The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-28-2008, 05:53 AM   #1
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Admin Thread - Werewolf LIII: The Republic

The Moddesses:

Fea
Mithalwen
Rikae

The Players:

3 – corrupt politicians (werewolves)
1 – zealous reporter (seer)
X – ordinary villagers

The Concept:

A rider swept into the village one night carrying a package: he was directed to the home of the village scholar. He stayed only briefly, and then wasn’t seen again. The scholar spent the following days in seclusion, studying the plague of werewolves upon the world.

One day, about a week later, the scholar stepped forth from his home and called a town meeting.

“I know why people keep misdiagnosing lupine symptoms!” he cried to the people.

“Why?” they asked.

“It’s because the uneducated rabble are allowed a popular vote and we all know that they oughtn’t to be allowed to make such significant decisions when they’re merely uninformed blockheads!” he responded at full volume.

The people were rather offended. “Why shouldn’t we kill you for what you’ve just said?” they asked.

“Because I have a solution!” he cried.

“And that is?” asked a villager, eyebrow raised.

“Everybody will still get a vote,” he assured, to people’s relief, “but they will vote for the best and the brightest to represent their interests.”

His statement was met with blank stares.

He tried again. “The next time we have a problem with werewolves, witches, demons, vampires, or other unsavory sorts, rather than each villager picking who he wants to kill, each villager should choose somebody they believe to represent their best interests, and then the representatives chosen will put their smarter-than-average heads together and get us out of the mess.”

The villagers began to nod, some sooner than others, comprehending. One villager spoke up. “So instead of voting on issues, we vote on people to solve our issues for us?”

“Exactly! You delegate responsibility! It will simplify everything!” cried the scholar.

The village was dubious, but he was a scholar, and everybody knows that scholars are always right. Thusly the democratic village evolved into a wee bit of a republic overnight.

Night Time:

Nights will last 24 hours.

The wolves have the right and ability to communicate amongst themselves. They will choose a villager to kill. They will send the name of this villager to the moderator at least one hour before Day is to begin. That villager will be found dead at dawn.

The seer has the right and ability to request the identity of one villager per night from the moderator.

Day Time:

Days will last 48 hours.

During the Day, wolves are forbidden from communicating amongst themselves via Private Message.

The Day will contain two deadlines.

Deadline One will occur at the end of the first 24 hours. It is by Deadline One that the villagers must choose who will represent their interests in the final vote. Villagers will not vote for the player they believe to be a wolf. Villagers will vote for another villager to represent them: these chosen players are thence forward called Representatives. A player must acquire two non-retractable votes of confidence in order to become a Representative. A player may never vote for his or herself. A Representative’s vote carries as much power as there were votes to make said player a Representative, therefore: the final vote of a Representative who was chosen by four villagers will have exactly twice as much weight as the final vote of a Representative who was chosen by only two villagers. As long as a villager has received at least two non-retractable votes of confidence from the village before Deadline One, s/he will be considered a Representative for the final vote.

Votes of confidence (which elect Representatives) should appear as:

++Fea

Deadline Two will coincide with the end of the Day (24 hours after Deadline One). It is by Deadline Two that the village’s chosen Representatives must decide upon who will be lynched. To reiterate: the village will have 24 hours during which to choose Representatives, who will have a further 24 hours to vote for who they think should be lynched as a wolf. Representatives are by no means obligated to vote according to the wishes of their constituents, though it should be obvious that voting against the wishes of the people who elected you will probably result in bad karma.

The final non-retractable lynch-vote given by a Representative as a means to choose which villager is to be killed at the end of Day should appear as:

++Fea++

All villagers are allowed to talk for the entire duration of the Day, but only Representatives may vote after Deadline One.

Deadlines will be measured by the Barrowdowns clock.

Summarized Rules:

Votes are non-retractable.

You may never vote for yourself.

In the event of a tie-vote amongst Representatives, multiple lynches will occur.

Wolves may only PM at Night.

Dead players may communicate with each other about the game if they so desire, but not with players who are still alive. No crossing planes of existence.

Deadlines occur at X:00 ‘Downs time. Any votes logged at X:01 or later will not be counted.

As this game could easily fall into discussions of politics, role-playing is strictly prohibited. This game is absolutely not to break Barrowdowns Policy in any manner, but specifically in regard to political opinions. Keep ‘em to yourselves. Any breach of this rule will result in immediate and merciless modfire. If the delinquent player’s vote has already been cast, the vote will be disqualified. This remains true even if the player is a chosen Representative. Keep that in mind: if you’re a Rep and you get modfired, you’re throwing away the vote of every person who chose you. There will be no exceptions to this rule. Absolutely no personal politics, end of story.

Player List:

the phantom
Eönwë
Lommy
Legate
Diamond18
Gwathagor
Aganzir
Shasta
mormegil
Nogrod
Boromir88
Greenie
McCaber
Nerwen (?)
Rune
Brinniel
Gil-Galad
Ilya
Sally
The Ka

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 11-09-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:55 AM   #2
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sign ups start now. We will begin as soon as possible after the end of Diamond's game.

Deadline is negotiable due to the nature of the game: a significant number of players must be able to be around for deadline. Let me know what will be the best deadline for you and I'll make an executive decision.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:25 AM   #3
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sign me up please.

A quick question: If you are voted to be a representative, if you vote for another representative, does that mean that your votees' weight (as in how many people voted for you) gets passed on to your representative, or do you still vote as a representative, just not representing yourself?
Old 10-28-2008, 06:28 AM   #4
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Gotcha.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:21 AM   #5
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I have a feeling this will be horrible, but please sign me in.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:27 AM   #6
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I am sure this will be great, it looks most, most interesting. Whenever it's going to take place, already now I am sure I'd like to attend this one.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:06 AM   #7
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
*comes in a whirlwind and covered with birthday confetti*

Am I too late to join? Sorry to come all of the sudden, but Aganzir and Sally convinced me that this would be awesome. Plus, it would work perfectly with my horrible work schedule. I'm really looking forward to 24 hour days and nights, and the representative element. Oooh, reminds me of Political Science 210 all over again! This sounds fun, so, if there's room for one more, please may I join?

Quote:
Representatives are by no means obligated to vote according to the wishes of their constituents, though it should be obvious that voting against the wishes of the people who elected you will probably result in bad karma.
... And a guillotine. Please?

In a way, I really shouldn't be attracted to this after two bloody years of the same thing, but it's much sweeter actually knowing your representatives now.

Also, I'm really wondering if this experiment is going to morph into a completely tyrannical form later on, like maybe a Jacobian Club.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:28 AM   #8
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
like maybe a Jacobian Club.~Ka
I was thinking more of the Salem Witch trials, but I like this reference much better. Good to have you on "the floor" Ka.

testing, testing...

Sally, wrap whatever you want to highlight in quotes, and just replace the word "quote" with "highlight".

Last edited by Boromir88; 11-09-2008 at 08:31 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:24 AM   #9
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
I was thinking more of the Salem Witch trials, but I like this reference much better. Good to have you on "the floor" Ka.

testing, testing...

Sally, wrap whatever you want to highlight in quotes, and just replace the word "quote" with "highlight".

Oho!

Thanks, Boro!
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:45 AM   #10
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka View Post
if there's room for one more, please may I join?
Yes. I'll be mailing out the roles some time in the next couple hours. Anybody know if Nerwen's still in?
Old 11-09-2008, 10:27 AM   #11
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Given that we have quite a few players, would a pack of four wolves sound fair?
Old 11-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #12
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka View Post
... And a guillotine. Please?
That's what I have been hoping for from the beginning. What more appropriate matter of execution for the newly formed Republic anyway?

P.S. Vive la Commune de Paris!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 10-29-2008, 10:02 AM   #13
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'm in...that is if you'll have me.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #14
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Well, if you can make these long Days interesting, the better, because I am somewhat worried they might be pretty long and silent.
No reason to worry about that sort of thing, Legate.

the phantom is playing.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #15
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
the phantom is playing.
Mwa ha ha. In that case, I already know what I am going to do...

Okay all people, let's NOT vote Mr.P. as our representative at all!!!
Old 10-29-2008, 12:16 PM   #16
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Okay all people, let's NOT vote Mr.P. as our representative at all!!!
Except if I tell you to. Seriously.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:35 PM   #17
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Now if I understand this correctly, there will essentially be 3 full periods to complete a cycle, evertime. So we have 24 hours to elect a representative, 24 to lynch, 24 to night, then start all over with a new 24 hour period to elect new reps...correct?
Old 10-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #18
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
No reason to worry about that sort of thing, Legate.

the phantom is playing.
Oh lord....
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:08 PM   #19
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I'm in... how could one miss this?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #20
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Yes Legate, no need to worry...

Quote:
the phantom is playing.
Because I will be joining in the melee too, Fea.