The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-19-2002, 11:52 PM   #1
Isenna
Pile O'Bones

Isenna has just left Hobbiton.
Question What's the word?

Hey guys, I'm a new (15 mos?), but huge LOTRs fan, and I'm also an intern director. I've never heard the true opinion of 'real' LOTRs fan on PJ. I hope this isn't viewed just as a 'newbie thread', because I am really serious. I am curious as to what you all think about PJ's job on these movies? I was upset about a couple of things he did ('vision crap' as I think it was put ), and that he's dropping the end of the ROTK. I think that Arwen shouldn't have been changed so much, and there should be more mistery surrounding Aragorn. None of this "This is Aragorn, son of Arathorn, heir to the throne of Gondor" stuff. If I remember right (correct me if I'm wrong), you don't know he's the king until later in the book and you don't know who he falls for until near the end. I haven't seen TTT yet, but I will by the time I come back to check this (playing hooky tomorrow ) So what do you think? I don't mean replies such as "I hate him" or "Good job PJ", detailed opinions please. I'm hoping to better myself as a director because maybe on day I'll be putting someone's favorite book on screen. Sorry if this is a duplicate thread, I looked at everything since TTT came out, and I didn't see anything. Thanks!
Isenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 12:10 AM   #2
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Well, be ready for mixed opinions, because there is no way for a director to impress everyone of his fan base... especially when tackling such a beloved story.<BR>Here are my opinions:<P>Overall, I think he has done great. He has worked well with the actors and crew to try and provide Tolkien fans with the best movie that he can. He even went so far as to hire loved Tolkien artists to do all of the design (I don't know if other director's would've done that - I shutter when I think of "Lord of the Rings... directed by Steven Spielberg" - he's good in his own medium).<P>One thing I've noticed is that PJ seems to have an obsession with slow motion. It works very well in spots, but it is in other places that it doesn't belong. Example... it works well in moments such as: when the Nazgul come to Weathertop, Boromir's last stand, Sam running to save Frodo, when Shadowfax enters... It doesn't work so much when: the Uruk-hai is running to light the bomb, when Pippin is in Treebeard and yells, "Meeeeerrrrryyyyyy!!!", when Legolas flies onto the horse...<BR>He picked very great moments to use it, but I think it is overdone a tad (not too bad though - I am just being extra critical now).<P>You can tell that he loves the gore parts. It seems as though everything involving some sort of evil character it thoroughly thought through. It's not that he doesn't work as hard with other parts... it just seems like the "Bad guys" are given more "direction (as in... move here, put your hand like this, make this noise when this happens, etc...)" than the "good guys". I don't always like when everything is specifically blocked, it makes it more mechanical (such as the slow motion torch run... sorry it was comical to me).<BR>I like that the actor's were given the freedom to discuss their characters with him. It is excellent when the actor and director are able to communicate in a noble fashion and come to a conclusion that they both agree about. I think that the actor and director should work equally hard for the finished product (it seems as though sometimes the director does most of the work while the actor just says, "ok, I'll move here on this line").<P>I know that he hasn't pleased everyone with the screenplay. But a lot of people don't realize how complicated it can be to write one. I think it is grand that they keep the flow of the story while inserting people's fav parts. People spend too much time complaining about what PJ left out, instead of praising what he's left in. Since I view them as two things, each in their own... I loved it when I heard a line recited as it was in the book. I thought, "He's really put a lot of dedication into this".<P>I hope I've helped some. You sound very passionate about your work, which is essential in the business. I am an actress who is just starting... so it's kinda the same. Asking questions is one of the best things you can do (well, that and observation). Best wishes on your career.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 02:02 AM   #3
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi & welcome Isenna - I'm a (relative) newbie too. I won't go into my opinions of PJ - you can find out by reading the various threads in this forum. As has been said, opinions vary a great deal - I will say I belong to the 'positive' people in this question.<P>Another thing:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>..and there should be more mistery surrounding Aragorn. None of this "This is Aragorn, son of Arathorn, heir to the throne of Gondor" stuff. If I remember right (correct me if I'm wrong), you don't know he's the king until later in the book.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That's not quite true - if you go back & read the passage in "Fellowship.." where Frodo wakes up in Rivendell after his narrow escape from the Ringwraiths. He & Gandalf have a rather long talk there - & Gandalf does mention that Strider is of royal Numenoranian blood, though I'm pretty sure it's not <I>specifically</I> mentioned that he's an actual heir to the throne of Gondor. Anyway, Aragorns origin is no mystery to the reader at the counsil of Elrond.
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote