The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-12-2002, 03:42 PM   #1
Turambar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Turambar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Turambar
Sting Hear, Hear

I always thought that Tolkien was at his best when writing speech, which is why I like The Shadow of the Past and The Council of Elrond chapters the best in LotR - they're all talk. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

What do you think are the greatest speeches in Tolkien's works. I always liked the Prophecy of the North from Silmarillion:

Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains. On the House of Fëanor the wrath of the Valar lieth from the West unto the uttermost East, and upon all that will follow them it shall be laid also. Their Oath shall drive them, and yet betray them, and ever snatch away the very treasures that they have sworn to pursue. To evil end shall all things turn that they begin well; and by treason of kin unto kin, and the fear of treason, shall this come to pass. The Dispossessed shall they be for ever.
'Ye have spilled the blood of your kindred unrighteously and have stained the land of Aman. For blood ye shall render blood, and beyond Aman ye shall dwell in Death's shadow. For though Eru appointed to you to die not in Eä, and no sickness may assail you, yet slain ye may be, and slain ye shall be: by weapon and by torment and by grief; and your houseless spirits shall come then to Mandos. There long shall ye abide and yearn for your bodies, and find little pity though all whom ye have slain should entreat for you. And those that endure in Middle-earth and come not to Mandos shall grow weary of the world as with a great burden, and shall wane, and become as shadows of regret before the younger race that cometh after. The Valar have spoken.

Great thundering rhetoric, reminds me a little of The King James Bible, and of Blake.

[ March 12, 2002: Message edited by: Turambar ]
Old 03-12-2002, 05:45 PM   #2
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Intriguing topic, Turambar. I might quibble over whether his speech or other aspects are better, but Tolkien's best? I'll look into it and get back to you when I have more time. Gotta run!
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 05:50 PM   #3
Dwarin Thunderhammer
Khazad-Doomed

Dwarin Thunderhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Gotta be Bilbo's elevty-first birthday speech. Priceless!
Dwarin Thunderhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 11:39 PM   #4
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I always liked Frodo's speeches. He seems to have found his "voice" as he journeys through Middle Earth. I'm sure introspection or deep thought on the nature of life were not much encouraged in The Shire.

Unfortunately, as he grows, so does his sadness. When Sam asks him if he recalls fond memories of the Shire, and speaks of not being able to remember any of that life, it just tore my heart.

And I also enjoyed his advise to Sam as he was leaving the Havens.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 05:11 AM   #5
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

One of my favorites is Gimli speaking with Galadriel at the farewell to Lorien. Granted, it's an exchange, but the words of both are priceless:
Quote:
"And what gift would a Dwarf ask of the Elves?" said Galadriel, turning to Gimli.
"None, Lady," answered Gimli. "It is enough for me to have seen the Lady of the Galadrim, and to have heard her gentle words."
"Hear all ye Elves!" she cried to those about her. "Let none say again that Dwarves are grasping and ungracious! Yet surely, Gimli, son of Gloin, you desire something that I could give? Name it, I bid you!
You shall not be the only guest without a gift."
"There is nothing, Lady Galadriel," said Gimli, bowing low and stammering. "Nothing, unless, it might be - unless it is permitted to ask, nay, to name a single strand of your hair, which surpasses the gold of the earth as the stars surpass the gems of the mine. I do not ask for such a gift. But you commanded me to name my desire."
The Elves stirred..."but tell me, what would you to with such a gift?"
"Treasure it, Lady," he answered, "in memory of your words to me at our first meeting. And if ever I return to othe smithies of my home, it shall be set in imperishable crystal to be an heirloom of my house, and a pledge of good will between the Mountain and the Wood until the end of days."
Brings a smile and tears at the same time. Every time.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 08:25 AM   #6
Ahanarion
Haunting Spirit

Ahanarion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gandalf to the Balrog.
Quote:
"You cannot pass" he said "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire wiil not avail you, Flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass."
Old 03-13-2002, 09:03 AM   #7
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
Shield

I really like the fairwell to Borimir songs. It stings me everytime! (I would type it out but I lent my book to somone)
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 09:21 AM   #8
Aseafalathiel

Silmaril

I like the way everyone askes everyone else questions at the Barrow-downs, and so I have a very apt quote...

"Mercy!" cried Gandalf. "If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?" [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2002, 03:39 PM   #9
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Sting

Bilbo's birthday speech - definitely! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote