The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2003, 12:15 AM   #41
Helín Anyára
Pile O'Bones

Helín Anyára has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

An interesting question... and as I was thinking about initiating a thread somewhat like this one, I shall revive this thread instead. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Hopefully more will contribute to it?....

As for me... I think that I have facets of Frodo, Sam, Aragorn, and Eowyn. I'm similar to the shield maiden in that I feel at times I should have been much happier had I been born a boy. Disguising herself and going to war, with a hopelessness born of desperate circumstances, is not at all unlike what I would imagine myself doing, in her place. I admire Arwen for her beauty and grace but I have, I think, a good deal more of Eowyn's human-ness. As to the others- I have Aragorn's thoughtful melancholy, at times, and at others a hobbit's lightheartedness... I love adventure, and challenge, but also comfort and simplicity (hobbit "holes" have always seemed most inviting), and food. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] I can be intensely loyal, (Sam, Aragorn) but also self-sacrificing; eager to please; to have myself tried and proven true... Perhaps I'm a little of them all or perhaps none. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I thought/question has just occurred to me, though it probably needs a thread of its own, were it to be answered. Who was Tolkien most like? Which of his characters was most patterned after him? Hmmm...

Next, anyone? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2003, 01:05 PM   #42
kittiegirl
Haunting Spirit

kittiegirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiegirl
Sting

Merry.
I remind myself of him, and I find myself acting like him, saying movie and book qoutes of his, and staring at his picture on my wall.
I'll say more about this later though.
kittiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 01:12 PM   #43
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
thought/question has just occurred to me, though it probably needs a thread of its own, were it to be answered. Who was Tolkien most like? Which of his characters was most patterned after him? Hmmm...

I believe that Tolkien said in one of his letters that he modelled Faramir after himself (I would have thought Beren, since he compared himself and his wife to Beren and Luthien, but who can know the mind of an author?)

As to the character that reminds me, I have absolutely no idea except to say that I am remarkably like Pippin sometimes

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 09:42 PM   #44
Helín Anyára
Pile O'Bones

Helín Anyára has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
I believe that Tolkien said in one of his letters that he modelled Faramir after himself
That's very interesting, Imladris . I had never heard that and I certainly would not have guessed it. Especially because Faramir is not one of the major characters, per say. At least, he's not one of the Fellowship. But then, I never would have made the connection between Tolkien and Treebeard, either, [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] had not Meela mentioned it. I will certainly remember the next time I read through the trilogy to keep my eye on Faramir. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2003, 11:35 PM   #45
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think the reason I remembered was because it shocked me...I had been expecting one of the hobbits...

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 12:59 AM   #46
Eowyn:Lady of Rohan
Pile O'Bones

Eowyn:Lady of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I believe Tolkein is most like Gandalf. He's very mysterious, very cunning, and I might add wise. Tolkein is a mentor, so Gandalf is a mentor to Frodo.

As for myself, I believe I am most like Eowyn because , even though I'm a woman, I can be really tough and determined like a man. She and I may look different, but I am like her. I may look pretty, but I can kick butt too. Also, I don't give up. I find a way to do what I want or need to do.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:58 AM   #47
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That link had me as Aragorn first...don't know why! I suppose I am a loner-ish kind of person...I sit and watch my friends rather than contribute to conversations. And I prefer doing projects on my own, etc etc. Ok, I think I've answered my own quesiton! Then Éowyn...I can be very stubborn like her...
But I feel most like Túrin...I have the whole hot and cold mood thing. It's very frustrating and it confuses people...and it's very stupid. Basically if I am enthusiastic for something, and people run me down enough, I suddenly go cold. It is sooo weird. And Túrin has that too...he gets all heated up and passionate, then goes totally cold. Heathcliff is like that too...but yeah.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:31 AM   #48
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I suppose I am a loner-ish kind of person...I sit and watch my friends rather than contribute to conversations. And I prefer doing projects on my own, etc etc.
I originally had myself down as Eowyn. But thinking about it, I'm only like her in a couple of aspects. I read the above comparison to Aragorn, and realise that I kinda fit that description. So I'm now partly Eowyn and partly Aragorn.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:59 PM   #49
Aethelwine
Wight

Location: In Anórien, just outside Edoras, on a horse I "borrowed"...
Aethelwine has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Really Meela? Do you think Denny will like that? An Eowyn/Aragorn combination... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] j/k

I see myself as Eowyn the most. I like to fight, hate to be left behind, like to hang out with the guys, and so on. Oh, and the quotes really appeal to me:

Quote:
'What do you fear, lady?' he asked. 'A cage,' she said. 'To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.'
Oh, so true! And so like me!

Quote:
"But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him."
She's so strong!

Quote:
" ...I am of the House of Eorl and not a serving woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear..."
And I could go on and on foreever. But I won't...

Anyway, Eowyn is the one I look up to, and I would really want to be like!

Namarie,

Aethelwine.

Ey everybody look! I'm a Wight! Yeay! *does little dance*

[ November 21, 2003: Message edited by: Aethelwine ]
Old 11-21-2003, 02:01 PM   #50
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dűm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I've taken quite a few personality tests in my time, and they all come up as something different. I've been Frodo, Gandalf, Pippin and Barliman Butterbur, amongst others. But in my opinion, I'd say I'm a lot like Pippin. I say foolish things sometimes, joke around when it's not needed but I think in a crisis I could pull myself together. But I can also see some tomboyish Eowyn parts in me, and the 'I wanna stay at home!' part of Bilbo too [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2003, 03:17 AM   #51
Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien
Haunting Spirit

Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien
Sting

I think I'm most like Eowyn. I am headstrong, stubborn and refuse to go along with the female stereotype. I am going to take swordfighting because I love it. Eowyn just strikes me as an admirable person and a good role model. I have gotten 'Eowyn' in many many many tests. And I also fancy Aragorn hehe
"And he sang to them, now in the Elven tongue, now in the speech of the West, until their hearts, wounded with sweet words, overflowed, and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness."
Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 08:07 AM   #52
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I think that I am most like Legolas. I tend to be a bit of a loner, I already have some of the physical habits of the Elves ("sleeping" 2-3 hours per night, living on very little food, and very good aim) and I've always somehow thought like one. I tend to stand back in most "Quests" and I only help when it's really needed. I mean, I'm not a drag on resources or anything, I do what needs to be done, but I'm not overly helpful, and I can stick to a goal "to whatever end," and I have a penchant for starting fairly hopeless endeavors (read, Quest for Mt. Doom).
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 03:11 PM   #53
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

in every personality test i take i am aragorn
Old 11-22-2003, 03:40 PM   #54
jonathan32
Pile O'Bones

jonathan32 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I tried the personality test and my #1 match was King Theoden and #2 was Faramir, which I geuss is ok, though i wanted to be a hobbit! It hink I'm kind of like Gandalf though, because I have a pet eagle which I ride to the store sometimes....
jonathan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 09:04 PM   #55
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Im immediatly drawn to Éowyn, becuase she is strong minded, but I dont have the sadness she has. Im thinking im sort of like the chick in the Mariners wife... but also not as sad, but mostly i think im the most like Éomer. (But the girl obviously)

[ 3:10 AM November 28, 2003: Message edited by: Everdawn ]

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 06:12 PM   #56
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dűm

Lady Snickerdoodle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

From several personality tests, (barrowdowns and others) I am Legolas, [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] but the runner up is Aragorn. However, the female character I am most like is Eowyn, because she's a rebel and no one lets her prove herself so she has to do it alone. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] And I'm almost fearless, except for "cages" and jellyfish. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] (random, but true) And I too have "some skill with a blade," not that that's a significant trait for her... I think Im going overboard on the smilies... [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] but they're all so pretty in a row....
Old 11-26-2003, 06:20 PM   #57
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

me again. I didn't read the whole 2nd page, so I didn't know how many Eowyn people there are. YAY! EOWYNS UNITE!!!
Quote:
I am going to take swordfighting because I love it
Fencing is so much fun Rindoien, I do epee but I wanna do sabre...
Old 11-26-2003, 08:09 PM   #58
Linaeve
Animated Skeleton

Linaeve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Linaeve
Sting

Fencing! I love fencing! The problem is, in the three years that I studied foil, I only won one bout, and that was because my opponent had never fenced before in her life! Eventually, I got discouraged and quit, especially after the fencing coach told me that he was only going to let me fence once he was sure the team had won. Also, being on the team took up WAY too much time. I do wish I could take it up again though!

Anyway . . . I think I'm a mix between Pippin, Merry, and Eowyn. Strange combination, I know, but I'm very cheerful most of the time, almost too curious for my own good, and have streaks of stubborness and determination that are absolutely unquenchable. Also, I love eating and I'm small (5 ft tall at 17!!), two qualities of mine which have prompted my friends to dub me 'the Hobbit-lass'. And I'd do anything to defend the ones I love, which I believe is a quality Eowyn possesses.

[ 9:13 PM November 26, 2003: Message edited by: Linaeve ]
Old 11-27-2003, 08:49 PM   #59
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I identify with Sam. Loves the simple life and likes things the way they are. But I also have a strong will and so does Sam. I would so love to be hobbit, imagine eating 7 meals a day!
Old 11-28-2003, 06:17 AM   #60
Selmo
Shade of Carn Dűm

Selmo has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

There can be no doubt that I am a Hobbit.
I have all their atributes, except the hairy feet. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
The Barrowdowns personality test has me down as Butterbur with Sam as second choice, so it will have to be Sam.

Like Sam, I tend to take a supportive rather than a leadership role in life (my job is that of a servant to lore-masters). Also like Sam I can be very stubborn, I will take the lead if pushed hard enough and I love old tales of daring adventure.

I sometimes feel a little like Merry, too; quieter, more reflective and less impetuous than hobbits like Pippin. Like Merry, I sometimes feel that I'm being swept along by events over which I have no control.
Selmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 09:31 AM   #61
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dűm

Eye

Quote:
Fencing! I love fencing! The problem is, in the three years that I studied foil, I only won one bout, and that was because my opponent had never fenced before in her life!
Yeah I was kinda like that too... I think I tried to go to the next level too fast. My only consolation was that I wasn't exactly the worst in the class, there was a little kid like 4 years younger than everyone else... But I'm gonna keep on trying (next semester, I quit for this one) because it's really fun and it's also cool to drop the fact casually to strangers and watch their impressed reactions. They don't have to know we suck... yep. And my friend wants everyone to know that her LOTR character is gandalf, because he is uber-cool. *umm..? ouch don't hit me*

[ 10:31 AM November 28, 2003: Message edited by: Lady Snickerdoodle ]
Old 11-28-2003, 10:08 AM   #62
Eolynne the Sad

Shield

The first time I read the books, I strongly identified with Frodo. Now, many years and several readings later, I identify with... Frodo. He loved his home but longed for adventure, fought for a noble purpose and was not afraid to defend his principles. He was fond of music and tales, enjoyed his friends but also his solitude, and sought to understand others. I too travel alone, sometimes with joy, often with sadness, but always eager to see what's round the next bend and to accomplish the task at hand.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:48 AM   #63
Iris Alantiel
Haunting Spirit

Iris Alantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, for me it varies from day to day - some mornings you wake up and you feel like Aragorn, and then there are days when you feel like Gollum. But overall I'd have to say that if I actually think about it really hard, I'm most like Sam. He's incredibly and almost blindly loyal; he has this amazing determination, born out of that loyalty; and he never lets go of hope. Also, he goes on this incredible journey and does great things, but at the same time he would be content to just stay at home in the Shire and enjoy the simple things, and I can see both aspects in myself at different times.

Regarding what Rynoah said, about whether we really connected with the characters or whether we mold ourselves after them, I'm not sure. In my case, I first read The Lord of the Rings when I was pretty young (like 9 or 10) so it's hard to remember whether I was already like that or not. But I remember Sam was always my favourite when I was a child, so it definitely wouldn't surprise me if I had tried to mold myself to be more like Sam because I admired him.

As for which character Tolkien is, I would imagine that there's a little piece of Tolkien in most of the characters, since he created them all.
Iris Alantiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 08:23 AM   #64
Aule-Master_of_Crafts

Sting

I can't really think of anyone from LOTR that I'm like. From the Silmarillion though, I would say Fëanor. I can be very hot tempered and I enjoy making things. I also have a large vocabulary as it says Fëanor had great skill in speaking.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:23 PM   #65
The Human Of Our Time
Pile O'Bones

The Human Of Our Time has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would have to say....Sméagol of course. Well I think I am weak willed but I don't have an evil side really...Or do We?
The Human Of Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 05:51 PM   #66
Fire-Galad
Animated Skeleton

Fire-Galad has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The BD test that I'm most like Frodo which is partally true in the sense that I'm very quiet but when someone crosses my talerence line I yell at them and after awhile I feel really bad and say that I'm sorry. I'm also very protective of my stuff. It also said that I'm like Legolas and again I can relate to that because I do archery and I'm an excelent horse rider so I also think I might be a Rohirrim I don't know.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:37 PM   #67
Aredhel Ar-Feiniel
Haunting Spirit

Aredhel Ar-Feiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Apparently im most like Aragorn, but i feel most like Gilraen. I would like to say Celebrain but im not sure whether there is anything written in detail about her personality.