The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2007, 06:42 AM   #1881
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Doorbells. I probably shouldn't hate them as much as I do, but they always, always ring at the most obnoxious times.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:45 PM   #1882
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Staying with mothers who refuse to throw anything out of their fridges, ever...and the fizzy pickled herrings from last Christmas that you accidentally eat from therein....bleugh, bleugh and bleugh again.

Note to self....remember to check all sell-by dates on anything that comes from that fridge, before consuming....
Old 08-15-2007, 12:54 PM   #1883
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
Staying with mothers who refuse to throw anything out of their fridges, ever...and the fizzy pickled herrings from last Christmas that you accidentally eat from therein....bleugh, bleugh and bleugh again.

Note to self....remember to check all sell-by dates on anything that comes from that fridge, before consuming....
Must say I agree with that, except that it is my Grandma.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:19 PM   #1884
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I assign heavy rains that flood basements, thereby providing an evening's entertainment of mopping up the water therein. Maybe the heat in Mordor would dry everything up nicely!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:39 AM   #1885
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I sympathise, Esty.

Parents: Let's extend the house! Yay! The garage can be moved to the bottom of this big ole slope here.

Clever move.

I also assign those constant debt adverts on daytime TV. "Hey, you, do you wanna get into EVEN MORE debt? Yeah? Call this number!" And why are they always on kids' TV, anyway? Do kids have debt...?
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:09 AM   #1886
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Mold. Especially when it gets on cool books, like an old atlas, your only greek mythology book, and nature books with awsome pictures. *sob*
Old 08-22-2007, 10:13 AM   #1887
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Clouds, cold and the possibility of rain when it's supposed to be summer! Come on weather, I know this is England but you don't have to prove the stereotype.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:09 PM   #1888
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'll take your clouds, cold, and rain any time. This summer in the American Great Lakes region it has been regularly dry and above 90. Until a very lovely wet/cold spell for a few days. It was nice to see green grass growing for a change. So.... to Mordor with climatically incorrect weather.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:58 PM   #1889
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Aye, same where I live, Elempi. It's been miserably hot and miserably dry. Our pond is nearly empty.

Drought belongs in Mordor.

-- Foley
Old 08-22-2007, 08:16 PM   #1890
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Hot, humid weather. It's supposed to be 94 Fahrenheit outside but it feels like 120 Fahrenheit.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:35 PM   #1891
Beleg Cuthalion
Wight

Beleg Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Getting sick in August! Of all times to get sick, none stop clouds, rain and the temperature hanging around 15 C. Be GONE, and trouble me no more! I assign you all to Mordor! BAH!!!

(Normally I like clouds and cool weather)

Quis ut Deus
Beleg Cuthalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:09 PM   #1892
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'm going to have to agree with those who assign hot and dry weather.

Right now, Idaho has the most acres burning in the entire United States (16 fires and 787,342 acres). Five counties have been declared in a state of emergency. Some areas are so smoky you can hardly see and I have even seem flames consuming the foothills with my own eyes.

Any rain that does come only last for ten minutes. I miss the rain and would love to have the kind of rain you other guys are having...
Old 08-23-2007, 07:45 AM   #1893
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short View Post

I also assign those constant debt adverts on daytime TV. "Hey, you, do you wanna get into EVEN MORE debt? Yeah? Call this number!" And why are they always on kids' TV, anyway? Do kids have debt...?
No, but the parents watching with the nippers sure do once they've shelled out for expensive prams, cots, clothes, safety systems, gubbins with Winnie the Pooh on it, etc. etc. All on reduced wages.

I assign that ad where the mum berates her teenage son for not being interested in the fact that she's just changed her car insurance. I'm 36 and I'd also come over all sullen and uninterested if my mother started on about how excited she was that she was thinking of changing her car insurance.

