The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2001, 11:30 PM   #1
GandaIf The White
Shade of Carn Dûm

GandaIf The White has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Give the LOTR team a break.

<BR>Earlier I was critisizing every change in the Movie from the books. But now that I have seen the Trailer I have a new respect for PJ and crew. They have really put alot of effort into the movies and I am willing to forgoe any changes. I am just glad that such a great book is being depicted so well.. things could have come out much worse. How often do you see a 270 Million dollar production like this, and Newline is doing it without knowing whether FoTR will be a hit or not.<br> <br> Sorry to Red, especially, for being such a dope. And if anyone needs help to get Realplayer 8 or Quicktime, which are needed to view the Trailers, I will give you the links. It took me forever to find a free version of RP8. <p>"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000064>GandaIf The White</A> at: 6/27/01 1:36:20 am<br></i>
GandaIf The White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 05:36 AM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Ring

<BR><br><br> <blockquote><i>Quote:</i></b><hr> Sorry to Red, especially, for being such a dope.<hr></blockquote><br> I hope you are apologizing for something other than merely disagreeing. If you've changed your viewpoint,fine. But there is no need to apologize for your earlier stance. <p>Those who will defend authority against rebellion must not themselves rebel. </p>
Old 06-30-2001, 11:46 AM   #3
Drew2K1
Haunting Spirit

Drew2K1 has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> It would be helpfull if you could post the links for Realplayer 8 or Quicktime for me Gandalf, please... <p></p>
Drew2K1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2001, 03:01 PM   #4
Evenspire
Haunting Spirit

Evenspire has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR>Give 'em a break</b><br><br> I'm willing to give the writers/director about 20 moderate (so-so) mistakes. But given that these folk chose such a project, they needn't make big mistakes.<br> Changing Arwen or Eowyn would be a big mistake, leaving out Tom Bombadil makes some sense if time is of the essence.<br> <br> Otherwise, Ron Howard or Rob Reiner may as well make this movie (and Rob didn't do half bad at all with Princess Bride). <p></p>
Evenspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 11:38 PM   #5
GandaIf The White
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ring

<BR><br><br> Here is a link to the Real Player 8 Site. If you look closely at the grey bar in the middle of the screen, it will say &quot;RealPlayer8 Basic&quot;. Click on that and you can go from there. <a href="http://www.real.com/player/index.html?src=downloadr">www.real.com/player/index.html?src=downloadr</a><br> <br> And here is a link to the Quicktime Site. There is a little bar that says Download Quicktime. <a href="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/">www.apple.com/quicktime/download/</a><br> <br> The thing that makes me mad is that it is so hard to find there free versions. The only reason I found them at all is because I was searching another website that gave the links. <br> <br> And the reason I was apologizing was not because I disagreed (Even in my more forgiving mood, I still want Tom) but while I was arguing, I was acting stupid. Just wanted to clear things up.<br> <br> P.S. My cat is sleeping on me, so this message took forever to type. Even though Im a guy, I like cats best. <p>"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000064>GandaIf The White</A> at: 7/2/01 1:49:46 am<br></i>
Old 07-06-2001, 02:56 PM   #6
Drew2K1
Haunting Spirit

Drew2K1 has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Thx Gandlaf the White, I just finished downloading the trailer and it was great. Like you seemed to have I had doubts about the films when I first heard about them, but now I've seen the trailer the only problem I have with the film is they say Sauron differently then I have been for the past 5 years <br> Thx again Gandalf, I'm now going to search some sites to try and find the first trailer...<br> <p></p>
Drew2K1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 11:10 AM   #7
Ring Lord Rules

Ring

<BR><br><br> For me a change here or there is not as important as capturing the deep currents of sadness, courage and sacrifice that these works hold. A director could exactly copy every word from the books and place it on film and it could still be a bomb.<br> <br> For me, I want to walk away feeling the way I do when I read the books, I see my own humanity in Tolkiens words, when I am reading the books, I stand in Frodo's shoes (hairy feet, I mean) and walk with him to the cracks of doom. I feel his sadness and loss... and his great joy. I hope that for two hours, I can feel this in the theaters. <p></p>
Old 07-10-2001, 12:06 PM   #8
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ring

<BR><br><br> Make that six hours, Ring Lord. Woohoo! <p></p>
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 01:00 PM   #9
Ring Lord Rules

Ring

<BR> Re: Give the LOTR team a break.</b><br><br> Now you are talking! Yea! <br> <br> Did any one read the Spy Reports yesterday about the possible changes? They are story spoilers so I won't say what they are here, but they relate to Sauron and to Saruman... I don't like the changes!<br> <br> <a href="http://www.thelandofshadow.com/mordor/palantir.htm">www.thelandofshadow.com/m...lantir.htm</a><br> <br> One of the reposts is about the impaled wizard image circulating on the web. <p></p>
Old 07-11-2001, 06:02 PM   #10
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Ring

<BR> Re: Give the LOTR team a break.</b><br><br> I read the Spy Reports, and I really hope they are wrong. I think it all too likely they are not, however. The debate on the possible changes from book to movie,and whether they are good or bad has been beaten into the ground. But if true, this tampering with the story is senseless. <p>Those who will defend authority against rebellion must not themselves rebel. </p>
Old 07-15-2001, 04:25 AM   #11
GandaIf The White
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ring

<BR> Re: Give the LOTR team a break.</b><br><br> Whatever happens, I dont see a reason to change the death of Saruman.. <a href="http://thesilentman.nexen.net/Images/gandalfempale2.jpg">thesilentman.nexen.net/Images/gandalfempale2.jpg</a><br> <br> I hope these movies make alot of money (like over 200 Million each) so that other movie companys might try to make another movie of LOTR or maybe The Hobbit or The Sillmarillion. <p>"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."</p>
Old 07-15-2001, 08:00 AM   #12
red
Spirit of Mischief

red has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: Inziladun</b><br><br> This whining about the tampering of the story is senseless. <br> <br> -rêd <p><blockquote><p>"He was as noble and as fair in face as an elf-lord, as strong as a warrior, as wise as a wizard, as venerable as a king of dwarves, and as kind as summer."</p> <p>-A Short Rest, <i>The Hobbit</i></p></blockquote></p>
Old 07-15-2001, 08:10 AM   #13
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Besides, the wheel Sharkey is impaled on looks to me like a spikey version of a mill wheel. A change to the story no doubt, but one I can comprehend. I even have to acknowledge that the idea of Sharkey getting impaled on the mill wheel he himself had installed would be quite witty.<br> <br> Argh! What did I do? I agreed with réd! Help!<br> <br> <p></p>
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote