The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-29-2004, 10:12 AM   #1
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
LotR 50th Anniversary Conferences: Info

Don't know if any of these have been mentioned here on the Downs, (think Tolkien 2005 was a long time back) but..

There are a couple of major international conferences, this year & next.

First is in Milwaukee, at Marquette University, Otober 22-23, 2004: www.marquette.edu/library/registration.html (call 414 288-5901).
A two day conference. Various topics & themes, including Morality & Theology, Class Difference & Predjuice, Teaching Tolkien, Language & the Inklings & Middle Earth as Mythic Prehistory.

Guests to include: Douglas Anderson, Jane Chance, Verlyn Flieger, John Garth, Wayne Hammon, Carl Hostetter, Tom Shippey & Patrick Wynne.

Second is in Birmingham (the real one, in England ) next year, 'The Ring Goes ever on' , August 11th - 15th, : www.tolkiensociety.org/2005
Subjects including Tolkien Linguistics, Reception of Jackson films, ecology & environment, & Hope, Sacrifice & Courage in LotR.
with guests including: Verlyn Flieger, Tom Shippey, Michael Scott Rohan & Brian Sibley.

Also, while I'm at it, The Chestertonian Institute for Faith & Culture is holding its first Oxford Conference on 12 - 15th August this year entitled 'Landscapes with Angels': Fantasy, Children's Literature & the Spiritual Role of the Imagination. www.secondspring.co.uk/fantasy

Talks including: Tolkien's Elvish England, Celtic Fairy-World, Towers & Wardrobes, Pullman & the Anti-Inklings, Mythopoea & Harry Potter (by Dr Ted Sherman, Professor of English at Middle Tennessee State University, who gave one of the best, funniest, cleverest & most insightful talks on the Fairy Stories essay I've ever heard at last year's Oxonmoot (Tolkien Society annual get together in Oxford)).
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 03:34 PM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Since this is an announcement, not a book discussion, I'm moving it to the Barrow-Downs forum. Please read and post there.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 04:04 PM   #3
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Don't forget another 50th anniversary event: The Golden Ring Marathon. This one is planned for October 20th, the exact date of the fiftieth anniversary of the Return of the King. It's more of a film festival than a Tolkien conference.

All of the others look very interesting, though very far for me.....

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 09:32 AM   #4
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Yes please join The Golden Ring Marathon. We need your help in planning the event!