The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-22-2002, 12:46 AM   #41
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He said that in the book.

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
GreyIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 12:41 PM   #42
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

When I attempted to delete one of a double post, both disappeared. I'm sorry - I retrieved the contents but no longer had the name of the contributor. Here is what the post said: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The only other reason I can think that P.J. would change Faramir so much is that he thought it would steal some of Aragorn's thunder if he portrayed yet another Man who could resist the temptation of the Ring. <P>I'll be seeing the film again, and I'll have to watch this whole interaction, but my first impression was that Faramir let the Halflings go because he was "scared off" from trying to take the Ring. Or some such thing. Hardly the most noblest of sentiments. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Will you please copy, paste and repost it so that you can take credit for it? Thanks!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 01:37 PM   #43
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I don't mean to nitpick Estelyn but you deleted my first post as well. And I'm in the minority of those who are sticking up for Faramir!<P>I can't remember what I said but I'll keep watching the thread and it might come to me.<P>To whoever asked about the "forfeit my life" line. Wasn't that Faramir's final line in the film? If you're talking about the book and not the film then I apologise.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:49 AM   #44
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

I do apologize, Eomer - this thread has been plagued by technical problems. It was certainly not my intention to delete your opinion and I hope you can remember and repost what you wrote!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 11:16 AM   #45
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Cherie Centaur has just left Hobbiton.
Question

I saw TTT last night and I'm still really mad, but GreyIstar's and others' posts have calmed me down some. <P>I personally believe that they ruined Faramir. He was one of the main reasons I watched the movie. Because of the crime PJ did to Faramir I started to see other carnage he made in the movie. FoTR was so much better. <P>I'm now going over the conversation between Frodo and Faramir to review good times. I don't see how they can recover Faramir in the next film without deleting what's already there. <P>Remember they still have to stick in the fight with Shelob and the aftermath of the attack on Isengard. Not to mention Aragorn and Pippen peeking into the palentir. I also have to say that one thing that falters the whole Faramir consulting with Denethor thing is he's on the verge of death through most of the book. <P>There are many things that disgusted me in the movie but that was the worst.<P>(P.S.- This is the passage that I think shows Faramir's true character in TTT:<BR> " 'But fear no more! I would not take this thing if it lay by the highway. Not were Minas Tirith falling in ruin and I alone could save her, so, using the weapon of the Dark Lord for her good and my glory. No, I do not wish for such triumphs, Frodo son of Drogo.'<BR> 'Neither did the Council,'said Frodo. 'Nor do I. I would have nothing to do with these <BR>matters.'<BR> 'For myself,'said Faramir, 'I would see the White Tree in flower again in the courts of the kings, and the Silver Crown return, and Minas Tirith in peace: Minas Anor again as of old, full of light, high and fair, beautiful as a queen among other queens: not a mistress of many slaves, nay, not even a kind mistress of willing slaves. War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend: the city of the Men of Numenor; and I would have her loved for her memory, her ancientry, her beauty, and her present wisdom. Not feared, save as men may fear <BR>the dignity of a man, old and wise.<BR> 'So fear me not! I do not ask you to tell me more. I do not even ask you to tell me <BR>whether I speak nearer the mark. But if you will trust me, it may be that I can advise you in your present quest, whatever that be--yes, and even aid you.' "<BR> There is no way PJ's Faramir could've said that and meant it. Though it isn't the actor's fault. He acted his part well.<p>[ December 23, 2002: Message edited by: Cherie Centaur ]
Old 12-23-2002, 05:50 PM   #46
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

A very eye-opening article on Faramir from TORN:<P><A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1040683523" TARGET=_blank>Faramir</A><P>I would have crumbled in phase 2. I was vehemently against PJ's interpretation of Faramir, but this has given me serious second thoughts.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:18 PM   #47
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Helen,<P>I am in a rush to pack, and have no time to respond to this in detail. It is absolutely true that Faramir was highly suspicious when he first met the two hobbits and pressed them hard.<P>It is also true that the conversations between Faramir and Frodo extend over three chapters, and I could quote paragraph after paragraph, showing the exact opposite side of him--his gentleness, courtesy, the similarity that Sam sees to Gandalf. (The Faramir of the movies seems to have little in common with Gandalf!) And there is no question about the central point. When he learns of the Ring from Sam's blunder, Faramir steadfastly refuses to take advantage of his guests in any way. <P>Go back to the book, reread the three chapters, and then decide what you think.<P>Was Frodo such a bad judge of character that he would say this at the parting and be so terribly wrong?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The hobbits bowed low. 'Most gracious host,' said Frodo, 'it as said to me by Elron Halfelven that I should find friendship upon the way, secret and unlooked for. Certainly I looked for no such friendship as you have shown. To have found it turns evil to great good.' <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Either Frodo was totally deluding himself, or the Faramir of the movie is diferent than the book!<P>sharon<p>[ December 23, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 12-23-2002, 06:36 PM   #48
Man-of-the-Wold
Wight

Man-of-the-Wold has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Well, I like the ToRN analysis, it echoes some of my own points in my new "Goody...Goody" topic.<P>Clearly, Frodo and Faramir's interplay in the Books is too complicated and rich to show in a film, in which so much else needs to be shown.<P>However, for understanding where Faramir ends up (noting as ToRN states that the end-result with Faramir in the Book still has to be arrived at, despite his courtesy, feigned or not) is critically derived from this interplay, which can not be duplicated on screen.<P>So, they use a set of events from the book or invented to show both the tough and wise sides of Faramir, as well as dynamics of Gondor's military situation. The intellectual process used in the book is simply enchanting, but impossible to potray.<P>As I said, what we lose is really the rich representations that Faramir's character provides for understanding the nobility of Men as decended from the Atanni.<P>We also have with these Rangers, as with those of the North, not only Dunedain, but in many ways Numenoreans returning to their First-Age roots.<p>[ December 23, 2002: Message edited by: Man-of-the-Wold ]
The hoes unrecked in the fields were flung, __ and fallen ladders in the long grass lay __ of the lush orchards; every tree there turned __ its tangled head and eyed them secretly, __ and the ears listened of the nodding grasses; __ though noontide glowed on land and leaf, __ their limbs were chilled.
Man-of-the-Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 01:11 PM   #49
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Question

Wow, mark12_30! I never thought of it that way! Maybe the reason I'm so mad at the movie is because movie Faramir isn't the Faramir from RoTK. Though what the guy from TORn said nullifies my rant quite a bit. Maybe I should shut up now and stop posting.
Old 12-24-2002, 02:23 PM   #50
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Well, Cherie, Sharon still has a good point. In the book, Frodo and Faramir part as very good friends, and in the movie, they do not. I agree (now that I've thought about it) with the whole military-style interrogation; but nevertheless, there is a point where Faramir throws in his whole-hearted support behind Frodo, and I do not see that int he movie. One line "then let it be forfeit" or "Then it is forfeit" gives me a hint, but just a hint. <P>Rant, rant....
Old 12-24-2002, 02:58 PM   #51
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Id hold off judgement untilt he Extended Edition and even the return of the King where i beleive we will see Faramir's true metal.

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
GreyIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 03:37 PM   #52
Hawkeye
Pile O'Bones

Hawkeye has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, he had better be portrayed differently in the extended version and rotk! That was just unbearable to watch! Faramir is one of my 3 ultimate favorite LOTR characters (the other 2 being Aragorn and Legolas), and it was just awful seeing him destroyed like that. He was so different from Boromir in the books, and yet there were still similarities between them. Personally, I was pleased with the way they portrayed Boromir in FOTR. It really helped me to understand him more than i had previously in the books. It helped me see his conflict, and the good that was in him, but couldn't get out. but Faramir didn't even have that opportunity in the movie! David Wenham was perfectly capable of being the true Faramir. He looked just right. Gentle, wise, like Gandalf! (as some people have mentioned previously) But he wasn't given a chance to even try. The only redeeming line he had was the one about his life being forfeit. But they weren't supposed to be in Osgiliath in the first place! Sigh... I'm still going to hope that they'll redeem his character in ROTK. If not, then i feel sorry for Eowyn. The Faramir in the movie is no match for her!
Old 12-24-2002, 07:40 PM   #53
Elven Mistress
Wight

Elven Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have only read a few posts because i have a meager ten minutes left to wander about the site. <P>But when i first saw the movie with my family i was mad that Faramir was portrayed like he was. When the movie was over i got up and started jumping because i was angry. My brother looked at me and i told him. He just shrugged, which made me even madder.<P>My friends and i had been talking about going to see the movie together for a while. My one friend is now reading the books and she was at the part with Faramir. Before i saw the movie with my family we were both excited about Faramir. When i told her what they did she was upset, and it made it even worse when she saw the movie. <P>I don't understand at all, and i'm adament about this - there is no reason - why PJ had to change so greatly such a wonderful character!
Old 12-26-2002, 10:07 AM   #54
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Like most everyone else: I'm disgusted.<BR>PJ ruined him! Ruined him! That guy is NOT Faramir. He was supposed to be the exact opposite of Boromir, he wa supposed to overcome the temptation of the Ring! Argh, Faramir better straighten up his act by ROTK or someone's gonna die *glares at PJ*
Old 12-26-2002, 10:22 AM   #55
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

I thought David did a pretty good job, even though he wasn't really the Faramir type.I still thought he did well, but I noticed that they made him meaner than he was in the book.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 04:13 PM   #56
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Question

My family and I were Christmas shopping and my brother's first place to get gifts was at the LOTR rack. I imediately told him not to get me the Faramir action figuare. That's how mad I was (plus those figuares make even Legolas ugly). But I'm over that now. After reading the article on TORN, I've now understood many things, including why the guys in class gawked at me when I told them that Faramir was my favorite character(they haven't read RotK). I thank all for your wisdom.<P>Cherie<P>(P.S.-- I'm gonna change my Sign. )
Old 12-27-2002, 12:46 PM   #57
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Sorry, GreyIstar, you must not have understood my question. I meant where in the book does he say that. Not retorically. For real. I'd like to know where Faramir says that his life is forfeit. I'm not being sarcastic.
Old 12-27-2002, 03:25 PM   #58
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

Does this sound familiar?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>'So it seems,' said Faramir, slowly and very softly, with a strange smile. 'So that is the answer to all the riddles! The One Ring that was thought to have perished from the world... And here in the wild I have you: two halflings, and a host of men at my call, and the Ring of Rings. A pretty stroke of fortune! A chance for Faramir, Captain of Gondor, to show his quality! Ha!' He stood up, very tall and stern, his grey eyes glinting.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It should. That's what Faramir says in "The Window on the West" and he also says this (or something like it) in the movie. The only main difference between Movie-Faramir and Book-Faramir is that Movie-Faramir took the temptation of the Ring much further than Book-Faramir did. In the afore mentioned chapter, Faramir held to his vow <I>Not if I found it on the highway would I take it</I>. Movie-Faramir had no chance to make such a vow as there was no time for he, Frodo, and Sam to discuss things in depth like they did in the book. <P>Movie-Faramir takes much longer to overcome the Ring's Power, while Book-Faramir almost right away denies the temptation, and even tells Sam that it was safe, and even good, for him to blurt out the identity of Isildur's Bane.<P>So, you ask, what's the point?<P>My point is that Movie-Faramir and Book-Faramir aren't so drastically different as I originally thought, and the differences that do exist are because of a lack of time and somewhat poor judgement. The result? Loss of some very important discussions vital to the development of Faramir's character.<P>If only they weren't taken to Osgiliath! <p>[ December 27, 2002: Message edited by: TolkienGurl ]
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 06:16 PM   #59
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Pipe

