The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 10:04 AM   #361
Tintalle
Pile O'Bones

Location: At the Gates of Morannon, waiting for the Great Battle
Tintalle has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Hello! I'm new and not really new to this site. I've been in and out of here since Fellowship came out. But this is the first time I registered. So I'd be very happy to share my thoughts (drunken they may be at times, hehehe), and join the forums! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2003, 10:59 AM   #362
Whynethelyn

Sting

I'm Whynethelyn, but call me Whyneth or Whyn. I am very much alive and have no desire to haunt Middle Earth. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-30-2003, 05:57 PM   #363
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

Hello Marinithil
Quote:
Enter and exit barrows without using the door
Hahaha...door...[wipes tears from eye]

Hiya Galenondowen, sounds like you've got an great imagination...bet they could use you in the RPG threads round here.
RPG'S
I like this site, you can find the most unusual avatars
Here

Tintalle, Hi, welcome officially to the Downs. After all, everyone loves a drunken Tolkien fan. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Hey Whynethelyn,
Quote:
I am very much alive and have no desire to haunt Middle Earth.
[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] Sure you don't. lol [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

And welcome to all newbies. Need any help with anything, and I'm here.
-Cheers!

[ October 30, 2003: Message edited by: Ainaserkewen ]
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Old 10-31-2003, 03:36 AM   #364
Galenondowen
Newly Deceased

Galenondowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Galenondowen
Question

Hi, Ainaserkewen. ^_^ Thanks for the compliment! And hello, Whyneth. =)
Er... I've checked the rpg page... I've read the must read post... And I still don't know how to start in it... (*sob* Stupid me.) It says I should post in The Green Dragon Inn first, but it is itself an rpg, and every one seems interacting with others... (Or have several characters?) I can't find anywhere to post my character's profile and my first post... So I think I need some help here.
And the avatars are taken off from the site you game me, Ainaserkewen... -_-;;
Shall I strike or shall I fall? What will be my destiny? Must I go on in despare? May I turn back with tired heart? I would not forget the pain, When my wings were torn away. Though this is the fate I have, It never is the life I chose. I hate lingering in this world, Yet here I am, And will be so.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:23 PM   #365
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Glad you looked into the RPGs. Basically, you have to come up with a character and enter him into the Green Dragon. Like walk in at some point. Question people and interact with each other. At some point, new RPGs will open up that you can play in, just watch the posts by Pio(Shire Moderator) Ask the shire mods if you have more specific questions. I tried the RPGs earlier in the year, but they really need constant attention...I couldn't keep up.
always eating chicken?
Old 11-01-2003, 05:13 AM   #366
Galenondowen
Newly Deceased

Galenondowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Galenondowen
Sting

Thank you! ^_^ I'll contact the mods then.
Oh I made a typing mistake in my last post! I meant 'The avatars are taken off from the site you GAVE me', but I typed 'you GAME me' instead... Lol. Sorry...-_-;;
Er... Do you have any other avatar site, Ainaserkewen?
Shall I strike or shall I fall? What will be my destiny? Must I go on in despare? May I turn back with tired heart? I would not forget the pain, When my wings were torn away. Though this is the fate I have, It never is the life I chose. I hate lingering in this world, Yet here I am, And will be so.
Old 11-01-2003, 11:39 AM   #367
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

Hey Galen. Here's a wonderful site for avatars; it's where I got mine [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] .

As to the Green Dragon, you don't have to put a profile or first post there, only in the actual RPGs. Basically, it's a place to practice interacting with other characters. A good first post would describe your character, give a hint of his/her past, and approach someone in the common room. Actually, at the moment, one of my characters in the Inn isn't doing anything. She's a dark-haired g.irl seated by the bar alone, and if you like, your char can approach her. But do come in, we don't bite. Hard. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Oh, and as regards to typos: Look at the top of your post. There's a little icon at the far right that looks like a rectangle and a hammer. Click on that, and you can go back and edit your post and get rid of any grammatical or spelling errors. Or delete the whole thing, if you need to.
Old 11-01-2003, 01:34 PM   #368
GhastlyInnocence

Sting

Hello,
I have visited this site before but never had the nerve to join. But I finally did, hello everybody!

Old 11-01-2003, 02:07 PM   #369
Elizabeth Elindel
Pile O'Bones

Elizabeth Elindel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aye, I'm new! :-) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I've visited here before, many times, but at last I finaly joined. It's great to be here! BTW, does anyone else play harp??
Old 11-01-2003, 02:50 PM   #370
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alatariel Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alatariel Telemnar
Sting

Welcome all new Downers! *bonks everyone with a squeaky tie* enjoy being dead! and it wasn't me that killed ya! Although I might have in a chat room... *shrug*

I play the flute, Elizabeth, if that counts?

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Old 11-01-2003, 07:24 PM   #371
Elizabeth Elindel
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Close enough. ;-) I love the sound of the flue, but I've never learned it. <sigh> I should try... but it would be helpful if I HAD one, first!
Old 11-01-2003, 08:38 PM   #372
GhastlyInnocence

Sting

I play the flute!!!!!!
I love it, you should try it sometime.

