The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2002, 08:05 PM   #1
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting Book Covers

Does anyone else have the new LOTR books (w/the folks from the movie on the cover?)
If so, who would you want to see on the covers, and why?
Quote:
Sam refused to leave his master. He came and sat, curled up at Frodo's feet, where at last he nodded and closed his eyes.
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 08:18 PM   #2
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have the boxed set with a movie character on each of the books in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. The Fellowship of the Ring has Frodo on the front and Aragorn, Galadriel, and Saruman on the back ; The Two Towers has Saruman on the front and Frodo, Aragorn, and Éowyn (I think that's her) on the back; and The Return of the King has Aragorn on the front and Frodo, Sam, and Arwen on the back. I wish they would have replaced the pictures of Saruman with Gandalf. I also didn't really like the picture of Frodo that was used (the one where he's holding up Sting in Rivendell).
Old 03-12-2002, 01:14 AM   #3
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A picture of the fellowship all together, or the four hobbits, would be nice. The individual shots are nice but groups tell a little more of a story at one shot (if that makes any sense).

And of course, how could you not have TTT with the cover being the Eye of Sauron? [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] . Though of course it'd be kind of hard to look at after a while...
Old 03-12-2002, 06:31 PM   #4
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

I thought the one on FOTR was good, myself...the pivital moment where it all begins. I can almost hear "Frodo" saying, "What must I do?"

I agree about one with the Fellowship together--and as far as the TT, I can see one of "Frodo" and "Sam" there, myself. But, that's me..... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:
Sam plainly was beginning to have doubts again about Strider; but while they were talking he returned, appearing suddenly out of the shadows. They started, and Sam drew his sword and stood over Frodo.
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 03-13-2002, 04:45 AM   #5
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

I like the FotR cover. the TT I didn't like very much---yep, should've been Gandalf.

I think the ME map on the cover would be nice---the map on the cd, i mean.

I thought the movie posters were the actual covers of the movie---there was this one poster with the whole cast on it. That would be a nice.

I've seen the trilogy version, and if I remember, it's got shots of the fellowship on the side. It looked great.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 11:32 AM   #6
Howlin' Pelle

Sting

Depends on who you see as most important. I have a poster that includes Arwen yet not Saruman, which is ridiculous.
Though Frodo is the main character and would normally be the one to go on the front, he is never alone as Sam is always with him.
My book has Gandalf on the front and that's fine with me.
Old 03-13-2002, 03:31 PM   #7
Teleliniel

Sting

i thought the old book covers were better than the new movie ones, more like tolkien would have wanted. they leave you free to get your own picture of what the characters look like. i also love the huge maps they put in the back of 'em [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2002, 04:02 PM   #8
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

I thought the movie posters were the actual covers of the movie---there was this one poster with the whole cast on it. That would be a nice.

Poster? From where!?!? I mean, I know, the movie, but where'd you see it?
Quote:
Sam refused to leave his master. He came and sat, curled up at Frodo's feet, where at last he nodded and closed his eyes.
Old 03-13-2002, 04:06 PM   #9
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up

Quote:
Though Frodo is the main character and would normally be the one to go on the front, he is never alone as Sam is always with him.
I absolutely agree. I wish there was one of both Frodo and Sam. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Quote:
"What about the elves?" said Sam, too excited. "Can't we go and see them? "
Old 03-14-2002, 12:24 AM   #10
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Thumbs up

I think it's the poster for the book ad. I don't really remember. I'm living in Manila, so those posters were all over the place.