I also assign Three for selling a deaf pensioner a mobile phone they did not want by exploiting the similarity of the word 'three' to 'free'. That's low.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:00 AM   #1894
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post

Right now, Idaho has the most acres burning in the entire United States (16 fires and 787,342 acres). Five counties have been declared in a state of emergency. Some areas are so smoky you can hardly see and I have even seem flames consuming the foothills with my own eyes.

Any rain that does come only last for ten minutes. I miss the rain and would love to have the kind of rain you other guys are having...
In other words, parts of Idaho actually look like Mordor. Michigan is so far faring better than that, although the upper three Great Lakes are losing too much water to Erie due to human dredging efforts around Detroit - which, by the by, belongs in Mordor.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:40 AM   #1895
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Snapping turtles. They eat ducklings..
Old 08-23-2007, 11:52 AM   #1896
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Erm... I eat ducks. Is that really so bad? (Do not answer if you are Fea).

Seeing as I'm here, I should probably assign something lest I be accused of chat... Mispronouncing French words in front of people who know French can go to Mordor. Happened at interviews, happened in front of my ex-teacher... it's just no fun.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:43 PM   #1897
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short View Post
Erm... I eat ducks. Is that really so bad? (Do not answer if you are Fea).
Well, considering what I had for dinner just last night...

But it is somehow different when they are babies, and when it eats twenty in one year. Three of my female ducks had each had about 4 ducklings, and not a single one lived over a month. One of them tried raising another group, but they too were eaten. She wandered around for a few days, looking very confused, quacking mournfully. It is one of the saddest things I have ever seen an animal do. This year I am keeping the mother and her (at least) 10 ducklings in the barn till they are big enough not to be swallowed whole.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:49 AM   #1898
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Middle-aged female professors*.

I think, after an hour and a half of sitting in her classroom without a winter coat, I may be suffering from hypothermia... I certainly never looked quite so much like my avatar!

*no offense - hey, I'll be one myself someday.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:09 PM   #1899
Elfchick7
Wight

three hours of trig!!! O_o
Old 09-12-2007, 02:32 PM   #1900
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I assign constantly feeling ill, hot, in pain, stiff, swollen, brain-dead, grumpy, fed up and scared.

Having idealised images shoved down your throat only makes this even more annoying so that you just want to tell the media/health services/do-gooders/just about everyone to clear off...
Old 09-16-2007, 06:41 PM   #1901
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Fire ants. I stepped in some while walking around barefoot last night, and now my feet are covered in horribe itchy red bumps. I guess I never realized how horrible insects get in warmer climates!
Old 09-18-2007, 01:36 PM   #1902
smeagollives
Animated Skeleton

smeagollives has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
I assign constantly feeling ill, hot, in pain, stiff, swollen, brain-dead, grumpy, fed up and scared.

Having idealised images shoved down your throat only makes this even more annoying so that you just want to tell the media/health services/do-gooders/just about everyone to clear off...
What happened?
smeagollives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:56 PM   #1903
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
What happened?
Mustn't...jump...all over that...

She's expecting a baby.

I would like to assign the painful and tedious switch to and from computer platforms, and the monetary and other reasons why the switch from the superior platform had to be instigated.

Oh, and please take Vista with you when you go.

Last edited by Oddwen; 09-18-2007 at 10:00 PM.
Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:15 PM   #1904
Elfchick7
Wight

I assign bickering roommates who refuse to address their real issue so they just act like spoiled children!
Old 09-22-2007, 04:49 PM   #1905
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Having completely written an entire paper, looking up the final citation that's supposed to blow away my readers with my brilliance (and finally swing an A from a professor who always gives me Cs)...

And discovering that I overlooked one single sentence fragment in the story ("their old debate, and indeed the only debate that ever happened in their country") that completely (and I mean completely) destroys my main support for my thesis. Fourteen words out of like a hundred pages and a third of my paper's trashed.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:28 AM   #1906
Annatar
Pile O'Bones

Annatar has just left Hobbiton.
I assign the animated LoTR and Hobbit movies to Mordor, as well as Christmas carols.