Old 11-02-2003, 11:46 AM   #373
Elizabeth Elindel
Pile O'Bones

Sting

I know. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I love music, and need to learn some more. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] It's sad, I know. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2003, 04:07 PM   #374
Babriel

Eye

Hello, you know my name...(look above right) lol. I signed on here because of a friend to check things out. I like RPG's and the movies and stuff. I love to read and be surounded by friends. Can't wait to get started...see you in a thread sometime.

Cyz

Old 11-04-2003, 04:08 PM   #375
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Howdy Babriel(heheh Howdy) I think you know who this is...PM(private message) me if you have any q's.
always eating chicken?
Old 11-04-2003, 04:23 PM   #376
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Ainaserkwen, the friendly neighbourhood newbie-guider, and myself, the friendly neighbourhood newbie-eater- erm...friend. Yeah, friend. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome indeed to the Barrowdowns! Try the RPGs, share a pint at the Green Dragon, participate in discussions on and around every area of Arda, and, if you really wish, share your ideas on the 'talent' of the actors in TLotR *cough*yeah,talent,sure*cough* [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Oh, and don't worry about whatever mental image you still have projected about yourself, it soon passes... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2003, 07:59 PM   #377
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome to all of you new people!
Old 11-05-2003, 02:19 PM   #378
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Wow, the chicken actually IS back...and with updates! Oh Matt, you lovely boy, I could hug you...but, erm...won't. Ahem. *regains composure*
Old 11-05-2003, 09:50 PM   #379
The Cool Took

Tolkien

Hello all you wights, dwarves, elves, dragons, fairies, Hornblowers, Baggins, Tooks, humans, and other sundry Downers. My name is Tom and I just discovered this site yesterday. I started reading Tolkien in grade school and have loved Middle Earth ever since (I remember stocking up on sandwiches and burrowing into my room the first time I read "The Council of Elrond", because I didn't want to miss a word or be interrupted.) It's great to finally find a place were I can discuss one of my favorite topic with others who feel the same way about Tolkien, Middle Earth, and the fantasy genre as a whole. I can't wait to jump in.

I did have a few questions. Is there any meaning to the message icons on the posts? I chose Tolkien's initials for this post because I always thought it looked cool. I would also like to know what avatars are, as they pertain to this site. Is it some official designation, or just a polite term or endearment? That's all for now; I look forward to discussing Tolkien with as many of you as possible.

TTFN,

Tom, The Cool Took

Old 11-05-2003, 10:10 PM   #380
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Silmaril

Hello! avatars are the pics you see posted under peoples user names. You should see a picture of Arwen under my name. It's just a picture you pick. If you need help understanding how to get one, let me know, and I'll help you out. The little message icons can either go along with the topic of your post, or you could pick one and use it on all your posts, or whatever you feel like doing. I usually use the Silmaril, or whatever it is. But sometimes I pick a different one to go along with the topic of m post. Hope this helps a bit! I'd be glad to help with anything else! Welcome to the
'downs!!!
Arwen
Old 11-05-2003, 11:41 PM   #381
Mungo of Bracegirdle
Pile O'Bones

Mungo of Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hello Everyone,

I'm quite new here, but not new to JRRT. Hope to get into some facinating discussions with you all soon.

Cheers
Yet the lies that Melkor...sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and connot be destroyed, and ever and annon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit unto the latest days.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:06 PM   #382
Lotessa
Pile O'Bones

Lotessa has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hi there Barrow-downers!

I'm so glad to be here! I'm mad about Tolkien and I'm looking forward to posting here! The forum looks great; so professional!
Anyway, just a little greeting.

~Lotessa
Old 11-07-2003, 01:48 PM   #383
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Welcome, Lotessa! The forums here are great!! Enjoy being dead!!
Arwen
Old 11-07-2003, 02:52 PM   #384
Armiel
Pile O'Bones

Armiel has just left Hobbiton.
Well I guess I'll stick my return to the downs here. I don't know who reads this forum but maybe some of the ancients will remember me. I was usually in the chatroom though. Well I am back and I'm glad to see the downs is doing so well. I can't wait to start posting away. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Armi
Old 11-07-2003, 02:59 PM   #385
Afaranafawen

Silmaril

hi yeah see I've been here for a while but only hiding in the shadows, with no real purpose in life, but there can always be change. Hope to talk with all of you,
~Afaranafawen~

Old 11-07-2003, 09:18 PM   #386
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Welcome to the Barrow-Downs, Newcomers all. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I think that it's time to stick my little promo up again.

If you think that you might enjoy testing your Tolkien knowledge by answering riddles, cryptic posers or straight trivia questions, or finding quotes from the books and the films, come on down to the Quiz Room and Quotable Quotes forums. We have threads to cater for all quiz-minded Tolkien enthusiasts.

Just read the Quiz/Quotes Room rules, find a thread you like the look of and try answering a question. On most threads, if you are correct you get to set the next one. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2003, 11:45 PM   #387
Lotessa
Pile O'Bones

Silmaril

Yes, I'd love to participate in Quizzes. I see you are moderator there, Saucepan Man! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2003, 02:03 AM   #388
The Ninth Valar
Pile O'Bones

The Ninth Valar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hola! I am new to this little haven, and am relatively new to Tolkien. I read The Hobbit and FotR just before the first movie came out after trying two years prior to read FotR and failing. ("So boring!" I lamented.) I read TTT and RotK before TTT came into theatres and topped it off with Silmarillion this past January and Unfinished Tales over the summer. I've got Letters of JRRT and the HoM-E waiting for me, so I think it safe to say I've come to enjoy the world Tolkien created.

I hope to be as positive a contributor here as I have been at the last few message boards I frequented (most prominent being a 14 month stint as a manager at the TFN's JediCouncil).
Old 11-08-2003, 02:21 AM   #389
Lotessa
Pile O'Bones

Silmaril

Welcome Ninth Valar!

which Valar would that make you, then? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Anyway, have fun; I know I'm having fun here!

~Lotessa
Old 11-08-2003, 02:35 AM   #390
The Ninth Valar
Pile O'Bones

The Ninth Valar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Here's how I figured it.

There are 15 Valar, but really, sixof them are lesser, so I only counted the Aratar among them. And the ninth of the Aratar was Melkor (there are eight on the side of the Eru...but there is one more, a ninth and he has fallen).

Or, it could be Manwe, if you are counting them in terms of power, from least to greatest among the Aratar, Melkor being counted as second most powerful (in my opinion, the true Valar; I consider the others great maiar, but I know this is technically false).

Or...I forgot about the other six, saw a list of eight (Manwe, Ulmo, Aule, Orome, Mandos, Yavana, Varda, and Nienna) and said to myself, "The Ninth Valar...that's Melkor, and a nifty name!" [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Hah! So you could say I messed up a bit, but I like it, and that's enough for me. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ November 08, 2003: Message edited by: The Ninth Valar ]
Old 11-08-2003, 08:18 AM   #391
Lotessa
Pile O'Bones

Silmaril

Yea, it is a nifty name! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Clever.

Anyway,we're going off topic [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~Lotessa
Old 11-08-2003, 09:01 AM   #392
Lindril Arvilya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In a box at the end of Harrison Ford's street, with a pair of binoculars
Lindril Arvilya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ooh, hello ickle newbies! *grins hungrily....er... in a friendly manner*

Welcome one and all, I expect to see you outposting me by a lot. Soon. Get going.

Quote:
BTW, does anyone else play harp??
Elizabeth, I did once. I don't remember anything except how to hold my hands and where C is. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
And I think that every girl who likes elves and fantasy plays flute. Yes, me too... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2003, 10:06 AM   #393
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Hmm. Apparently I'm the exception there then... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2003, 10:57 AM   #394
Lotessa
Pile O'Bones

Silmaril

Quote:
every girl who likes elves and fantasy plays flute
Weird, I play electric guitar!
Old 11-08-2003, 11:00 AM   #395
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Welcome all!

I know a girl who plays harp but I don't play it. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] However, in my short lifetime I have played the violin (didn't last long), the flute (until I got my braces) and now I am playing the piano. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Have fun on the Downs, all you dead people! -- and skeletons.

Old 11-08-2003, 05:34 PM   #396
Eowyn:Lady of Rohan
Pile O'Bones

Eowyn:Lady of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Hello, I'm new here. My public name is Eowyn:Lady of Rohan, but my real name is Erin. I am a college student at Portland State University. I am a fan of LOTR. I hope to meet other people.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:56 PM   #397
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
every girl who likes elves and fantasy plays flute
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I absolutley love the Elves, and I play acoustic guitar!
Old 11-08-2003, 08:28 PM   #398
Ashley

Sting

Howdie kids. I've been coming here for awhile and I finally signed up... I'm glad to be here. [img]null[/img]

Old 11-08-2003, 10:53 PM   #399
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Just thought I'd stick my head in here for a moment! Welcome, Ashley!, and I'll say what I always say when someone says, "Hi, kids!" that is, Hi Mom! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

And welcome to you too, Eowyn, aka Erin! I believe I've been posting on a thread you've posted on about Samwise and the Ring lately! I always enjoy new perspectives!

Also, I love your explanation of your name almost as well as the name, Ninth Valar! Welcome and happy despoiling! (Oh, I used to hang out on the TFN Jedi Council message board a long time ago... it was the first message board I posted regularly on, as a matter of fact!) I hope you'll enjoy it here! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I don't know what kind of useful advice I might give to those newly come to this vast, forbidding landscape (or friendly, green pasture!) of a forum, but I'll do my best to answer any questions in true airheaded Pippin style, and may I add a codicil that my views do not necessarily reflect the views of the sane members of this respectable and friendly site! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Enjoy!

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Old 11-09-2003, 04:49 PM   #400
Lindril Arvilya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In a box at the end of Harrison Ford's street, with a pair of binoculars
Lindril Arvilya has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Okay, fine, not EVERY girl. But I'd wager a fair number do. And I play guitar as well, I like it a hell of a lot more.

Lindril (we can do that, yes we can) Arvilya