Faramir definitely grows on you after you see the movie a second time (then again, this is the opinion of a heterosexual female happy just to <I>stare</I> at David Wenham). <P>Thank you for the link, Helen.<P>I concur with TolkienGurl: what ultimately throws <I>any</I> reader off is the whole Osgiliath bit, it comes off somewhat forced, (if PJ really wanted to show off a flying Nazgul yet again, he could have him pop up almost anywhere along the road, why do this detour?) and the initial reaction is to blame the "stupidity" of Faramir's character. When Sam said "by rights we shouldn't even be here,"-one fights the urge to scream, "NO $&%# SAM!!!"
Old 12-28-2002, 05:39 PM   #60
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Whoa this guy had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. At first, I thought he was going to end up as just a meaner version of Boromir. But man was I wrong. After Sam yelled at Faramir about his brother, I saw the look in Faramir's eyes I was hoping for. I loved him in the books, and I still do in the movie. He has the best look for an actor to play this guy. The acting skills were amazing. I couldn't believe it. So cool.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 09:32 PM   #61
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The hobbits bowed low. 'Most gracious host,' said Frodo, 'it was said to me by Elrond Halfelven that I should find friendship upon the way, secret and unlooked for. Certainly I looked for no such friendship as you have shown. To have found it turns evil to great good.' <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Thanks, 7Child, for providing the quote - saves me looking it up (at least after correcting your typos!). This for me is the essence of the Two Towers Faramir. When Frodo meets him, I see Faramir as not so much a character in his own right, but as a part of Frodo's journey. He fulfils the exact same as Galadriel in the first movie, harbouring the fugitives from danger, allowing the plot to slow down a little, and giving both characters and audience a much needed rest. The entire world is not evil, and friendship may be found where you never thought to look for it. Important themes. That was why cutting Lorien so harshly in the initial cut of FOTR was such a crime, because it removed a lot of the beautiful, peaceful side of Middle-Earth. <P>Same with Frodo's journey in TTT. Thanks to the Butchering of Faramir, the only respite that Frodo and the audience get from danger is the short cooking scene. If the danger never lessens, then the impact of the big dramatic scenes like Shelob are lost. Maybe that's why PJ had to put the Nazgul in, because he lost so much when he Moved Shelob. A movie needs ups and downs, so to me the Butchering of Faramir was much worse for Frodo and the audience than it was for Faramir.<P>And once again, by tinkering with such a great work PJ's version has started to bulge at the seams and unravel, like a polo shirt two sizes too small, revealing the flabby interior of the plot. <P>Faramir: "we're taking the ring to Gondor!" <P>Faramir, later: "no, actually, now we've come all this way, I don't think we will. Goodbye, and sorry to have cost you about a week's journey and not given you any more food. Fare well!"<P>I still hold out hope for the ROTK Faramir, though, I'm sure his daddy issues will make good viewing.
Old 12-31-2002, 02:58 AM   #62
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I expressed my opinion of the Character-Formerly-Known-as-Faramir briefly in another forum, but will try to expand on it here. <P>First, David W. did his job as an actor. He said the words he was supposed to and followed the directions he was given. He did his job well, and he should be pleased with his work.<P>PJ & Co. on the other must be slapped and spanked. Dramatic license does not excuse such a complete change in a major character.<P>I was okay until Faramir decided to take the hobbits to Osgiliath. No. Wrong. The essence of Faramir is that while he is supposedly the younger and weaker of the brothers, he is in fact the greater of the two. Boromir has physical courage but not enough moral courage to resist the temptation of the Ring. Faramir, in the book anyway, does have both inner strength and physical courage. <P>While there was not enough time to use all three chapters of Frodo's meeting w/Faramir, it would be quite possible to put together one or two scenes of interrogation dialogue between them by using excerpts, and giving one or more of his men new lines referring to the expected wrath of Denethor and the danger facing Gondor. <P>As I said before in the other forum, I suspect that this character is in fact Faramir's evil twin Clive. He has locked Faramir in a cellar somewhere in Minas Tirith, from which Faramir will doubtless escape in ROTK.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:09 AM   #63
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmm, I think I should rephrase Faramir as being an important supporting character rather than a major character in the books. The reason is that Tolkien devotes more time to many other characters in the trilogy. <P>But F. is important!
Old 01-01-2003, 12:46 PM   #64
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that he is a good actor, but I don't really like the way that he made him so mean. They did a very good job at finding an actor who looked like Boromir, but they made him too much like Boromir. Other than that, he is O.K.
Old 01-01-2003, 02:45 PM   #65
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I agree with all those who are disappointed with the portrayal of Faramir. Child of the 7th age (and others) have already expressed what I think as well. <BR> The spoiling of his character really bothers me a lot, since he is one of my favourites in the book, and those chapters with his long conversation with Frodo are some of the most touching and exciting for me. <BR>In the film, Faramir`s character is not only wrong, but not developed at all. <P>There are even several original quotations from the book , but they get a different meaning in the film because they are not complete and/or are taken out of the context.<P>e.g. “Well Frodo, now at last we understand one another” says Faramir in the film, but in the book he continues “If you took this thing on yourself, unwilling, at other`s asking, then you have pity and honour from me.”<BR>And THAT is meant by “understanding”.! In the film it just means that he has found out that Frodo has the One Ring. <P>And this threatening speech of Faramir “So that is the answer to all the riddles (…………….) a chance for Faramir, captain of Gondor, to show his quality” . Also here, the implication in the film is different, since it is ripped out of the context. <BR>In the book Sam had previously said “Now`s a chance to show your quality. (Meaning of course, if he can resist the ring and prove true to his previous word: “Not if I found it on the highway would I take it”) And finally Sam says “You took the chance, Sir, and showed your quality: the very highest.”<BR>Faramir`s reply “…..I HAD NO LURE OR DESIRE TO DO OTHER THAN I HAVE DONE.” shows a world of difference to the film character!!<BR>And I don’t think it`s possible to “amend “ this in the 3rd film.!<P>Here`s another quotation from Tolkien`s letter #210 :<BR>_____________________________________________ ______________________________<BR>“I do earnestly hope that in the assignment of actual speeches to the characters they will be represented as I have presented them: in style and sentiment. I should resent perversion of the characters even more than the spoiling of the plot and scenery” <BR>______________________________________________ _____________________________<P>I wish the script writers had read this, before making all those unnecessary changes!
Old 01-03-2003, 02:56 PM   #66
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Before I say my opinion on Faramir, I'll let you all know he has been my second favorite character for nearly seven years now.<P>What did I think of him in the movie? Well, if you want me to be honest, I did not find anything wrong with him. Oh, sure, he WAS changed, but not as drastically as I though he would be after hearing what people said about him.<P>So he took the hobbits to Osgiliath. Did you hear what he said there? He was being loyal to his father. No one gets angry because Sam is loyal to Frodo.<P>But I see that everyone is angry because he was different from the books. Was he THAT much different. In many, MANY ways, he was VERY similar to the Faramir I have grown up liking. I think it all depends on how you look at it. If you look at it from a die-hard fan's point of view, you're bound to hate him. But if you look at him through his own eyes, for one, you can completely understand why he's doing what he is. And guess what? He let them go at the end. He said his life was forfeit for them.<P>Now as for David Wenham... he was pretty good. I was prepared for everyone to get a crush on him, therefore making me dislike the character he plays because he'll have millions of Faramir love stories as we find Legolas ones, but fortunately I haven't heard anyone talking about how cute he is. Good! I'm free to like Faramir just as much as always!<P>I entirely disagree with most of you about Faramir. Changed? Yes. Utterly ruined? In my opinion, definitely not.<P>~Nurumaiel
Old 01-03-2003, 03:35 PM   #67
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

It's quite simple. Shelob has been bumped back to Return of the King. Therefore, Frodo and Sam do not have an exciting finish to the movie. It made sense to keep the tension with Faramir going right to the end. It was all about extending the 'Will he or won't he?' question until the end for drama.<P>There wasn't too much different. Faramir in the book questioned the Hobbits when he found them and then, unsatisfied with their answers, took them by force to his stronghold. Faramir in the movie waited until Henneth Annun to question them and then, unsatisfied with their answers, began the journey to a stronghold that happened to be a bit further away.<P>To keep Faramir as the potential Boromir-esque Ring-snatcher (to keep the audience guessing) the changes were necessary. Remember, JRR Tolkien had Shelob lined up for an explosive finale. Peter Jackson had already decided to make the change (which I can understand).<P>In Return of the King we will see the side of Faramir that Sam compared to Gandalf.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:08 PM   #68
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Most of you seem to be missing the main point. The reason why Faramir was changed so much is that he simply could not be portrayed on the screen as he is in the books. Imagine this, his brother goes mad for the Ring attacking Frodo, Galadriel, one of the most wise beings, tells Frodo he has to go to Mordor alone as "one by one it will take them all". It just would be ridiculous to have Faramir, basically a prince, going "Oh so you have the Ring then, don't worry I don't want it." On text it is noble but on screen it is just plain daft.
Old 01-11-2003, 08:02 PM   #69
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have to agree with Numenorean. I think the word "butchered" is pretty strong. One has to remember that the movie is also made for folks who have never read the books. Faramir is a complex and learned character that understands, far more then most men, the danger of The Ring. The film makers likely felt it would be more simple to have him tempted more by the ring then in the book and then grow into his awareness of its evil.<P>Another thing it accomplished is to keep the tension up right to the climax of the film. We basically had action on three related fronts. The natural climax at Helm's Deep and Isengard and the Frodo's and Sam's conflict with Faramir. I think they had to ratchet up the tension a bit in order for the movie not to grind to a crawl every time they cut to Ithilien. I know it bugs the purest, but in the end it makes a better film. You've got to take the good (and there is a hell of a lot of it) with the bad.<P>After my first viewing of TTT, stuff like Faramir and Haldir bugged me. The second time far, far less so.<P>H.C.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:30 PM   #70
Deiagorn
Pile O'Bones

