who the heck that mysterious elf is.<BR>but i have to agree with you that the 'dream- scene' was stupid!
Old 07-14-2003, 06:39 AM   #111
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Question

A question to all those who dislike Arwen's role in the films: Do you think that she should be included in the trilogy (of films) at all?<P>If not, fine. Although her absence would, in my view, have robbed Aragorn of a big part of his motivation, made his resistance of Eowyn's charms seem rather strange, and disappointed audiences (I think) that he ends up on his own at the end.<P>If, on the other hand, Arwen is to take her rightful place in the films as the love of Aragorn's life and, ultimately, his bride, her expanded role makes a lot of sense. It would seem very strange to audiences who haven't read the books if the big finale in the third film involved Aragorn marrying some woman who they had only seen for a brief time in the first film (at Rivendell), if indeed they remembered her at all.<P>So, given that Aragorn's coronation and his marriage to Arwen is (as I understand it) going to form part of the joyful tension release scenes following the defeat of Sauron (prior to the bittersweet parting at the Grey Havens), it makes sense to me that Arwen be given greater involvement in the events portrayed throughout the three films.<BR>I therefore have little problem with her role in the two films so far (although I agree that the dream sequence was a little gratuitous, at least in the way that it was done, and I am very glad that they chose to drop Arwen from Helm's Deep).<P>One further question - why is film Arwen always being described on this site as a shieldmaiden? As far as I can see, the only vaguely "shieldmaiden-ish" thing that she has done so far is to ride to the Ford with Frodo and defy the Nazgul. Which, there being no swordplay or shields in sight, hardly qualifies her in my view as a shieldmaiden. Of course, she will undoubtedly qualify for the title if she turns up at Pelennor Fields - but let's hope that doesn't happen.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:44 AM   #112
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Eye

Tolkien will turn in his grave if Arwen is on Pellonor fields. No elves are on the field, so neither is Arwen. They could have just placed the bridge scene with arwen and aragorn in lotr and make viggo explain something more about Arwen in ttt. They did no have to take 15 minutes for that. All good battle time. *pouts*<P>Abedithon le
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 09:37 AM   #113
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

I think Arwen should have been included.<BR>It was necessary to play up to the audience and introduce a little romance in order to refrain from it being an all-boys action battle film. It makes a better experience all round if it includes every genre.<BR>The shieldmaiden thing I do not approve of. Arwen is a great character who's role could easily be expanded, but only in the right way, ie. as a romance side story. To make her a warrior is not right, and even further from the books. Liv Tyler said herself that she didn't like the way Arwen was turning out at first, apparently. I'm not entirely certain how that was, but my head is telling me it was too warrior-like, and Liv agreed that Arwen should be less warrior-like. I don't know. I'll leave it...
Old 07-14-2003, 06:31 PM   #114
Sauron 666
Haunting Spirit

Sauron 666 has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I would rather not have Arwen at all, if people are too lazy or shallow to read the books then why should we have to suffer for their stupidity, laziness and mediocrity? I couldn't care less about a love story, if thats what i wanted to see i'd watch some stupid romance movie. Damnit when I go to watch LOTR io go to see huge battles, elves, dwarves, epic struggles not some contrived generic romance story. If they had left it to that scene on the bridge in Rivendell i would be relatively fine, but that ridiculous dream sequence really ****es me off. <P>and i really hope there are no elves in the Pelannor Fields battle, though i would make an exception if Arwen were to be slain and slaughtered .
Sauron 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 06:54 PM   #115
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I would rather not have Arwen at all, if people are too lazy or shallow to read the books then why should we have to suffer for their stupidity, laziness and mediocrity? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, you are right of course. Why should Jackson have bothered to make the films appealing to those who have not read the books ... er, apart from the fact that there would then have been no films. Good thing or bad thing? You decide. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> and i really hope there are no elves in the Pelannor Fields battle <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I rather hope that Legolas will be there.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:13 PM   #116
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

The Grey Havens. Definitely. <BR>There are parts that seem like they might be more important. I would, for instance, like to see a believeable Shelob and a sickeningly beautiful wedding. But the ending is what sticks with you. The last scene of the LotR trilogy is quiet and sad, but grand in it's own way. The realisation of a mission accomplished and a world on it's way to restoration, but also the parting of what may well be the two most renowned friends in literary history. <BR>It's like a recital, you might mess up pretty bad halfway through, but if you nail the grand finale, that's all they'll ever remember.

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 12:54 AM   #117
Lasgalen
Wight

Lasgalen has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I hope the Mouth of Sauron gets to have his speech like it was in the book. "It needs more to make a king than a piece of elvish glass, or a rabble such as this Why? any brigand of the hills can show as good a following!"
Old 07-15-2003, 01:20 PM   #118
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

The movies weren't there just for the amusement of people who hadn't read the books. I knwo I cannot talk because I haven't read the books properly, but I can understand why there has to be a certain degree of alteration from the books to allow for a movie that appeals to all audiences. Those who have read the books see the bulk of what they have read put into visualisation, as well as allowing them to see the story in a new light perhaps, and those who haven't read the books learn about a whole new story. And to gain a full audience there has to be a certain amount of each genre or whatever as well. The movies have to appeal to everyone. If they concentrated on satisfying those who read the books, only a small number of people would truly enjoy the film and fully understand it. Perhaps some parts would have confused those who did not already know the story, which is why the film cuts it all down to a minimum.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:30 PM   #119
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

I know they'll at least have the Mouth of Sauron, although I can't promise that exact speech...
Old 07-15-2003, 03:44 PM   #120
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Yup, that's guaranteed. I can't wait for the scene at the Grey Havens at the end of the movie. When I read it in the book, I was crying because it was the end and because it was so beautiful. I hope it's like that in the movie. I have a feeling that Tolkien fans everywhere will probably end up bawling our eyes out that day just because it's the end!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote