Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2007, 03:20 PM   #681
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
That sounds fine to me, and the simplest, too.

Can't stay to explain some thoughts in my head. Just write, everyone. I've got to go now, but I may be back and might write a post later today, I don't know.

-- Folwren
Old 11-08-2007, 09:07 PM   #682
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Captain, if you're anywhere around - it'd be pretty sweet if you could post presently.

-- Foley
Old 11-08-2007, 09:12 PM   #683
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I added a bit from Lachrandir's perspective after posting for Thorn, and Foley posted while I was editing. It doesn't appear to have affected anything.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:27 PM   #684
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
lmp: I left it open for Thorn to either assign Fastarr to a job Thorn sees reasonable or to do as Fastarr himself wishes (which would mean he would get back to the hunt and try to save Khandr if he can disregarding the Song).

btw. is there already an idea how Khandr will die?

PS. Nice to see Ruadan back on his feet Foley!
Old 11-09-2007, 10:08 PM   #685
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dūm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Captain, if you're anywhere around - it'd be pretty sweet if you could post presently.

-- Foley
I apologize, but as I stated earlier, I'm having quite the busy week at the moment with papers. I will try to post as soon as possible, but that will likely not be until Monday...maybe Sunday...at the earliest.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:12 PM   #686
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainofDespair View Post
I apologize, but as I stated earlier, I'm having quite the busy week at the moment with papers. I will try to post as soon as possible, but that will likely not be until Monday...maybe Sunday...at the earliest.
That's perfectly alright, Captain. It occurred to me that by the time Ruadan had gotten back to Brodda, the hunt should already have started off - so it's fine if you don't write for a couple days yet.

I think we're kind of waiting on Child. Sorry.

-- Fol
Old 11-10-2007, 01:32 PM   #687
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Regarding Khandr's impending death, I have had Thorn suggest to Fastarr that it will be murder. I think that follows in line with what Child has been planning. If so, who is the murderer? My thought, in keeping with how Foley is portraying Uldor and Ulwarth, is that Ulfast is the most evil of the three brothers, and also the most shifty, if you know what I mean. Uldor is a bit less subtle and forthright, for all his naked ambition and willfulness. Ulfast is, by contrast, more of a snake. My thought is that he will make as if to befriend Khandr on the hunt and stay near him from the beginning, engaging him in seemingly friendly banter (perhaps not unlike that between Legolas and Gimli at Helm's Deep - how ironic!), and will do him in some place and time while others are some distance away - he will think that he has done his foul deed in secret, but does not know that Fastarr is eye witness. At least, that's one suggestion. Thoughts?
Old 11-10-2007, 04:37 PM   #688
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Originally, the idea was that Jord was going to do him in.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:16 PM   #689
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Child hasn't written because she's waiting on Durelin.

I just wrote a note to Folwren and Lalaith about this. Looks as if I should have checked the thread first!

The original plan was definitely Jorda. We had an elaborate subplot built up at the very beginning of the game that had the approval of the founder. That's why Embla was sent to spy on Jorda. However, I don't think it's a good idea to have it done by someone who is not actively writing at the moment. I know Durelin is in her first year of college and she must be up to her eyeballs in work. I am writing her one last time, but if we don't hear back I think we need to go ahead.

Folwren had suggested Uldor as the culprit. I think that would be fine. But if you'd rather hash it out here among various candidates, that is alright too. I'm willing to be done in by whoever you think is best.

I am putting up a save and will fill it in as soon as Lalaith confirms what I've writter her in the note....
Old 11-13-2007, 02:49 PM   #690
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
lmp: Check what I wrote for Thorn and tell me if something is not the way it should be.

And sorry, it would have been nice to continue that discussion for a round or two but I'm afraid I don't have too much time on these last days before my trip (as I've said I will be off to Cuba from Saturday morning onwards for a week). So I felt a need to break this situation down. I will have time to make any corrections though.

I'll be back to come in with the actual happenings in the hunt after Nov. 25th.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:06 AM   #691
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
lmp: Check what I wrote for Thorn and tell me if something is not the way it should be.

And sorry, it would have been nice to continue that discussion for a round or two but I'm afraid I don't have too much time on these last days before my trip (as I've said I will be off to Cuba from Saturday morning onwards for a week). So I felt a need to break this situation down. I will have time to make any corrections though.

I'll be back to come in with the actual happenings in the hunt after Nov. 25th.
THe words you have given Thorn cannot be improved upon. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:26 PM   #692
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Erm...heyyy... ><

I have a few days off for thanksgiving break (possibly more if I decide to skip the last couple of days before break...), so I can try and get posts up then, but I see no reason for you guys to rely on me, so...

I do like being evil...and I miss writing for fun.

Anyway, I'll do my best if everyone wants to go with the original plans, but I'm fine with anything. At this point you all certainly have the right to do whatever you want with my character, too, so I really thank you for waiting so long to hear at least a word from me...

Edit: After the break I'm afraid I will be disappearing again, though, for three weeks, because those are the last three weeks of the semester...3 term papers + exams will unfortunately have to be my first priority. But, who knows, maybe I'll have more time than I expect...? Heh. I am about 3/4s of the way done with one paper...about...

Last edited by Durelin; 11-14-2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:32 PM   #693
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Evil temptress! You're back!
Eggssselent.....
Old 11-14-2007, 03:43 PM   #694
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Yeah...what Lalaith said...

Only with excellent spelt correctly.

Hey, if you've got time, we'd love to have you back. Do write for evil Jord and we'll try to get this murder completed before you leave again. I'd prefer that, now that I've got Fastarr spying on me. <- Grumpy Uldor.

-- Folwren

Last edited by Folwren; 11-15-2007 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:17 PM   #695
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Only with excellent spelt correctly.
Hee hee! I almost missed that bit of funny, Foley.

Durelin, I've kinda taken over Ulfast and have written in that Ulfast has SECRET "kahoots" with Jord that he is confident Uldor doesn't know about. Jord may know something better, or not, as you prefer, but I thought I'd give you a heads up.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:38 AM   #696
Child of the 7th Age

Durelin,

So good to see you!

Send me a pm to let me know exactly how you plan to do this, and what I should have Khandr do....
Old 11-15-2007, 06:32 PM   #697
Child of the 7th Age

Lalaith - I used your character to do a set-up question. If there's any problem with that, let me know.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:19 PM   #698
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Child,

Are things figured out? Can we set out on the hunt? Or what needs to happen now before we start?

-- Folwren
Old 11-20-2007, 12:59 AM   #699
Child of the 7th Age

I see no reason why the hunt can't set out. It's my understanding that Durelin will go ahead and do the scenes for Jord to murder Khandr, hopefully this week. That's one of the reasons I had Khandr go off on his own. It will make it easier for Jord.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:46 PM   #700
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Either Durelin or NOggie around to talk to Embla in the near future?
Old 11-22-2007, 08:34 PM   #701
Child of the 7th Age

Durelin,

Your pm box is full so I'll put this here.....

Any chance of Jord doing in Khandr in Treachery before you get back to school? I've purposely made him go off on his own so you're welcome to use him as you need. If you want to mention that he is trying to spy on Jord, that would be alright too.....

If you need a set up post, let me know. If your schedule prevents you from writing, just let us know.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:15 PM   #702
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm sorry...again...repeatedly...endlessly...

It's just not working right now. When I have free time I don't have the energy much less the inspiration to write...or do much of anything. I'm very sorry, but it seems I need to sort more things out than just school work right now.

I will try to be back...really back...soon, but...please go ahead without me...and please, anyone can use/take over Jord/Thuringwethil as you'd like.

I should have simply posted months ago that I was unable to be active, and just let you know that rather than have kept you waiting, as Child has most patiently asked.

I'm very sorry.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:26 PM   #703
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Hmm.... I'm willing to give Jord a go, but am most willing to step aside if another would like to volunteer.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:57 AM   #704
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Oh dear. That is unfortunate, Durelin, and I am more than sorry to hear it. But, what must be must and a cracked egg cannot be mended.

Elempi, I am not willing to take Jord. Uldor is difficult enough for me. I'll try to think of someone that can join the game and that would make another player which would be great...

-- Foley
Old 11-26-2007, 04:50 PM   #705
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

The things started to look like they were unfolding at last but it seems I have lost nothing during my trip...

Okay. I hope you Foley get someone to play Jord or we do come up with a different solution to our problem here. I just don't think there is any reason for me to doublepost in the thread so I'll wait and see what you others come up with.

I hope to see you Dury back in action also here! But first things first.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:57 PM   #706
Child of the 7th Age

Dury - We will miss you and hope things are going well.

If Imp is willing to play Jord, we could certainly do that.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 11-26-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:02 PM   #707
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age View Post
Since Imp is willing to play Jord, shall we do that?
Why not? With this pace we'd need all the effort to get us forwards.

Lalaith: I could have Fastarr meet Embla. He would be in a hurry to look after his lord and that might create some nice tension there and maybe we could be creating some new possibilities for Embla as well. I'd like to see you write the introduction to the scene so just write that Fastarr comes with full gallop and Embla manages to stop him... and whatever she then does. I'll answer that post asap. after it is posted.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:50 PM   #708
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Before I even begin to try to wrap my brain around Jord/Thuringwethil, I'd be interested to find out who Foley is thinking of to fill the role. I think there may be some clever-good writers out there who could do the trick and help enliven this rpg with some of their new spice.

Perhaps Encaitare? Diamond?
Old 11-26-2007, 07:58 PM   #709
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dūm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
I'm quite sorry, everyone!

I had meant to get around to working on things for Treachery last week, but a resurgence of an illness I acquired some weeks ago has stalled any progress towards that. I have three large papers coming up (one due Dec. 4th and the other two afterwards), as well as the run-of-the-mill finals in the next three weeks.

As such, if an action requires Brodda, feel free to "use" him as needed until I can return. I'll try to get around to a post or two if possible in that span, but with the nastiness of this illness and the upcoming work getting to me, I may not be able to.

Perhaps after this spat of sickness and work I might be able to get around to wrapping up Brodda in regards to setting up his end-game connection with Morgoth.

And again, I apologize for my prolonged absence.

-CoD
Old 11-26-2007, 08:48 PM   #710
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I have no one in particular in mind, Elempi. I would like to find somebody and suggestions are welcome. I'll ask those two you mentioned. I'll check how often they're on, too.

Tell you what - let's move the game forward - the hunt, that is - without worrying about Khamir or Jord. Uldor will start the hunt thinking, "The imbecile can catch up in his own precious time." Nogrod and Lalaith, you do what you're planning.

In the mean time, I'll search for someone to play Jord.

How does that sound?

Captain, I'm sorry you were sick. We'll use Brodda as little as possible but as much as necessary so he's not cut out altogether. I hope to see you join us again soon.

-- Foley
Old 11-28-2007, 04:59 AM   #711
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Was not the hunt Khandr's idea? How can he just go wandering off without consequence? Surely this is not in keeping with the way things would have worked? Sorry for bringing this up late, but it's been niggling at me for days.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:00 AM   #712
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

It's not in the way of keeping, but if Khandr gets murdered before they even leave the settlement, I don't see a hunt happening at all. I thought we were going to go off and Khandr was going to killed during the hunt - in the heat of it.

I don't know how else to move the game forward, but I don't mind stalling a bit longer (I've been so ill-organized and busy, I feel like a chicken without a head) to figure it out.

Child, what do you think?

-- Folwren
Old 11-28-2007, 11:07 AM   #713
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
It's not in the way of keeping, but if Khandr gets murdered before they even leave the settlement, I don't see a hunt happening at all.
Unless his body is found afterward. But why would the hunt go on at all without Khandr since he is its host?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:08 PM   #714
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Noggie, I'm on the case. There'll be something up at the weekend.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:12 PM   #715
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
Noggie, I'm on the case. There'll be something up at the weekend.
Great! Do not be afraid to use Fastarr. I think you have a picture already and he's quite a straightforward guy anyway.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:15 AM   #716
Child of the 7th Age

Quote:
Was not the hunt Khandr's idea? How can he just go wandering off without consequence? Surely this is not in keeping with the way things would have worked? Sorry for bringing this up late, but it's been niggling at me for days.
Yes, I see there is a problem. However, my character has a major dilemma. How can Khandr remain where he is when he believes he will be murdered and the hunt would seem to be the easiest way to do something like that? If you had just been told of your own death and you truly believed what the person was saying, perhaps because you had already sensed that things were not right, would you docilely go forward with the hunt when you think there may be an ambush waiting around the next tree? I would not, even if I was the individual who had arranged the event. When I set up the hunt, I had no idea that someone was going to tell Khandr he was about to bite the dust. This was simply presented in the story as a fait accompli and now my character has to react to what happened. (We had initially planned that Khandr's death would drop down out of the blue with Jord as the killer.) Sometimes plans are "rearranged" in real life by things happening out of the blue, and the same holds true for rpgs.

Khandr believes what was said to him. He is certainly not feeling too kindly about Uldor and crew since he thinks one of them is about to murder him. Would you really have him stay and wait to be murdered? That doesn't make sense to me. At the very least, he is going to go back to his first wife and speak with her, just as he has spoken with his second wife.

As to what to do with the hunt, that is up to you. If it's easier to deal with, I will be happy to have Khandr speak with one of his servants to carry a message to his hosts and apologize that something unexpected has occurred so that he is drawn away and will rejoin them later at the after-hunt "brunch" which he will have waiting in the courtyard at the front of his house. I am putting up a save. Let me know if you can live comfortably with that.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 11-29-2007 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:04 AM   #717
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I can live comfortably with that. In all honestly, host or not, Uldor wants to go on the hunt, now that he's all prepared for it, and if Khandr sends someone to say that he can't come but go ahead, Uldor will do it.

Sorry, Elempi.

-- Folwren
Old 11-29-2007, 11:05 AM   #718
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

No need for "sorries". The explanation from Child makes a lot of sense; so much sense that imho it would make a cool rpg post to see Khandr figure this out on the run.

If Uldor is fine with just going on the hunt with absolutely no explanation from the host of the hunt for his absence, that's Uldor's business. Ulfast, however, not smelling murder in the air, and hoping to use some kind of potential alliance with Khandr to his advantage against Uldor, will not stand for it and will send a trusted retainer to Khandr's house to find out what's up. I'll post that up when I get a chance.

To Lachrandir, this all looks like petty human nonsense and he cares not.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:56 AM   #719
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Ulfast, however, not smelling murder in the air, and hoping to use some kind of potential alliance with Khandr to his advantage against Uldor, will not stand for it and will send a trusted retainer to Khandr's house to find out what's up.

That's bad indeed!

But good. Makes the story a bit more complicated.

Now this only makes me wonder whether Fastarr should see that retainer and get suspicious. If he'd see it while he's still having a meeting with Embla somewhere between Khandr's house and the fields it would be stuff for a schitzophrenic post: to find and protect Khandr (who may be dead anyway), to go after the other retainer or to stay with Embla and advance an affair...

Poor guy.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:09 PM   #720
Noinkling
Wight

Noinkling has just left Hobbiton.
Pio

So, I've filled my SAVE and got us to Dag's house. I've heard nothing back from bill_n_sam about whether she will be continuing to write in the game.

Shall we just carry her characters for now? I'd like to advance the little part of the storyline we were developing.

I'll leave it to you to decide what Dulaan gave Fálki and to whom and how he presents it.