The movie website has collections of posters. My favorite is the one with the huge map with the cast surrounding the map. It's the same map you see on the soundtrtack.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 04:11 PM   #11
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

The movie site? Hm....
Quote:
LOTR (Movie) Moment (II) (Moria)
Nine Walkers enter
Frodo's sword glows with blue light
door barred--Orcs coming!
Copyright 2002 S. Uffelman
The Beginning of my first LOTR story
Old 03-15-2002, 05:01 PM   #12
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was given the boxed set (comp. of 7 books) at Christmas. I agree that the 'older' covers look good, but I love my lot, mostly cos it was a present and its in nice bite-size chunks *nummy treat* [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Does anyone have more than one copy, with different front covers? (i.e. movie cover/original cover?)
Old 03-20-2002, 11:50 AM   #13
Elenglin
Pile O'Bones

Elenglin has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I have this beautiful cover on my book:
The whole book is black, exept the cover is bloodred. It has the ring-poem written in tengwar, the writing is black and is has been decorated with silver.

it looks just like an old spell-book or something.
"Apua! Apua! Hän talloo jalkoihinsa sinun lampaasi. Hän on astunut Galathea-raukan päälle, ja se on lituskainen kuin kynnysmatto. Apua! Apua! Hän ruhjoo kaikki sinun pensasaitasi ja hän survoo kaiken viljasi. Sinun täytyy toimia rohkeasti ja nopeasti, isäntä, tai kohta sinulla ei ole mitään jäljellä! Apua!" Garm puhkesi ulvomaan.
Elenglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 06:13 PM   #14
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Sting

i have the same boxed set that Elanor Gamgee has. I like that edition because the print is darker and clearer and the maps are really good an easy to read. I like the paper too, and the size of the books in general. It's a nice edition [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I have a movie poster too.The one with Frodo holding the ring in his hand and looking very dark. heh... I went to see the movie on opening night with my friends, and after the movie, there were ppl dressed up as Middle Earth characters in the lobby asking trivia questions about the book and movie. I answered mine right and got a free poster! I love it. I hope they do that again next year because i definitly want another one!

There are many other great editions of the books. There's this really awesome ROTK with the beautiful illustration of Minas Tirith. I wish i owned a poster of that. I'm getting The Silmarillion this week (a new Barnes&Noble just opened about a block away from my house) so does anyone have any recommendations on which edition i should get?

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Jessica Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 08:22 PM   #15
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have the three-book boxed set with the Alan Lee illustrations on the covers. Wish they had illustrations inside.

I also have an odd three book set that I bought used about 12 years ago. I looked it up after the movie hype started and found out that they were the first American printings from the 1950s, and are worth a fortune now! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Now I'm afraid to touch them, which is why I went out and bought a good reading copy.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 06:12 PM   #16
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I live in the UK (home of Tolkien) and have 4 different sets of LOTR......

..I have two box sets:

one has cover illustrations by Geoff Taylor with green, blue and red spines for the three books

The other has the desgins by Tolkien himself and comes in a green leather-effect box/case

I have a three-in-one hardback edition illustrated by Alan Lee and it has paintings throughout (it's huge)

I also have an older set which have simple but beautiful cover designs by an unknown artist (I found this set in a charity shop for 75p each, not sure what that is in dollars around $1? Which I thought was brilliant!)

As for the film versions, I am going to buy the three book set from the movie which when you put the three together the spines show the entire fellowship walking together, how novel.....

....I love collecting all the different editions and i'm glad that others do the same....
Gorothlammothiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 02:58 PM   #17
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
As for the film versions, I am going to buy the three book set from the movie which when you put the three together the spines show the entire fellowship walking together, how novel.....
Ooo. I wouldn't mind having a set like that.
If that is on the spines, though, what is on the covers?
Quote:
Old 03-25-2002, 03:00 PM   #18
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The covers have movie art of the entire fellowship in hues of Green, Blue and Red [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Gorothlammothiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 09:13 PM   #19
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Per Gorothlammothiel:
Quote:
The covers have movie art of the entire fellowship in hues of Green, Blue and Red
Oooo. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] (Wishes there was a decent bookstore nearby...)
Quote:
LOTR (Movie) Moment (III) (Second Breakfast)
Pippin stops to cook
Aragorn says there's no time
Apple hits a head.

Copyright 2002 S. Uffelman