Deiagorn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Deiagorn Send a message via AIM to Deiagorn
Sting

Yeah, Farimir is my favourite character, I was VERY VERY annoyed the first time caus he doesnt seem as strong willed a Aragorn when he is in the book... David did well acting as him, i just hope he rocks in the 3rd...
Old 01-12-2003, 03:56 PM   #71
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

I'm sorry, Numenorean, but I for one do not agree with you. I think that what they did to Faramir's character was emabrassing to Tolkien fans. I understand that they needed to make the movie 'interesting' to the non-tolkienite movie-goers but twisting Faramir's character was *not* that solution. His brother Boromir had *allready* shown weakness to the ring (maybe that was why they changed it so much), but Faramir had been obviously stronger than that in the book, making him one of my more favorite characters. I though it was extremely unecessary for them to change his character.<P>I was lost in ire when I saw the movie for the first time on December 17th, my friend convinced herself that it *wasn't* Faramir at all and that Faramir had been killed prior to the movie and some other character was added in his place. We agreed that there were no similarites between Faramir from the book and the so-called Faramir in the movie.<P>I believe however that I may be so focused on that mistake that I am not being open-minded. I would appreciate if someone could point out *some* similarities between the two 'Faramirs'.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:58 PM   #72
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

I'm sorry, Numenorean, but I for one do not agree with you. I think that what they did to Faramir's character was emabrassing to Tolkien fans. I understand that they needed to make the movie 'interesting' to the non-tolkienite movie-goers but twisting Faramir's character was *not* that solution. His brother Boromir had *allready* shown weakness to the ring (maybe that was why they changed it so much), but Faramir had been obviously stronger than that in the book, making him one of my more favorite characters. I though it was extremely unecessary for them to change his character.<P>I was lost in ire when I saw the movie for the first time on December 17th, my friend convinced herself that it *wasn't* Faramir at all and that Faramir had been killed prior to the movie and some other character was added in his place. We agreed that there were no similarites between Faramir from the book and the so-called Faramir in the movie.<P>I believe however that I may be so focused on that mistake that I am not being open-minded. I would appreciate if someone could point out *some* similarities between the two 'Faramirs'.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:02 PM   #73
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Pipe

Oops, sorry for the double posting. I was working on an old computer.<P>I would like to point out however that even though the character itself was disappointing, David Wenham did a *marvelous* acting job. Bravo!
Old 01-12-2003, 05:13 PM   #74
maiden of the Shire
Pile O'Bones

maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I too came away from The Two Towers feeling a bit confused about the changing of Faramir's character...but the movies are just an interpretation of the book. You may feel it is a bad interpretation, but that's all it is. That being said, I can overlook the changing of Faramir, it works for the movie. They had to move the Shelob stuff to Return of the King since Frodo and Sam don't really have enough to do without it (for a film), and without something threatening Frodo and Sam's journey in the Two Towers their part of the story may have seemed dull on screen especially with Helm's Deep and such being interwoven between their scenes. In a perfect world the film would have been solely made for the fans of the books and therefore Peter would not had to have changed a thing. <P>Fact is, people who have no knowledge of Faramir and know nothing else of Middle Earth save what Peter has given them may not have understood how the entire time during Fellowship they were trying to convey how the ring is so powerful, and (almost) no one can resist it, then all of a sudden here's a man with no will to have the ring whatsoever.<P>Cheers!
Old 01-12-2003, 06:05 PM   #75
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

Sting

You do have a point, maiden of the Shire. The ring was terribly powerful, and Faramir being taken by the ring was understandable. He shouldn't have threatened Frodo though with his "A chance for Faramir to show his quality" bit and "two halfings, and a hundred men at my command" The scriptwriters shouldn't of had him take the ring to Gondor 'on purpose', I guess. It should have gone something like this: When the ranger came in to tell Faramir that Osgiliath was being attacked. Faramir should have said:<P>"I have not yet decided what to do with the ring. You will come to Gondor." <P>When in Gondor and he saw Frodo and Sam's reaction to the ringwraith he should have immediately decided that the ring was alltogether evil and had the two hobbits smuggled safely out of Gondor. Having him say: "Take them to my father, tell him, Faramir sends a mighty gift" wasn't a good call.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:56 PM   #76
Pipi

Sting

I agree that Faramir is different from how the book describes him, but I have an understanding why. I read an article about Faramir in the movie on theonering.net and it said that somethings change from book to movie, and that Tolkien was only a great writer and not a great film maker. If you want to see the article you have to look for jan 3rd articles on the site.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:32 PM   #77
Luinalatawen
Wight

Luinalatawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luinalatawen
Ring

I think the actor who plays Faramir has great talent and potential to play this part, but the character Faramir is definitely not what it should be.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:37 PM   #78
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

perfect in every way
Old 01-15-2003, 03:47 PM   #79
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I am not one of those who is totally devastated by the change in Faramir's character (and he has been my favorite [besides Merry] for many, many years), but I do admit they could have made him a tad bit better.<BR> * ** **<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Faramir should have said:<BR>"I have not yet decided what to do with the ring. You will come to Gondor."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Now that is what I would have liked to see. That way they could have had them go to Osgiliath, but make him a little more true to the book as well.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"Take them to my father, tell him, Faramir sends a mighty gift."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Maybe a little un-Faramir, but I do think PJ&co. were trying to introduce the idea that he's trying desperately to please his father (who doesn't care for him too much).<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>He shouldn't have threatened Frodo though with his "A chance for Faramir to show his quality" bit and "two halfings, and a hundred men at my command"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I found nothing wrong with what was said there. I quote the book:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"And here in the wild I have you: two halflings, and a host of men at my call, and the Ring of Rings. A pretty stroke of fortune! A chance for Faramir, Captain of Gondor, to show his quality!" -Faramir<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The only change here was that afterwards Faramir did <I>not</I> give in to the temptation of the Ring (directly after, not a long time later).<P>I just wanted to post and say that your suggestion for what Faramir <I>should</I> have said was wonderful and came directly from my own mind.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:56 PM   #80
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well I know it may only go a small way in redeeming his charachter but here goes...<P>Faramir in the film was not 'tempted' by the ring. Allow me to explain. If he was tempted to take it it would be because he dreams of becoming all powerful and using it to his own will. Boromir wanted it to rebuild the glory of Gondor and defeat Sauron (and you can make a certain bet he would be the king then). No, Faramir wanted to give the Ring to his father and not use it himself. I doubt Boromir could have done this