The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-19-2002, 08:07 PM   #1
Estel Edain

Tolkien Hope?

I am curious to see what others are thinking...<P>From all of the reviews, we keep hearing people mention how dark The Two Towers is. Upon leaving the theater, my husband (who recently finished reading TTT and is working on ROTK), made an observation that the movie was full of hope. I have been thinking about this since seeing it, and have to agree. <P>In the appendix of ROTK, Tolkien goes into further detail of Aragorn and Arwen's story. Hope is mentioned many times...Aragorn's name given to him by Elrond even means "hope" in Elvish. I am grateful that this theme was picked up on by PJ and crew and threaded throughout the movie...even if one has to look hard for it. Here are some "hopeful" instances that I can remember (right now...need a second viewing..):<P>The interaction between Smeagol and Frodo. I believe that Frodo not only sees in Smeagol what he himself could possibly become, but also hope that Smeagol can be redeemed. I guess hope that there might still be good left in him. Likewise, there is hope that in Smeagol's "new found goodness", the quest might just be accomplished. It almost seems that Frodo begins to lose this hope when he sees Gollum begin to reappear.<P>The Legolas and Aragorn interaction. Legolas began to lose perspective and accordingly, was overwhelmed by the surrounding circumstances. He sees the strength that is in Aragorn...although seemingly hopeless...who sets his mind to fight to the bitter end. Although different from the book, the Elves coming to Helms Deep brought hope. Hope of renewed relations, and hope for the battle. Legolas is able to grasp this. <P>Gandalf freeing Theoden. The people of Rohan had lived in such despair under the shadow of Saruman...that when Theoden was freed, even with looming war, a cloud seemed to be lifted. <P>These are just a few of the instances that I can think of. I'm interested to hear others opinions...and to see if you can see hope in the despair.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:21 PM   #2
Aragorn2002
Haunting Spirit

Aragorn2002 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Aragorn2002
I agree with you 100% on this issue. Hope was mentioned many times during the movie. There fore I believe the movie did symbolize hope in many different ways.
________
redheaded Cams

Last edited by Aragorn2002; 04-15-2011 at 03:20 AM.
Aragorn2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 10:51 PM   #3
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Gandalf's coming with the dawn was really nice, very fiery and bright and turning-the-tideish.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 11:47 PM   #4
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes I loved that too.<P>Hope is definately a huge thing in the movie. It is dark, and yet hopeful.
Old 12-20-2002, 07:41 AM   #5
Thingol1000
Animated Skeleton

Thingol1000 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"The interaction between Smeagol and Frodo. I believe that Frodo not only sees in Smeagol what he himself could possibly become, but also hope that Smeagol can be redeemed. "<P>I think it is more of a <I>"must be redeemed"</I> then <I>"can be redeemed"</I><BR>Otherwise, Frodo is inevitably looking at himself in the future. That's not hope, thats damm scary.<BR>Otherwise I agree with you 100%<BR>(I thought the movie rocked)
Thingol1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 10:07 AM   #6
Estel Edain

Sting

Thingol, great point! I think "must" conveys the gravity of Frodo's position much more than "can"...<P>I also thought of something else this morning...Towards the end of the movie (note: I'm refering to PJ's use of hope...not Tolkien's), Frodo becomes completely submerged in his situation and cannot hope for himself. I love how Sam begins to hope for the both of them. If anyone has reason to despair I think it would be Sam. Looking at the rest of the fellowship, you have the front men who are used to the battle (Aragorn, Boromir, Gimli, Legolas)...then you have the hobbits who are a little bit accoustomed to adventure (Merry, Pippen), and even Frodo who once desired adventure. But Sam was sort of pulled into going along...a simple gardener. <P>I think one of Sam's main roles is to cling to hope for Frodo...One can only imagine if Sam sat down and gave up. Which brings more poignancy to Sam's "Hope" speech.