The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-22-2002, 10:21 PM   #1
Anorien
Wight

Anorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anorien
Question Aragorn and his issues

Alright, how did Gandalf and Aragorn know each other? And why was his choice exile? Why did he roam the woods as a Ranger, instead of taking up his right place as King? Did he not have enough confidence in his self? And, sorry just one more, could someone explain the whole him and Arwen deal? Where did they meet, how long had they known each other, and why did he leave her to go to the Shire????
Thanks all.
Anorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 10:29 PM   #2
Lady_Galadriel
Wight

Lady_Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lady_Galadriel
The Eye

As much as I hate to admit it, I don't know the answers to most of those questions myself... In fact I was pondering some of them just this morning. Well there is one question I can answer. If you read the tale of aragorn and arwen in appendix a of rotk, it explains how aragorn and arwen met and alot of other things about them.

Aragorn and arwen met when he was walking in the woods, though he thought she was tinuviel at the time. But soon he found who she was.

I'm sorry if what i said does not make much sense, and does not help much, but it;s hard to explain. Reading it helps alot....
Old 07-22-2002, 10:32 PM   #3
Anorien
Wight

Sting

Thanks a bunch, I'll look at the appendix, I just was hoping someone here would have the answers off the top of their heads, ya know?? As for Gandalf and Aragorn, how did they know each other???
Old 07-22-2002, 11:42 PM   #4
Tarthang
Wight

Tarthang has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Off the top of my head, YES! Gandalf and Aragorn knew each other. Not off the top of my head, nor where to find the answer, but I would say they met in Rivendel and that Gandalf was aware of Aragorn way before Aragorn was aware of Gandalf. Most of the answers to these questions can be found by READING LOTR.
Tarthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 03:30 AM   #5
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Anorien - have you read the books? (it's not an insult or anything, just a question). If you do you'll find many answers in there.

I'm pretty sure Aragorn and Gandalf met - although Gandalf will already have known about Aragorn being Isildur's Heir and all that. As for when they met, i'm sure it's written somewhere but I don't really remember. In Appendix B it says they met in 2956 T.A. about 60 years before the Quest begins but not in what circumstances..that's going to annoy me now i'll have to go look it up.
Old 07-23-2002, 08:05 AM   #6
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Aldagrim Proudfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

He didn't takew his rightful place as King because it wasn't time yet. Not all the conditions were right.
Old 07-23-2002, 10:22 AM   #7
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I'm fairly certain that the reason Aragorn went wandering instead of staying in Rivendell with his adopted elven-family was that he was trying to win over Elrond and had to prove that he was good enough for Arwen. Also, the timing did have a lot to do with it. Elrond probably had some kind of foresight that allowed him to make choices with results that would come into play at the right time and place.

[ July 23, 2002: Message edited by: The Silver-shod Muse ]
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 10:48 AM   #8
O'Boile
Wight

O'Boile has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aragorn was not exiled... he was from the northern kingdom or Arnour (I think that is how it is spelled). That kingdom was conquered roughly around the time that the last king of Gondor died and the stewards took up the scepter. The reason he was wandering is because he is a ranger (the dunedain of the north). As heir to the northern kingdom, he was their cheiftan. In order for him to be king, he would have to be accepted by Gondor (there are issues with choosing an heir in the past... read the appendix, it is in there). So, he is the rightful heir cause he is a descendant of Isildur, but he is not a descendant of the last king of Gondor (he had no descendants, otherwise they would have been king). He actually serves in Gondor earlier in his life as a captain to the steward Ecthelion. He went by the name Thorongil at that time.
O'Boile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 01:01 PM   #9
Sweatpea Knotwise
Pile O'Bones

Sweatpea Knotwise has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Aragorn and Gandalf were close friends; it was Aragorn who caught Gollum for Gandalf to question. The circumstances of their first meeting is unknown to me, but by my calculations, they had been friends for 62 years by the time Aragorn met Frodo.

Aragorn wasn’t just wandering about.
Quote:
…he laboured in the cause against Sauron…. He went in many guises, and won renown under many names…. He rode in the host of the Rohirrim, and fought for the lord of Gondor by land and by sea…. and went alone far into the East and deep into the South, exploring the hearts of Men, both evil and good, and uncovering the plots and devices of the servants of Sauron.
No other man could have done as much in the fight against the Dark Lord.

For the tale of Aragorn and Arwen read ROTK, appendix A, part five.

[ July 23, 2002: Message edited by: Sweatpea Knotwise ]
Old 07-23-2002, 01:05 PM   #10
Anorien
Wight

Sting

I would like to imform everyone that I have read the books, yes. Just not the unfinnished Tales, as of yet. I'm working on that one
Old 07-23-2002, 01:13 PM   #11
Sweatpea Knotwise
Pile O'Bones

Sweatpea Knotwise has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Anorien, that's more than I've done. I have only read The Hobbit, LOTR and gotten halfway through Silmarillion. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]