Last edited by Annatar; 10-04-2007 at 11:33 AM.
Annatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:06 PM   #1907
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annatar View Post
I assign the animated LoTR and Hobbit movies to Mordor, as well as Christmas carols.
Okay, the movies I can understand. But Christmas carols????
Old 10-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #1908
Quempel
Haunting Spirit

Quempel has just left Hobbiton.
I would assign little yippy yappy dogs, but they are probably already in Mordor.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:45 PM   #1909
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I assign getting a rock thrown at my windshield by one of a pre-teen gang as I drove down a residential street in the inner city. And I suppose I got off lucky with only a cracked windshield.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:16 PM   #1910
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post

Thats Kinda like, up by Fairbanks, Alaska like two years ago... my "clan" as we call it, went up there to go blueberry picking, but there were no blueberries...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
Ack! Lot's of commercials, get this do that and blah, blah, blah. Especially aimed at teenage girls (ahem), but I don't give into those ads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfchick7 View Post
I assign bickering roommates who refuse to address their real issue so they just act like spoiled children!
Hehehe, a couple years ago, there was a kid in my class that was whining that
Quote:
I only get $50 dollars a week for my allowance
Heck, I don't even get an allowance. I had to buy my books with babysitting money...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quempel View Post
I would assign little yippy yappy dogs, but they are probably already in Mordor.
Hehehe... My friend, Katherine said at Denali National Park(Alaska, USA, where I live) or whatever it is, she said that those yap dogs in the summertime during the tourist season, they are eagle food. Katherine said the eagles just come down and pick them up and eat them... Those dogs were never seen again. Just picture Gwaihir doing that!

This is what I assign to Mordor...
Loads of math homework, staying up to 11:00 at night doing math homework, and still not being done with math homework. Plus two days later, my family's cat dying, that we've had for 12 years...
Old 10-09-2007, 11:54 PM   #1911
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Overdue history papers that loom over your head and taunt you with the fact that your grade is dropping every day that you don't finish and turn the darn thing in...
Old 10-10-2007, 12:38 AM   #1912
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
A student councelling course that takes all your time and forces you to make some decision what are you going to do after the upper secondary...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:24 AM   #1913
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Mentally pacing the corridors of a distant hospital hoping for good news
Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:42 AM   #1914
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Fr those who didn't get Mith's point there, Lal's in labour at the moment so we're in the hospital. We're both fine but very bored waiting for something to happen. And I'm typing this on a tiny unresponsve rubber keypad on a Patienline terminal.

I'll keep you all updated.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:21 AM   #1915
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Though it's nothing compared to Lal & Dave's Mordorism...

Wisdom teeth. I don't want them! It was a devoutly unwelcome discovery, let me tell you.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:30 AM   #1916
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I assign selfish people to Mordor. And friends who no longer feel like friends. Also I assign puppies....yes puppies, they are super cute but impossibly hard to train to not pee on the carpet.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:22 PM   #1917
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Trying to write an american government research paper about ideological exclusion, over the past eight years, when you live in the current government majority trying to keep such news as tightly under-wraps... Ugh! >_<

I guess I can wait fifty years, until it's just a collective 'bad memory'...

Though, this is nothing compared to previous Mordoresque experiences, hope all is well for Lal.

~ Understanding Citizen Kane Ka

Last edited by THE Ka; 10-10-2007 at 10:25 PM.
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:30 PM   #1918
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Rather than "writer's block" I'd like to postulate the "student's block" for a luxury, all expenses paid trip to the cozy fires of Mt. Doom.

Yes, the student's block... a term I just coined (though I'm sure it has been said before) for that moment where you feel that if you read just ONE more word about (insert topic of study here) your brain will turn into mush and drip out of your ears.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:51 PM   #1919
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo View Post
To Mordor with different mobile phone models!
:/
Old 10-15-2007, 12:54 PM   #1920
Elfchick7
Wight

confusing/inconsistent friendships.